Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It would be very surprising, because Stewart burned all his bridges with this staff. Pretty sure they’d tell him to fuck right off. 

If we're in a position to not accept some apologies and bended knees from a talent like Evan Stewart then we're in a damned good place, talent-wise.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is all true, but it’s kinda funny to see your complete tone shift on Thompson compared to 8 months ago. I actually just searched back to find some of the stuff you said about him in September and October and was laughing. This take that popped up though took the cake.

I tried to be as optimistic as I could for Thompson until that fucking pass vs Baylor.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Even with all of that dumbassery last season

Here's the thing about the dumbassery last season: it was a result of the non-dumbassed/correct way of running a defense ALSO not working. 

If the talent is a little better, and the coaching figures out a way to overcome not having all of the talent it is used to having, then coupling it with a much better offense gives the team a chance to win 9-10. Doesn't mean it'll happen, or that I think it will, but it's for sure doable. They were in plenty of games they lost last year... but on the flipside, they were in plenty of games they lost last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am a bit more bullish based on last year. We lost exactly zero linemen last year that I give any shit about having back, and the floor to these freshmen is absolutely higher. I also have a bit of confidence that we will get the defense at least playing more fundamentally sound and not doing stupid shit like playing bail techniques on 3rd and 1 and playing a walkon for the entire season at linebacker who averaged 10 YPC to his side. Even with all of that dumbassery last season we still should have won 3 more games with even a hint of competent QB play down the stretch and more than 1 passing target. We were literally fighting with 1 hand behind our back. I think 8-9 wins is a pretty reasonable expectation. 

Agree also bc of major upgrades at WR.

The most underrated factor though is team mentality. We probably lost 2-3 games last year bc of it (2nd half collapses and Kansas). Fix that alone and we’re probably looking at 7-5 last year. Can they fix it? Idk. 

• Like 1

Gun to my head, I expect 2 freshmen OL starters early, at least one on opening day. A 3rd may emerge over the season, I guess we’ll see. I expect to see the OL rotating more than anything that would look normal. 
As a result of that and the expected shitshow across the defensive side without a pass rush, I’m going to be shocked by anything more than 7-6 for the season. I wouldn’t be happy with that as a fan, but I could rationalize it knowing that an above average OL will be returning along with outstanding skill personnel on offense for 2023. 
So pathetically, I am crossing my fingers for a 7-5 record before the bowl game. Yayyy!

Agreed, essentially, for the reasons you state. I think the range of overwhelmingly likely outcomes is unusually narrow, between 6-8 regular season wins.

Will 7-5 hold this class together?

I’m no insider, but consider that Texas was 5-7 this past season and has been irrelevant for as long as these kids can remember. Forget VY, they were in first grade for 2010. Texas has never been shit to them. They know what they’re walking into.

We’ve definitely seen that momentum is real, but as long as there’s some flashes of individual opportunity and proof of concept, and the NIL money is there, there’s no logical reason a 7-5 year would derail the class.

13 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

They were in plenty of games they lost last year... but on the flipside, they were in plenty of games they lost last year. 

But if you flip it again, they were still in plenty of games they lost last year.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Here's the thing about the dumbassery last season: it was a result of the non-dumbassed/correct way of running a defense ALSO not working. 

If the talent is a little better, and the coaching figures out a way to overcome not having all of the talent it is used to having, then coupling it with a much better offense gives the team a chance to win 9-10. Doesn't mean it'll happen, or that I think it will, but it's for sure doable. They were in plenty of games they lost last year... but on the flipside, they were in plenty of games they lost last year. 

Team desperately needs someone like Collins to step up and finally play to his potential. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

The relevant question for this thread is if 7-5 before the bowl is good enough to hold on to a top 5 class. Fair to assume that most of these dudes are signing on right now with the expectation that they'll see significant progress this fall.

I just don’t see a repeat of last year.  I see 8-9 wins at a minimum.  CT cost us with picks against Baylor and Ok St as we were going in to score.  Card did us in with the pick 6 against Kansas. CT also missed many TD’s by leading the WR out of bounds or over throwing his target.  The defense was horrible.  If we can somehow have an average defense and the line plays similar to last year, 8-9 wins is simple.  If, and this is a big if, IF the defense is much improved and we get a decent OL, we can win 10 games.  Again, these are hypothetical but not out of the realm of possibility 

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I honestly think better QB play will have a big effect on the OL play. 

