Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Lol @ "Has Ohio State overtaken Texas?"

"Yes sir."

"Well, I mean there's still time!"

That wasn't exactly an ambiguous answer from Ransom. Shows the amount of spin that comes from the "insiders." They're after clicks, they'll report what a fan base wants to hear.

With that in mind, Broughton is probably gone regardless of the report above but the idea that the longer it drags out the better shot Texas has makes sense. If he actually does get on campus next month then I'll let myself believe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This will be a a big learning lesson for Herman.  Don’t be the first OV especially if you lead and he’s visiting 4 schools that hate you afterwards.

We used the last OV for Bijan and we might not land him.

We had the second to last OV for Ransom and we probably aren't landing him.

We had the last OV for Garrett Wilson and that did nothing. Same for NaNa Osafo-Mensah.

We had the last OV for Bryson Washington and it's still a coin flip.

We had the first OV for Chris Thompson and Chad Lindberg and we're still likely to land both. By the way, Lindberg visited LSU, A&M, and Georgia.

Timing of the OVs is a secondary issue, if at all.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We had the last OV for Garrett Wilson and that did nothing. Same for NaNa Osafo-Mensah.

We had the first OV for Chris Thompson and Chad Lindberg and we're still likely to land both. By the way, Lindberg visited LSU, A&M, and Georgia.

Yep. If Broughton is as sold on 4-3 and A&M as reporters are saying, then it didn’t matter when his OV was. 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

small thing but Wilson, Osafo-Mensah and Washington I think only took/are taking 2 OVs - so coin flip for all of them kind of?

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. If Broughton is as sold on 4-3 and A&M as reporters are saying, then it didn’t matter when his OV was. 

He is.

It didn't.

I'm more upset about not having backup plans at least as good as him than I am about losing him in particular, though, honestly. High floor guy, but the only reason he looks "great" to Texas fans is because of how fucked up we've been at DL recruiting for a while.  This is less of a "this is fine" spin, and more of a "well, this isn't really any more fucked up than it was already" spin.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He is.

It didn't.

I'm more upset about not having backup plans at least as good as him than I am about losing him in particular, though, honestly. High floor guy, but the only reason he looks "great" to Texas fans is because of how fucked up we've been at DL recruiting for a while.  This is less of a "this is fine" spin, and more of a "well, this isn't really any more fucked up than it was already" spin.

Are you talking about Broughton?

He's a top 100 guy who could continue to climb in the rankings if he has a good senior year. There's no backup options that will be as good as him, and he doesn't have a high floor at all. He's raw and fairly new to football. The physical talent is there, but he still has a ton of room left on his growth curve. If anything, he's low floor, high ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He's a top 100 guy who could continue to climb in the rankings if he has a good senior year. There's no backup options that will be as good as him

Actually, Collins is currently ranked higher than Broughton on the Looch 44....although I’m sure that will change at next update if they land him. 

DL and DC being weak is a tough combo.

RB and WR need to be guys who not only recruit their positions but can help the program at other positions as well. Add in Warehime and we have 5 guys who are not meeting expectations.

Edited by Goodman

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He's a top 100 guy who could continue to climb in the rankings if he has a good senior year. There's no backup options that will be as good as him, and he doesn't have a high floor at all. He's raw and fairly new to football. The physical talent is there, but he still has a ton of room left on his growth curve. If anything, he's low floor, high ceiling. 

Suit yourself. Even if he gets the best coaching in the world, I seriously doubt he'll be more than "good" (which, of course, would be better than what we're likely to end up with) but back in January and February, when such plans should have been made, there were a ton of guys as good or better available who ought to have been priorities.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

This will be a a big learning lesson for Herman.  Don’t be the first OV especially if you lead and he’s visiting 4 schools that hate you afterwards.

Seems like most coaches who come here learn this lesson the hard way. CDC knows it and has been telling everyone since he arrived. We are hated by every program, the regionals are jealous and the nationals want our talent. 

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Suit yourself. Even if he gets the best coaching in the world, I seriously doubt he'll be more than "good" (which, of course, would be better than what we're likely to end up with) but back in January and February, when such plans should have been made, there were a ton of guys as good or better available who ought to have been priorities.

