Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The 90% part where you indicate all of the reasons not to take him. I saw that you finished with the back door “but I’ll take him” swipe. 

Well, that's not at all what that other 90% said, again, you non reading fuck. I gave no reasons at all why not to take him. I said some of the board might not be excited because he was dismissed long ago or we got enamored with Ringo. But I'll hang up and listen while you find a single sentence I wrote that definitely lists a reason not to take him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

I believe programs, including Georgia, have stuff going on behind the scenes. I'm not sure which is worse though: believing that no schools play dirty, or thinking every school plays dirty except for the mighty University of Texas, who just happens to land top 5 classes despite it's self-inflicted handicap.

I mean, if that's your position, then you have to give it to Herman. Maybe the greatest recruiter ever.

We aren’t as pure as the wind-driven snow by any means, but we have recruiting advantages that allow us to play well under the radar. It isn’t systemic at Texas. 

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys can all hold out for the 10s. We’re wandering the wilderness at DB here. I’ll take the raw materials at this point.  

Agreed, this was a down year in state for DB. We got one of the best in Crawford, and even he might take a year or two on campus to develop. High upside guys who are willing to wait their turn seems like a decent strategy for the rest of the cycle. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They really didn't hire any recruiting rainmakers either. A lot of the success on the recruiting trail is coming from assistants that didn't recruit at this level at other spots. 

If there's a school cheating it's definitely Georgia. I know this is shocking coming from the Saban tree of coaches. 

Do people here seriously think the only way a kid picks Georgia over Texas is money?  Have you been to Georgia and seen the campus?  It reminds me a lot of...um..... Texas.  The people are generally really friendly, laid back and cool.  Kind of reminds me of.... Texas.  Georgia is ranked higher academically than Texas.  I just took my daughter on a tour of Georgia and, quite honestly, I was a lot more impressed with Georgia's presentation to prospective students than I was with Texas.  It's a big time football school and a good university.  Shocking that a kid would want to play there.        

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

We aren’t as pure as the wind-driven snow by any means, but we have recruiting advantages that allow us to play well under the radar. It isn’t systemic at Texas. 

If we paid recruits we wouldn't have lost out on Trey Sanders, Ringo, etc. This current staff just doesn't play dirty (yet). Mack Brown certainly did, however. That being said, I don't think this staff can hold out much longer without jumping in. Losing some of those blue chips has made a hell of a dent in our plans. Ringo was practically a silent here before that coach we curb stomped last January intervened. 

1 minute ago, field said:

Do people here seriously think the only way a kid picks Georgia over Texas is money?  Have you been to Georgia and seen the campus?  It reminds me a lot of...um..... Texas.  The people are generally really friendly, laid back and cool.  Kind of reminds me of.... Texas.  Georgia is ranked higher academically than Texas.  I just took my daughter on a tour of Georgia and, quite honestly, I was a lot more impressed with Georgia's presentation to prospective students than I was with Texas.  It's a big time football school and a good university.  Shocking that a kid would want to play there.        

tenor.gif?itemid=9042075

Agreed, this was a down year in state for DB. We got one of the best in Crawford, and even he might take a year or two on campus to develop. High upside guys who are willing to wait their turn seems like a decent strategy for the rest of the cycle. 

Yup. We don't need DBs to play immediately in this cycle. The 2018 class will be JRs when they get to campus. Some of them will leave early but some of them won't. We need guys that are willing to learn under them for a year or two.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, field said:

Yeah so why did Georgia recently start recruiting like this? It's good to be naive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, field said:

Mark Richt recruited well, but not as well as Kirby.  Kirby recruited well before the on field success too...

You’re probably right though, they’re above board with a Saban mercenary at the helm.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So Herman decided he needed a bread roll with his steak dinner?

It certainly seems that way on first glance thanks to him receiving his official offer today. But Herman is playing chess on a different level, so who knows? Maybe the kid goes the way of Demariyon Houston.

I doubt there is any school in the SEC sans maybe Vanderbilt that isn't actively doing something they shouldn't.  It may be a more nuanced approach regarding GA.  They've always recruited well.  Going back to 2010 they've only been out of the top ten in class ranking one (12th in 2013).  They seem to have recently turned up the heat and the results speak for themselves.  2nd last year overall.  1st in 2018.  3rd in 2017.  Top 5 this year for sure.  As with Alabama, they also aren't going to catch much scrutiny as they are a CFB blue-blood and a cash-cow for the SEC.  

8 minutes ago, field said:

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The influx of new posters has really fucked this board up.

This board has been fucked up for years. I don't think anything I've read the past couple of days is worse than some shit I've seen from people that have posted here everyday for the past 5 years. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I always liked him more than Watts. He is tall and fast, but raw.  He can really take it to the next level with coaching at Texas. (Think his Jr season was the first at CB, right?)

How fast? I can't find any verified times. Did watch his highlights and he was fast enough for the competition in video though. He doesn't shy away from contact and usually wraps up, so that's good. I can't stand a ball hawk who neglects open field tackles or bets the house on a lowered shoulder.

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

$ome rea$on

Native Gawja peaches?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dummy said:

Not advocating for Hester, but, outside of LVBS and Johnston, do we even have any other bodies on the board at WR or would it be preferable to just take 2 for this class? 

There's guys like Fuounji who might have more upside. It's kind of a personal preference thing.

Gundy not offering a 4-star in his backyard makes me VERY nervous, though.

11 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

If we paid recruits we wouldn't have lost out on Trey Sanders, Ringo, etc. This current staff just doesn't play dirty (yet). Mack Brown certainly did, however. That being said, I don't think this staff can hold out much longer without jumping in. Losing some of those blue chips has made a hell of a dent in our plans. Ringo was practically a silent here before that coach we curb stomped last January intervened. 

