Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We definitely should get more than one CB and one RB - but who?  

Is Pouncey expected to contribute/play at all this year?  If not - what are the chances he sticks around or that we get his brother?

And as far as RB's go - it seems like its basically Ty Jordan or bust at this point.

Too bad that new targets never emerge after senior year.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Seems like a reasonable close to this class.  20 recruits (273.75) would be good for 11th last year. Leaves room for a couple of JUCO - probably at LB.

QB Hudson Card
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson

WR Quentin Johnston (Currently Uncommitted)
WR Javian Hester (Currently Uncommitted)
WR LV Bunkley-Shelton (Currently Uncommitted)

RB Ty Jordan (Currently Uncommitted)

OT Jaylen Garth
OC Jake Majors
OG Logan Parr
OT Andrej Karic

DT Vernon Broughton
DE Alfred Collins (Currently Uncommitted)
DE Van Fillinger
DE Jalen Logan-Redding (Currently Uncommitted)

LB Prince Dorbah
LB Brennon Scott (Currently Uncommitted)

DB Kitan Crawford
DS Jerrin Thompson (Currently Uncommitted)
DS Chris Thompson Jr (Currently Uncommitted)

ATH Jaden Hullaby

That's pretty much a "worst possible scenario" list. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

We definitely should get more than one CB and one RB - but who?  

Is Pouncey expected to contribute/play at all this year?  If not - what are the chances he sticks around or that we get his brother?

And as far as RB's go - it seems like its basically Ty Jordan or bust at this point.

Per ctj (ymmv with what that means), the staff is aware of what chasing Ethan means re: getting Jordan snaps.

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I want Ty Jordan but he can't be the only take, or we can't make him "the guy" if we reduce the RB numbers to one this cycle.

The only problem I have with him is his size. I haven't seen any of his camp measurements from this spring, and his height/weight is listed all over the place (somewhere between 5'7" and 5'10", though weight is probably more accurate as I've seen either 180 or 185).

I don't know his 40 time or shuttle time, but I do know that when I watch him run, I'm very impressed by his vision and patience. He's clearly not on the elite level of some of these other backs, but on the other hand, if he can put on some muscle without losing quickness, he can be coached to do some very nice things. I can easily see him being as productive as Tre Watson, but you're right, I don't think he could be "the guy". I just wish he were two inches taller, and 30 pounds heavier, at the same speed, and with that same good vision and patience.

47 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Seems like a reasonable close to this class.  20 recruits (273.75) would be good for 11th last year. Leaves room for a couple of JUCO - probably at LB.

QB Hudson Card
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson

WR Quentin Johnston (Currently Uncommitted)
WR Javian Hester (Currently Uncommitted)
WR LV Bunkley-Shelton (Currently Uncommitted)

RB Ty Jordan (Currently Uncommitted)

OT Jaylen Garth
OC Jake Majors
OG Logan Parr
OT Andrej Karic

DT Vernon Broughton
DE Alfred Collins (Currently Uncommitted)
DE Van Fillinger
DE Jalen Logan-Redding (Currently Uncommitted)

LB Prince Dorbah
LB Brennon Scott (Currently Uncommitted)

DB Kitan Crawford
DS Jerrin Thompson (Currently Uncommitted)
DS Chris Thompson Jr (Currently Uncommitted)

ATH Jaden Hullaby

We win some big games this season (we will) that list will look a lot better.

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good luck getting a JUCO RB to join a team that will have Ingram and Whittington next year. 

Ingram/Whittington is a much better depth chart for a JUCO than most other major programs. OU got Stevenson despite Brooks/Sermon being firmly entrenched as starters and being much more productive than Ingram/Whitt. Plus Marcus Majors in the same class and another 4* sophomore. 

Of course OU recruits skill position guys much more effectively than Drayton and has shown they can have multiple 1k rushers in a season, but my point is just that it can be done. As much as we love Ingram/Whitt, a RB room that consists of 2 guys with 700 total yards between them and no current RBs committed is a better opportunity for JUCOs than most other major programs.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Here are his track times from the past season: https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=12685860

Not bad. I'd still rather see a 40 and a shuttle, though, just for football context. Again, I seriously doubt they're elite, but they are undoubtedly not bad, either.

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Not bad. I'd still rather see a 40 and a shuttle, though, just for football context. Again, I seriously doubt they're elite, but they are undoubtedly not bad, either.

