Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think it’s a great pickup.  he’ll be 6’2” 235 and will lead block and run routes out of the backfield as a fullback as well as playing H-back.  he’s gonna be a swiss army knife and his lead blocking will change the running game.  herman has a motherfucking vision for the offense and it involves massive TE like wiley and versatile H-backs like hullaby and a devastating rushing attack led by guys like ingram and zach evans.  I think starting with 2020 season, maybe even 2019, herman drives this thing to the playoff at least 10 of the next 12 years. 

It would have been better without the last sentence.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think it’s a great pickup.  he’ll be 6’2” 235 and will lead block and run routes out of the backfield as a fullback as well as playing H-back.  he’s gonna be a swiss army knife and his lead blocking will change the running game.  herman has a motherfucking vision for the offense and it involves massive TE like wiley and versatile H-backs like hullaby and a devastating rushing attack led by guys like ingram and zach evans.  I think starting with 2020 season, maybe even 2019, herman drives this thing to the playoff at least 10 of the next 12 years. 

Finally a reasonable post from you. 

This is what makes the pickup hard to evaluate from the perspective of traditional recruiting. This hybrid H-Back/FB/TE is a fairly unique role. We should be excited that Herman is driving innovation on offense. If this guy fits that innovation, great.

It also helps me understand why they were so interested in Henderson that went to OU. Is OU going to use him the same way? I don’t recall that offense doing a lot of H-back sets. Never paid attention to OU Sux however, so maybe they did.

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It also helps me understand why they were so interested in Henderson that went to OU. Is OU going to use him the same way? I don’t recall that offense doing a lot of H-back sets. Never paid attention to OU Sux however, so maybe they did.

Henderson is going to play the position that Dimitri Flowers did.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

At least 10 of the next 12 years? I’ll have what you’re having.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Who has more long curve, DL development projects, Baylor or Texas? The fact that it's even a question is very sad. 

Shhh. Our top targets are still on the board, technically, so there is no reason to criticize our D-line recruiting at this point, history and trends be damned. 

Dawgs247 on Kelee Ringo. I'm guessing this is why Fong's CB for Ringo yesterday was 'undecided'.

(Rusty Mansell) Rusty's Ramblings - Dawgs working Five-Star CB Kelee Ringo

I am telling you right now that UGA is very much in it for Kelee Ringo, the Five-Star CB from Arizona. I know there is a lot of buzz around Texas and Ohio State, but I think UGA is up there and could possibly be number one maybe at this time. He is coming back for the Spring game and then he said he will official UGA for sure, that is three trips in 2019 most likely.. He is set to decide next January at the All-American game. A long way to go, he spoke high on Georgia.

“Coach Kirby Smart, he is a real, real ,” Ringo said. “Coach Warren I like talking to him a lot, I went out to dinner with him and just talking to him about Georgia overall, I just loved the energy of the entire program,” he said. This guy is VERY talented, he gave up almost nothing in a passing league tournament. Not just a little amount of yards or catches, I mean NOTHING all day from what I saw.

UGA is 100% not his number one at this time. Texas is. Any insider saying otherwise right now is doing nothing more than sunshine pumping or click farming. Yes, he's going to go through the whole process before actually committing publicly, so he absolutely could end up elsewhere, but there's no way anyone but us is in the lead right now.

Edited by gordogg24p

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hasn't this guys name been mentioned before?  Maybe a couple of months ago?

No ranking from any of the services.

Yeah, he's been floating around the fringes of our radar for a while. Moved to BR from Mississippi. Tennessee recently offered (though given how many offers Pruitt throws out, that just means he has a working Hudl account)

Some IT recruiting notes

ONE QUICK RECRUITING NOTE

We have Texas as the once-again leader for Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire. By his own admission he has gone back and forth between A&M and UT. While we won't disagree with his own words, we feel this "lead" is much more real than any the Texas staff has held previously.

We'll go into more depth in Scoop II - The Percentaging.

By: @josephcook 

PJC has been quite busy of late with his duties as beat writer. He added the Texas Relays this weekend to his baseball coverage.

MARSHAWN LLOYD

MarShawn Lloyd made his first visit to the Lone Star State this weekend for the Texas Relays.

The composite five-star 2020 running back from DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Maryland wasn’t able to see the Texas Longhorns football program due to NCAA rules prohibiting visiting high school athletes from visiting a host institution on days they compete. He did see the level of athleticism from some of the state’s best at the Texas Relays.

“It’s different,” Lloyd said Friday. “The weather is a lot better. Great competition, Texas has the best competition. Coming down here is great for us Maryland guys.”

The Longhorns offered Lloyd in July and joined the 20-plus contenders for Lloyd’s signature. He said he has a good relationship with Stan Drayton, but is working on building one with more than just his possible future position coach.

“Mostly Coach Drayton,” Lloyd said. “Coach Herman as well. All the offensive coaches have been trying to get to know me. That’s pretty good.”

Texas will get a visit from Lloyd. He plans to be back in Austin with his mother very soon. Lloyd himself noted his mother would play a huge role in his recruitment.

