Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

30 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Reveal hidden contents

Team news and notes on Isaiah Neyor and the fabulous freshman offensive linemen, plus latest on Javien Toviano, Hunter Osborne, Jalen Hale, David Hicks Jr, and more. Get some July 4th Scoop.

TEAM 

*Isaiah Neyor isn't afraid of work. While others are enjoying the sun and sights of the July 4th weekend, the Wyoming receiver transfer is working. Pete Luton, known as the "Receiver Factory" in Florida, came to DFW to train a handful of prospects recently. And Neyor was in the bunch, working on technique, releases, and footwork.

"He's a machine," said one source on location. "He walks in serious, he works out serious, and he leaves without saying much. Others are soaking up the holiday, Neyor is out here trying to get better."

*These freshmen offensive linemen continue to impress. (Left to right) Kelvin Banks, Devon Campbell, Cole Hutson, Neto Umeozulu, Cam Williams are the five fabulous freshmen. While we expect a mixture of lettermen and youth on the starting offensive line for Week 1, don't be surprised if you see Texas run out five freshmen for a few series during the season. This group could potentially be stellar, given how close they've become over the last six months.

RECRUITING 

Hunter Osborne, DL, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville: There is growing confidence on the Texas side of this recruitment. The On3 Consensus 4-star has been on an August timeline for making a decision, but not sure that sticks. Texas has the stamp of approval from the family. Clemson may not. Tennessee is a wild card that is closer to home.

Terrance Green, DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods: The On3 Consensus 4-star will be on campus to end July, and a decision will likely come a week after. Texas continues to trend favorably headed into the visit weekend.

David Hicks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow: The On3 Consensus 5-star has a had a couple of days of multiple initiated contacts with the Texas staff. And that includes Hicks, and his family members. Texas continues to make headway in this recruitment. Hicks is currently scheduled to be at Oklahoma the last weekend of July with his mother. Hicks and Anthony Hill are in contact quite a bit these days.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas): Talks continue to heat up between Texas and the On3 Consensus No. 76 prospect for 2023. There may be no better recruiter than Johntay Cook in this pursuit. The Desoto (Texas) four-star and UT pledge has been working on Hale since last spring. Hale is eye-balling a visit to Austin for the BBQ event on July 29th, and knows how important that trip could be.

Texas is filling up rapidly and they'd like Hale to join the mix. But for that to happen, it's imperative to get Hale back in Austin. Jaden Greathouse remains a priority and Jaquaize Pettaway is looking to decide soon. Hale wants to make absolutely certain of his decision, he'd like to make it before his senior season, but is also a kid that refuses to de-commit, so he wants to be sure when he makes the call. Brennan Marion and staff are not letting up.

Alabama, Georgia, and USC remain in Hale's top schools category.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (Texas) Martin: Nothing like getting a notification of "Arch Manning to Texas" while boarding a flight for an official visit to Michigan. Then minutes later receiving a text message from Manning saying "It's time, bro. It's Texas."

Toviano tells Inside Texas it was difficult to focus on his An Arbor trip knowing Manning just delivered a thunder bolt to the Texas Class of 2023. Oregon, LSU, and Ohio State will still get visits, but the On3 four-star hitting the ATX for the July 29th BBQ is in his crosshairs. Then this gets fun.

Is Campbell still starting out at OT instead of G?

10 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Wonder if they came fir them and a&m hard hence the light recruiting results so far for both. 

I think they just got Cristobald for a 5 star lineman like we did for Banks. He has coached 4 of the last 5 Outland trophy winners. It's a hell of a sales pitch.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Interesting

@closetojumping

A88907F8-6408-4515-AA68-70DCBC0B7BE1.jpeg

I wonder how many programs are mixing bags and unrealistic NIL pitches to get a massive recruiting boost while creating a ticking time bomb in their program. You drop a bag as a pseudo signing bonus make it seem as though that will be a regular thing and then tie that with a NIL pitch that just isn't realistic. Hey kid here is 250k and we can get you 2 mil in NIL if you sign with us. But in reality that 250k is a one time deal and the 2 million is if you are a Heisman finalist on title winning team. Only for the kid to get to campus ride the pine his freshman year to a 7-5 season and whopping 15k NIL money hawking discounts at a detail shop.   

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Is Campbell still starting out at OT instead of G?

That was always the case. Campbell wanted to play Tackle and the coaches said he could start there. Have 0 worries about him playing RT in college. His eventual position will be guard in the NFL, but he has plenty of athleticism for college at RT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That was always the case. Campbell wanted to play Tackle and the coaches said he could start there. Have 0 worries about him playing RT in college. His eventual position will be guard in the NFL, but he has plenty of athleticism for college at RT

Just wonder if he could make a quicker and possibly greater impact at G. I.e. I’d rather have him as an All American G than an above average T, especially if Banks and Jones/Cam can handle the tackle spots. 