His 247 page has his verified times from the opening:

https://247sports.com/player/ty-jordan-46049893/

4.53 40

4.32 shuttle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Here's my thinking... We have plenty of time to still recruit kids until they sign. Herman proves with Ingram and Whittington that the running back position is good to go, we can and probably will have a flip. I don't put anything past him. And isn't Beck recruiting Bijan? I know he's CB'd to the Bucknuts, but Conner was CB'd to aggy. Anything can happen. 

We don't give a shit what you think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Drayton is (sort of) on the case (after he finishes this game of Candy Crush real quick)!

Drayton is so jealous of Giles right now since Giles appears to have locked down his class. Giles is building forts out of cushions in the coaches' office and gets to go to the movies whenever he wants and Drayton is stuck at work trying to beat this really hard level of Candy Crush. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ugh. That’s not horrible, but that class is really pushing the floor of acceptable results this year. 

I’d take that for QB, OL, AND DL (except JLR) all day but every other position would be lacking some. Hopefully we can get Pouncey at CB, someone better/another RB, Wilson or a better prospect over Hester, a late riser on DL instead of JLR, and a stud JUCO LB. 

With the way we have recruited at DB and WR over the last couple of cycles I am ok taking some depth guys this cycle. If we can manage to land 2 LBs and 2 quality RBs this year I would be ok with this class across the rest of the position groups. 

Edited by Vertigo

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have heard from somewhere unrelated to Rivals and UT. It’s emanating from folks familiar with him in California. Does that mean they’ve seen his transcripts? I would guess no. We hear about qualification issues every year, although it feels like less these days than in the past. The vast majority are either untrue or lack an understanding of the depths schools will go to these days in order to get guys in. Crawford this year is an example of a guy that may be the best OL in the state, but UT saw no fucking way they were getting him in. Do you think Arkansas won’t be able to get him in though? Fuck, they won’t even be sweating his entry. 

I certainly hope there aren’t issues for the Bunkley kid and I would love to see Texas land him.  

Georgia got George Pickens to qualify, which was apparently an eye opener in the SEC. Some others recently who were iffy behind the scenes their senior year but still qualified; Javonne Shepherd, Bobby Brown, and Marcel Brooks. Still, prospects here or there don't qualify, like the two A&M DL. 

30 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

We don't give a shit what you think.

And I wouldn’t know what he thought if you hadn’t quoted him, though I understand your sentiments. Help a brother out and put him on ignore. The bot sent the link a couple pages back. You’ll be glad you did. 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Georgia got George Pickens to qualify, which was apparently an eye opener in the SEC. Some others recently who were iffy behind the scenes their senior year but still qualified; Javonne Shepherd, Bobby Brown, and Marcel Brooks. Still, prospects here or there don't qualify, like the two A&M DL.  

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d3a104244752e4b51

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Q: Also, what do you know about Johnny Wilson in terms of culture fit? Despite being from Cali, would you consider him a “Texas kid?”

EN: I just know his family liked Austin quite a bit and since they're moving wherever he goes that's big. Now, can they find something as affordable as Eugene? Don't know.

If Wilson's family is all moving with him and it's between us and fucking Oregon we are screwed. Phil Knight will have an army of child slaves ready to build them a mansion in Eugene. 

Fun moment where satire overlaps with reality.

I don't expect to land Wilson because I expect Oregon to make it impossible to pass up their offer. I hope I'm wrong.

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

With the way we have recruited at DB and WR over the last couple of cycles I am ok taking some depth guys this cycle. If we can manage to land 2 LBs and 2 quality RBs this year I would be ok with this class across the rest of the position groups. 

Not to nitpick, but I don't want depth guys, ever. I want pipe-hitting motherfuckers who want the starter's job and think they're worthy of it. Give me guys every cycle that are fanatical about competing and winning and getting their moments. Will some be prima donnas and will some transfer after one year? Sure. Fuck it. The problem with "depth guys" is that you eventually have to play them. Load up and never look back.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not to nitpick, but I don't want depth guys, ever. I want pipe-hitting motherfuckers who want the starter's job and think they're worthy of it. Give me guys every cycle that are fanatical about competing and winning and getting their moments. Will some be prima donnas and will some transfer after one year? Sure. Fuck it. The problem with "depth guys" is that you eventually have to play them. Load up and never look back.

I don’t even know what a “depth guy” is. If they are not good enough to be a take and potentially develop into a key contributor, what fucking good are they? Does it make people just feel better to see we have a 4th string RB or RT? 