OL was 

#12 in average line yards

#7 in standard down line yards 

#43 in power rate

#13 in stuff rate

#90 in sack rate

#110 in standard down Sack rate (lot of long play action, this is where QB play comes into play)

#45 in Passing down sack rate (odd standard down sack rate is much higher)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2021

Those numbers are not horrific. It was above average run blocking unit and below average in pass pro.. I dont think 3 play. I am not worried about the guard spots. Freshmen isnt taking Majors spot. The issues are on the edges. I assume Flood will start most of the Freshmen at Tackle and slowly move them inside. 

add in that they were terrible with long passes, which reflects with them being so bad on long drives (starting at opponents 40 yard line they were #102 in the country and own 40 yard line were #120 per FEI available yards)

the offense struggled with Casey a ton. TO rate just ahead of Tech and KU. not very explosive - wish we had isoPPP for this - but just using a yards per play they were #8 in the B12 just ahead of WVU and KU and below the b12 average.

thread about B12 stats only from KSU_fan just a link not embedding it

https://twitter.com/ksu_FAN/status/1464830272663347205

even average QB play wins a few more games last year. i fully expect Ewers to be better this year than Casey was at his best last year, where he smoked terrible defenses.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

add in that they were terrible with long passes, which reflects with them being so bad on long drives (starting at opponents 40 yard line they were #102 in the country and own 40 yard line were #120 per FEI available yards)

the offense struggled with Casey a ton. TO rate just ahead of Tech and KU. not very explosive - wish we had isoPPP for this - but just using a yards per play they were #8 in the B12 just ahead of WVU and KU and below the b12 average.

thread about B12 stats only from KSU_fan just a link not embedding it

https://twitter.com/ksu_FAN/status/1464830272663347205

even average QB play wins a few more games last year. i fully expect Ewers to be better this year than Casey was at his best last year, where he smoked terrible defenses.

I expect better. QB play and defense were the 2 biggest issues for Texas last year (IMO). Great QB play can elevate a mediocre OL and vice versa. I think the offense gets rolling  by mid/late Oct, mostly because it will take a little time for QB to settle in and OL to gel. Texas needs to find ways to tread water until that happens. If Texas starts out 4-1, things get interesting. Have to win at least 3 of those 1st 5  or things get interesting in a unpleasant way. 

24 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Team desperately needs someone like Collins to step up and finally play to his potential. 

I'd be much more concerned if last year was an issue of squandering talent. Still not the most desirable situation to be in defensively, but I just don't see it being worse. Add in having an actual QB and 17 legit receivers and bijan robinson and an improved OL and that's where my optimism comes from. But there are two sides to all of that, so I can see just 7 wins etc... 

55 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It's amazing to me how few people, who otherwise should know better, recognize this.

I saw what kind of scheme we were running last year, and it actually made sense. The team just couldn't (or wouldn't) execute it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd be much more concerned if last year was an issue of squandering talent. Still not the most desirable situation to be in defensively, but I just don't see it being worse. Add in having an actual QB and 17 legit receivers and bijan robinson and an improved OL and that's where my optimism comes from. But there are two sides to all of that, so I can see just 7 wins etc... 

I mostly expect 7 wins because most of the areas of biggest need (that were filled) are positions like OL and QB where you need a couple of seasons to grow up and get decent at this level. We're not going to be there yet.

The good thing is, we have some actually good coaches on the staff now, and the high school coaches and players that matter (eg the Mannings) know this. So even if we don't see W's on the field, it's not going to keep the best and smartest players away; they'll recognize where we're going.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's amazing to me how few people, who otherwise should know better, recognize this.
I saw what kind of scheme we were running last year, and it actually made sense. The team just couldn't (or wouldn't) execute it.

Swapping out Brockermeyer and BJ Foster alone for more competent players IMO is an additional 2-3 wins. They were just awful. Then factor in an upgrade over Thompson at QB and that’s another win or 2. As atrocious as the Defense was the offense had some major issues for periods during games (sometimes entire quarters or more). Flat out gave away the OSU, Kansas and Baylor games.
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I expect better. QB play and defense were the 2 biggest issues for Texas last year (IMO). Great QB play can elevate a mediocre OL and vice versa. I think the offense gets rolling  by mid/late Oct, mostly because it will take a little time for QB to settle in and OL to gel. Texas needs to find ways to tread water until that happens. If Texas starts out 4-1, things get interesting. Have to win at least 3 of those 1st 5  or things get interesting in a unpleasant way. 

There will be growing pains at QB, people need to temper expectations a bit early in the year. Ewers hasn’t played a competitive college snap, he will make some bad mistakes like all newbies.

Agree that QB play impacts OL a lot. Card had zero pocket presence early last year. 

The other thing that helps both the QB and the OL is having WRs that actually get open so the QB can get the ball out. No question we should be a lot better in that category. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Gun to my head, I expect 2 freshmen OL starters early, at least one on opening day. A 3rd may emerge over the season, I guess we’ll see. I expect to see the OL rotating more than anything that would look normal. 

As a result of that and the expected shitshow across the defensive side without a pass rush, I’m going to be shocked by anything more than 7-6 for the season. I wouldn’t be happy with that as a fan, but I could rationalize it knowing that an above average OL will be returning along with outstanding skill personnel on offense for 2023. 

