Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Offered, signed, attending with 2019 class = initial counter for 2019. If he is unable to play, we could medically retire him and get him off the 85 limit. If he does play and pans out, we could later apply for an extra year of eligibility should he RS one of his remaining 4 after 2019. Watching his recovery from afar (and through a figurative keyhole), I have gone from skeptical he would even attend UT to thinking he will some day see the field.

I hope he sees the field because it will be that much more of a triumph for him and his family for everything he's been through. Even if he doesn't, I'm just glad he is doing so well that he can enter college with his class. That in and of itself is phenomenal and speaks volumes about him as a human being. Even if he is never able to be a part of the team, he will be something they can rally around and use as a source of motivation. He will always have the degree he attains to ensure a life full of success.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

were you awake for the shepard saga last year?

Shep has surprised me. His head's being screwed on right was my big concern based on much of the apparent drama in the recruitment. He so far seems to be getting in line with all the other ducks very nicely. His talent gives him a chance to make a very big difference should this hold up. Lindberg is rather the opposite; he is unlikely to wash out, drop out, or fail out, but he is not as much of a physical freak.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

Shep has surprised me. His head's being screwed on right was my big concern based on much of the apparent drama in the recruitment. He so far seems to be getting in line with all the other ducks very nicely. His talent gives him a chance to make a very big difference should this hold up. Lindberg is rather the opposite; he is unlikely to wash out, drop out, or fail out, but he is not as much of a physical freak.

Shepherd seems to be a high ceiling, low floor kind of guy?

Lindberg seems to be more of a high ceiling, high floor kind of guy? not like he has a low ceiling, at all...but there is more of a question of if he will stick at OT

i mean his composite is significantly higher than Shep (.9407 vs .8958) - overall Shep was outside the top 300 (338) vs Lindberg being currently at 133

Lindberg is just a super screwy situation where a guy takes all 5 OVs super early (May 3 to June 21) but still hasn't made a public decision a month after his last visit and deals with being picked apart due to being a highly thought of recruit for a long time - first ranking in the system is #72 last march.

• Like 2

Just now, NoName said:

Shepherd seems to be a high ceiling, low floor kind of guy?

Lindberg seems to be more of a high ceiling, high floor kind of guy? not like he has a low ceiling, at all...but there is more of a question of if he will stick at OT

i mean his composite is significantly higher than Shep (.9407 vs .8958) - overall Shep was outside the top 300 (338) vs Lindberg being currently at 133

Lindberg is just a super screwy situation where a guy takes all 5 OVs super early (May 3 to June 21) but still hasn't made a public decision a month after his last visit and deals with being picked apart due to being a highly thought of recruit for a long time - first ranking in the system is #72 last march.

I don't think Lindberg's ceiling is that high

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Composite be damned, Lindberg doesn't have nearly the same athleticism as Shepherd. 

agreed, the difference is that he could drop inside and play - afaik no one has said that about Shepherd - who is the classic "take him because he has things we can't teach and if he hits you have a fantastic LT" high ceiling, low floor guy.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

is it as high as Shepherd? naw. but it isn't like he is trash and would be anywhere close to the worst OL take in the class. 

he has value

Edited by NoName

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is right from what we've seen and read. He may have maxed out his frame, so the only real improvement you'll see is in technique and functional strength which makes him a candidate to slide inside to guard. I like the mean streak stuff I've read about him a lot, but guard is not a pressing need in this class.

Hence, surlambivilance.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's ok with me if Lindberg goes to Georgia. It's also ok with me if he signs with Texas. I don't think I've ever been this ambivalent about a recruit before. 

I agree.  Also if he ends up at Georgia then I would imagine Zach Evans ends up there too.  Better at Georgia than at aggy. 

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Brings up a question . . . These kids who are graduating early in Dec and starting college in the spring semester, are they attending high school in the summer to get this done? I never really noticed or heard about it.

I would imagine it depends on the graduation plan, but taking ‘harder’ courses in summer school (chem/algebra2) is very common for athletes because you almost always get an A and at worst a B. Those grades boost your GPA and also allow your guys to remain eligible during the season by taking easy/filler/friendly teacher courses. You don’t want to have to deal with some BS because some English teacher who hates football failed your dumbass RB in week 7.

Edited by Doc Reeves

2 hours ago, Babytime said:

My source is a big money UGA donor.  Take it for what it is worth.  He’d never heard of Lindberg and texted asking what I knew about him because he had just committed.

He's a good one but not going to make/break this class. Que sera, sera.

16 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

You don’t want to have to deal with some BS because some algebra teacher who hates football failed your dumbass RB in week 7 and somehow it wasn't noticed resulting in court hearings and the team being eligible to continue in the playoffs. 

