Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

The fact that you mention Georgia as being one of the best programs in college football is proof that paying players is a pretty smart idea. 

Georgia is the new Texas circa 2002-2009. They have to have elite talent, and buckets full of it, because Smart is one of the worst game day coaches in college football.

19 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Naivar started following Jadarius Clark. https://247sports.com/Player/Bud-Clark-46051630/

I was wondering if we would eventually show interest here. This kid is a special athlete. 4.4 40 and 4.1 shuttle at TCU's camp this weekend. 

Those are some eye catching numbers. More from that 247 link:

HFB Top Performers: TCU July 26 Skills Camp

By Jeremy Clark Sun Jul 28 2019

TCU held their final mini-camps of the summer on Friday. The morning session consisted of offensive/defensive linemen, linebackers, tight ends and running backs while the skills session featured quarterbacks, receivers and defensive backs.

Over 300 prospects combined made their way to the Fort Worth campus. As we’ve done all summer, HornedFrogBlitz was there to catch the action and spot the players that stood out (in HFB’s opinion). Let’s take a look at the players that stood out from the evening session.

ALPHA DOG

Bud Clark | DB – The defensive back out of Louisiana had the attention from the entire coaching staff on Friday with his exceptional play. Clark ran a 4.4 forty and a 4.19 shuttle, which was among the best at the camp. In all the camps I've attended this spring/summer including The Opening, Under Armour and previous TCU camps, Clark was the smoothest in drills; he made back pedaling and turning his hips look effortless; it looks like he's gliding. He locked down several receivers in the 1-on-1 portion of the camp as well which didn't come as a surprise after watching him through various drills. If TCU wanted to get a closer look at a receiver prospect, the coaches made sure it was Clark that the receivers had to beat. 

Edited by sith_horn

10 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Some schools pay up front for elite recruits. That is known, but probably not as frequent as we imagine. I think that, if anything, some alumni pay for on field performance, which can still play a factor in the recruiting process. 

Had buddies that played at TCU that got $$$ for on field performance from alumni/boosters, also had buddies that played for Texas that received some impermissible benefits from boosters (Vegas trip was the big one). 

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not sure when it's going to happen, but Jerrin Thompson is in.

C’mon, TARS! C’mon, TARS!

It’s like you didn’t take what I wrote yesterday morning about Thompson, Thompson and Robinson seriously at all. You’re losing your literalness as a bot or not trusting the right sources on the intel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

C’mon, TARS! C’mon, TARS!

It’s like you didn’t take what I wrote yesterday morning about Thompson, Thompson and Robinson seriously at all. You’re losing your literalness as a bot or not trusting the right sources on the intel. 

Find me a good TARS gif and I'll make it my avatar.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Find me a good TARS gif and I'll make it my avatar.

Someone more adept at such will hopefully do so. That’s hilarious.

My favorite scene in the movie, and one of my favorite scenes of all time, actually only involves audio of him. When Matty McC pilots in to save the space station as it descends in wreckage towards the ice planet - the score, the acting, the premise, just fucking greatness. It’s also the scene with the actual “C’mon, TARS!” dialogue occurs. 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone more adept at such will hopefully do so. That’s hilarious.

My favorite scene in the movie, and one of my favorite scenes of all time, actually only involves audio of him. When Matty McC pilots in to save the space station as it descends in wreckage towards the ice planet - the score, the acting, the premise, just fucking greatness. It’s also the scene with the actual “C’mon, TARS!” dialogue occurs. 

Around the 3:00 mark:

I haven’t looked up previous years, but it really seems like Clemson, UGA, LSU, tOSU, and Bama have a chance to have the 5 total highest composite scores ever in a single class. 

4 of them are already higher than our #3 class last year, and they could all potentially eclipse 300 points. That also means we could land a class almost identical in score to last year's class and finish 6th instead of 3rd. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t looked up previous years, but it really seems like Clemson, UGA, LSU, tOSU, and Bama have a chance to have the 5 total highest composite scores in a single class. 

4 of them are already higher than our #3 class last year, and they could all potentially eclipse 300 points. 

They know the giant is awakening. 

Just now, IllHaveWhatRickysHaving said:

IMO it's Evans > Robinson > McLellan > Milton

I'm not going to rank the lot, but Robinson might just be the best of them when it comes to agility and catching the ball out of the backfield. If UT lands him, he's going to make a living on scorching LBs when motioned.

From spurstalk, Biggins on his Bijan pick.

Biggins from the West Coast talks about his Texas pick for RB Bijan Robinson (24/7😞

"Man you guys are fast! Was just coming over to explain the CB. I'm sure it was already explained here but it was a big surprise for everyone when Ohio State fell out of the race for Bijan, he was basically a silent there for weeks. Texas was the No. 2 choice for him after OSU. After talking to one of the schools on his short list as well as someone fairly close to his recruitment, things look good for UT right now. Lets see if he follows through and announces on the 2nd, if he does, I feel good about Texas, if he delays it, then all bets are off."

• Like 1

Mike at Night

Spoiler

—I’ve spent the day digging for more information on Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson. I’ve been checking on all possible sides to get a full picture of where things stand. The weirdest thing about this situation is that there seems to be almost no chatter from any of the schools believed to be in contention. That makes me believe that either those schools are keeping things extremely tight or Bijan and his family are in bunker mode. Greg Biggins followed Steve Wiltfong’s Texas crystal ball pick with one of his own followed by some intel on the decision. Steve and Greg are both well-connected guys with great sources, so that’s encouraging for Texas fans. I’m not quite ready to put a pick in yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday.

—Four-star Duncanville safety Chris Thompson is set to make his decision on Thursday. It sounds like Texas and Auburn are the two main schools in contention for him. Texas has been the leader in the race for virtually the entire time, but Auburn shouldn’t be discounted right now. The SEC pitch resonated with Chris and his family, so it’s not the easy lay-up some thought it would be. Leading up to the decision, I still feel confident about my Texas pick, but Auburn is making it interesting.

—Clint and I both logged crystal ball picks for Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson following his visit to Austin today. Clint has sources at Lufkin from his time covering east Texas, and he’s been in contact with Thompson following his offer. Thompson has no stated timeline, but he’s discussed making his decision before his senior season. With Texas getting him on campus shortly after the offer, we believe now is the time where Texas can make a move with him if it’s going to happen early. We almost put these in last week, but we wanted to wait and see if he made the visit.

—Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson made his decision to commit to Oregon today. The move came as a bit of a surprise as Wilson told many that he planned to take his official visits into the season and then make a commitment. Johnny told me at The Opening that he would definitely be returning to Austin for an official before making the call. This visit was one of the things that made me delay a crystal ball pick for the big wide receiver. Oregon had the lead for a long period of time, and another unofficial visit meant trouble for Texas. I spoke to a source in California over the weekend who didn’t believe Johnny would commit, but in the end he decided to. I’m sure Texas will try to still get him in for an official visit, but this one looks done for now.

Hope the Bijan momentum continues tomorrow and Thursday morning. It's hard to get a read on a kid who doesn't have a Twitter, but that's probably for the best anyway.  I'd feel a lot worse if any of his CB's were to USC, but being either foggy, Texas, or OSU assuages my concerns about the Trojans.  Hopefully he knows how much we could use him.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t looked up previous years, but it really seems like Clemson, UGA, LSU, tOSU, and Bama have a chance to have the 5 total highest composite scores in a single class. 

4 of them are already higher than our #3 class last year, and they could all potentially eclipse 300 points. 

They know the giant is awakening.