Louisiana Tech @ Texas 7 PM 8/31 on LHN

Machinator

I thought the corners played soft, preferring to give up the short throws to make sure they didn't get beat deep and make La Tech drive down the field.  Since they couldn't sustain their drives until the 3rd string was in, I guess it worked.  I do think the tackling on the short throws was not great, it was something Tom mentioned and could be a noticeable drop off from Davis and Boyd until they get better.  Hardy and those guys looked decent but we will play better and they will make us pay for poor angles and diving at the legs.

8 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Texas outgained LaTechnical College by about 40 yards. 

Consider:

1. First game
  2. Vanilla game plan
  3. Extensive rotation of inexperienced talent, especially in the 2nd half
  4. Give Tech some credit. They have some talent and good coaching. I also thought their QB showed improvement over last season.

Still, the D has a lot to clean up. CB is the glaring sore point. Green is usually in position, but needs to learn how to finish -- both playing the ball and tackling. After him, it just gets worse. Actually, just about everyone needs to clean up on tackling although the front guys and LBs do better. They aren't always taking the correct angle on plays to the edge though. CBs are by far the worst offenders tackling. I guess the concept of wrapping up is hard. That and their desire to make every tackle like a heat seeking missile (minus the heat seeking feature). This is a real sore point for me and I call out the coaches on this one. Swarming to the ball is good. Flying past it, not so much. They need to put more emphasis on it. This is also a fault of the coaching (or lack thereof) in middle school and HS. They love lowering the boom and dramatic hits but squaring up on approach and wrapping up the ball carrier needs to be drilled. Some serious ass chewing for not doing it needs to happen for repeat offenders. Call me a curmudgeon but I learned proper tackling technique in 6th grade from coach in a single fall camp practice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It was concerning how well la tech was able to move the ball in the passing game. It didn’t turn into points, so no need to panic, but we’ll need to tighten that up next week.

La Tech has a modified air raid scheme. You can pretty much write in ink that those kinds of teams will throw for at least 300. Especially since we shut their run down completely. Outside of Boyce, I thought the secondary played fairly well with exception of some poor tackling.

Edited by Vertigo

Its crazy how easily our offense moved the ball considering we went vanilla as fuck. It was very clear we didnt want to run the ball at all yesterday.

Also, we only passed over the middle, what, 3 times? 

When do Young and Johnson come back from their injuries?

Edited by GreenspointTexas

It's important to remember how vanilla the offense truly looked and how good the vanilla results were.

I highly doubt we're throwing 12 WR screens next week.  We'll see more qb RPOs where Ehlinger has the option to run.  We'll see more throws down field. 

The offense barely looked like they were trying and they did well. And while La Tech's corners aren't LSU's or in that same class, they have some guys who will likely be in the NFL.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It was concerning how well la tech was able to move the ball in the passing game. It didn’t turn into points, so no need to panic, but we’ll need to tighten that up next week.

Some of this was personnel (Hi Boyce!), but a lot of it was game plan. Orlando has consistently chosen to shut down the run and give up some easy 5 yard wr screens and other quick throws in the process. This usually results in a bend but don’t break defense because it requires the offense to not have any negative plays for a 10-12 play drive. More often than not, it works for Orlando.

The advanced stats don’t like it, but it’s proven to work. When you’re a DC in the Big 12, trying to have a lockdown defense is pointless. I prefer Orlando’s strategy of shitting down the run and doing things like slants and blitzes to create drive-killing plays. The defense will slant the wrong way or not be in a position to stop certain play calls sometimes, but eventually, we’ll create a negative play and kill the drive, like we did last night until we put our backups in.

9 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Texas outgained LaTechnical College by about 40 yards. 

This is the type embarrassing post I expect from you. I'm sure you're dying to post some advanced analytic about how LA Tech was better than Texas last night. 

You should be negged to oblivion at this point. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The advanced stats don’t like it, but it’s proven to work. When you’re a DC in the Big 12, trying to have a lockdown defense is pointless. I prefer Orlando’s strategy of shitting down the run and doing things like slants and blitzes to create drive-killing plays. The defense will slant the wrong way or not be in a position to stop certain play calls sometimes, but eventually, we’ll create a negative play and kill the drive, like we did last night until we put our backups in.

