2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Majority of people who came up when I was doing voter registration were changing address or voting for the first time in Travis county. Number one question was does my drivers license address need to match my voter registration (no).

I'm surprised that the drivers license and voter registration don't have to match.    The policy (law?) is to update your license address within 30 days of moving.  I imagine many do not meet this criteria, and I would have thought the political party in control would want to suppress their votes.  I mean protect the integrity of the vote.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm surprised that the drivers license and voter registration don't have to match.    The policy (law?) is to update your license address within 30 days of moving.  I imagine many do not meet this criteria, and I would have thought the political party in control would want to suppress their votes.  I mean protect the integrity of the vote.

Side note:  It is in fact the law.  If you get pulled over and your license doesn't match from a new state, you need to say you moved here a few of weeks ago.  Vague enough to not get yourself in trouble, broad enough to not be lying to a cop.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Same.  Because mine doesn't match (just moved last month but I have to do the in-person renewal in December so I didn't bother)

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hope that’s true.

for some reason, I assumed that mitt Romney would carry her over the line ( I hate that guy).

things to consider:

this is Utah.

mia love is black

her opponent is mormon

This is the most liberal district in the state, but once again 

it’s freaking Utah. I’d still be surprised if she loses.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That would be a bit of a surprise.

She’s always underperformed that district.  5 point win in 2014 and 12 points in 2016 but it was a rematch. McAdams is the mayor of SLC which is part of that district. 

NYT/Siena found this a tie last week. 

Edited by Js1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She’s always underperformed that district.  5 point win in 2014 and 12 points in 2016 but it was a rematch. McAdams is the mayor of SLC which is part of that district. 

NYT/Siena found this a tie last week. 

Is there a reason she's underperformed?  Not as familiar with Utah politics.  

Not sure where to post this.  And he doesn't mention Trump or the GOP by name (other than to say that he was a Republican for most of his life), but his meaning is obvious.  From Sully:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-saved-155-lives-on-the-hudson-now-lets-vote-for-leaders-wholl-protect-us-all/2018/10/29/554fd0e6-d87c-11e8-a10f-b51546b10756_story.html?utm_term=.66c9b3874a63

Today, tragically, too many people in power are projecting the worst. Many are cowardly, complicit enablers, acting against the interests of the United States, our allies and democracy; encouraging extremists at home and emboldening our adversaries abroad; and threatening the livability of our planet. Many do not respect the offices they hold; they lack — or disregard — a basic knowledge of history, science and leadership; and they act impulsively, worsening a toxic political environment.

As a result, we are in a struggle for who and what we are as a people. We have lost what in the military we call unit cohesion. The fabric of our nation is under attack, while shame — a timeless beacon of right and wrong — seems dead.

This is not the America I know and love. We’re better than this. Our ideals, shared facts and common humanity are what bind us together as a nation and a people. Not one of these values is a political issue, but the lack of them is.

This current absence of civic virtues is not normal, and we must not allow it to become normal. We must rededicate ourselves to the ideals, values and norms that unite us and upon which our democracy depends. We must be engaged and informed voters, and we must get our information from credible, reputable sources.

For the first 85 percent of my adult life, I was a registered Republican. But I have always voted as an American. And this critical Election Day, I will do so by voting for leaders committed to rebuilding our common values and not pandering to our basest impulses.

When I volunteered for military service during wartime, I took an oath that is similar to the one our elected officials take: “I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” I vowed to uphold this oath at the cost of my life, if necessary. We must expect no less from our elected officials. And we must hold accountable those who fail to defend our nation and all our people.

After Flight 1549, I realized that because of the sudden worldwide fame, I had been given a greater voice. I knew I could not walk away but had an obligation to use this bully pulpit for good and as an advocate for the safety of the traveling public. I feel that I now have yet another mission, as a defender of our democracy.

We cannot wait for someone to save us. We must do it ourselves. This Election Day is a crucial opportunity to again demonstrate the best in each of us by doing our duty and voting for leaders who are committed to the values that will unite and protect us. Years from now, when our grandchildren learn about this critical time in our nation’s history, they may ask if we got involved, if we made our voices heard. I know what my answer will be. I hope yours will be “yes.”