Who are all these guys we would have had a shot with that are as good or better? Based on the site rankings and most of the recruitniks on here, like Fud, he’s like a top 15 DL in the country.

Are you just considering him way worse than that based on your own personal eval or do you think there are other top 15 DL in the country, besides Collins, who you think we had a shot at but didn’t go after? 

17 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We are pretty bad at recruiting LB as well!

I still feel like we lead for Bijan and Vernon w/ an outside shot at Lathan.

We'll see.  Let the damn dust settle from all these stupid visits and let's see how things shake out.

Or, we can freak the fuck out and piss down our legs.  

No no no, that's not how this works. 

If after the dust settles, and you were right about melting down, then Freaking Out and Pissing Down Our Legs magically transforms into Being Prescient and Intelligent. And everyone on the opposite side becomes Greg Davis Sunshine Pumping eCheese's. 

Personally, I'm willing to risk being a pants pissing pussy rubber over  being like eCheese, but life is all about choices. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

RB and WR need to be guys who not only recruit their positions but can help the program at other positions as well. Add in Warehime and we have 5 guys who are not meeting expectations.

Perhaps we need to schedule another banner to flyover...

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Imo Drayton and Warehime should be fired. Bring in Beaty as RB coach and bring in another rainmaker. Move Meekins to TE. That should give us a good skills coach at each position and enough recruiting talent.

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

We've had one 10 win season and people are already complaining about getting stuck in a rut. This is Texas fandom.

The gap between Clemson and Bama versus Michigan and Washington is big. If your goal is to make it to an NY6 bowl then we are exactly where we need to be. If your goal is to make the playoff and win it all then we are multiple steps behind and Herman seems unwilling to address the issues causing that gap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All of our erstwhile coaches are offensive guys:  samples, Beaty, fedora. If herman balances the coaching lineup, it won’t be with those guys. Could lose them to spots elsewhere. 

It would take some serious Herman coming to Jesus with his buddies versus building a championship staff, but I have every confidence Beaty could be a RB coach. He's been around a long time. Worst case Samples gives it a shot.

You can Wareheim and Meekins or Meh. Maybe you can all 3. Roll in Samples and Beaty at those to spots, respectively. Hire another guy for DL. Done. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We've had one 10 win season and people are already complaining about getting stuck in a rut. This is Texas fandom.

This isn't a fair comment, imo. Not unless we do this 3-4 years in a row. We're coming off a huge stretch of fucking hot garbage. Right now, we're on a precipice, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

The gap between Clemson and Bama versus Michigan and Washington is big. If your goal is to make it to an NY6 bowl then we are exactly where we need to be. If your goal is to make the playoff and win it all then we are multiple steps behind and Herman seems unwilling to address the issues causing that gap.

We're not Clemson or Bama but we're not Washington or Michigan either. We don't curl up in a ball when we have to play our rival like Michigan does, and we don't come up short consistently in marquee OOC games like UW has.

We are kind of singular as a program right now, and that's why nobody can figure us out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

There's more than one way to build a championship program.  Clemson and Bama have gone at it very differently and Herman appears to be taking Clemson's approach.  Time will tell if he's got the right coaching staff and support staff in place to pull it off.  The trajectory is good at the moment, so let's see if we take the next step this year. 

Edited by Stampeder

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I feel like most of our problems stem from the offseason being too long. January to September is an eternity. That and people who can't go more than a few hours without hearing the sound of their own voices is a bad mix.

6 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I feel like most of our problems stem from the offseason being too long. January to September is an eternity. That and people who can't go more than a few hours without hearing the sound of their own voices is a bad mix.

Who died and made you the expert? 

I'm rolling by the coop tomorrow and hopefully they have new statues that will satisfy my TXFB appetite for a few days.

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

Seems like most coaches who come here learn this lesson the hard way. CDC knows it and has been telling everyone since he arrived. We are hated by every program, the regionals are jealous and the nationals want our talent. 

The Hate for TEXAS is Real....

What other current CFB QB gets publicly called "ain't that good" in June by

• a former Heisman winning QB
  • a 4-time Superbowl winning QB

Edited by LTtxfan