Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

I don’t even know what a “depth guy” is. If they are not good enough to be a take and potentially develop into a key contributor, what fucking good are they? Does it make people just feel better to see we have a 4th string RB or RT? 
Having depth means having guys who are good enough to contribute behind your starters. If they are not that, they are wasted scholarships. Not depth. 

I like depth guys that can play multiple positions. Maybe not good enough at any one spot to compete for starting time, but serviceable enough to step in to multiple roles in the event of injuries. Having one or two guys on the roster like that is good insurance when multiple players go down. But I agree that taking a guy as a 4th string WR purely for depth is wasteful. If the WR corps is that devastated, we can surely find somebody else on the team who can catch a ball.

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

From the screenshot, all I can make out one of the guy's names: Matthew. Given that it is someone in the know about Georgia and quite possibly from Texas, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Tree Fidy is texting with Matt Stafford. You're welcome.

Have we considered that they both weren't guys?  One of them did type "lol" after all...

IT

STARS AT NIGHT

One night every summer the Texas Football staff hosts the Stars at Night camp underneath the lights of Darrel K Royal-Memorial Stadium. Family and friends are always welcome, and it’s a nice recruiting boost coming off the dead period, before it gets real on August 2nd. There is still the potential for a few more fireworks before July ends.

WR LV Bunkley-Shelton, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA): The Cali born four-star receiver really impressed the Texas staff at the satellite camp in California, and vice versa. This guy can play. The greatest trait you can find in a receiver is the ability to create separation, and lo and behold, that's what Bunkley-Shelton specializes in. He's an excellent vertical H candidate. Expect UT to make a big move this weekend.

WR JJ Hester, Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, OK): Texas is keeping tabs on Hester as he returns to Austin. Reports came out that he was close to a decision, but a source tells me he still wants to take his visits. If UT pushed, he’d probably change his mind.

[Eric aside: verified 6'3.5, 181, 4.65 40 (okay), 4.13 shuttle (good), 36.5 vertical (really good), and natural movement skills and ability. Tracks the ball well, has good hands. Other than Ok. St. hasn't offered, I don't have any concerns. I think he's a good player. The staff is in a tough spot here when it comes to numbers and keeping options open]

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple (Temple, TX): The 6-foot-3 long-striding receiver from Central Texas is another quiet recruitment. QJ just doesn’t say much, doesn’t crave the attention, and basically treats it like a job. Getting him back on campus yet again is another example of the staff pushing for him.

OL Courtland Ford, Cedar Hill (Cedar Hill, TX): Former LSU commit, Ford is making the rounds in pursuit of another institution in which to play. Texas likes him enough to recruit him. He's one known back-up plan in the event Chad Lindberg chooses to go elsewhere. We'll be curious what his senior year looks like. At this stage he looks better than Andrew Coker did. When you're talking about a fifth offensive lineman with tackle/guard versatility that's not too bad.

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) (TEXAS): Big maybe from our dude in the Golden Triangle.

DE Vernon Broughton, Cypress Ridge (Houston, TX) (TEXAS): Fresh off his UT pledge Broughton will receiver a hero's welcome. Now, let him and Alfred Collins spidermen.gif each other. That would make a good meme for the photo-shoppers.

DE Alfred Collins, Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX): All right, you landed Vernon Broughton. Good job, good job. Now the biggest remaining priority in the class is Alfred Collins. Collins has been in contact with UT commits more frequently of late. Our percentages on him landing in Austin are raised ever so slightly but Oklahoma is also pushing hard.

-- We don't have a ton to base this off of, but we still feel like UT will land a five-star running back. It just seems they've made good enough inroads that something will break the staff's way like it typically does. They're in okay standing with Bijan Robinson and expect to get a visit regardless of whether or not he commits to Ohio State next week. They've done well with Robinson's family so they wouldn't necessarily have to "flip" them. If they get him back on campus at any time, and use the running backs in the manner they told him they would, this could get real interesting. Jase McClellan is another one where scheme and running back usage matters. We don't expect Ehlinger to be used as much on the ground as last year. It shouldn't be needed. That will help a lot. Again, we feel like the parent is already okay with Texas. Things with Zach Evans are as good as they've been in a while. We'd still predict Alabama or an out-of-state SEC program, but with him you just never quite know. We check on him more than we care to admit just in case we need to start that slow, loud ascent.

— 2020 Lufkin defensive back Jerrin Thompson was thrilled with his Texas offer earlier in the week and will look to visit early next week. He needs an opportunity to get to know the staff, outside of coach Naivar and coach Washington. It's hard not to feel optimistic for the possible nickel.

— This weekend could be fun. There’s a little buzz in Austin and the timing of Stars at Night aligns well with that momentum. 2021 might be outgrowing 2020’s haul. Recruiting is truly crazy.

Edited by Machinator

Difference between IT and Texags: 

IT: We have no reason to pump sunshine here, but we are going to anyway. It just seems like something will work out, ya know?

Texags: I have heard from multiple sources and you should have no reason to doubt the sunshine I am about to pump because WEARETHEFLAGSHIPTEXASSCHOOLGODDAMMIT and have received silent commitments that I can't tell you anything about so stop asking but we won some major head to head victories in state on the most coveted prospect in the class! I'll tell you what that means when it drops.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bamboozled73 said:

Evans is in all along. We turned down Bijan.  It’s the only thing that makes sense. Drayton will be exonerated.  Signed, longhorn looch. 

Personally, I think Evans has been on a super secret mission to gather recruiting dirt on all our rivals.  Herman is taking everybody down!  We’ll be the last man standing!  MENSA

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

my guess is we would not wait around on his decision (if he were truly torn) and went with plan 1B (karic).  we made his decision for him.

Or.. orrr.... The faux insider was actually a real insider and Lindberg notified the coaches that he was picking Georgia, so they took Karic same day. /Tinfoilhat

46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Apparently he was injured for most of last season, which is why he might be flying under the radar a bit.

Anyone named Derek Lewis is alright in my book.  Do want.  Probably a lot of young ones on this board don't know the significance of roll left.

• Like 5