Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, Sejjr said:

And what round was Josh Jacobs drafted in? You are cherry picking the absolute pinnacle of the NFL front office, but the fact is there are Barton Simmons level troglodytes picking talent in the NFL like Mike Mayock in Oakland. At least half the teams in the NFL suck at drafting, be it “best talent available” or for need. And those teams guess wrong regularly on the best talent available. 

Either way, projecting high schoolers to the NFL while creating these rankings is pretty fucking arrogant considering how many professional scouts get it wrong going from college to high school. Just say the rankings are based on metrics and your fantasy camp opinions and be done with it. 

oh, come on. Josh Jacobs started picking up steam literally right before NSD.

dude got his Bama offer 1/29 and took an OV on 1/30. I believe he had other offers not on his 247 timeline but they were all within about a week of NSD. 

guys are going to flash super late. this is an example of that. and fwiw, he was still the #4 composite prospect in OK (247 had him as the #260 national prospect and #2 in OK, a 4*)

also, shitting on Mayock? that is a new one. generally he is pretty well thought of - significantly better thought of than guys like McShay. 

people get worked up about this every year. remember last year when Kenyon Green got reclassified from OT to OG for like 3 days?

Part of the issue in all of this is that guys like Wiltfong and Simmons aspire to be the next McShay and/or Kiper and this is their big stage to do it. Simmons thinks he’s brilliant and he’s a straight up fucking imbecile. He’s chronically wrong on almost anything in which he writes. I’ve heard him in interviews and he’ll use more platitudes than a politician. He actually makes Todd McShay seem informed. 

Wiltfong is nothing but a shill for various coach agendas. He wants to be a part of a staff somewhere, so he’s ingratiated himself with different up and coming staff members at various schools and if he’ll just.pimp.hard.enough. maybe someone will really want him. 

Fuck both of those shitheads and sadly, they’re better than Farrell and the garbage over at Rivals. 

• Like 5

Just now, closetojumping said:

It’s fun bloodsport to never own a position and be the guy yelling “kick his ass!!” in the back of the crowd. You do a pretty good job of playing that role on this board. We all have our parts to play. 

There are only a few posters I can think of who need their ass kicked and you are not one of them. Also, I’m not a yell from the back of the crowd kind of guy, too busy eating popcorn.

Didn’t you make a vow related to the possibility of Jahari Rogers committing to Florida? Someone help me out here.

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Part of the issue in all of this is that guys like Wiltfong and Simmons aspire to be the next McShay and/or Kiper and this is their big stage to do it. Simmons thinks he’s brilliant and he’s a straight up fucking imbecile. He’s chronically wrong on almost anything in which he writes. I’ve heard him in interviews and he’ll use more platitudes than a politician. He actually makes Todd McShay seem informed. 

You know, that whole Yale thing.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s fun bloodsport to never own a position and be the guy yelling “kick his ass!!” in the back of the crowd. You do a pretty good job of playing that role on this board. We all have our parts to play. 

Regarding, “never owning a position”, I do own my position. I have no sources and therefore don’t attempt to act like I do. Even if I did have sources, I’d likely refrain. 

All recruiting stories are based on hearsay and tidbits from teenaged boys whose dicks get hard during every wind change. I’ll continue to try and avoid taking a hard line on their final decision because I couldn’t even predict what I would do as a teenager. There’s no way anyone around me could have envisioned my next move.

Recruiting is something I follow because it’s interesting to watch the team being built from the ground up. Witnessing these reporters and insiders lob grenades at one another and get roasted by fans is another  aspect I enjoy. Yes, I join in on the roasting fun from time to time, but it’s all in fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

quote-the-whole-thing-about-bullying-is-

Nahlin on Karic and Lindberg

Often you'll see an unheralded take celebrated because there's a lot of trust in the staff, but I've long been a fan.

I had him as my #30 player in state in February. So, needless to say I'm a big believer in his long-term trajectory.

Now, to figure out how this came together. 