Not disagreeing or calling bs, genuinely just curious but what happened under Mack? I haven’t heard any of those stories. Maybe naive but I thought Mack ran the state bc A&M and everybody else at the time was wet garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, NameNotFound said:

Not disagreeing or calling bs, genuinely just curious but what happened under Mack? I haven’t heard any of those stories. Maybe naive but I thought Mack ran the state bc A&M and everybody else at the time was wet garbage. 

Tim Brewster. For starters 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There's guys like Fuounji who might have more upside. It's kind of a personal preference thing.

Gundy not offering a 4-star in his backyard makes me VERY nervous, though.

A WR that can punt definitely has more upside. And technically, Johnny Wilson is still on the board - the staff will likely let him OV, but we know how that one ends.

Just now, NameNotFound said:

I forget who it was, but one of Mack's guys once he made it to the NFL or something openly admitted to getting paid.

Other than that, there were apparently many different stories of how that staff/administration would do it. A common one is they'd take recruits for a night out in Austin during their OV, tell them to go to the bathroom. In there, they'd apparently find some cash, and when they came back whoever was hosting them from staff would tell them things along the lines of "there's more where that came from". I'm not saying Mack's staff paid a ton of guys because I don't know that as fact, but we did pay a substantial amount.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, UDontKnow said:

A WR that can punt definitely has more upside. And technically, Johnny Wilson is still on the board - the staff will likely let him OV, but we know how that one ends.

One of the $9.95'ers said he was still planning on taking his OV. I can't remember which site. I got it from Floss. 

1 minute ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

I forget who it was, but one of Mack's guys once he made it to the NFL or something openly admitted to getting paid.

Other than that, there were apparently many different stories of how that staff/administration would do it. A common one is they'd take recruits for a night out in Austin during their OV, tell them to go to the bathroom. In there, they'd apparently find some cash, and when they came back whoever was hosting them from staff would tell them things along the lines of "there's more where that came from". I'm not saying Mack's staff paid a ton of guys because I don't know that as fact, but we did pay a substantial amount.

Interesting. I seriously always just thought Mack was much more of a politician than a coach and had a way with parents. But then I guess it's stupid to think a politically savy individual isn't paying somebody under the table at times. 

11 minutes ago, NameNotFound said:

Mack pioneered some stuff in state that took other schools a decade to catch up to like Junior Days, etc. He also had the benefit of a 9 win season and a heisman trophy winner in year 1 on campus coming off of that awful 2 or 3 win last season under Mackovic. I am sure Mack was not a perfect angel, but as major programs go, as a fan who closely follows the team for decades and compares to others, the program seemed relatively clean. If we weren't, then Mack was just that damn good. Comparing late 90's Texas to early 90's aggy made us look like choir boys. 

Edited by Vertigo

3 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

What you are confusing is the $100 handshakes that every single major program does versus paying Cam Newton's dad $150,000 for him to sign with Auburn. They are very different things. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Yeah, pretty sure you're full of fucking shit. And the "NFL" guy you're fucking referring to was Chris Simms, he said that guys get the $100 handshakes and walking around money left in their lockers or cars after games. That shit happens everywhere, and a program can't control it it all because it's generally all nickel and dime booster shit. This is a far fucking cry from a network that exists specifically to pay high dollar amounts to players and/or family members without detection regardless of the recruit. 

Your bathroom scenario is basically a Mack Brown equivalent to leaving some gift cards in a hotel room, which is generally how it's done now. But yeah, put that on par with having members on staff paying a kid's rent. I'd fucking love to be paying kids, and I'd love for our boosters to be on board with that shit, but they're fucking not. They bitch and moan about upgrading the fucking facilities. 

Kelee Ringo didn't decide to go to Georiga over Texas because when he went to take a piss there wasn't an envelope with 500 dollars waiting for him, dude. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

So many straw men being built in this thread. 
The good posters here didn’t complain about bagmen for Kimber or Lindberg. There’s a reason we’re saying that for Ringo. 

Keep in mind that if a job for his mom was the only thing they did, it is likely not a violation.

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Let’s talk about what schools pay for recruits. We’ve never talked about that before. I’d like to hear all the new posters’ opinions.

I’m sure people would say Alabama but I don’t think they are because of their success. IMO Georgia is paying for players for sure, I know some people at UGA that have told me that. Clemson might be paying for a few players but that’s probably about to change since they’ve been so consistent over the past 4 seasons. OU isn’t paying for players, we (Texas) aren’t. But that’s just my 2 cents 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Fuckin’ Dalton said:

I’m sure people would say Alabama but I don’t think they are because of their success. IMO Georgia is paying for players for sure, I know some people at UGA that have told me that. Clemson might be paying for a few players but that’s probably about to change since they’ve been so consistent over the past 4 seasons. OU isn’t paying for players, we (Texas) aren’t. But that’s just my 2 cents 

The same school that engineered Adrien Peterson driving a Lexus "test drive" for months and that had multiple players "employed" at Big Red Motors? That same Oklahoma is currently NOT paying players? They just turned over a brand new leaf and decided to just be clean now after 100 years of blatant cheating?

• Like 2

Just now, Orange&White said:

The same school that engineered Adrien Peterson driving a Lexus "test drive" for months and that had multiple players "employed" at Big Red Motors? That same Oklahoma is currently NOT paying players? They just turned over a brand new leaf and decided to just be clean now after 100 years of blatant cheating?

Hey I didn’t know about that, that’s new information to me. Definitely makes me think that they are paying players now

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 17