Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

(Greg Biggins) Four-Star WR LV Bunkley-Shelton raves about Texas

Gardena (Calif.) Serra wide out LV Bunkley-Shelton visited Texas over the weekend and the Horns made a big impression.

Bunkley-Shelton has had a strong off-season and has made a nice jump in his game over the last year. He has gotten bigger, stronger and faster and was already one of the most skilled pass catchers in terms of his hands and route running in the entire country.

Bunkley-Shelton is probably more quick then fast, but his long speed has improved and he’s such a developed route runner, he can set up a corner and run right past them. He just knows how to get open and is easily among the most polished pass catchers in this year’s 2020 crop.

Bunkley-Shelton’s recruitment has been interesting to follow. He has taken several unofficial visits to schools outside the region and been all over the west as well. This past weekend, Bunkley-Shelton checked out Austin and the Longhorns are definitely in this one.

“I loved it in Austin,” Bunkley-Shelton said. “It’s a lot like L.A (Los Angeles) so that would be an easy transition for me. The people are awesome, everywhere we went, whether it was a restaurant or a BBQ spot, everyone was super cool and generally excited to have me there. My favorite part of the visit was probably when I first got to the hotel.

"We headed to the restaurant inside and a few Longhorn fans were at the bar. They actually knew who I was and wanted to take pictures with me, it was insane. They wanted to hang out and talk Texas football, that has never happened on any of the other visits I’ve been on. I definitely had a home vibe there, like I was where I was supposed to be."

Bunkley-Shelton was already familiar with the Horns coaching staff after working with them at a Satellite Camp at Cal Lutheran earlier in the summer.

“Yeh I got to know them well there and I like them a lot,” Bunkley-Shelton said. “I spent a lot of time with coach Drew (Mehringer) on my visit and I also spent some quality time with coach Herman. We toured the facilities and he showed me the plans for the updated DKR Stadium and it’s going to be bananas. I also did a photo shoot and chilled in the players lounge.

"I had some intense games of ping pong with coach Drew, he beat me but I promised him the next time I’m out there, I’m going to beat him. Scheme fit is another plus. They have some big receivers but they told me they want a route runner that catches everything and I feel I’m the best in the country at both of those things. I like coach Beck’s offense a lot and feel I would fit in really well there."

Bunkley-Shelton said the his next move is to cut his list down to five and Texas will definitely be on it. “Texas is a very realistic option for me,” Bunkley-Shelton said. “I feel we’re on the same page in terms of what I can bring to the team and what they want out of me. I’m confident I could do big things there and develop in to the player and person I want to be down the road. This was definitely one of my best visits and I’ll be back for an official visit for sure.

"I’m going to take all my official visits in the fall and then announce at the All-American Bowl. I really like Washington and USC a lot and Arizona State is still up there for me as well. Ohio State still wants me to visit too, even with all the receiver commits but I'm not sure about that right now. Like I said, I need to cut my list down a bit and then I'll go from there."

Biggins added:

Texas did a great job with LV and is right there at the top of his list. USC is still in the mix and is kind of the childhood dream school and where most of his family want him but their recruitment has been hot and cold for the last year. Washington is the other school really high on his list and he'll officially visit all of them during the season.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

"We headed to the restaurant inside and a few Longhorn fans were at the bar. They actually knew who I was and wanted to take pictures with me, it was insane. They wanted to hang out and talk Texas football, that has never happened on any of the other visits I’ve been on. I definitely had a home vibe there, like I was where I was supposed to be."

Nice work by the Texas support staff.

• Like 3

Someone asked Greg if he was going to put in a prediction, and his response:

Not yet, LV is a great kid but also the kind of kid that I think is pretty impressionable and could change his mind on a school 3-4 times before he's really ready to commit anywhere. I feel good where Texas is at but I'm pretty conservative with CB picks so I'm going to hold off a bit.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nice work by the Texas support staff.

It was probably Ehlinger and Del Conte in Groucho masks

"I recognize you, do you recognize this here fella seeee?"

