Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

If we were guranteed to land someone with 85% of the talent Evans has but with none of the headaches, it's a very easy choice. But that's not the situation we're facing right now.

What's the threshold where the dropoff from Evans to the alternative is too much to be able to "pass" on him? That's the question you need to ask.

Would you take Ty Jordan over Evans in a pure either/or situation? I might. 

25 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah. I pay for Texags. Got me. 

You’re missing the point. Let me try again. Why would anyone be a snowflake for canceling content they don’t want? Someone cancels the Athletic for now pushing a shitty agenda, and theyre a snowflake. But I wager if someone here said they cancelled Hookem 247 or IT because they felt the 995ers didn’t know shit, you would have shrugged your shoulders or said nothing. So why are folks snowflakes? 

6 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Would you take Ty Jordan over Evans in a pure either/or situation? I might. 

Hell no. What the fuck is going on in this page? Evans is a top 10 player in the country. He'd be our best RB in like a decade the second he got on campus. 

Do y'all really think our locker room and coaching staff are so fragile that Evans would hurt us? But he'd be fine anywhere else? 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You’re missing the point. Let me try again. Why would anyone be a snowflake for canceling content they don’t want? Someone cancels the Athletic for now pushing a shitty agenda, and theyre a snowflake. But I wager if someone here said they cancelled Hookem 247 or IT because they felt the 995ers didn’t know shit, you would have shrugged your shoulders or said nothing. So why are folks snowflakes? 

It was a  joke, one, if we're gunna talk about "missing" things. Two, there is no two. It was a fucking joke. 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Originally came from a national rivals article by Farrell after one of their camps, where he also said he thought Texas was leading

I have heard from somewhere unrelated to Rivals and UT. It’s emanating from folks familiar with him in California. Does that mean they’ve seen his transcripts? I would guess no. We hear about qualification issues every year, although it feels like less these days than in the past. The vast majority are either untrue or lack an understanding of the depths schools will go to these days in order to get guys in. Crawford this year is an example of a guy that may be the best OL in the state, but UT saw no fucking way they were getting him in. Do you think Arkansas won’t be able to get him in though? Fuck, they won’t even be sweating his entry. 

I certainly hope there aren’t issues for the Bunkley kid and I would love to see Texas land him. 

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hell no. What the fuck is going on in this page? Evans is a top 10 player in the country. He'd be our best RB in like a decade the second he got on campus. 

Yep.  Further, if a single player can wreck your locker room, it wasn't that strong to begin with.  Evans is absolutely a take, especially at a position of need.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Of course we take Evans. Are y’all fucking high?

I’m apparently the only high one. You’re in the overwhelming majority. I just don’t like entitlement, and the kid has it written all over him. If we have a strong enough locker room, i suppose it might be fine. He just seems like a cancerous person. Maybe it would be manageable and I’m dead wrong, but he makes me nervous. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Do y'all really think our locker room and coaching staff are so fragile that Evans would hurt us? But he'd be fine anywhere else? 

No, I think he’ll cause problems no matter where he goes. Bama has enough talent at RB that they were able to back off. Wish we had that luxury. 

2 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I’m apparently the only high one. You’re in the overwhelming majority. I just don’t like entitlement, and the kid has it written all over him. If we have a strong enough locker room, i suppose it might be fine. He just seems like a cancerous person. Maybe it would be manageable and I’m dead wrong, but he makes me nervous. 

Somehow Saban and Dabo make it work.  Great coaches find a way.  So the bigger question is, do we have a great coach?  Kids like this lead to titles.  Outliers.  Difference makers.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Somehow Saban and Dabo make it work.  Great coaches find a way.  So the bigger question is, do we have a great coach?  Kids like this lead to titles.  Outliers.  Difference makers.  

The two coaches you just cited have passed on his clown show. 

Im betting a lot of people on this board would marry the hot chick, knowing she cleaned out her last boyfriend’s bank account to supplement her shopping and coke habit, just because she’s the hottest woman they’ve ever seen. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Chili dog said:

Im betting a lot of people on this board would marry the hot chick, knowing she cleaned out her last boyfriend’s bank account to supplement her shopping and coke habit, just because she’s the hottest woman they’ve ever seen. 

Saban hasn't passed on Evans (yet). He's holding him at arm's length because he has leverage, much more than Texas does.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am this way about Zack Evans. I just don't care one way or the other. 

That is not what ambivalence is, and that’s not the way you, or anyone else, feels about Evans. Evans is true ambivalence for us. If we got him, we’d all get super pumped and find ways to rationalize the shit we don’t like. If he goes somewhere else, we’ll all say fuck it and we’re glad we didn’t have him. Either way, there’s no indifference and therefore we’re really ambivalent. Lindberg is a case of general indifference. 

35 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think he can play tackle. He's destined for guard and that's been the case since the beginning. 

I think you are going overboard. Lindberg can play OT at a lot of schools and that isn’t dismissible. 

I was the first, or one of the first, to start negging Lindberg on this board in the spring. I stand by my reasons - he’s already too fucking big; he’s not nasty; he’s not crazy athletic; he got his ass whipped at camps and then pulled himself; and he may not really be a tackle for Texas. Those are issues, but he’s still a high level talent that we’d figure out a place for and be happy to have. But really, tides turn and momentum is heading away from the Lindberg/UT relationship and I don’t think the Lindbergs fully get that yet. Gotta move quick. 

