2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Does he have a medical redshirt possibility?

and if can come back this year they need to feature him in a blowout. 

Shit, if he's healthy, we should get as much use out of him as possible. Put him in in a meaningful game. (Like Kansas or TTU or something) Give our starting RBs a little break.

IT team notes

10 Best/Team Best: I was asked for my opinion on the 10 best players on the team. I may still give it but here's what our source had to say.

He offered them in order and when it came to giving the 10th guy he mentioned three who were in the conversation.

10. DL Ta'Quon Graham/WR Devin Duvernay/LB Jeffrey McCulloch: "These guys are all going to be big contributors."
9. BJ Foster: "There's a lot of talent when I don't mention Foster's name until now. I might be too low."
8. Joseph Ossai: "He'll vie to lead the team in sacks. Maybe tackles too."
7. Brandon Jones: "Probably the most important DB."
6. Keaontay Ingram: "Just needs to stay healthy."
5. Malcolm Roach: "If he's as motivated as Omenihu was -- giving max effort on every play -- he's going to be a terror."
4. Caden Sterns: "He's had it since he arrived. He'll have a big year."
3. Sam Cosmi: "Not really a weakness in his game."
2. Collin Johnson: "You asked for best so I'll say Johnson, Cosmi is more important to the season."
1. Sam Ehlinger: "I don't think anybody would disagree with that."

That led to some follow ups.

Parker Braun isn't one of the 10 best. "He's good but I'd but I'd like to see him in a game."

Everybody wants to believe in McCulloch: "He hasn't been tested like he will be in games but he's performed well and making plays outside of the box. Until everyone sees it in games I get it but he's had a good August. Linebackers are coming on in general."

Ossai in contention to lead for most tackles? "I think he'll stay on the field in cowboy (dime) and of course he's at B-backer in nickel."

Who leads the team in sacks: "Probably Roach."

Picks: "Sterns."

Tackles: "Should be McCulloch. Jones will get a ton too."

Who are the best blocking wide receivers: "All the starters are good. I'd give the slight edge to Collin Johnson. He's so big. Then Duvernay. Eagles is a good blocker too."

What about Epps: "He gets the job done for the most part. He's growing into his own body -- stronger and moving well."

Did any player surprise this camp: "(David) Gbenda and Juwan (Mitchell) at linebacker. Gbenda is incredibly smart, technical, and can run. He's just light, but he runs like he's light. Juwan is more agile than I think anyone thought. On offense, Cade Brewer had a quietly good camp. I think he'll be fine. Not really a surprise, but Jake Smith. They have an Edelman."

Do you think they'll go more four-wide this year: "Either with Smith or motioning out Whittington, I could definitely see that."

Injury Front

Brewer received a concussion after a big hit in the team's last heavy contact period (I think over the weekend) and is in concussion protocol. He seems perfectly fine now but protocol is finicky and it's not 100% certain he'll play versus La Tech. We'd guess that he will but don't know that for sure.

We believe DeMarvion Overshown will be back to contact next week. He's been practicing this week but mainly because there has been very little contact.

Also returning will be Keaontay Ingram, Caden Sterns, Derek Kerstetter and Brennan Eagles. Each of these guys will be available versus Louisiana Tech. If they don't play it's to preserve them.

Daniel Young sprained his ankle and his status for the opener is unknown. Hopefully he can go because that's exactly the type of game he should get carries in.

Notes

With running back as thin as it is Roschon Johnson has been moved for now. Numbers dictate the need for more alternatives at the position and given his athleticism and toughness he might be able to help. Team player.

You know what you get with Roach and Graham, Coburn continues to shine and will be as reliable within his snaps as the other two. High motor, quick for his size, strong hands. They want to rotate Wilbon, Ojomo, and Chisholm to keep the ones fresh and good for LSU.

Earlier in the week the Texas staff installed the offensive and defensive gameplans for La Tech. The mantra within the locker room is “DO NOT OVERLOOK LA TECH.” The players are policing this aggressively.

This weekend will be treated as a game week including team meal and a game simulation in which they operate off a script.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Reveal hidden contents

10 Best/Team Best: I was asked for my opinion on the 10 best players on the team. I may still give it but here's what our source had to say.

He offered them in order and when it came to giving the 10th guy he mentioned three who were in the conversation.

10. DL Ta'Quon Graham/WR Devin Duvernay/LB Jeffrey McCulloch: "These guys are all going to be big contributors."
9. BJ Foster: "There's a lot of talent when I don't mention Foster's name until now. I might be too low."
8. Joseph Ossai: "He'll vie to lead the team in sacks. Maybe tackles too."
7. Brandon Jones: "Probably the most important DB."
6. Keaontay Ingram: "Just needs to stay healthy."
5. Malcolm Roach: "If he's as motivated as Omenihu was -- giving max effort on every play -- he's going to be a terror."
4. Caden Sterns: "He's had it since he arrived. He'll have a big year."
3. Sam Cosmi: "Not really a weakness in his game."
2. Collin Johnson: "You asked for best so I'll say Johnson, Cosmi is more important to the season."
1. Sam Ehlinger: "I don't think anybody would disagree with that."

That led to some follow ups.

Parker Braun isn't one of the 10 best. "He's good but I'd but I'd like to see him in a game."

Everybody wants to believe in McCulloch: "He hasn't been tested like he will be in games but he's performed well and making plays outside of the box. Until everyone sees it in games I get it but he's had a good August. Linebackers are coming on in general."

Ossai in contention to lead for most tackles? "I think he'll stay on the field in cowboy (dime) and of course he's at B-backer in nickel."

Who leads the team in sacks: "Probably Roach."

Picks: "Sterns."