"oh yahhh seeee I know this cat he's a recruit over there at the university ya seee"

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

I am not saying that payments do not occur, but all the complaining about another school paying more money for a recruit that doesn't select Texas is getting pretty old. If we wind up landing Bijan and LVB, many other schools' fans will make the same claims about Texas. Maybe my sarcasm- meter needs calibrating. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I am not saying that payments do not occur, but all the complaining about another school paying more money for a recruit that doesn't select Texas is getting pretty old. If we wind up landing Bijan and LVB, many other schools' fans will make the same claims about Texas. Maybe my sarcasm- meter needs calibrating. 

dude, no one is saying that about every recruit we lose.  but there are certain schools that do not hide that they play that game.  when a recruit lists a majority of those schools in their list, there's a fucking reason.  and there's a reason why we usually do not win those battles.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Someone posted this earlier - but I'm listening to it now and wanted to make sure others see it.  This podcast/interview with Bryan Carrington is fantastic.  Nearly an hour of Carrington talking about his life, how he got into recruiting (volunteering at UH for two years), and making a name for himself nationally.  Give it a listen:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ep-101-the-recruiter-bryan-carrington/id1157493210?i=1000441920575

The OU/Norman shade is a nice bonus.

Is this the same guy, or is there are another podcast in the works?

47 minutes ago, TheKid said:

I just wanna say damn Ringo’s mom is fine as hell. Second, how much did Georgia pay this kid to go to Georgia

You can tell they upped their offer between pic 2 and 3 because her nip stiffened.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This one has been done. GA played it well from the jump, mom works for the airlines and GA was the first to make sure a plan was in place that takes care of them both. I can't see the Ringo's backing out of it.

Edited by Goodman

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

This one has been done. GA played it well from the jump, mom works for the airlines and GA was the first to make sure a plan was in place that takes care of them both. I can't see the Ringo's backing out of it.

What the fuck are you trying to imply here?  She works for American as a F/A.  How is that relevant to being taken care of.  Are you saying they got some management clod at Delta who’s a Georgia backer to hire her into Delta management?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What the fuck are you trying to imply here?  She works for American as a F/A.  How is that relevant to being taken care of.  Are you saying they got some management clod at Delta who’s a Georgia backer to hire her into Delta management?

tenor.gif?itemid=4527817

50 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

dude, no one is saying that about every recruit we lose.  but there are certain schools that do not hide that they play that game.  when a recruit lists a majority of those schools in their list, there's a fucking reason.  and there's a reason why we usually do not win those battles.

I get this, but most of those schools are also just the best programs in college football.  If a kid is considering tOSU, Clemson, Alabama and Georgia it doesn't necessarily mean their dirty.  It could legitimately mean they want to go to the NFL.  Clemson has won two national championships recently and puts a ton of guys into the first round.  It isn't insane to want to go there.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

No, no one is saying that about every recruit we lose. It’s being said about every recruit we miss out on to aggy, Jawja, tOSU, Oregon, USC, Clemson, Bama.. hell, even Florida when Rogers committed there. I get it, they pay players, but does it really need to be the center of the fucking circle jerk every time one of our top targets commits to one of those schools? It’s progressively gotten to the point where it’s turning aggyish. We know they pay, we know we don’t pay (or at least enough idk), but get over it. No need to bitch every. Single. Time. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

No, no one is saying that about every recruit we lose. It’s being said about every recruit we miss out on to aggy, Jawja, tOSU, Oregon, USC, Clemson, Bama.. hell, even Florida when Rogers committed there. I get it, they pay players, but does it really need to be the center of the fucking circle jerk every time one of our top targets commits to one of those schools? It’s progressively gotten to the point where it’s turning aggyish. We know they pay, we know we don’t pay (or at least enough idk), but get over it. No need to bitch every. Single. Time. 

Who said Rogers was bought? That seems like a straight up recruiting loss to me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He is a smooth route runner. I like the take for a slot if he does end up coming here. 

Reminds me of Peter Warrick. No, I'm not saying he'll have that kind of college career, but the wiggle, ability to sell a move or route with a shoulder turn, and separation ability all while being a 4.6 40 type of guy remind me of Warrick.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fellside said:

I get this, but most of those schools are also just the best programs in college football.  If a kid is considering tOSU, Clemson, Alabama and Georgia it doesn't necessarily mean their dirty.  It could legitimately mean they want to go to the NFL.  Clemson has won two national championships recently and puts a ton of guys into the first round.  It isn't insane to want to go there.