The next step in his recruiting process is to trim his list of schools down. “Texas is definitely making that list,” Lloyd said.

For those unfamiliar with his game, Lloyd noted his ability to move his 5-foot-9, 205 pounds and make defenders miss. He mentioned his need to improve his footwork, but believed the rest of his game was solid.

He’s visited Penn State, South Carolina, Georgia, and Clemson so far. He specifically mentioned taking a keen interest in SEC and Big 10 schools, including Maryland and Penn State.

Lloyd said he didn’t have a childhood favorite, so he and his mother have been taking trips weekly to get a look at his potential college. “I’m going to travel to these different places to figure out exactly what’s the best for me,” Lloyd said.

TROY OMEIRE

2020 Fort Bend Austin WR Troy Omeire’s recruitment is one of the state’s most competitive. Both Texas and Texas A&M believe they have a strong chance at securing Omeire’s commitment, and other out-of-state schools are in contention as well.

Omeire tweeted “decision coming soon” a couple of weeks ago, but at the Texas Relays he mentioned that no longer was the case.

“I thought that was going to come soon, but probably in the first two weeks of July,” Omeire said.

Before then, he plans to visit Notre Dame for an official visit in June and take a trip to Texas A&M with his mother in the next month or two.

Omeire made a recent visit to Texas over the weekend of March 9th.

“It was fun,” Omeire said. “I got to spend time with the players. I was in a meeting with Coach Drew (Mehringer), and we were going over some plays.”

Before he makes his decision, Omeire plans to release a small top list of three or four schools. Expect those schools to be in a warm region of the country.

“It has to be hot,” Omeire said. “I don’t like the cold.”

JALEN LOGAN-REDDING

2020 Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge DL Jalen Logan-Redding is one recruit Texas’ 2018 season can take credit for.

“They did well this past season,” Logan-Redding said Sunday. “I really wanted to see what they’re doing down there and what has changed from the previous years. Texas was a little bit low, and they came back up and got ranked No. 6 in the nation. That’s something that caught my eye. Texas is big. Their fanbase is loyal. I wanted to see what that was all about, and I think I got the answer.”

Logan-Redding attended a practice and was complimentary of both the offense and defense. He also noted he was able to connect with coaches and recruits.

For his position at Texas, Oscar Giles pitched him on both defensive end and b-backer. “I think it was pretty cool the way they have their defense set up,” Logan-Redding said.

Logan-Redding traveled to Austin without an offer from the Longhorns. During his visit, Tom Herman made sure that he would head back to Missouri with an opportunity to be a Longhorn at the next level.

“He came into the office when I was talking to the academic coordinator,” Logan-Redding said. “He ended up talking to me, told me how serious Texas was about me, and what they’ve got going on and seeing what Austin and the University of Texas has in store for me. Of course, he gave me the offer, which I’m very blessed to have. He’s a very cool coach. I see that he’s serious about his job. Of course, he has a pretty good connection with the players. I like that.”

The 6-foot-5, 240 pounder was very complimentary of Texas and told IT he believed he would officially visit Texas.

QUICK NOTES ON CAMAR WHEATON AND KITAN CRAWFORD

-As mentioned in the brief Texas Relays notes from Friday, 2021 Garland Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton is fully focused on track. The only recruiting information he would offer is that he hears from Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State. He has no visits planned and hasn’t sorted out a list of top schools.

-2020 Tyler John Tyler CB Kitan Crawford was a part of the 100m final with Boling and Owens and finished fifth with a 10.66. A&M has been in contact with him recently, but he told IT it’s “mainly just Texas” in his recruitment. He spoke highly of Jason Washington and said Texas was a safe bet to be in his upcoming top ten.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Some IT recruiting notes

Hide contents

We have Texas as the once-again leader for Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire. By his own admission he has gone back and forth between A&M and UT. While we won't disagree with his own words, we feel this "lead" is much more real than any the Texas staff has held previously.

PJC has been quite busy of late with his duties as beat writer. He added the Texas Relays this weekend to his baseball coverage.

MARSHAWN LLOYD

MarShawn Lloyd made his first visit to the Lone Star State this weekend for the Texas Relays.

The composite five-star 2020 running back from DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Maryland wasn’t able to see the Texas Longhorns football program due to NCAA rules prohibiting visiting high school athletes from visiting a host institution on days they compete. He did see the level of athleticism from some of the state’s best at the Texas Relays.

“It’s different,” Lloyd said Friday. “The weather is a lot better. Great competition, Texas has the best competition. Coming down here is great for us Maryland guys.”

The Longhorns offered Lloyd in July and joined the 20-plus contenders for Lloyd’s signature. He said he has a good relationship with Stan Drayton, but is working on building one with more than just his possible future position coach.

“Mostly Coach Drayton,” Lloyd said. “Coach Herman as well. All the offensive coaches have been trying to get to know me. That’s pretty good.”

Texas will get a visit from Lloyd. He plans to be back in Austin with his mother very soon. Lloyd himself noted his mother would play a huge role in his recruitment.

