Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, Huckleberry said:

You might consider the possibility that there are multiple people who hate your shitty posts on their own merits, not due to some conspiracy where the only sock accounts allowed by the admins are ones who think you suck. But I'll stop dealing with your tedious bullshit for everyone else's sake. 

he is clearly the most brilliant poster on the internet. it is OBVIOUSLY a conspiracy with the admins.

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

The two coaches you just cited have passed on his clown show. 

Im betting a lot of people on this board would marry the hot chick, knowing she cleaned out her last boyfriend’s bank account to supplement her shopping and coke habit, just because she’s the hottest woman they’ve ever seen. 

Hey, if she has a good plug...

3 hours ago, NoName said:

agreed, the difference is that he could drop inside and play - afaik no one has said that about Shepherd - who is the classic "take him because he has things we can't teach and if he hits you have a fantastic LT" high ceiling, low floor guy.

is it as high as Shepherd? naw. but it isn't like he is trash and would be anywhere close to the worst OL take in the class. 

he has value

No one is saying he's trash, he is a low ceiling, mid to high floor type.  He looks limited athletically which is subpar considering he may have already maxed out physically.  That makes him a lower probability prospect than one who is athletically superior.

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well the way 21' recruiting is going we should have a ton of commits at these camps next summer.

Seems to align with what CTJ was saying about Herman being proactive against this type of thing. Obviously not a coincidence that we've started taking people earlier than the last couple cycles.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Look, I'm sorry for ruffling all the feathers, but it just makes no sense how y'all say the $9.95ers don't know shit, but then take what they say as gossip. It's selective believing. If they don't know shit, why take their word on texts? 

I don't think 9.95s are the only source on this/it isn't farfetched. Kids shit on each others teams, especially when there's an overwhelming majority

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t even know how to respond to this fucking aggy fake news bullshit. Whatever dude. IT and TFB brainiacs have all referenced the Rivals camp hurting our momentum. And that’s outside what I’ve heard from other folks with connections.  It’s also where Broughton went hard towards aTm until his mom set his ass straight. But yeah, I’m sure your head planted firmly in an ostrich hole is probably correct. 

56 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But the denial of information in favor of your own personal line of thinking is the most aggy thing there is...which is what you’re doing. And to the “we’re doing ok” notion, much of the momentum we have is based in 2021. Broughton got a head check from his mom. 

Robinson and Ransom who attended that camp went from leans to gone. Sure that’s just a coincidence despite lining up what everyone else is reporting though. 

Please stop quoting that insipid word vomit. Many of us were considerate enough to put him on ignore long ago. His banality is only surpassed by his idiocy. 

44 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Shut the fuck up you moron. You are seriously raging for a dozen posts because apparently you don't believe that Oklahoma and Texas A&M committed teenagers would talk trash about Texas.

You have a history of terribly idiotic takes but this one may be your fucking magnum opus. And calling it an "aggy" thing to say is a pussy bailout move that has nothing to do with reality. This is the same group of posters who reveled in the fact that a recruit group text back in the day shit talked A&M constantly which led to Charlie Strong's best class. It's not "aggy" to realize that other schools and their recruits do the same damn thing ours do when given the chance, that's actually the exact fucking opposite of "aggy" thinking.

So, again. Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

When Huckleberry resorts to namecalling, the board has truly gone full tilt on someone. 

26 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Will you fucks stop quoting spidery2banana. Those of us have him blocked for a reason and you just forcing us to be subjected to his retarded comments.

Thank you. This is the correct take. Dude has like 20% of the posts on the last few pages and I wouldn’t have even noticed but for the quoting of his drivel. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But the denial of information in favor of your own personal line of thinking is the most aggy thing there is...which is what you’re doing. And to the “we’re doing ok” notion, much of the momentum we have is based in 2021. Broughton got a head check from his mom. 

Robinson and Ransom who attended that camp went from leans to gone. Sure that’s just a coincidence despite lining up what everyone else is reporting though. 