The fact that you mention Georgia as being one of the best programs in college football is proof that paying players is a pretty smart idea. 

• Like 5

We reason (and rightly so, it would seem) that Texas does not deploy its divitiae alumnorum in an organized fashion to buy players. We benefit from unofficial and undirected support like $100 handshakes and "good jobs" for players. Is that about the extent of it? Does Herman work as hard to prevent it as Mack ostensibly did? Try to avoid learning what he doesn't want to know? How would we know how much "visit transportation assistance" and other SEC-style "love" springs up organically to help our team?

31 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

I agree it's becoming very aggyish. We fucking get it, some schools' old people are willing to pay recruits and their circle more than our old people. You don't have to type O$U every time we lose a recruit to Ohio State, especially when you were crying about Javonne $heppard for 3 months last year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Is this the same guy, or is there are another podcast in the works?

Different guy.... 

Other podcast was with Daron Roberts -- the founding director of the Center for Sports Leadership & Innovation (CSLi) at the University of Texas. He spent seven years as an NFL and college football coach after graduating from Harvard Law School.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ep-101-the-recruiter-bryan-carrington/id1157493210?i=1000441920575

Roberts has been featured in ESPN the Magazine, Bloomberg Businessweek and Sports Illustrated. A lecturer at the University of Texas, Roberts focuses on issues of governance and innovation in the sports arena. He teaches two upper-division honors courses – Leadership Strategy in Sports and Disruptive Innovation in Sports.

He also developed a course – A Gameplan for Winning at Life – that is taught to all incoming freshmen student-athletes at the University of Texas.   (LHN has done a feature on this class.)  During the course of each academic year, Roberts teaches over 300 students.  Roberts is a contributor to Forbes.com, and his articles have appeared in The Dallas Morning News, Fortune, Houston Chronicle, Texas CEO Magazine and Time.

In the fall before his third year at Harvard Law School, Roberts decided to pursue a career in football coaching and wrote letters to college and professional football teams. The Kansas City Chiefs offered Roberts a training camp internship. He leveraged that unpaid position into an assistant coach position. From Kansas City, Roberts went on to coach with the Detroit Lions, West Virginia Mountaineers and Cleveland Browns.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Different guy.... 

Other podcast was with Daron Roberts -- the founding director of the Center for Sports Leadership & Innovation (CSLi) at the University of Texas. He spent seven years as an NFL and college football coach after graduating from Harvard Law School.

Roberts has been featured in ESPN the Magazine, Bloomberg Businessweek and Sports Illustrated. A lecturer at the University of Texas, Roberts focuses on issues of governance and innovation in the sports arena. He teaches two upper-division honors courses – Leadership Strategy in Sports and Disruptive Innovation in Sports.

He also developed a course – A Gameplan for Winning at Life – that is taught to all incoming freshmen student-athletes at the University of Texas.   (LHN has done a feature on this class.)  During the course of each academic year, Roberts teaches over 300 students.  Roberts is a contributor to Forbes.com, and his articles have appeared in The Dallas Morning News, Fortune, Houston Chronicle, Texas CEO Magazine and Time.

In the fall before his third year at Harvard Law School, Roberts decided to pursue a career in football coaching and wrote letters to college and professional football teams. The Kansas City Chiefs offered Roberts a training camp internship. He leveraged that unpaid position into an assistant coach position. From Kansas City, Roberts went on to coach with the Detroit Lions, West Virginia Mountaineers and Cleveland Browns.

Just a little more on Daron Roberts (podcast with Bryan Carrington)

https://sportsleadership.utexas.edu/about/staff/  

"Roberts holds a bachelor’s in Plan II Honors and Government from the University of Texas (2001), where he served as student body president. He then worked as an aide to Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut before continuing his education at Harvard where he earned a Master of Public Policy degree from the Kennedy School of Government (2004) and a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School (2007)."