So pathetically, I am crossing my fingers for a 7-5 record before the bowl game. Yayyy!

https://www.bovada.lv/sports/football/college-season-props/futures-odd

If this moves to 8.5 wins, I might just put a few grand on the under. Might as well get paid if there's a disappointing season.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

https://www.bovada.lv/sports/football/college-season-props/futures-odd

If this moves to 8.5 wins, I might just put a few grand on the under. Might as well get paid if there's a disappointing season.

Instead of betting against your team, you could just take the over 2.5 wins for Kansas.

• Haha 2

I honestly think better QB play will have a big effect on the OL play. 

Those numbers are not horrific. It was above average run blocking unit and below average in pass pro.. I dont think 3 play. I am not worried about the guard spots. Freshmen isnt taking Majors spot. The issues are on the edges. I assume Flood will start most of the Freshmen at Tackle and slowly move them inside. 

Way too much positivity.

The lower power rate is on Sark. He was Herman-esque in trying to impose his will. Too little QB as a running threat. Too little TE usage. Too little Bijan-Roschon 2 back/wildcat sets. We need to scheme/play call success.

We played 3 of the top 17 and 6 of the top 40 teams creating TFLs on a per game basis. OSU was slightly higher than Bama. Of our 12 games, we gave up more TFLs than our opponents average in 4 of those. Two of those were 0.5 more than their average. Point being that our returning guys have seen pressure and aggressive defenses and have done well or better than average in many cases. They may not have seen Anderson, but they’ve played against that next tier of guys that bring the pressure.

The interesting question on the tackles is whether we play the guys who give you a B most consistently or the guy who’ll give you an A one play then a C, which presumably has the greater upside.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Way too much positivity.

The lower power rate is on Sark. He was Herman-esque in trying to impose his will. Too little QB as a running threat. Too little TE usage. Too little Bijan-Roschon 2 back/wildcat sets. We need to scheme/play call success.

We played 3 of the top 17 and 6 of the top 40 teams creating TFLs on a per game basis. OSU was slightly higher than Bama. Of our 12 games, we gave up more TFLs than our opponents average in 4 of those. Two of those were 0.5 more than their average. Point being that our returning guys have seen pressure and aggressive defenses and have done well or better than average in many cases. They may not have seen Anderson, but they’ve played against that next tier of guys that bring the pressure.

The interesting question on the tackles is whether we play the guys who give you a B most consistently or the guy who’ll give you an A one play then a C, which presumably has the greater upside.

OL you pick the highest floor every time. That’s a unit that’s about minimizing mistakes more than dominating battles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Forget VY, they were in first grade for 2010. Texas has never been shit to them. 

Don’t sell these kid’s perception skills short. Texas has definitely been shit to them. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Everyone is wrong about something occasionally if you take enough stands. This is your time to be wrong. Not about the defense being shitty, that’s baked in. But wrong about 7-6. This team is going to outscore it’s problems. 9-3 or 10-2. 
Grab your balls and get onboard. 

tl, dr; fuck them brakes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Way too much positivity.

I think if your offense is contingent on staying on schedule (ex. Herman offense), you want the line that is more consistently going to give you a B. If you’re running an explosive offense (a la Sark), then you probably want the line that gives you a perfect pocket every few plays because you know you’ll get a 30+ yard play off of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Way too much positivity.

What?

OSU averaged 8.36 TFLS per game. #1 in the country, they had 7 vs Texas

OU averaged 7.46 #13, 6 vs Texas

Baylor averaged 7.43 #14, 4 vs Texas

So I checked 3 of the 6 and not one those games did Texas give up more TFLs that than their opponent averaged. I didnt check the rest, because I pretty sure the number is not 4. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4

OL you pick the highest floor every time. That’s a unit that’s about minimizing mistakes more than dominating battles. 

I’d agree especially given our playmakers.

But I could see the possibility that the staff could say next year is our year and go with the higher upside and overlook the volatility this year.

On the right side, Jones is the floor. I’m comfortable with that. If he gets beat out, I’m going to assume the floor has been raised.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’d agree especially given our playmakers.

But I could see the possibility that the staff could say next year is our year and go with the higher upside and overlook the volatility this year.

On the right side, Jones is the floor. I’m comfortable with that. If he gets beat out, I’m going to assume the floor has been raised.

You don't just mail in the last season that you have a heisman caliber running back in your backfield. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Level 1 ("I am told ... ")

image.thumb.png.16dadaa2b601c549c803106a70b640ed.png

I got a notification " thegoat_hill is going live now with sydirm, maje.__, and mikalpilot " .

It was gone when I tried to join, but probably a good sign that Hill, Sydir, Pilot, and S'Maje were on IG Live together.