Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, gmr548 said:

I mean, both sides of this argument are right. If a true freshman is outperforming an incumbent they should get the PT, obviously. However, were Texas to start three true freshman OL, the results would probably be wildly inconsistent at best.

That is probably going to be the case with the OL this year anyway just given where the room is at, even with last years recruiting haul. The sooner people internalize that and adjust expectations appropriately, the better.

Gun to my head, I expect 2 freshmen OL starters early, at least one on opening day. A 3rd may emerge over the season, I guess we’ll see. I expect to see the OL rotating more than anything that would look normal. 

As a result of that and the expected shitshow across the defensive side without a pass rush, I’m going to be shocked by anything more than 7-6 for the season. I wouldn’t be happy with that as a fan, but I could rationalize it knowing that an above average OL will be returning along with outstanding skill personnel on offense for 2023. 

So pathetically, I am crossing my fingers for a 7-5 record before the bowl game. Yayyy!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Chango said:

If they’re your best 3 linemen what do you propose? Playing inferior players because they’re upperclassman ?

start your 5 best players on the OL. but starting 3 true freshmen means a lot of inconsistency and pretty significantly lowers the ceiling on the team. just sucks to realize how fucking bad the OL currently on campus are.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

start your 5 best players on the OL. but starting 3 true freshmen means a lot of inconsistency and pretty significantly lowers the ceiling on the team. just sucks to realize how fucking bad the OL currently on campus are.

I think variability is high for sure but just going back through previous classes, a lot of five star o-line guys start as true freshmen. If our guys live up to the hype, it’s entirely possible we have an average/above average line this year. Just don’t count on it.

• Hook 'Em 2

If we do start 3 freshmen on the OL,  and they are as good as we think they are,  CTJ's point of looking forward to an above average OL returning is correct.  

However,  3 freshmen on the OL could cause a lot of beer cans to be thrown at the TV. 

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

If we do start 3 freshmen on the OL,  and they are as good as we think they are,  CTJ's point of looking forward to an above average OL returning is correct.  

However,  3 freshmen on the OL could cause a lot of beer cans to be thrown at the TV. 

Above average OL last year and we win 7-8 games. 

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Above average OL last year and we win 7-8 games. 

Hell a qb that can throw past 15 yard and not be scared would have beaten baylor 

Edited by Fug
Bad spelling
  • Hook 'Em 2

Gun to my head, I expect 2 freshmen OL starters early, at least one on opening day. A 3rd may emerge over the season, I guess we’ll see. I expect to see the OL rotating more than anything that would look normal. 
As a result of that and the expected shitshow across the defensive side without a pass rush, I’m going to be shocked by anything more than 7-6 for the season. I wouldn’t be happy with that as a fan, but I could rationalize it knowing that an above average OL will be returning along with outstanding skill personnel on offense for 2023. 
So pathetically, I am crossing my fingers for a 7-5 record before the bowl game. Yayyy!

Maybe I’m a sunshine pumper, but doesn’t sark (and Marion) now have the time and personnel to design a more quick hitting offense around the knowledge that the ol is the weak link?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

From the Volnation link a couple pages ago - seems like the clock is ticking on Clemson and Osborne:

Clemson told Osborne he HAS to give them a decision before July 5th. Maybe this is a July 4 shot at Dabo? Anyway, I don't think a 60% from a guy at Texas is conclusive. Wild development, tho.

The relevant question for this thread is if 7-5 before the bowl is good enough to hold on to a top 5 class. Fair to assume that most of these dudes are signing on right now with the expectation that they'll see significant progress this fall.

5-Star TE Duce Robinson likes the possibility of teaming up with 5-Star Plus+ QB Arch Manning

Chad Simmons•about 1 hour

Article written by:Chad Simmons

ChadSimmons_

Arch Manning committed to Texas over Alabama and Georgia last week. Since the No. 1 prospect in the On3 Consensus pledged to Steve Sarkisian, the Longhorns have reeled off nine commitments.

There will be more.

The next recruit to commit to Texas won’t be Duce Robinson, he is nowhere near a decision, but the No. 1 tight end in the country has his eye on the Longhorns and he has been in touch with Manning.

“Arch to Texas definitely opens my eyes to Texas a lot more,” Robinson told On3. “I already had an interest in them, but with Arch going there, my interest is higher.

“I talked with Arch a few days after his commitment and he hinted at me joining him at Texas. We have known each for a little while now, so it was more of us talking as friends, but we did talk some about Texas.”

Robinson was watching from the outside like all the college football recruiting fans out. He was tracking the Five-Star Plus+ quarterback’s visits, and when he heard it was Texas, Robinson was excited.

Texas is in line to receive an official visit from the star out of Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle when they host Alabama the weekend of Sept. 10. USC is considered the favorite according to the On3 Recruiting Prediciton Machine, but with Manning heading to Austin, that increases Texas’ chances.

“It is hard not to want to play with a quarterback like Arch. We have that friendship already, so that connection is already there. Then he is one of the top quarterbacks that any tight end or wide receiver would want to play with, so that does help Texas.

“Arch going to Texas got my attention. It was big for coach Sark and the program.”

Now Robinson wants to see how Sarkisian and his team do this season. It will be his second year as the head coach in Austin and Robinson will be watching closely.

“This is a big season for Texas,” Robinson said. “The talent is there to make big improvements. From recruiting to the transfer portal, Texas has gotten some guys that could be real difference-makers.

“They have a lot going for them right now, so I want to see how this season goes. They have an explosive offense, they have a lot of talent, and I want to learn more about what they can do with me.”