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'm noticing a trend as I read recruiting pages from a few other universities (mostly sec)... Every. Single. Time. Someone mentions aggy buying their class last year. Fuckers cry about us claiming they cheat, drop bags, whatever... But this is universal now. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
Fat fingers
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Just wonder if he could make a quicker and possibly greater impact at G. I.e. I’d rather have him as an All American G than an above average T, especially if Banks and Jones/Cam can handle the tackle spots. 

I don’t complete disagree, but Texas needs tackles. Sure up the edges on both LOS and Texas is a different team. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'd like to see Neto at center....IDK why just seems like a smart athletic guy

I tend to agree. Center is one of the most important positions on the OL. I think Flood has 2 jobs. One to develop and one to figure out how these pieces come together. If the hype is correct, that maybe the harder job 

16 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Justin Blalock was probably 6’3” flat footed and he was an all American OT for us. I’m betting he’s going to be the most polished right away. Having too many good OT’s so Campbell moves inside would be a great problem to have one day. 

56 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think they just got Cristobald for a 5 star lineman like we did for Banks. He has coached 4 of the last 5 Outland trophy winners. It's a hell of a sales pitch.

Looking at the list this seems incorrect, but I could be missing something.

18 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Justin Blalock was probably 6’3” flat footed and he was an all American OT for us. I’m betting he’s going to be the most polished right away. Having too many good OT’s so Campbell moves inside would be a great problem to have one day. 

But will he be willing to move inside later? Seems pretty uncommon for guys to make that move unless they’re struggling

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

From the sound of things, Campbell and Williams may be battling it out at the RT spot in camp. Jones needs to move inside or to the bench. Our best line may well be Banks, Angilau, Majors, Campbell, Williams.

If it is, it is and I hope they play the best group. But 3 true freshmen and an undersized center wouldn’t have me feeling very confident. 

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

From the sound of things, Campbell and Williams may be battling it out at the RT spot in camp. Jones needs to move inside or to the bench. Our best line may well be Banks, Angilau, Majors, Campbell, Williams.

I'll be surprised if Williams starts this year. Sounds like some classic 9.95er kool-aid. I think it'll be Banks, Ang, Majors, Connor/Campbell, Jones/Campbell. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I tend to agree. Center is one of the most important positions on the OL. I think Flood has 2 jobs. One to develop and one to figure out how these pieces come together. If the hype is correct, that maybe the harder job 

Hutson and Robertson voiced wanting to play center. Hutson showed he can play Guard, sounds like he's also taking reps at Center. He'll be a much stonger body vs. Majors, we'll see if he can manage the mental test.

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'll be surprised if Williams starts this year. Sounds like some classic 9.95er kool-aid. I think it'll be Banks, Ang, Majors, Connor/Campbell, Jones/Campbell. 

*Conner. Respect our resident physicist.

Joe Cook (playing Bobby Burton's role) and Justin Wells discussing recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

I wonder how many programs are mixing bags and unrealistic NIL pitches to get a massive recruiting boost while creating a ticking time bomb in their program. You drop a bag as a pseudo signing bonus make it seem as though that will be a regular thing and then tie that with a NIL pitch that just isn't realistic. Hey kid here is 250k and we can get you 2 mil in NIL if you sign with us. But in reality that 250k is a one time deal and the 2 million is if you are a Heisman finalist on title winning team. Only for the kid to get to campus ride the pine his freshman year to a 7-5 season and whopping 15k NIL money hawking discounts at a detail shop.   

CHINOOK sunflower seeds the SUPERFOOD - endurancereview.com

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The Yankees are pretty much hated by everyone except themselves.  So they got that going for them.  

Agreed. They line up on that. However, there is a bit of incongruity when comparing their trophy rooms.

Edited by Wishbone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

I wonder how many programs are mixing bags and unrealistic NIL pitches to get a massive recruiting boost while creating a ticking time bomb in their program. You drop a bag as a pseudo signing bonus make it seem as though that will be a regular thing and then tie that with a NIL pitch that just isn't realistic. Hey kid here is 250k and we can get you 2 mil in NIL if you sign with us. But in reality that 250k is a one time deal and the 2 million is if you are a Heisman finalist on title winning team. Only for the kid to get to campus ride the pine his freshman year to a 7-5 season and whopping 15k NIL money hawking discounts at a detail shop  for sunflower seeds.   

fify

dammit @Redneck Mutha beat me to it.

Edited by Lone Star Horn