I think we win if we shit down the run next week

• immamac unfeatured this topic
10 hours ago, RabidM said:

Ingram looks great. I don't think he has the speed to bust a lot of really long ones, but he's got truly fantastic feet and vision.  If he's going to be breaking tackles like that, he's going to get a lot of yards this year.  

The OL could be really good this year. I would have been happy with above average.  I'm sure they'll have struggles against LSU next week, but later in the year they could be doing very good things, consistently.  

Eagles looks athletic as fuck. Athletically, he reminds me of Dez Bryant out there.  

I am a little concerned about how LA Tech moved the ball on our defense. A lot of their drives stalled, but better offensive teams will be able to sustain those types of drives. We need to fix some stuff. I hope to hell Cook is really our #2 CB. I'm a little concerned Jamison didn't win more playing time over Boyce.  We stuffed the run well, but I'm not sure if we're going to have a good pass rush this year.  Perhaps Ossai can provide a good pass rush, but I'm not sure who else can.  I don't think Roach has the athleticism for it. TQ is looking like a JAG so far.  

It’s time to accept that Taquon Graham will never be more than a JAG for this program.

• Fuck You 3

10 hours ago, RabidM said:

Ingram looks great. I don't think he has the speed to bust a lot of really long ones, but he's got truly fantastic feet and vision.  If he's going to be breaking tackles like that, he's going to get a lot of yards this year.  

The OL could be really good this year. I would have been happy with above average.  I'm sure they'll have struggles against LSU next week, but later in the year they could be doing very good things, consistently.  

Eagles looks athletic as fuck. Athletically, he reminds me of Dez Bryant out there.  

I am a little concerned about how LA Tech moved the ball on our defense. A lot of their drives stalled, but better offensive teams will be able to sustain those types of drives. We need to fix some stuff. I hope to hell Cook is really our #2 CB. I'm a little concerned Jamison didn't win more playing time over Boyce.  We stuffed the run well, but I'm not sure if we're going to have a good pass rush this year.  Perhaps Ossai can provide a good pass rush, but I'm not sure who else can.  I don't think Roach has the athleticism for it. TQ is looking like a JAG so far.  

It’s time to accept that Taquon Graham will never be more than a JAG for this program.

• Fuck You 3

IDK if this belongs here, but thought some of you may be interested in this (from TexasSports):

• 18 total freshmen played in their first career games on Saturday, including 11 true freshmen.
  •  The following true freshmen played in their first career game on Saturday: DB Chris Adimora, WR Malcolm Epps, LB David Gbenda, DL Moro Ojomo, DB Tyler Owens, WR Jake Smith, DL T’Vondre Sweat, LB Marcus Tillman, RB Jordan Whittington, WR Marcus Washington, TE Jared Wiley
  •  The following redshirt freshmen played in their first career game on Saturday: LB Ayodele Adeoye, OL Junior Angilau, DL Keondre Coburn, QB/RB Roschon Johnson, OL Christian Jones, QB Casey Thompson, WR Al’Vonte Woodard

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I understand the theory behind Orlando’s stop the run first defense, but damn I don’t like seeing La Tech March down the field. The tackling really concerns me though. If they fail to wrap up up next week like they did last night we’re likely to see a few long ones busted on us.

Orlando was going bend-but-don't-break defense so it's okay if they put up yardage (all part of the plan), never mind the fact that he also blitzed constantly to generate negative plays.  

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Holy shit there was so much talent today. Even on the jumbotron there was a lot of fine ass everywhere. I wish I could've gotten pics but I had some family with me. Great experience. My 12 year old nephew got to experience his first Longhorns game and had a blast.9c5d957e8d764859b36ba1e189b35dc2.jpg273422643d281790b21e0824f06c7dcc.jpg5a06b377e7051b956ffba8cc05fe9fa9.jpgfdb8349857f8d6d51039256319aa48fc.jpg

So show the pics of the fine ass, too. Don't be stingy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I understand the theory behind Orlando’s stop the run first defense, but damn I don’t like seeing La Tech March down the field. The tackling really concerns me though. If they fail to wrap up up next week like they did last night we’re likely to see a few long ones busted on us.

It's often stated that in a season teams make the greatest improvement from week one to week two. I'll bet tackling is what is concerning TO this week at practice.