Yesterday I was asked if they were pushing for Lindberg and/or Karic. At the time I thought they were still waiting out Lindberg but I circled back to the board last night to say I'd check further. Something felt imminent and I felt Karic could be a take but I wanted to check further today. Karic saved me a few calls.

Texas gets an upside offensive tackle not dissimilar to Sam Cosmi. Cosmi, I think, had more upside coming in and was already bigger, but there are some similarities: finishing blocks, project well to both pass and run blocking, potential at left tackle, etc. 

I've felt Texas only wants four offensive linemen in the class barring someone being too good to turn down. What that means for Lindberg we'll have to wait and see. He's clearly unsettled on a decision and Texas didn't want to miss out on Karic.

For now, UT's class features two tackles and two interior linemen. It will probably shake out with Garth as a left tackle, Parr as a guard, Majors as a center, and Karic as a right tackle.

• Like 1

We're at 11 commits with most people saying we will take 20-23.  Numbers are starting to get tight.

Safety- Thompson and Thompson Jr

CB-  Pouncey?

LB-  who the hell knows

DL- Collins

WR-  QJ, LV Bunkley-Shelton

RB-  who the hell knows

2 spots for Safety, 1 for CB, 1-2 for LB, 1 for DL, 2 for WR, and 1 for RB

That's 8-9 spots right there which should put us at 20.  Looks like Lindberg, Princely, Hester, and Jordan are going to be fighting for remaining spots if we have them available.  Pretty sure Hester and Jordan would pull the trigger if the staff will take their commitments.  Princely and Lindberg may have waited too long, not sure where you pull numbers from at this point to make room for them.   We will keep 2-3 spots open for Wilson, Ringo, and an elite RB if Drayton can wake up which would put us at 22-23 if that were to happen.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm fairly curious as to which schools are pursuing Lindberg, if Texas isn't going to take him (or if he doesn't want to come).

There was always Stanford smoke, wonder if he’s still a take and can get in. Don’t think he OVd

Edited by RGBIII

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

I think I read Georgia was the main threat.  Maybe LSU too.

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Georgia and LSU are the main competition for Lindberg. Especially Georgia.

Georgia might not have room and/or might have other players higher on their board. LSU could be a possibility.

Just now, RGBIII said:

There was always Stanford smoke, wonder if he’s still a take and can get in. Don’t think he OVd

Could be, but he's out of OVs now.

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We're at 11 commits with most people saying we will take 20-23.  Numbers are starting to get tight.

Safety- Thompson and Thompson Jr

CB-  Pouncey?

LB-  who the hell knows

DL- Collins

WR-  QJ, LV Bunkley-Shelton

RB-  who the hell knows

2 spots for Safety, 1 for CB, 1-2 for LB, 1 for DL, 2 for WR, and 1 for RB

That's 8-9 spots right there which should put us at 20.  Looks like Lindberg, Princely, Hester, and Jordan are going to be fighting for remaining spots if we have them available.  Pretty sure Hester and Jordan would pull the trigger if the staff will take their commitments.  Princely and Lindberg may have waited too long, not sure where you pull numbers from at this point to make room for them.   We will keep 2-3 spots open for Wilson, Ringo, and an elite RB if Drayton can wake up which would put us at 22-23 if that were to happen.  

Texas is currently at 79 ships and 12 seniors, which includes Braun currently. Outside of Ehlinger and Cosmi, there is not a underclassmen that projects to the NFL. There are several that may want to grad transfer for a chance to play their senior seasons.

So Texas has 7 more spots before attrition. Unlike aggy, who is at 85 with 7 seniors, and plans to take 25 in this class.

Edited by HtownHorn

The Ty Jordan stuff makes me nervous.  He's a take regardless of how poorly they've fucked RB recruiting. He's one even more so now that they've presumably lost out on Bijan.

Plus his name is Ty-Coreous.

They're gonna fuck this up. 

Edited by Post Oak