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Is there a reason she's underperformed?  Not as familiar with Utah politics.  

I don’t know much about it as well, but I’d say she’s underperformed because she’s black ( this is Utah people), she’s not Mormon ( I think?), and this district has utah’s Major city ( SLC). 

The reason this race is close is because her opponent is white, Mormon, and the mayor of SLC. 

Race matters a lot in red states. Hate to say.

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

I don’t know much about it as well, but I’d say she’s underperformed because she’s black ( this is Utah people), she’s not Mormon ( I think?), and this district has utah’s Major city ( SLC). 

The reason this race is close is because her opponent is white, Mormon, and the mayor of SLC. 

Mormons have special (as in short bus) issues.  They taught that black skin was the Mark of Cain until a sudden "revelation" in 1978. The cultural attitudes persisted well past that date too.

9 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Actually it’s part of SLC. They gerrymandered that city into 3 diff districts (2nd 3rd and 4th)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/gop-scrambles-to-save-suddenly-vulnerable-house-candidates-in-trump-districts/2018/10/29/ddfb0c02-dbc5-11e8-85df-7a6b4d25cfbb_story.html?utm_term=.a102f0bb01b8

In Virginia’s 5th District, the main House GOP super PAC went up on television for the first time last week. The Congressional Leadership Fund ad sought to help distillery owner Denver Riggleman (R) against journalist Leslie Cockburn (D) in a sprawling district that includes rural areas and the college town of Charlottesville. Trump won there by 11 points.

In Virginia’s 7th District, which Trump also carried, a new poll released Monday showed more possible trouble. The survey from the Wason Center for Public Policy at Christopher Newport University showed 46 percent of likely voters picking Democrat Abigail Spanberger and 45 percent choosing Republican Rep. Dave Brat

33 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I told my friends at work today to get ready for some excuse destroying reality.   We are no longer going to be able to excuse the behavior of voters in this election as 'being foolish', 'hoping Trump would change', "poor candidate in Hillary", etc.

If we go deeper Red, or stay just as Red, then we are what we are, a shit country run by shit politicians supported by deplorable, shitty voters.     And that in fact may happen.  The Swams and Epis of the world may prevail, all while others buy donuts and shake their head muttering "tsk, tsk", while doing NOTHING.     And if that is true, then at least we will know what America  has become.   Maybe what it never was.  Maybe we are closer to the 1920s KKK marching in numbers down Pennsylvania Avenue than we are the Obama Inauguration crowds.   

But we will know, and there will not be any doubt about who we are a country.   Not now, after last week and this week.  If you vote GOP now, then you support Trump.  And if you support Trump - now - then you own it.  We own it.   America owns it.

We'll see.

I hate to say it, but I think you’re right.  If the democrats don’t have a good election night, then it makes you start to think “when are these guys ever going to win?”.

i still believe that James comey changed the trajectory of everything when he opened up his criminal investigation against Clinton less than one week before the election. Tons of people either didn’t vote or they voted for trump. Trump won Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania by a combined 70,000 votes. The rust belt is very swingy so I think Comey changed some minds.

the GOP have had the house for 8 years and th only thing they’ve done that is noteworthy is pass deeply unpopular tax cuts that they can’t even campaign on. The GOP is lying right into the face of voters about their willingness to protect pre-existing conditions. The GOP had their shot to repeal Obamacare and they shat the bed.

if the GOP wins this cycle, the democrats need to change everything up in the party from top to bottom. The democrats need this election badly. The party is almost non existent in state government. The gop has 33 out of 50 governorships. They control most state houses and legislatures across the country. If the democrats miss this “gimme” and don’t make some gains, then we very well could become a one party country of mouth breathing degenerates.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

For the record, Love is also LDS.  

But I'm not arguing that there is not a racist angle to this. 

She is LDS, but the church didnt stop teaching that black was inferior until 2013ish. So racism is still very much alive there. 