FTFY from a Permian fan. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Composite be damned, Lindberg doesn't have nearly the same athleticism as Shepherd. 

Shepherd has a much higher ceiling than Lindberg. The issue with Shepherd was always mental. Shepherd is a freak athlete for a guy his size and could very well be the steal of the class if they can keep his head on straight. 

I think Lindberg's floor is probably higher because of the mental stuff but Lindberg doesn't have anywhere close to the same physical upside. 

This is where the recruiting services have a tough time evaluating OL. Nobody in their right minds would take Lindberg over Shepherd based on their physical tools. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, it's whatever. We've been in the wilderness and the SEC invasion plus TCU joining the conference has buried Tech. Those are just facts.

And even with our being in the wilderness, we’ve still landed more than aggy or anyone else. But I agree with Sydney, those numbers are about to get much more lopsided in our favor. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is right from what we've seen and read. He may have maxed out his frame, so the only real improvement you'll see is in technique and functional strength which makes him a candidate to slide inside to guard. I like the mean streak stuff I've read about him a lot, but guard is not a pressing need in this class.

Hence, surlambivilance.

This is the big thing. If Lindberg projected to tackle the low ceiling wouldn't be as big an issue. You could live with a low ceiling and high floor if you thought Lindberg could play tackle. 

We don't need another interior OL this class. Especially when the '21 class is loaded. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

This is the big thing. If Lindberg projected to tackle the low ceiling wouldn't be as big an issue. You could live with a low ceiling and high floor if you thought Lindberg could play tackle. 

We don't need another interior OL this class. Especially when the '21 class is loaded. 

He's is good, very good and can play across the line. Lots of value in a high floor OL who can play multiple positions at the CFB level. Just not worried about it if he goes to GA but you can't dismiss his talent and smarts. It's a loss but not one that will break our class or program.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It's ok with me if Lindberg goes to Georgia. It's also ok with me if he signs with Texas. I don't think I've ever been this ambivalent about a recruit before. 

I am this way about Zack Evans. I just don't care one way or the other. 

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So the athletic partnered with texags and now is busy pushing the aggy narrative?

this is an article from Max Olson fwiw, not some article copied over from TexAgs

Edited by NoName

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am this way about Zack Evans. I just don't care one way or the other. 

I actually don’t want Evans. I’m concerned about his potential effect on the locker room. If we were to land him, I might be happy because of the boost it would give our recruiting class, but I’d view it as a Pyrrhic victory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chili dog said:

I actually don’t want Evans. I’m concerned about his potential effect on the locker room. If we were to land him, I might be happy because of the boost it would give our recruiting class, but I’d view it as a Pyrrhic victory. 

If Evans wants it, take him and be happy. He can't do damage in the locker room because it's obvious Herman has a majority of his guys who are all in on the message. Think that's why we hear nothing but positive things about Shep. If Evans didn't buy in, he could hit the portal and be playing for another school the following fall.  But I agree that I don't see him coming to Austin.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

A lot of good it seems to have done them. There has been exactly zero uptick in their conference win percentage. 

Wait. So the first chart shows that UT recruited at an elite level coming off of a Fiesta Bowl win, a National Championship appearance, and a decade as one of the dominant programs in the country. And the second chart shows UT recruiting got worse during quite possibly the worst run in school history? Truly shocking data. It should also be noted that UT's shitty era still outrecruited A&M, which had one of its best decades in school history.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Give me Evans all day. I think they have a strong enough locker room over there. And if they don't, that doesn't take opposing defenses off the hook. It's okay to have a little spice.

But of course, I'd probably rather have a back just as good who isn't a 100% diva, but we don't know how this kid will react to some humblings at the next level, yet. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Give me Evans all day. I think they have a strong enough locker room over there. And if they don't, that doesn't take opposing defenses off the hook. It's okay to have a little spice.

But of course, I'd probably rather have a back just as good who isn't a 100% diva, but we don't know how this kid will react to some humblings at the next level, yet. 

You may be right, although I don’t see him being humbled easily. I wish we had an RB room that allowed us to straight up pass on the kid, though.

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If Evans wants it, take him and be happy. He can't do damage in the locker room because it's obvious Herman has a majority of his guys who are all in on the message. Think that's why we hear nothing but positive things about Shep. If Evans didn't buy in, he could hit the portal and be playing for another school the following fall.  But I agree that I don't see him coming to Austin.

The idea of Shep and Evans together in the same locker room doesn’t thrill me. 

Edited by Chili dog

If we were guranteed to land someone with 85% of the talent Evans has but with none of the headaches, it's a very easy choice. But that's not the situation we're facing right now.

What's the threshold where the dropoff from Evans to the alternative is too much to be able to "pass" on him? That's the question you need to ask.