Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-26-at-1-35-16-PM.png

A different way to put that, Mr. Bridger43, is 'So in 2020 we had very poor WR production - with a senior QB that started 4 years. Can you explain to me why 0 WR recruits want to play for us in 2021 - with an unproven QB playing in the same system? It just doesn't make sense."  

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Oh so I had it backwards. He wants to play D but they only gave him WR? Guess I just assumed all kids want to play offense these days

More like half-back. 

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

We should be all over Banks if he wants to play LB. And I see that he and Cole Moore (a UT Player Personnel guy) are each other's most recent follows on Twitter. 

Season 9 No GIF by The Office - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:23 PM, bizzle said:

defense has a chance to be really fun. offense needs that tranfer ol from tennessee and bryce foster to come in ready, otherwise may be a bit derpy. we're going to play a lot of ugly games this fall.

It's a good thing your schedule is a shit fest. The SEC West is down big time, even Bama may struggle in some games, as I just don't see O'Brien being successful there. Colorado likely sucks, and your 3 other OOC games is a fucking joke.

11 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Counterpoint: if what Leon says is true, and you can't get open against Slow'neal, then you might as well transfer or quit.

Or play LB like he apparently wanted to in the first place

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Damn, I expect it from Leon but not sure why Leal decided to subtweet a guy who wasn't even on campus for 6 months.

Some of these kids are just so dumb. Yeah, he left because he doesn't want to be great. Nothing to do with the coaches lying to him about his position

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Damn, I expect it from Leon but not sure why Leal decided to subtweet a guy who wasn't even on campus for 6 months.

Because Leal is a shitty fuckface. He may not be the intensely public moron that Leon is but Leal is very much bitchmade. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

HammLite on Banks ::

-I did a little more digging. I had heard a bit of the information yesterday when talking to a couple of people about him missing from both the open practice and spring game. While there is the possibility he changes his mind, I don't think that will happen. I have also now heard from a source closer to the Banks side of things that A&M likely isn't going to try too hard to convince him to stay.

-As I had posted in a reply on the other thread, Banks never really gelled with his teammates. He's a good kid but he was going home pretty much every weekend and he never gelled with his teammates. With him coming in before most of his class, he didn't really have an opportunity to spend a ton of time even getting to know them. It was a tough situation to be thrown in but I also don't think he did himself favors by not sticking around Aggieland on weekends.

-Though Banks will give Auburn a look as his best friend Dematrius Davis is there, I think him staying in Texas is more likely. TCU has a pair of former North Shore teammates in RB Zach Evans and CB Keeyon Stewart. Banks has apparently spoken to both about the Horned Frog program. He might be a better fit for that offense as well.

-So, to sum all this up, I don't expect Banks to take his name out of the portal and come back to Aggieland. TCU would be the favorite at the moment to land him.

42 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Because at this point Leal has been in college station for, what, 2 years? 3 years? That's plenty of time to become fully indoctrinated. 

36 minutes ago, golfclap said:

HammLite on Banks ::

But tell me, do you think that he never gelled with his teammates? In consecutive fucking sentences. Jesus.

So, for what it's worth, while we all thought he was a LB during his recruitment, and he clearly thinks he's a LB, some folks who do this stuff for a living think that his best position in college would in fact be WR/HB where he was playing in College Station. Or, should I say, was playing in College Station. 

Tarp on A&M's shitty QBs
Spoiler

One…going into spring ball, I had every expectation that second year man Haynes King would win A&M’s starting quarterback battle (even if there wasn’t a public admission that the battle was over). We had been told that King’s leadership, work ethic, and personality made the players gravitate towards him. In addition, those same items had also elevated Kellen Mond into the starting role when no one gave him much of a chance on the surface.

That’s evidenced by the fact that King was the only A&M quarterback outside of Kellen Mond to take a snap last season, the fact that Fisher always seems to be coaching King, and that King got the vast majority of the work with the first unit yesterday.

In addition, my past perception of Calzada was that he tended to put too much stock into his arm strength which led to less than optimal choices to force the ball. It appeared that this aspect of his game hadn’t gotten much better and yesterday he once again tried to strong arm a throw along the sidelines while he was on the move and his feet weren’t set. That gave A&M safety Demani Richardson time to undercut the throw and return it for 29 yards.

I also knew that even though King was highly regarded that there would be some growing pains in his development. He was a redshirt freshman with very little game experience and only a year on campus with no spring ball in 2020. Even so, the year under Fisher probably would help his delivery and footwork and in turn boost his accuracy and velocity.

Nonetheless, I sit here today having seen both quarterbacks attempt 60 passes and thinking that from a qualitative standpoint things aren’t nearly as a clear cut as I expected they would be. King had more advantages playing with the first unit for every series he was on the field which was offset to an extent by drops and busted routes. Even so, Calzada had a better quarterback rating despite suffering from about as many drops as King, incurred fewer sacks, operated a more restricted offense with the second unit that included more rollouts due to pressure, and generated 136 yards and a touchdown in two trips with the ones (the Maroon only had 230 yards of total offense in their other eight series).

In addition, Calzada was under duress quite a bit, even when plays were called involved where they rolled the protection to the playside or got the ball out quickly. He threw the ball away multiple times on the first series alone.

No quarterback is going to be functional under that kind of duress.

King’s superior athleticism didn’t come into play due to the format but much like Kellen Mond was coached to do for most of his career, King also didn’t seem to want to take off much either. He even got a hit on his knee in the third quarter and limped to the bench for a while.
Plus, you don’t want your quarterback to take off too much in the SEC even if you’re running more RPOs. Guys that do that will get hit by 300 pound guys too much and they won’t last long or they’re too busy running for five yard gains to stand in the pocket and throw it for 20 instead.

I think the bottom line is that we’ve been conditioned based on everything we know to be predisposed to King but the reality is that both are pretty evenly matched at this stage of their careers.

Two….one of the things that we’ve all got caught up in is evaluating them versus each other as opposed to a standard. I’ve made this point before but neither is at the level that Kellen Mond or Nick Starkel was back in 2018 due to the lack of game reps. In fact, I went back and looked at the spring game stats for 2017 when both Mond and Starkel were first time participants. They were both under a 50% completion rate and Starkel was the “victim of a number of drops”.

Things don’t change much when you’re dealing with inexperienced passers. They don’t happen nearly as quickly as they need to and the mistakes tend to be more egregious. In addition, they also put you in harm’s way more often that you would like.

Jimbo Fisher keeps harping on the fact that the pieces around the quarterback need to be better and he’s absolutely right about that. The drops will decline (if you’re going to sit 15 players down then don’t expect the other 70 to have to same attention span as if this were a regular season game) and the offensive line will get better if one or two guys can work their way into the lineup and they work together as a unit on a consistent basis (most spring games don’t feature stellar line play, especially versus this caliber of defense).

But we all need to slow our roll about what someone can accomplish against Alabama in game six of the regular season without some help.

Three…does A&M need to give off the vibe that this is a competition that will be decided in August and not the spring? You might lose someone to the portal in the interim and then like a lot of teams you’re down to a true freshman as your backup.

Plus, do you need to keep seeing how both of these guys develop? A&M didn’t talk multiple seniors into coming back so that they could make a national title run in 2022.

The flip side to that is giving someone starter’s reps in the fall and perhaps accelerating their development.

I don’t know which one is the right answer. I just know that the quarterback piece is a series of multiple choice questions at this point and one wrong answer could have a multiplier affect on everything you’re hoping to accomplish this season.

Damn! A whole lotta garbage to point out garbage. Sheesh.