David Koch is dead

Parliament

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Koch had probably the most valuable wine collection in the world. 43,000 bottles. Cheers!

That is actually his brother Bill. Bill decided he'd buy wine and art instead of politicians like his two dipship brothers. If you haven't seen Sour Grapes, I'd highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

That is actually his brother Bill. Bill decided he'd buy wine and art instead of politicians like his two dipship brothers. If you haven't seen Sour Grapes, I'd highly recommend it. 

You’re right. My bad. And I’ve seen Sour Grapes and enjoyed it.
  • Like 1

I have some empathy for the Koch brothers.  They're good old-fashioned rich-guy business Republicans who just wanted to make an asston of money and needed government regulation not to prevent them from doing so.  The only thing unique about them was their extremity, both in their objectives and in the pursuit of those objectives.

In pursuing their objectives by financing the Tea Party, they unwittingly facilitated the rise of the white-nationalist Party of Trump.  In that, they're not alone (I say as I look in the mirror).

Unlike some others, they recognized what has become of the GOP.  Their donations went down significantly over the past four years.  That's to their (limited) credit.

We all make bad decisions.  We just don't have the wherewithal to dump billions of dollars in furtherance of those bad decisions.  But even within my limited means, I often look at my bad decisions and the consequences caused by them and mournfully think "what the fuck have I done?".

I can't imagine the scope of the "what the fuck have I done" that the Koch brothers ask themselves.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have some empathy for the Koch brothers.  They're good old-fashioned rich-guy business Republicans who just wanted to make an asston of money and needed government regulation not to prevent them from doing so.  The only thing unique about them was their extremity, both in their objectives and in the pursuit of those objectives.

In pursuing their objectives by financing the Tea Party, they unwittingly facilitated the rise of the white-nationalist Party of Trump.  In that, they're not alone (I say as I look in the mirror).

Unlike some others, they recognized what has become of the GOP.  Their donations went down significantly over the past four years.  That's to their (limited) credit.

We all make bad decisions.  We just don't have the wherewithal to dump billions of dollars in furtherance of those bad decisions.  But even within my limited means, I often look at my bad decisions and the consequences caused by them and mournfully think "what the fuck have I done?".

I can't imagine the scope of the "what the fuck have I done" that the Koch brothers ask themselves.

Great post.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

fuck them and everything about them.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I hear you.  But they could have done a lot more to stop Trump.  From what I could tell, they started doing some things to mitigate some of the damage Trump is causing.  But they were never willing to put their own interests at risk by doing what it really takes to oppose Trump.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I didn't know this was the forum for Koch brothers fan fiction. I bet he wistfully stared out the window of his mansion as Republicans destroyed this country for the last 30 years and a single tear rolled down his eye and he clinched his fist and shook it at the heavens. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think their role in funding the climate change denialist movement is far more detrimental and will lead to far more suffering (in orders of magnitude) than whatever role they may have had in facilitating the rise of Trump and white-nationalism.  Weird that you forgot to even mention that issue.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have more empathy for an ISIS suicide bomber, which is none. 

• Like 1

But governments and Muslim terrorists are the only entities possessed with both agency and power to affect the lives of others.  If you're mad at the Kochs it's only because you disagree with their beliefs and not for anything they've actually done because they don't fall into either of those two aforementioned categories.  

26 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They're arguably as responsible as any other people on earth for the fact that we're going to cook ourselves alive on this fucking planet. Fuck them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

no.

i get your perspective, but no.

these guys are in a completely different stratosphere from those of us who were mislead by the tea party movement. remember at the beginning the tea party was an independent movement. the koch's recognized it has a threat to republicanism, so they fucking hijacked it. they did this on purpose, with malice and cynicism. there was no idealism that maybe you felt. once you get into the three comma crowd, it's less about money and all about power. and those guys used their power to critically undermine this country, be it on climate change, the tea party, or fucking citizens united, these guys were never, in any sense, the "good guys."

thinking they are capable of moral retrospection is pure fantasy. 

they are about power and influence, not about stewardship of the country. fuck him, and fuck his brother.

• Like 2

Great post, LL. The theme of willingness to review your own actions with a tap to your heart and a mea culpa is worthwhile in the current environment of political discourse.

You paint the Kochs, whom I only know a little about, as humans rather than devils. There are no devils. Anybody can be as wicked as these brothers. Anybody can try to do something to mitigate their bad acts. I see that as the extent of your empathy. I don't mistake the empathy for admiration.

These actors harmed the US immeasurably and may have put 100s of millions of people at risk by funding science denial. They fund the hate engine. Their motives have little scent of altruism. I doubt that they have ever spent a moment being as reflective as you.