I don't know who Dems ran in the past that lost to her, but the current Dem candidate, a white male Mormon, is positioned to take both the blue wave voters and the Trump racist deplorables. And without looking up his policy positions, I would guess he is about as right wing as one could get in the Dem party. And probably to the right of the few RINOs left. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

14 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I hate to say it, but I think you’re right.  If the democrats don’t have a good election night, then it makes you start to think “when are these guys ever going to win?”.

i still believe that James comey changed the trajectory of everything when he opened up his criminal investigation against Clinton less than one week before the election. Tons of people either didn’t vote or they voted for trump. Trump won Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania by a combined 70,000 votes. The rust belt is very swingy so I think Comey changed some minds.

the GOP have had the house for 8 years and th only thing they’ve done that is noteworthy is pass deeply unpopular tax cuts that they can’t even campaign on. The GOP is lying right into the face of voters about their willingness to protect pre-existing conditions. The GOP had their shot to repeal Obamacare and they shat the bed.

if the GOP wins this cycle, the democrats need to change everything up in the party from top to bottom. The democrats need this election badly. The party is almost non existent in state government. The gop has 33 out of 50 governorships. They control most state houses and legislatures across the country. If the democrats miss this “gimme” and don’t make some gains, then we very well could become a one party country of mouth breathing degenerates.

If the Dems don't win the house, this country is done.  All that voter supression is going to come to a head. Its actually even better for the GOP in the long run if the Dems win the house here. Senate is a long shot for the Dems anyway, so its not a deal breaker. 

As far as state elections go, the majority live in a handful of states. I dont give a shit who Idaho puts in its state assembly. I care who Boise gets in the House. And more than that, I care who Houston and Austin get in the house. Gerrymandering needs to end. 

At this point, it may not even be worth it. We are in a trade war that damages nearly everyone in the nation because 4 middling population states wanted a trade war. The constitution is broken. The Moose in front of Iowa should have told you. Iowa, our 30th state in population. So much more important than California and Texas. And even more important than Florida, a swing state in its own right. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

If the Dems don't win the house, this country is done.  All that voter supression is going to come to a head. Its actually even better for the GOP in the long run if the Dems win the house here. Senate is a long shot for the Dems anyway, so its not a deal breaker. 

As far as state elections go, the majority live in a handful of states. I dont give a shit who Idaho puts in its state assembly. I care who Boise gets in the House. And more than that, I care who Houston and Austin get in the house. Gerrymandering needs to end. 

At this point, it may not even be worth it. We are in a trade war that damages nearly everyone in the nation because 4 middling population states wanted a trade war. The constitution is broken. The Moose in front of Iowa should have told you. Iowa, our 30th state in population. So much more important than California and Texas. And even more important than Florida, a swing state in its own right. 

I guess I don’t think it’s as bleak as you do. 

If the democrats win the house, they do get some goodies. They will be able to investigate trump using the power of subpoena to the fullest extent. They will be able to preserve Obamacare for 2 more years ( repubs are obsessed with killing it even tho they don’t have a real healthcare plan of their own). Most democrats will actually be able to turn on the news for the next 2 years and not get pissed off.

last I checked, Michigan is heavily gerrymandered like 9-4 repubs favor. The Dems will get rid of that crappy map after this election. Dems are strong in Michigan this year. Ohio will supposedly draw a more fair map in 2020. I still think the Dems are dealing with a nationwide map that is heavily slanted in the GOP’s favor. If they can get a house map that’s more equal, they would be able to compete in the house races more often. We could still go from 16 governors to 23 or 24 governorships. It’s possible.

the senate is the only area that looks really bad right now, but I know everything can change in a hurry.

Edited by Voldemort86

10 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I guess I don’t think it’s as bleak as you do. 

If the democrats win the house, they do get some goodies. They will be able to investigate trump using the power of subpoena to the fullest extent. They will be able to preserve Obamacare for 2 more years ( repubs are obsessed with killing it even tho they don’t have a real healthcare plan of their own). Most democrats will actually be able to turn on the news for the next 2 years and not get pissed off.

last I checked, Michigan is heavily gerrymandered like 9-4 repubs favor. The Dems will get rid of that crappy map after this election. Dems are strong in Michigan this year. Ohio will supposedly draw a more fair map in 2020. I still think the Dems are dealing with a nationwide map that is heavily slanted in the GOP’s favor. If they can get a house map that’s more equal, they would be able to compete in the house races more often. We could still go from 16-23 or 24 governorships. It’s possible.

the senate is the only area that looks bad right now, but I know everything can change in a hurry.