Tackles: "Should be McCulloch. Jones will get a ton too."

Who are the best blocking wide receivers: "All the starters are good. I'd give the slight edge to Collin Johnson. He's so big. Then Duvernay. Eagles is a good blocker too."

What about Epps: "He gets the job done for the most part. He's growing into his own body -- stronger and moving well."

Did any player surprise this camp: "(David) Gbenda and Juwan (Mitchell) at linebacker. Gbenda is incredibly smart, technical, and can run. He's just light, but he runs like he's light. Juwan is more agile than I think anyone thought. On offense, Cade Brewer had a quietly good camp. I think he'll be fine. Not really a surprise, but Jake Smith. They have an Edelman."

Do you think they'll go more four-wide this year: "Either with Smith or motioning out Whittington, I could definitely see that."

Injury Front

Brewer received a concussion after a big hit in the team's last heavy contact period (I think over the weekend) and is in concussion protocol. He seems perfectly fine now but protocol is finicky and it's not 100% certain he'll play versus La Tech. We'd guess that he will but don't know that for sure.

We believe DeMarvion Overshown will be back to contact next week. He's been practicing this week but mainly because there has been very little contact.

Also returning will be Keaontay Ingram, Caden Sterns, Derek Kerstetter and Brennan Eagles. Each of these guys will be available versus Louisiana Tech. If they don't play it's to preserve them.

Daniel Young sprained his ankle and his status for the opener is unknown. Hopefully he can go because that's exactly the type of game he should get carries in.

Notes

With running back as thin as it is Roschon Johnson has been moved for now. Numbers dictate the need for more alternatives at the position and given his athleticism and toughness he might be able to help. Team player.

You know what you get with Roach and Graham, Coburn continues to shine and will be as reliable within his snaps as the other two. High motor, quick for his size, strong hands. They want to rotate Wilbon, Ojomo, and Chisholm to keep the ones fresh and good for LSU.

Earlier in the week the Texas staff installed the offensive and defensive gameplans for La Tech. The mantra within the locker room is “DO NOT OVERLOOK LA TECH.” The players are policing this aggressively.

This weekend will be treated as a game week including team meal and a game simulation in which they operate off a script.

RoJo at RB? Well that's .....huh...... ok.....

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Interesting on Johnson. Maybe that is a move that works long term, as Texas isn't going to have a lot of room in the QB room once Card and Jackson come in.

Agreed.  I've been wondering for awhile if they'd consider this move given the struggles he's had with his throwing motion.  Thompson, Jackson, Card and Milroe already in the pipeline will be tough competition to get on the field as a QB.

5 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Agreed.  I've been wondering for awhile if they'd consider this move given the struggles he's had with his throwing motion.  Thompson, Jackson, Card and Milroe already in the pipeline will be tough competition to get on the field as a QB.

Moving Johnson to RB full time would be extremely stupid this early in his career.

Everyone, including the coaches, knew he needed to fix his mechanics coming in and he’s working through that right now. There’s no reason to give up on him this early. Also, he runs a 4.8, so it’s not like he’d be an all world RB.

That’s not to say he won’t seen any snaps at RB this year, but it would be dumb to switch him to full time RB before fall camp has even ended in his first year, when he has worlds of potential as  aQB if he can fix his mechanics and he gets two full years to try to do so.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Interesting on Johnson. Maybe that is a move that works long term, as Texas isn't going to have a lot of room in the QB room once Card and Jackson come in.

Yeah he looked great at the Spring game, just size and athleticism through the roof. Get him out there and get him productive. Love it. I hadn't even considered him there.

3 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

So, I'm partial to the plays where he hands the ball off and then he passes a 2nd ball right behind it.  No wonder our offense is expected to be more explosive.  If they both get in the endzone do we get 14 points on that possession?

Only 12 actually, then we have to simultaneously kick 2 FGs or a FG and 2 point conversion.

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

Right now at least, R. Johnson is a better rb than qb.  Glad they made that choice now rather than mid season.  He can't help the team as 3rd string qb and his arm being what it is, but he can definitely help a bit with rb.  

Randy McEachern 🤘 and Cardale Jones might disagree with you on a 3rd string QB helping their teams...  

Really hope Texas QB's stay healthy this season (knock on wood).  

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Randy McEachern 🤘 and Cardale Jones might disagree with you on a 3rd string QB helping their teams...  

Really hope Texas QB's stay healthy this season (knock on wood).  

I see your point, but maybe in a few years (a la Cardale Jones as a Junior/Senior backup)

If RoJo is called upon at qb this season we're absolutely fucked.  If he's called upon this season as an rb we are not doing great but significantly less fucked

19 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

I see your point, but maybe in a few years (a la Cardale Jones as a Junior/Senior backup)

If RoJo is called upon at qb this season we're absolutely fucked.  If he's called upon this season as an rb we are not doing great but significantly less fucked

Just messing with yah.  I enjoy bringing up McEachern and Cardale's 3rd string QB  results because they are such great CFB stories...

RoJo could win a few games at QB this season against some B12 teams especially at DKR.  Really hope we don't have to see that though... 

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I thought RB when watching Johnson’s tape as a recruit. Not this way, though.

Shit at this rate our depth chart against LSU will be a few true freshmen we’ve moved to RB from different positions.

At this rate we may be holding open tryouts the week of the game.  

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Better?

A little bit, I still have nightmares regarding Vai Sikahema, though. A friend of my brother's moved to Arizona and played high school ball against Sikahema. The friend stayed with us over a summer and would talk up Airzona high school football. I would be talking to someone at the house and he would run through the halls and yell Vai Sikahema and tackle me to the ground.  Motherfucker.

• Haha 1