Jeff Banks is Robinson’s lead recruiter and he is in contact with Sarkisian on a regular basis as well.

Other than the Texas visit in September, Robinson is eyeing official visits to Alabama and Georgia during the season as well.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

As opposed to last year? Lol

I honestly think better QB play will have a big effect on the OL play. 

OL was 

#12 in average line yards

#7 in standard down line yards 

#43 in power rate

#13 in stuff rate

#90 in sack rate

#110 in standard down Sack rate (lot of long play action, this is where QB play comes into play)

#45 in Passing down sack rate (odd standard down sack rate is much higher)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2021

Those numbers are not horrific. It was above average run blocking unit and below average in pass pro.. I dont think 3 play. I am not worried about the guard spots. Freshmen isnt taking Majors spot. The issues are on the edges. I assume Flood will start most of the Freshmen at Tackle and slowly move them inside. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Codaxx said:

I honestly think better QB play will have a big effect on the OL play. 

OL was 

#12 in average line yards

#7 in standard down line yards 

#43 in power rate

#13 in stuff rate

#90 in sack rate

#110 in standard down Sack rate (lot of long play action, this is where QB play comes into play)

#45 in Passing down sack rate (odd standard down sack rate is much higher)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2021

Those numbers are not horrific. It was above average run blocking unit and below average in pass pro.. I dont think 3 play. I am not worried about the guard spots. Freshmen isnt taking Majors spot. The issues are on the edges. I assume Flood will start most of the Freshmen at Tackle and slowly move them inside. 

Agree completely.....If we get the ball out faster and can consistently hit the open deep ball then this offense is night and day difference from that bullshit we trotted out with Thompson.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The relevant question for this thread is if 7-5 before the bowl is good enough to hold on to a top 5 class. Fair to assume that most of these dudes are signing on right now with the expectation that they'll see significant progress this fall.

Who are the four plus Bama?  Conference looks to be down this year.

CTJ must think the world of Kerstetter for that loss to so affect the line’s performance.  

Back to recruiting, I think 7-5 or 7-6 peels off a couple but unmet expectations seems to hit the following class worse than the current one.  

Will 7-5 hold this class together?

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

At the rate we are going we might not hit 500. Which is cool if the reason we don’t hit 500 is because we basically have 24 guys locked up. H 8/1/2022 and we are just fucking around trying to reel in a random 5 star or two. 

2021 Transfer Thread is sitting at 6 pages. 2022 Transfer thread is on page 307. Those 300 pages would probably have been in the recruiting thread before this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, mannewers said:

I know things have been jaded the past decade plus but... JFC, I watch teams every year turn things around. I watch teams plug in RSF quarterbacks and turn things around/not skip a beat. If Ewers isn't leaps better than Casey fucking Thompson then there is no way in hell he is a generational QB. The Big 12 is down, the offense added more weapons. Yes, the D has lots of ?'s but a few more plays out of the offense last year and you are 7-9 wins.

Most of you really feel 8 or 9 wins is out of the question?!

FFS, call me a kool-aid drinker or whatever but quit sulking. I find it hard to believe 3-4 more wins versus last year is some leap of faith.

/rant

A perfect example is Baylor!!!!!!! Second year under Aranda they are Big 12 Champions!!!! Jesus! What is wrong Texas?

17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

15B483D9-AB9D-4001-A993-51ECF91A3434.gif.55a01e63ba6d3d921e7485a759b97d19.gif

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Workout vid with Johntay and Evan Stewart

Evan: Why he act like he don’t got Adidas on? 😂
Johntay: Aye, don’t worry about it. He gon’ be in that portal, watch. We gon’ be on the same team. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Agree completely.....If we get the ball out faster and can consistently hit the open deep ball then this offense is night and day difference from that bullshit we trotted out with Thompson.

This is all true, but it’s kinda funny to see your complete tone shift on Thompson compared to 8 months ago. I actually just searched back to find some of the stuff you said about him in September and October and was laughing. This take that popped up though took the cake.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:01 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Imma be real, Harsin is looking like a good hire for Auburn

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Work out vid with Johntay and Evan Stewart

Evan: Why he act like he don’t got Adidas on? 😂
Johntay: Aye, don’t worry about it. He gon’ be in that portal, watch. We gon’ be on the same team. 🤷🏾‍♂️

This is going to be the least surprising thing ever.

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Christian Jones is unplayable and could get Ewers killed. If Banks, Williams, and Campbell have to learn on the fly, then so be it. Not crazy about Majors at C either. If Hutson is bigger and comes in ready, then he should push him too.

Wil Anderson is going to end someone’s career that night. Let it be one of the older guys. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Christian Jones is unplayable and could get Ewers killed. If Banks, Williams, and Campbell have to learn on the fly, then so be it. Not crazy about Majors at C either. If Hutson is bigger and comes in ready, then he should push him too.

Theoretically Jones could become serviceable with another year of development and the move to RT. Not holding my breath but we’ll see. 

Majors was fine second half of last year. I’m not too worried about him or Angilau. Conner was bad when he played last year, but of course he was a true frosh so I’d expect improvement. Again, we’ll see. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Where do you think Campbell cracks the lineup first? RT or G?

My uninformed guess is only Banks starting week 1, then maybe 1-2 others sometime after Bama. Unfortunate that only Hutson was an EE bc otherwise it could be a different story. 

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Well in my not-exactly expert opinion the offensive line has ranged from meh to garbage for the past 16 years. What is one more year (or two...or three...)? The main thing is will these freshman hang around long enough to be good and provide depth.