Great Western Movies

ernest_t_bass

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

I met Robert Altman when he was shooting Dr. T & The Women. He said McCabe and Mrs. Miller was his favorite.

I've always been a fan of Saturday morning shoot 'em up B westerns. My favorites were the Tim Holt and Richard Martin RKO series. 

Tim Holt Tuesday #2: John Brooker Interviews Tim Holt, 1970. | 50 Westerns  From The 50s.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 6:34 PM, OiU said:

Maverick is solid.  I know it's old but I just saw it. As Western comedies go, better than Shakiest Gun in the West and not as good as Blazing Saddles.

Maverick was hilarious. Also back around 1980 they made a couple TV movies based off Louis Lamour’s Sackett characters with Sam Elliot and  Tom Selleck. I watched those a few times over the years and they held up well. Always thought Lamour’s books would make for some good series fodder on Amazon or such.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/7/2023 at 6:01 AM, RPM said:

His westerns were all B movies, but To Hell and Back is pretty good. 

If we don't limit it to B movies then what's the point?  For example, No Country For Old Men, is a noir set in the west made by top dollar creators.  I don't know how to discuss it alongside Apache Uprising.  

Likewise I am not including any Wayne movies after 1946 because he is basically his own genre. 

• Like 1

I’d like to see the Cohens or someone crazy with plenty of guts and money try  to put Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian in film. Oooh, baby.

That would separate the men (and women, children and animals) from the soon to be corpses. Post Civil War Southwest Semi Zombie Apocalypse. The Judge and his crew would soon make you forget about Anton Chigurh.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 5:59 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I won't mention any that have already been named in other threads -- some great, great movies in the earlier posts.

If you're looking for an "under the radar" Western, check out Bad Company -- an underappreciated revisionist Western from the early 1970's that starred a young Jeff Bridges and Barry Brown (RIP), who worked great together.  It's slower than most Westerns and there isn't a ton of gunplay, but that's a lot more realistic than the "shoot 'em up" variety where nearly every shot by the "good guy" finds its target.  David Huddleston (of Blazing Saddles and The Big Lebowski fame) does a terrific job in a supporting role.

Some other good ones that I don't believe have been mentioned:  Ride With the Devil; The Stalking Moon; The Grey Fox; Geronimo; Ulzana's Raid; The Shootist; Tell Them Willie Boy is Here.

Yeah, the accuracy people display with pistols in tv/movies is hilariously impossible.

I saw an "undercover" video in which the cops had a camera set up in a motel room and it goes really bad.  The criminal pulls out a pistol and starts shooting at the undercover cop from just a few feet away.  Fires 6 shots and every single one of them missed.  

Little Bill made a great point in Unforgiven, and I believe Wild Bill said the same thing.  The guy who's more calm and deliberate is much more likely to kill you than the guy's who's a quick draw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How about a horrible western to give the thread some balance. 

Just watched,(or tried to) "The Law vs. Billy the Kid". (1954) OMG absolutely the worst Western and worst casting I have ever seen. When the actor playing BTK, is around 6' tall and at least 200lbs, you know it's a lost cause.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, Bama Llama said:

I’d like to see the Cohens or someone crazy with plenty of guts and money try  to put Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian in film. Oooh, baby.

That would separate the men (and women, children and animals) from the soon to be corpses. Post Civil War Southwest Semi Zombie Apocalypse. The Judge and his crew would soon make you forget about Anton Chigurh.

Villeneuve could do it justice. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 7:15 PM, GoPokes83 said:

IMO The Shootist is Wayne’s best movie.

It's Rio Bravo for me. I could watch that movie a thousand times. El Dorado, McClintock!, The Searchers, True Grit, Liberty Valance, Red River, Hondo, Katie Elder, and Rio Lobo are all A+ movies.

The Cowboys absolutely broke my heart. You definitely see it coming in The Shootist. The Duke should never die on film. 

He's funnier in True Grit (not a comedy) than McClintock! (supposed to be a comedy). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It's Rio Bravo for me. I could watch that movie a thousand times. El Dorado, McClintock!, The Searchers, True Grit, Liberty Valance, Red River, Hondo, Katie Elder, and Rio Lobo are all A+ movies.
The Cowboys absolutely broke my heart. You definitely see it coming in The Shootist. The Duke should never die on film. 
He's funnier in True Grit (not a comedy) than McClintock! (supposed to be a comedy). 

Love all these; I guess I lean to The Searchers as I’m a distant relative of Cynthia Ann Parker, and True Grit was the first Western movie I saw in a theater after growing up with so much black and white western TV.

My favorite Duke role though is not a western. The Quiet Man is a wonderful movie that my wife and I rewatch every few years.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, Texzilla58 said:

My favorite Duke role though is not a western. The Quiet Man is a wonderful movie that my wife and I rewatch every few years.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:53 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

Ex brother-in-law pointed this one out to me years ago.  I believe it is my favorite Duke movie, too.

Plus, this woman was wonderful in just about everything she was in 

thanks-maureenohara.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Second Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Tommy Lee Jones is so great in it.

One that I haven't seen mentioned is Hell or High Water. Some might not consider it a classic Western though.

Australia is putting out some pretty great Westerns too. I particularly liked The Proposition. Guy Pierce and Danny Huston were fantastic.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, Bama Llama said:

So many people have tied to make Blood Meridian. It would be very hard to translate to film, but in the right hands it could be fucking amazing. It's probably my favorite book ever. 

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

One that I haven't seen mentioned is Hell or High Water. Some might not consider it a classic Western though.

I consider it a modern day western, but more of a crime flick in a western setting. 

I may have already mentioned these upthread, but I'm too lazy to check.

Rawhide

Ride the High Country

Silverado

The Westerner

My Darling Clementine

The Wild Bunch

Edited by RPM

On 2/12/2023 at 11:30 AM, HiggyBaby said:

Maverick was hilarious. Also back around 1980 they made a couple TV movies based off Louis Lamour’s Sackett characters with Sam Elliot and  Tom Selleck. I watched those a few times over the years and they held up well. Always thought Lamour’s books would make for some good series fodder on Amazon or such.

It's frustrating that he died when he did, because he had a lot more Sackett stuff planned (some of which went into or was hinted at in the Sackett Companion book) and had planned on filling in a lot of gaps going back to the England/Barnabas Sackett years.

I think done right, it'd make a great multi-generational series.  Kind of a Centennial TV series of sorts, only instead of focusing on one location, it's one family.

On 4/18/2023 at 5:42 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Rio Bravo was on TCM last night....

What a great cast and Walter Brennan is just fantastic in it.

I also love the scene where he, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson do a song together.

streaming it now on TCM on demand.