Every time you quote someone on my ignore list, Jesus drowns a puppy. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I don't think 9.95s are the only source on this/it isn't farfetched. Kids shit on each others teams, especially when there's an overwhelming majority

I believe kids do that, but at t he same time I'm being lambasted for pointing out how much people are saying "well so and so said this", but then they repeat they think they're full of shit on other things. Like one minute Hayden was an aggy lean, then he commits, Demas went from leaving out aggy to committing, Wright liking the longhorns and and then a site is alluding to him taking money. 

I'll own up to the shit I said, but I also don't get why they believe one thing but not another when the same 9.95ers say it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Please stop quoting that insipid word vomit. Many of us were considerate enough to put him on ignore long ago. His banality is only surpassed by his idiocy. 

When Huckleberry resorts to namecalling, the board has truly gone full tilt on someone. 

Thank you. This is the correct take. Dude has like 20% of the posts on the last few pages and I wouldn’t have even noticed but for the quoting of his drivel. 

Tell us more about Clemson, Leal, your sources, and Sam being a retard. You act like you don't say stupid shit and you're above others, yet I just named shit you don't know anything about. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

IT has a recruiting chat going. They're not done but I'll post what's been said so far to move us on from the shit show of the last two pages.

Q: Any candidates for late blooming DL on your radar if the number is 4 this cycle and we don't land Princely (but do get Collins)?

Eric Nahlin (EN): I feel they'll be all over Jalen Logan-Redding as a 4th DL.

Q: Have there been any recent developments with the Staff reaching out to Bijan since the dead period ended?

EN: They've never stopped recruiting Bijan. You can communicate during the dead period, just not in person.

Q: Is there any possibility [Bijan] could visit Austin again before his announcement?

EN: No I don't think so. The shot in the dark is hoping he's affected by Jaylan Knighton who might commit to Ohio State in less than a week.

Q: Who in the 2020 class do you think will be most influenced by Milroe's commitment? I saw him reach out to Chad Lindberg, are they close?

EN: No individuals that I know of, but it helps with the whole class if they continue landing 2021 players that Milroe is recruiting. Fans see Milroe tweeting at Lindberg...what's that going to do?

Q: Who are the targets for Mike LB?

Justin Wells (JW): They’re still locating their Mike backers for 2020. Brennon Scott might be a fall back. They’ll comb JUCOS. 

EN: You’re not going to like this answer but they don’t really recruit for Mac. They recruit linebackers and put the most athletic one at Rover (assuming they both know the defense). No clue how the LB class will shape up. They could take one on paper but four in practice depending on how guys like Hullaby, Thompson, and Jackson develop.

Q: Is the LSU commit a Mike LB?

JW: Josh White might be. Good laterally.

EN: Josh White is an ILB.

Q: Does the karic commitment change things with Lindberg on either side?

EN: If Chad is feeling petulant about it, maybe. He's really guarded right now so I'm not exactly sure what he's thinking. They made sure to tell him before they offered Karic, but they didn't before they took Karic's commitment (not that they should have).

Q: Is [Jalen Logan-Redding] worthy of the 4th spot? He doesn’t seem to be that good, but I’m guessing they want more than 3 dudes(hoping/figuring in Collins as #3)?

JW: I don’t think so. Van filled that spot. I believe the final spot is Alfred Collins’ and if they add another, it’ll be an elite.

EN: Haven't seen his senior year. The question was about a late take. I doubt they'll find someone late better than him but you never know. I'd hold steady at three because 2021 is really talented on the defensive line as well as offensive.

Q: Any senior WRs who might be late-rising offers you will be keeping an eye on this fall?

JW: Savion Williams, Marshall; Caleb Medford, Henderson; Parker Washington, FB Travis

EN: The guys Justin named depending on the need (those guys are all different) plus Loic Fouonji who everyone (including myself) forgets about. He does hold an offer.

Q: Who are the biggest remaining targets on Herman's big board? (And if it's easier, let's say in any position except RB)

EN: Can't miss on Alfred Collins. Just can't. This is the most confident I've been on UT and him. Have to close it out. Johnny Wilson. You know Herman wants to pull a stud out of Cali. Obviously they're still all over Kelee Ringo.