Everything you say is exactly why it is bleak. The Dems got the majority of votes in 2016 and were slaughtered on the map. And they got that majority even with widespread disenfranchisement that is only getting worse. What is the margin that you believe breaks the republic?  If Trump loses the popular vote in 2020 by 10 million, even after getting registrations purged in key states, and still wins the electoral college? Still not enough?  It simply cant go on much longer with this map. Especially when nearly the entire national economy is sitting in Dem hands. We are at peak fuckery. If 2018 and 2020 are fucked, then Cali needs to start the exit. Cascadia and the Northeast will follow. Nobody is going to stop it.  Hell, Cali should open separate trade with China now and see what happens. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Especially when nearly the entire national economy is sitting in Dem hands.

This part is just wrong.  Cali's economy is based on financial bubbles, inflation and the resulting speculation in real estate now.  NY's is based on politically-enforced control over our financial system.  There is a reason that Texas alone exports more than CA and NY COMBINED. 

CA and NY produce a lot of paper and vapor.  Foreign countries are not compelled to buy those because they lie outside the US political system.  Texas produces real wealth, which other countries wish to purchase..  Top level, Cali has 9.9% of manufactured exports YTD.  That is less than their share of the population.  Same for non-manufactured at 9.8% of the US total.  Texas OTOH exports 16.5% of all US manufactured goods - nearly double our share of the population.  Texas exports well over a quarter of all non-manufactured goods, which is more like triple what our population would indicate.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/Press-Release/2018pr/08/exh2s.pdf

Even in areas that CA prides itself on, like electronics and communications equipment, Texas produces and exports more than they do.  California looks rich but that per capita GDP advantage is largely illusory because the cost of living is so ridiculous due to the inflationary factors I referred to earlier.  Also the tax burden is so high that the avg CA household has considerably less disposable income than Texas families.  To top it off, the wealth inequality in California is just about the worst in the country.

18 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

This part is just wrong.  Cali's economy is based on financial bubbles, inflation and the resulting speculation in real estate now.  NY's is based on politically-enforced control over our financial system.  There is a reason that Texas alone exports more than CA and NY COMBINED. 

CA and NY produce a lot of paper and vapor.  Foreign countries are not compelled to buy those because they lie outside the US political system.  Texas produces real wealth, which other countries wish to purchase..  Top level, Cali has 9.9% of manufactured exports YTD.  That is less than their share of the population.  Same for non-manufactured at 9.8% of the US total.  Texas OTOH exports 16.5% of all US manufactured goods - nearly double our share of the population.  Texas exports well over a quarter of all non-manufactured goods, which is more like triple what our population would indicate.

Even in areas that CA prides itself on, like electronics and communications equipment, Texas produces and exports more than they do.  California looks rich but that per capita GDP advantage is largely illusory because the cost of living is so ridiculous due to the inflationary factors I referred to earlier.  Also the tax burden is so high that the avg CA household has considerably less disposable income than Texas families.  To top it off, the wealth inequality in California is just about the worst in the country.

There is more wealth concentrated in California then anywhere else in the country. California alone is the 5th largest economy on earth.

california and the northeast, both places have more wealth collectively then Texas.

28 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

At least out here we don’t elect stupid fucks to be president.

• Like 3

As tempting as it is to compare the contributions of Texas, NY, and California to the economy of the country I am going to avoid it. 

What are the odds of the R's keeping the House?

