Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

29 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

What I don’t understand: if all of these recruits are privately discussing payments for visits, why isn’t there ever a social media whistle-blower who got jilted by a major program? How does that never happen with these otherwise-volatile recruitments? 

You mean if hypothetically a player's social media accounts got hacked by someone who was mad at the kid or at least the kid accidentally left his shit logged on so the person downloaded as much as they could which included a video of the guy smoking weed and exchanging text messages with school officials regarding payments received and then waited until the day of the NFL Draft to drop all that shit?  How does that never happen?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

One of the sites (IT maybe) has mentioned that Loic Fouonji is someone Texas is keeping warm.  I'm guessing WR is one of those positions Texas waits to see if there are any Senior risers. 

There are about a dozen good candidates to be "late risers" or guys we circle back on at the position in the area, including Loic, Medford, Mims, Carpenter, Sullivan, Williams, Dixon. Some of these guys won't reciprocate interest, but this is the easiest position to adequately fill in college football, especially at Texas 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, deech said:

You mean if hypothetically a player's social media accounts got hacked by someone who was mad at the kid or at least the kid accidentally left his shit logged on so the person downloaded as much as they could which included a video of the guy smoking weed and exchanging text messages with school officials regarding payments received and then waited until the day of the NFL Draft to drop all that shit?  How does that never happen?

No, I don't mean an insane outlier of a situation.  I mean a player on Instagram, Telescope or FB Live broadcasting a tell-all on the inner workings of their recruitment.  Seems like this would happen far more since fans seem to be so certain of the particulars of these payments..

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

46 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

What I don’t understand: if all of these recruits are privately discussing payments for visits, why isn’t there ever a social media whistle-blower who got jilted by a major program? How does that never happen with these otherwise-volatile recruitments? 

41 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Snitches and talkers get stitches and walkers.

Another thing is it's one thing to know something and quite another to prove it.  

4 hours ago, Luka Skywalker said:

“It wasn’t football for Zachary,” Sterling said. “It’s really still not. He’s really good at it, but football is just not him. He don’t watch football. He don’t talk about football. None of that. I won’t say it’s not something he doesn’t want to do, because of course he wants to do it. But he just wasn’t attracted to it. It just didn’t catch his attention.”

So he doesn't hate to lose. 

Pass.

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Following his press conference at the Texas High School Coaches Association Convention & Coaching School in Houston last week, Drayton was asked by Horns247’s Jeff Howe that when the dust settles on the 2020 cycle if he feels the Longhorns will land a running back who can make the pro-spread offense go. “Absolutely,” Drayton said. “There’s enough in this state, obviously across this country where we will find a system fit. We will find a system-fit back.”

Well what the fuck do you think he's going to say??!?  "No, we're not going to land a running back that fits our offense because I'm going to fuck up running back recruiting for the second straight year."  $9.95 well spent on this report.

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

He's got a nice offer list: OU, Mich, tOSU, Jawja, KSU, Neb, WVU...  Is he a JAG or what?  Confused.

As TARS has stated, his offer list isn't overflowing with guys looking to take his commitment at the moment. He's ranked highly by services, but that might change as lots of guys think he's a JAG. I also generally subscribe to the notion of Oklahoma receivers that aren't wanted by OU or Gundy seems like a bad sign. But I'm willing to have my mind changed. 

• Like 1

No, I don't mean an insane outlier of a situation.  I mean a player on Instagram, Telescope or FB Live broadcasting a tell-all on the inner workings of their recruitment.  Seems like this would happen far more since fans seem to be so certain of the particulars of these payments..

Well, some point in the process presumably involves a bagman explaining what would happen to the player/family if the IRS ever found out about those tens, or hundreds, of thousands of dollars in undeclared income.

1 hour ago, thepop said:

The 3 Texas fans who convinced themselves we had a shot with Wilson are going to be upset.

if you don't think Texas had somewhat of a shot you must not have been paying much attention based on quotes, time spent, etc.

not like this was Justin Flowe who said he would come and was interested and never did. recently it obv started trending away quickly but to sit here and act like Texas never had a shot is wrong

wrong the west wing GIF

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, the best out of state school other than Texas showing interest appears to be...  Baylor.

Posted about this last week and got called out by a few, but his HUDL isn't overly impressive.  Compare/contrast against someone like Q. Johnston and it's clear he's not on the same level athletically.  Perhaps he has fly-paper hands and QJ has hands of stone.  But as a pure athlete it's not close.  I'm hoping we keep grinding on prospects or hold the 'ship altogether.  WRs are in abundance and we're not in dire need.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

if you don't think Texas had somewhat of a shot you must not have been paying much attention based on quotes, time spent, etc.

not like this was Justin Flowe who said he would come and was interested and never did. recently it obv started trending away quickly but to sit here and act like Texas never had a shot is wrong

wrong the west wing GIF

I paid attention. I’ve also followed recruiting for long enough now to know he wasn’t going to come here.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

wrong the west wing GIF

most on here were not optimistic because $oregon$, nevermind how much he liked texas.  

hint, texas does not win many recruitments when recruits have oregon high on their list.