Q: As of today what single RB has the highest odds of being in the class that's left on the board?

EN: Ty Jordan.

JW: Ty Jordan.

Q: On his current trajectory, is Herb Hand a future OC at another program after this year? If so, would that affect Conner's status?

JW: He might’ve wanted that a few years ago, but I think he’s content just coaching up OL. 

Q: What are your percentages on where the running back targets wind up? Evans / bijan / ty Jordan / jase mclellan etc

JW: NA (Evans) / 15% (Bijan) / 70% (Ty Jordan) / 10% (Jase)

Q: Who will we look back at from the 2020 class and regret not receiving?

JW: Ty’Kieast Crawford. But it won’t be UT’s fault.

EN: Knowing our fans it will be someone who went to the perfect situation and hit big. A player who would not have found the same time and circumstance at Texas. If Brohm sticks around it could be Collin Sullivan for all we know.I always liked EJ Smith. I'm sure with his dad overseeing he'll find a great fit. Seth McGowan will probably put up numbers at OU because of that offense. Just a straight up miss like Laviska? Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

Q: Am I crazy for not caring either way if Chad Lindberg is in the class? An extra spot for 2021 seems better.

JW: You are not.

Q: Tell me more about Jerrin Thompson and his hierarchy in the in state DB ranks.

EN: He's better than Alford. The only thing Alford has on Thompson is ball skills, imo. Alford wants to be physical, Thompson is with a much better frame projection. As far as nickel fits those are the two best I can think of off the top. Bryson Washington is a better safety prospect. 

JW (in response to Nahlin): CONVERTED. Thompson is the nickel this defense needs.

EN (in response to Wells): Converted-ish, I wasn't a big Alford believer to begin with.

Q: Who will be our 2nd CB in the class?

EN: No clue on the 2nd CB. That question doesn't have an answer. Maybe Pouncey, maybe (but not likely) Jahari Rogers. Maybe some yet TBD player from out-of-state.

Q: Difficult to predict but should Texas have the kinda season we’re hoping for, big 12 title, be in the hunt for CFP, who are some guys this opens the door for quite a bit? Basically what guys in 2020 and 2021 are very much taking a wait and see approach and a good season would move the needle quite a bit?

EN: The UGA win helped some with the 2021 class. Back that win up with an even better season and it'll help with a ton of 2021's. The guy to watch is probably Tunmise on that front. Beating LSU early would help with the guys they either narrowly missed on or are about to. How much? Impossible to know.

Q: Should I keep my hopes of flipping Josh White with a good season to 10% or below?

EN: It's very unlikely so whatever you assign to that have at it.

Q: Any new 2020 RBs pop up that you’ve heard about that we should rushing over to HUDL to evaluate?

EN: Nope, this would be an odd time for that. We'll maybe hear something in September when new film sees the light of day.

Q: Are there any grad/transfer RBs UT is considering?

JW: Not today.

Q: In regards to RB and WR recruiting do you think the 2020 cycle has shown there need to be tweaks in strategy or staff? Or do you think this is more than likely a one off that gets fixed in 2021 and beyond?

EN: They should have cast a wider net at RB but damn they were feeling good on Bijan (still think they have a slight chance to sign him). I don't really have a problem with WR recruiting. I guess they could have been hard-pressing Quentin Johnston the whole time but since I didn't advocate for that I'm not going to say anything. Small class, loaded position, fans should have patience.

Q: That is a great point on WR recruiting, I definitely need to be more patient. I also tend to skew towards valuing HS production a little more than I should, but having 2 WR coaches and seemingly not paying any attention (or being too late) to Jaxon Smith-Njigba just is hard for me to rationalize.

EN: They made an eval. What's the point of paying attention to the kid if you decide he isn't your guy? I have my thoughts their eval but I'm not going to say my opinion is better than theirs.