Having depth means having guys who are good enough to contribute behind your starters. If they are not that, they are wasted scholarships. Not depth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes - those happen.  I fully expect to grab an Ojomo or a Hookfin towards the end of this cycle.  Maybe its my bad for not putting placeholders in the list.

Not really a problem; it's one of Rumsfeld's known unknowns at this point.

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

PlayfulImpoliteApatosaur-size_restricted

25 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t even know what a “depth guy” is. If they are not good enough to be a take and potentially develop into a key contributor, what fucking good are they? Does it make people just feel better to see we have a 4th string RB or RT? 

Having depth means having guys who are good enough to contribute behind your starters. If they are not that, they are wasted scholarships. Not depth. 

think lorenzo joe.

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm pretty sure landing the top prospects has always been the goal for every team ever. It's just that you have to have secondary options who will at least contribute positively with the potential to excel if everything goes right. Those are "depth guys" who will hopefully be recruited over the next cycle. It's when you start missing on top targets at a specific position for several consecutive cycles that you develop a chronic weakness.

12 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I'm pretty sure landing the top prospects has always been the goal for every team ever. It's just that you have to have secondary options who will at least contribute positively with the potential to excel if everything goes right. Those are "depth guys" who will hopefully be recruited over the next cycle. It's when you start missing on top targets at a specific position for several consecutive cycles that you develop a chronic weakness.

So you sign a player that you know or even hope that will get recruited over? I’d rather give a few kickers, punters and deep snappers a scholarship than a 9th or 10th wide reveiver that never sees the field. 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

You are all going to feel silly when Drayton knocks it out of the park once again by holding off on signing anyone and forcing Herman to switch Crawford to RB for roster balance.  Voila, high 4 star RB signed the year after a 5 star RB.  Mission accomplished.

Stan "5 star running backs love me like a friend" Drayton

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So you sign a player that you know or even hope that will get recruited over? I’d rather give a few kickers, punters and deep snappers a scholarship than a 9th or 10th wide reveiver that never sees the field. 

I don't totally disagree, but I'd rather have a Daniel Young at 3rd string running back than asking a non-Jordan Whittington WR to move to running back in case of injury. 

Jeff Howe: What Texas tries to identify in prospects who need to bulk up

Andrej Karic doesn’t weigh 240 pounds. The weight listed on Karic’s 247Sports profile at the time he committed to Texas on Wednesday was incorrect, but his actual current weight — in the 265-pound range — suggests he’s someone who will need time to add good weight in the strength program under Yancy McKnight before he’s ready to see the field.

But even a program with the kind of reach and appeal Texas has can’t recruit a bevy of 300-pound agile athletes in the trenches who are ready to come in and contribute right out of the gate and that’s not a bad thing. In many cases, the Longhorns would prefer to grow their linemen on both sides of the line of scrimmage from within rather than focus on getting prospects to slim down upon arrival.

That leaves coaches looking for specific traits and body types on the recruiting trail. Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando described for Horns247 at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention in Houston this week his process of what he looks for in a recruit the Longhorns plan on bulking up. “The process is real, real simple,” Orlando said. “If he has length and he’s got good shoulder and good hips.”

Orlando recruited a few defensive linemen who fit his description in the 2019 class and have already made serious strides under McKnight. Jacoby Jones and Peter Mpagi were listed by the school at 250 and 225 pounds, respectively, when they enrolled for spring practice while T’Vondre Sweat weighed 285 pounds with Myron Warren checking in at 240 pounds when they signed last December. On the roster released prior to the Longhorns beginning preseason practice next week, Jones (275 pounds), Mpagi (260), Sweat (320) and Warren (270) were all listed at significantly higher weights than what they were initially.

That’s an average gain of 31¼ pounds per man, a number Orlando indicated shouldn’t be a shock to those who’ve watched McKnight team up with the nutrition staff to build bigger, better athletes. Orlando said when the Longhorns recruit a lineman (in his case, defensive lineman) the goal could be for the prospect to put upwards of 40 or 50 pounds on their frame. “Yancy, in my opinion, could put 30 pounds on somebody in two months,” Orlando said. “Honestly. I’ve seen it done before.”