16 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Is it me or does have the blue steel thing going?

8129657.jpg

radar.zoolander.paramountpictures-1024x7

What the fuck kind of reverse fatkid shit is this? 

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If we were guranteed to land someone with 85% of the talent Evans has but with none of the headaches, it's a very easy choice. But that's not the situation we're facing right now.

What's the threshold where the dropoff from Evans to the alternative is too much to be able to "pass" on him? That's the question you need to ask.

Texas had this worked out by targeting Robinson early and staying on him. They failed to close because they weren’t prepared for the king kong-sized dump the program was going have taken on it by recruits and influencers at the Rivals event. They didn’t have a strong contingency there and it murdered momentum, no more severely than with Robinson, who went from a lean to not returning calls. Some of the fix for that is literally happening in real time for us on the 2021 and 2022 fronts with the staff.

I’ll give it to Herman. He may not be able to protect himself from his own illusions and his yes men don’t help, but when outside forces rip his fucking face off, he’s capable of figuring things out. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UTEX90 said:

Who is Evan's comparable to talent wise?  He doesn't seem like a Campbell, Peterson, Dickerson type.  Ricky?   I am trying to understand why he is projected the back of a decade.

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Cedric Benson 

Yes, and I’d rather have Jamaal, who was a 4*.

1 minute ago, Chili dog said:

Bama is very much still near or at the top of his list. 

This is a known thing

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Sorry to hear about your fat wife, Chili Dog. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Yes, and I’d rather have Jamaal, who was a 4*.

A very HIGH four star, top ten player in the state overall, and top ten RB prospect in the nation.  So this is not the perfect comparison.  But I get where you're coming from. 

6 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

1.  Prenup.

2.  Smash often

3.  Profit?

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll give it to Herman. He may not be able to protect himself from his own illusions and his yes men don’t help, but when outside forces rip his fucking face off, he’s capable of figuring things out. 

Yes. And Herman is a lot of things but he's no coward. If your're going to take shots you better not fuck it up because he is going to respond with the same aggression. We saw this in his first year when Meyer was at one of the camps down here checking out Anthony Cook and Herman just showed up as the new face of the Texas program and basically shut his old boss down. 

• Like 2

Sorry to possibly veer the topic away from Zach Evans for a moment - but whats the deal with WR recruiting? I know its not nearly as concerning as RB/LB have been, but it doesn't seem like we necessarily 'lead' for any of our targets (no one knows a god damn thing about QJ - not one CB).

We had two really good WR classes in the last two cycles and already look good for 2021 - is it just not a priority position in this cycle?  If we strike out on OOS talents Wilson/Bunkley - do we take Hester's commitment and keep pushing for QJ and that's basically it?

How many do we need to take this cycle? 

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sorry to possibly veer the topic away from Zach Evans for a moment - but whats the deal with WR recruiting? I know its not nearly as concerning as RB/LB have been, but it doesn't seem like we necessarily 'lead' for any of our targets (no one knows a god damn thing about QJ - not one CB).

We had two really good WR classes in the last two cycles and already look good for 2021 - is it just not a priority position in this cycle?  If we strike out on OOS talents Wilson/Bunkley - do we take Hester's commitment and keep pushing for QJ and that's basically it?

How many do we need to take this cycle? 

God dammit hippotamossesassis.  Stay the fuck on target!

Outside of Demas, most of the other prospects are Meh.  QJ is good and it seems they are pushing but he’s not and a difference maker in my opinion, then again.... I don’t now shit.  They’ll push for Wilson but I don’t think he’s a Whittington/Jake Smith like talent.  It took Collin 2 years to really start showing consistency, I imagine the same would be for Wilson.  I really really like LV Bunkley-Shelton.  He’s a top 100 talent imo.  He’s the type of player that ends up ou and puts up big numbers.  I hope he commits, push for QJ, and swing for Wilson.  Just for comparison’s sake to 2021, I think Quay Davis is better than any of those 3 mentioned.  Davis is the 2nd best WR in the state after Demas.  With two previous loaded classes and 2021 looking good with Neville, Davis, and a few others... I don’t think WR is that big of a need this cycle.

Edited by victory88

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

While we're off topic, is your avatar a picture of you giving the shocker to a tub of Neapolitan ice cream? 

Two in the pink and one in the stink!  Roll hard my friends.  Roll hard!

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Outside of Demas, most of the other prospects are Meh.  QJ is good and it seems they are pushing but he’s not and a difference maker in my opinion, then again.... I don’t now shit.  They’ll push for Wilson but I don’t think he’s a Whittington/Jake Smith like talent.  It took Collin 2 years to really start showing consistency, I imagine the same would be for Wilson.  I really really like LV Bunkley-Shelton.  He’s a top 100 talent imo.  He’s the type of player that ends up ou and puts up big numbers.  I hope he commits, push for QJ, and swing for Wilson.  Just for comparison’s sake to 2021, I think Quay Davis is better than any of those 3 mentioned.  Davis is the 2nd best WR in the state after Demas.  With two previous loaded classes and 2021 looking good with Neville, Davis, and a few others... I don’t think WR is that big of a need this cycle.

You should also keep in mind that outside of the time, it was as much a change in coaching staffs and S&C. Not just time. Wilson might be a year 1 or year 2 guy. But we have the luxury of not needing to rush him. 

• Like 1