Q: Is the Jase dream dead or just hibernating? What percentage would you give Jase and Bijan

EN: Not dead. He's another the season could affect. 20% for Jase and 30% for Bijan.

Q: Why did it take so long to offer [Jerrin Thompson]? If he was even on par with Alford and seemed much more likely to be UT bound if offered, I don't understand the wait?

EN: Because Alford is behind Ransom and they were looking good for Ransom for some time.

Q: Also, what do you know about Johnny Wilson in terms of culture fit? Despite being from Cali, would you consider him a “Texas kid?”

EN: I just know his family liked Austin quite a bit and since they're moving wherever he goes that's big. Now, can they find something as affordable as Eugene? Don't know.

Q: I'm a huge Bunkley-Shelton fan. What's your gut feel on him? Should I refuse to get my hopes up or allow myself some hope?

EN: Ask me Saturday.

Q: If we miss on the 5 star RB’s, is there any consideration for [EJ] Smith to pair with Ty Jordan?

EN: Too late on Smith.

JW: EJ is probably going to Stanford.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have heard from somewhere unrelated to Rivals and UT. It’s emanating from folks familiar with him in California. Does that mean they’ve seen his transcripts? I would guess no. We hear about qualification issues every year, although it feels like less these days than in the past. The vast majority are either untrue or lack an understanding of the depths schools will go to these days in order to get guys in. Crawford this year is an example of a guy that may be the best OL in the state, but UT saw no fucking way they were getting him in. Do you think Arkansas won’t be able to get him in though? Fuck, they won’t even be sweating his entry. 

I certainly hope there aren’t issues for the Bunkley kid and I would love to see Texas land him. 

I'm having trouble believing his academic issues are that serious given that both Texas and Washington are after him hard. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Yeah losing Bijan is terrific. Not a need position or anything.

Here's my thinking... We have plenty of time to still recruit kids until they sign. Herman proves with Ingram and Whittington that the running back position is good to go, we can and probably will have a flip. I don't put anything past him. And isn't Beck recruiting Bijan? I know he's CB'd to the Bucknuts, but Conner was CB'd to aggy. Anything can happen. 

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm having trouble believing his academic issues are that serious given that both Texas and Washington are after him hard. 

I don't know but i think one of the 9.95 units said the staff would take his commitment this weekend if he pulled the trigger. Gotta think they are aware of any academic issues and wouldn't take it if they thought he wouldn't qualify. I believe with the new rules that he counts against the numbers if he signs and doesn't qualify.

JFC that was some of the dumbest bullshit I’ve ever read on surly or shaggy, which is really saying something. Spidery2banana is just vomiting all over this thread today. I must say to his credit, no one else combines abject stupidity with 0 acumen to evaluate prospects quite like him. 

It would be great if we could get blacklab or someone to just perma bam him from the recruiting board, but I guess I’lll just have to settle for ignore.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC that was some of the dumbest bullshit I’ve ever read on surly or shaggy, which is really saying something. Spidery2banana is just vomiting all over this thread today. I must say to his credit, no one else combines abject stupidity with 0 acumen to evaluate prospects quite like him. 

It would be great if we could get blacklab or someone to just perma bam him from the recruiting board, but I guess I’lll just have to settle for ignore.

...and then he negged this post?

lol

Seems like a reasonable close to this class.  20 recruits (273.75) would be good for 11th last year. Leaves room for a couple of JUCO - probably at LB.

QB Hudson Card
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson

WR Quentin Johnston (Currently Uncommitted)
WR Javian Hester (Currently Uncommitted)
WR LV Bunkley-Shelton (Currently Uncommitted)

RB Ty Jordan (Currently Uncommitted)

OT Jaylen Garth
OC Jake Majors
OG Logan Parr
OT Andrej Karic

DT Vernon Broughton
DE Alfred Collins (Currently Uncommitted)
DE Van Fillinger
DE Jalen Logan-Redding (Currently Uncommitted)

LB Prince Dorbah
LB Brennon Scott (Currently Uncommitted)

DB Kitan Crawford
DS Jerrin Thompson (Currently Uncommitted)
DS Chris Thompson Jr (Currently Uncommitted)

ATH Jaden Hullaby

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Seems like a reasonable close to this class.  20 recruits (273.75) would be good for 11th last year. Leaves room for a couple of JUCO - probably at LB.