As of 1:08AM this morning they were 1 in 7. Goddammit quit worrying so much about the fucking deplorables. That's what they would prefer you to do. They want you afraid and fearful that they could win this thing.  Yes, they could keep it. It is a longshot. It might make for a nice filler column if somebody could find an example of this happening, when a 1 in 7 chance won anything of any great value like control of the House. To qualify it must have occurred after the Civil War. That's really stretching it because our politics post WW2 don't even remotely resemble what it was back then. Our politics NOW doesn't resemble what it was like when I was a kid in the 70s. In some ways I owe Trump a debt of gratitude. Gone are they days when they only hinted at the racism and kept the crazy part of the family back in the other room. Now, the crazies are front and center and nobody bothers to hide any more. It's right on out in the open. They are openly campaigning on lies, Big Whoppers. Goebbels like quality lies. Don't like being called a Nazi? Well then fucking stop acting like one. Godwin's law is dead. Atwater's Maxim is dead. Trump killed them both. When did Trump suck all the air out of the room and seal his rise to the top? Calling Mexicans rapists and murderers. At that moment he opened the seal and poured the straight undiluted poison that had been dribbled in to the mix for so long. They were eager for it. The bubbling, simmering poison that had been nurtured for so long was ready to be poured out to a willing audience. None of the others had the guts to do it. Isn't that how the wretched deplorables describe him? "He has the guts to say what he thinks!"

But, even that isn't enough for some. We have other threads on this. I am not going to go into it here. In this predawn hour I come back to read what was left behind and not a single one of you swinging dicks has commented on what I left behind. 

They are the ones that are scared. Cruz had to bow down and kiss the ring because he is fucking scared he is going to lose. They are pumping money into races they shouldn't have to because they are scared shitless of losing races in places where Trump won by double digits. Get that right. They are scared. Do not give into the fear. Rage at it, bless them that curse you, work your ass off, give money, do whatever you can find to do, but dear God do not give in to the fears. I don't think I need to tell any of you about complacency, none of us here are complacent about a damn thing except the quality of our own chili. Let Trump have his false sense of security. And beat him at the polls up and down the ticket. 

• Like 4

“I think people in North Carolina feel that those hearings were another example of how broken Washington is now,” McCready said in an interview. “For me, putting country over party, Democrats and Republicans working together, that’s the leadership we need right now.”

“I’m a little nervous because it feels like the momentum has shifted, and McCready feels like the underdog,” said Mike Stieglitz, an unaffiliated voter from southwest Charlotte who volunteered for McCready last week. “To me, it’s the fear that’s pushing everyone apart.”

5 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Interesting that you find goods to be the only thing that matters. As if CA's production of electronic equipment is even a blip compared to what they sell you over that equipment.  This is the Information Age, not the Industrial Revolution. 

The value of surly has little to do with the hardware where it resides. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Every time I read something like this, I think how amazing it is how many people dont get it. The manufacturing is the worthless bit, the IP and financial control are the real wealth on this planet. Anyone who doesn't want all low skilled manufacturing either offshored or done by robots is fucked in the head 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Maybe we are closer to the 1920s KKK marching in numbers down Pennsylvania Avenue than we are the Obama Inauguration crowds.   

I don’t think we are.   Those types are finding out that when they go public, and get identified by social media, etc., they lose jobs, they get kicked out of their parents’ house, they cry on tv about how that’s not what they really are while decent people are saying “yes, that’s exactly who you are”.  

It ties into my manifesto in another thread - the very things that help them organize and reinforce each other’s beliefs are also the very things that put them under a very bright and unforgiving spotlight.  

Look at how many racists are calling the cops on black people, for no reason, and thanks to social media and smartphones, said racists are having the tables turned and are being outted by name and fired.

it will be rough the next few years, but enough of these morons are willingly outting themselves as being shitheads, that they are getting themselves pushed out of the mainstream.  

8 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

We haven’t truly seen the full fallout of Trump’s trade wars shenanigans.  The GOP will not be able to defend that and pin it on the Dems.  They’ll try, and the ones who can afford to eat the extra costs will defend them, but many Trumpkins will not be able to handle it.  

Keep in mind that Trump could be imposing tariffs on everything from China.   

A whole lot of Trumpkins won’t be enthusiastic when they see airheads on Fox News who are getting paid six-figures to tell the Trumpkins that their shit sandwiches are made of the finest, tastiest shit.   Hit people in the wallet with tariffs that the GOP imposed, and they lose their enthusiasm.