In the 2020 class, Karic joins Highland Park four-star edge defender Prince Dorbah (208), four-star Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon defensive end Van Fillinger (250) and Dallas Bishop Dunne’s Jaden Hullaby (205 pounds) as recruits who will likely look vastly different once they get into McKnight’s program.  Even the bigger bodies the Longhorns have recruited like Houston Cy-Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton (286) and offensive linemen Jaylen Garth (285) Port Neches-Groves, Jake Majors or Prosper (283) and San Antonio O’Connor’s Logan Parr (280) who will need to add some weight are guys who each appear to have what Orlando said is a must for the linemen he’s got to have up front (the same, in theory, should apply to the recruits Herb Hand is netting along the offensive line).

“They’ve got to be able to move,” Orlando said. “They’ve got to be able to run and change direction. It’s much easier to build somebody up with some weight as long as they can run, than a guy that’s slow-footed." Two of the best examples of what McKnight can do to bodies who need to add armor, as Tom Herman is fond of saying, are Samuel Cosmi and Ta'Quon Graham. Herman and Co. had Cosmi committed to them at Houston and wound up getting him to flip to Texas and they inherited the commitment of Graham from Charlie Strong, but both enrolled at the program at the same time and have transformed their bodies since stepping on campus.

According to what a team source told Horns247 in the spring, Cosmi weighed 282 pounds and had roughly 27 percent body fat in the summer of 2017. By the time the Longhorns got to spring practice, Cosmi was 17 pounds heavier (295) and had dropped his body fat percentage to around 14 while showing vast improvements in his 10-yard time and pro agility. The same is true for Graham, who went from 284 pounds in two summers ago to 295 over the winter while seeing his body fat percentage decrease by more than five percent.

Reshaping his body also helped Graham become a more explosive athlete, gaining roughly 130 pounds on his back squat max from his summer testing numbers as a true freshman to what he posted over the winter (like Cosmi, Graham also made significant gains in his 10-yard time and his pro agility). Graham (a four-star recruit and the No. 204 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite rankings for 2017) and Cosmi (a three-star prospect and the No. 1,123-ranked overall recruit in his class) are examples of the staff modeling and reshaping both high-end recruits their competitors covet and diamonds in the rough they like through thorough evaluations.

As Orlando indicated, the Longhorns try not to overthink things and won’t turn down a prospect who might need to trim some weight so long as they’ve got those tangible things the coaches need to see. “If they can run they can run, but if they can’t, by putting weight on them you’re going to make it worse,” Orlando said. “I’d rather build guys up that can run because at the end of the day, I don’t think it takes that much time. When you look at our roster, you’ll find a lot of guys that have put on 20-30 pounds of weight in a short amount of time.”

1 minute ago, lazygringo said:

Jaden Hullaby is a RB so if we got Ty Jordan we'd have a two-RB class. Not a great one but two guys who can play, at least.

Personally, I think Hullaby will be pretty good but we should be getting 5-stars, not 3-stars.

Not really being recruited as an RB though, it'd be a waste of a dude who'd be better as an H-back or an LB.

More from the IT recruiting chat

Q: I'm a huge Bunkley-Shelton fan. What's your gut feel on him? Should I refuse to get my hopes up or allow myself some hope?

JW: The more I see, the more I like. I think he’s a take right now. Texas made an impression on him at its satellite camp in Cali and vice versa. He’s supposed to visit this weekend.

Q: Do you guys agree or disagree with the fans suggesting that Texas RB coach, Stan Drayton, has not been getting the job done and why?

JW: I get asked this a lot from buddies. When you look at it from all angles, regardless if he “snagged” Ingram or not, or Whittington for that matter, I think he’s still a work in progress, recruiting wise. He might not have inked Zeke Elliott, but 21 admitted Drayton’s importance in his player development. He adds value (reputation, NFL RB catalog, Ingram loves him, backs buy-in), but also hasn’t closed with a few targets in the last cycle like Noah Cain, who happened to be so close of a Longhorn, you’d punch a wall. Then dealing with a 2020 cycle of backs who are really different in many ways. Especially personality wise. I want to see what Ingram/Whittington/Young do in 2019, and I want to see what RBs he gets in the 2020 cycle. This will tell me a lot about Stan Drayton at Texas.

Q: Over under 1.75239 commits between now and the end of July?

EN: Over.

Q: and Chris Thompson is still scheduled to announce on either 8/1 or 8/2?

EN: 8/1

Q: How about o/u on 2.75298 commits by end of July?

EN: I’m not going to raise expectations any higher than they are. The staff is in a uniquely backwards spot with almost too much momentum in the younger class and not enough with the older. How they’ll handle the next week will be interesting. I know fans would take the first 25 guys who want in but that’s not ideal and it’s not how you maximize a class.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1