QB Hudson Card
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson

OT Jaylen Garth
OC Jake Majors
OG Logan Parr
OT Andrej Karic

DT Vernon Broughton
DE Van Fillinger

LB Prince Dorbah

DB Kitan Crawford

ATH Jaden Hullaby

Ugh. That’s not horrible, but that class is really pushing the floor of acceptable results this year. 

I’d take that for QB, OL, AND DL (except JLR) all day but every other position would be lacking some. Hopefully we can get Pouncey at CB, someone better/another RB, Wilson or a better prospect over Hester, a late riser on DL instead of JLR, and a stud JUCO LB. 

• Like 3

Q: Also, what do you know about Johnny Wilson in terms of culture fit? Despite being from Cali, would you consider him a “Texas kid?”

EN: I just know his family liked Austin quite a bit and since they're moving wherever he goes that's big. Now, can they find something as affordable as Eugene? Don't know.

If Wilson's family is all moving with him and it's between us and fucking Oregon we are screwed. Phil Knight will have an army of child slaves ready to build them a mansion in Eugene. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I want Ty Jordan but he can't be the only take

I don't want to bank on next year, but it might be wise to snag another APB hybrid this year with Wheaton/Campbell/LJ in '21 (expecting to get 2 of 3). I wish we were doing better with Achane, he's a great fit for this class.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Phil Knight will have an army of child slaves ready to build them a mansion in Eugene. 

Rankings mean nothing, but Wilson dropped a star and is less likely to get the Oregon boosters excited in the 70s than he was in the 10s. Save me the corrections on this, I know it's a small thing, but it's not insignificant.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

QB Hudson Card
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson

OT Jaylen Garth
OC Jake Majors
OG Logan Parr
OT Andrej Karic

DT Vernon Broughton
DE Van Fillinger

LB Prince Dorbah

DB Kitan Crawford

ATH Jaden Hullaby

hopefully i am not about to incite an insane surly recruiting thread bonanza by asking a parachute in question here but has something changed on lindberg in light of karic commitment?  are we no longer leading there?

we need more than one rb.

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

hopefully i am not about to incite an insane surly recruiting thread bonanza by asking a parachute in question here but has something changed on lindberg in light of karic commitment?  are we no longer leading there?

We're still sort of going after him, but we only really need 4 linemen in the class and we have two interior guys and two tackles. He'd be a nice swing piece, but he's hardly a must-have anymore.

The staff definitely didn't want to wait for Lindberg to quit pussyfooting if it meant missing on a good developmental tackle project like Karic.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

What's the JUCO RB outlook like this year? There's only one ranked on 247 and it's a 3* to Memphis. JUCOs seem to pop up late in the cycle so maybe that's a route we can explore. Maybe someone like Rhamondre Stevenson will pop up. I'd be kind of ok with Jordan/Richardson and a high floor JUCO. It'd be dissappointing but it wouldn't 

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

What's the JUCO RB outlook like this year? There's only one ranked on 247 and it's a 3* to Memphis. JUCOs seem to pop up late in the cycle so maybe that's a route we can explore. Maybe someone like Rhamondre Stevenson will pop up. I'd be kind of ok with Jordan/Richardson and a high floor JUCO. It'd be dissappointing but it wouldn't 

Good luck getting a JUCO RB to join a team that will have Ingram and Whittington next year. 

30 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

QB Hudson Card
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson

OT Jaylen Garth
OC Jake Majors
OG Logan Parr
OT Andrej Karic

DT Vernon Broughton
DE Van Fillinger

LB Prince Dorbah

DB Kitan Crawford

ATH Jaden Hullaby

Looks accurate but maybe take out the 4th DL and are a second CB like pouncey. Definitely add a second RB as well

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

😉