Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is the physique of a man intimately acquainted with College Station's spin on butter chicken.

Actually, the butter chicken at Taz is pretty good. If you ever find yourself in College Station, and you have to eat somewhere before escaping, Taz is the best place for lunch. 

I can promise you that you aren't likely to run into anyone there who is not either a foreign student or a disappointed professor who couldn't get a job at a real university.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, the butter chicken at Taz is pretty good. If you ever find yourself in College Station, and you have to eat somewhere before escaping, Taz is the best place for lunch. 

I can promise you that you aren't likely to run into anyone there who is not either a foreign student or a disappointed professor who couldn't get a job at a real university.

I was talking Terry Price's butter soup with chick'n chunks, but good to know - the Indian diaspora has saved me from many an otherwise shitty food desert.

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We don’t want to move on Titi too fast right when we first meet.  You can’t be too eager like that.  You have to play it cool, set the mood first, build a rapport, keep things chill for a while but tease it a little bit to test the waters, and then you start to escalate, and when the moment is right, that’s when you decide Titi is a take.

F+

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We don’t want to move on Titi too fast right when we first meet.  You can’t be too eager like that.  You have to play it cool, set the mood first, build a rapport, keep things chill for a while but tease it a little bit to test the waters, and then you start to escalate, and when the moment is right, that’s when you decide Titi is a take.

This sounds a little rapey. 

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

the Indian diaspora has saved me from many an otherwise shitty food desert.

Damn straight. Funny thing is, up until just a few years ago, there was a different Indian food place here in College Station, and it sucked. Taz drove them out of business, not just because they were better, but because this place can't support more than one such establishment. Hell, there's not a single Greek place in town; only one pupuseria; you want Thai? Keep driving. Around here, if it ain't white, it ain't right. "Food desert" sounds too lively to describe the food scene here.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its my understanding that ‘offer’ is generally associated with scholarship - especially this early in the cycle. Is that wrong?

You don’t usually see PWO’s until much later, no?

Mensa is changing the game offering PWO earlier now too

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its my understanding that ‘offer’ is generally associated with scholarship - especially this early in the cycle. Is that wrong?

Coaches “offer” PWOs all the time.The fact that it came from Horny makes me think it’s not a scholarship.

We probably wouldn’t use another ship on a punter until at least 2021. 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't know, if they found a guy they really liked I wouldn't be opposed to it. He'd be a redshirt freshman when Dicker/the punter's cousin are seniors. 

If we take him in 2020, he’s be a RS sophomore by the time he can start (assuming the punter doesn’t declare early like his cousin). Idk if I’ve ever seen a coach stash a scholarship punter for two years.

42 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Dunno but it would not surprise me either way.

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

CTJ will be gruntled. 

What did I miss? I don’t see the joke. 

58 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If we take him in 2020, he’s be a RS sophomore by the time he can start (assuming the punter doesn’t declare early like his cousin). Idk if I’ve ever seen a coach stash a scholarship punter for two years.

Mack Brown actually did this. I think the punter was something like Justin Smith? Anyway, he ended up never punting in a game and cost the program a scholarship for 4 years. 

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What did I miss? I don’t see the joke. 

Mack Brown actually did this. I think the punter was something like Justin Smith? Anyway, he ended up never punting in a game and cost the program a scholarship for 4 years. 

There was no joke. I was being serious. You had mentioned somewhere that you get more excited about special teams players than most. I was also assuming that it was a PWO invitation. 

Edited by Chili dog

28 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Tom's pitching a tent off of that one. Just realized they set up that court on the practice field, it was a great night her in Austin. For all the tough weather they had for June events, last night made up for some of it.

Edited by Goodman

Grab bag of updates from reading around:

• Hester still has Texas at the top of his list. Might commit before the fall. I assume (hope) this is contingent on whether the staff is willing to take him this soon or not.
  • Wiley has been recruiting Quentin Johnston hard, and QJ might decide before the season starts. Other contenders are Baylor, TCU, and OU.
  • Collins still maintains that he would like to take his OVs before deciding, and that Texas will get an OV after the season is over. Broughton is in his ear.
  • LV Bunkley-Shelton is here with his dad, and they seem to be liking it, but probably no commitment this weekend. This visit should probably solidify an OV, though. Apparently LV's dad was texting Super K for bbq suggestions in Austin.
Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

Is there a reason for Quentin Johnston's offer list? Seven of his eight offers came a year ago (September-October 2018), and then nothing until Feb. 2019, when we made it eight with our offer, and nothing since then.

He has a reasonably active Twitter, and he re-tweets his teammates/friends' offers, so it doesn't look like he's a Porter-type kid who doesn't report offers or anything.

Just now, satyanash said:

Is there a reason for Quentin Johnston's offer list? Seven of his eight offers came a year ago (September-October 2018), and then nothing until Feb. 2019, when we made it eight with our offer, and nothing since then.

He has a reasonably active Twitter, and he re-tweets his teammates/friends' offers, so it doesn't look like he's a Porter-type kid who doesn't report offers or anything.

No clue but ou has been working really hard on him, glad we now are.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He's one of the most quiet recruits of the cycle. He doesn't report all of his offers. Remember that Texas' offer came well before 9.95ers were aware of it.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I don't know if I should even be putting these updates in this thread anymore, but Evans is at Georgia today after visiting A&M yesterday.

This guy really knows how to get the money flowing. LSU, A&M and Georgia the same weekend. 

Could this be anymore obvious? Just gotta squeeze in Alabama next. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1