The next step in his recruiting process is to trim his list of schools down. “Texas is definitely making that list,” Lloyd said.

For those unfamiliar with his game, Lloyd noted his ability to move his 5-foot-9, 205 pounds and make defenders miss. He mentioned his need to improve his footwork, but believed the rest of his game was solid.

He’s visited Penn State, South Carolina, Georgia, and Clemson so far. He specifically mentioned taking a keen interest in SEC and Big 10 schools, including Maryland and Penn State.

Lloyd said he didn’t have a childhood favorite, so he and his mother have been taking trips weekly to get a look at his potential college. “I’m going to travel to these different places to figure out exactly what’s the best for me,” Lloyd said.

TROY OMEIRE

2020 Fort Bend Austin WR Troy Omeire’s recruitment is one of the state’s most competitive. Both Texas and Texas A&M believe they have a strong chance at securing Omeire’s commitment, and other out-of-state schools are in contention as well.

Omeire tweeted “decision coming soon” a couple of weeks ago, but at the Texas Relays he mentioned that no longer was the case.

“I thought that was going to come soon, but probably in the first two weeks of July,” Omeire said.

Before then, he plans to visit Notre Dame for an official visit in June and take a trip to Texas A&M with his mother in the next month or two.

“It was fun,” Omeire said. “I got to spend time with the players. I was in a meeting with Coach Drew (Mehringer), and we were going over some plays.”

Before he makes his decision, Omeire plans to release a small top list of three or four schools. Expect those schools to be in a warm region of the country.

JALEN LOGAN-REDDING

2020 Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge DL Jalen Logan-Redding is one recruit Texas’ 2018 season can take credit for.

“They did well this past season,” Logan-Redding said Sunday. “I really wanted to see what they’re doing down there and what has changed from the previous years. Texas was a little bit low, and they came back up and got ranked No. 6 in the nation. That’s something that caught my eye. Texas is big. Their fanbase is loyal. I wanted to see what that was all about, and I think I got the answer.”

Logan-Redding attended a practice and was complimentary of both the offense and defense. He also noted he was able to connect with coaches and recruits.

For his position at Texas, Oscar Giles pitched him on both defensive end and b-backer. “I think it was pretty cool the way they have their defense set up,” Logan-Redding said.

Logan-Redding traveled to Austin without an offer from the Longhorns. During his visit, Tom Herman made sure that he would head back to Missouri with an opportunity to be a Longhorn at the next level.

“He came into the office when I was talking to the academic coordinator,” Logan-Redding said. “He ended up talking to me, told me how serious Texas was about me, and what they’ve got going on and seeing what Austin and the University of Texas has in store for me. Of course, he gave me the offer, which I’m very blessed to have. He’s a very cool coach. I see that he’s serious about his job. Of course, he has a pretty good connection with the players. I like that.”

The 6-foot-5, 240 pounder was very complimentary of Texas and told IT he believed he would officially visit Texas.

-As mentioned in the brief Texas Relays notes from Friday, 2021 Garland Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton is fully focused on track. The only recruiting information he would offer is that he hears from Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State. He has no visits planned and hasn’t sorted out a list of top schools.

-2020 Tyler John Tyler CB Kitan Crawford was a part of the 100m final with Boling and Owens and finished fifth with a 10.66. A&M has been in contact with him recently, but he told IT it’s “mainly just Texas” in his recruitment. He spoke highly of Jason Washington and said Texas was a safe bet to be in his upcoming top ten.

I’ve never even heard of Marshawn Lloyd before today. This cycle has to set the record for most 5 star RBs to visit campus in one class. 

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve never even heard of Marshawn Lloyd before today. This cycle has to set the record for most 5 star RBs to visit campus in one class. 

I've been hoping he'd take up a spot at Georgia or Bama

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I naturally assume that if Eaton is committing today, as opposed to dropping a Top X list (which I assume is what this will be), then he is not committing to us. That's the general feel, right?

Yeah, it'd be surprising if we grab him when we've seemed to focus in on Kimber and Crawford in-state.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Some IT recruiting notes

Reveal hidden contents

MARSHAWN LLOYD

TROY OMEIRE

JALEN LOGAN-REDDING

Malcolm Epps is probably the best comp for Omeire. I've seen people on here say they like Omeire as a big slot, but he's way too lanky and lacks acceleration for that (see 4.8 shuttle, which is half a second slower than LJH's, not to mention he's not half the YAC guy that LJH was). The only spot he can play is a big X, similar to what we're hearing about Epps.  

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I naturally assume that if Eaton is committing today, as opposed to dropping a Top X list (which I assume is what this will be), then he is not committing to us. That's the general feel, right? 

Right, I think the staff wants more data on him before pushing for him or accepting his commitment, and I think they have Crawford and Rogers ahead of him, and obviously behind Ringo and Kimber. I've heard that while his highlights are great, his play by play in actual game tape isn't consistent, and at times comes off as a little soft 

He's said several times that he's deciding late, but someone like Bama or even LSU could probably push his timeline up. I'm betting it's a top twelve or something though

• Like 1