Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I know a lot of people get lost in the 100m track times but I'm not a fan of the tiny guys we've been taking. Not saying we should go full Tom Herman/Bobby Kennedy at the position. But I prefer the 6' to 6'2 guys who can still run....may not be sub 10.5 but like 10.8 10.7 type with larger catch radius and aren't easily knocked off routes.

Sark trying to catch lightning in a bottle again. Wants another DeVonta 

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The only funny part of watching Nibblet flip is watching Nahlin break out his usual sanctimonious tone to tell everyone it’s no big deal that we have one WR commit after only signing two last year. 

That did read like a trust Jimbo manifesto. Although WR does seem like the best position to add portal guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, at this point I'm tired of hearing the excuses of why we don't actually need any of these guys we're not getting.  Niblett flipping to Houston?  Recruiting is about the portal now, who cares.  Jalen Hale?  Staff backed off at the end.  Petteway?  Momma never liked us.  Brown?  Always eyed LSU.  Wilson flipped to Houston?  JAG.  Cozart?  Texas offered him, but wasn't in offer with him, you know?  Greathouse?  Sark doesn't like extremely productive WRs, doesn't profile to Texas.  MHP?  Coaching staff backed off again.  Parker?  Totally would have committed, but Sark went a different direction, that direction apparently being "fuck WRs."  Moore?  Looking like a flip to Texas, therefore he was totally our guy all along.  Not to mention how slowly we've been playing the portal right now.

Fuck this noise.  We dropped a lot of catchable balls last year and that's kind of a problem when your QB doesn't throw a lot of catchable balls.  If the coaching staff doesn't bring in a lot of new faces, it's a failure of roster management at the WR position.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Yeah, at this point I'm tired of hearing the excuses of why we don't actually need any of these guys we're not getting.  Niblett flipping to Houston?  Recruiting is about the portal now, who cares.  Jalen Hale?  Staff backed off at the end.  Petteway?  Momma never liked us.  Brown?  Always eyed LSU.  Wilson flipped to Houston?  JAG.  Cozart?  Texas offered him, but wasn't in offer with him, you know?  Greathouse?  Sark doesn't like extremely productive WRs, doesn't profile to Texas.  MHP?  Coaching staff backed off again.  Parker?  Totally would have committed, but Sark went a different direction, that direction apparently being "fuck WRs."  Moore?  Looking like a flip to Texas, therefore he was totally our guy all along.  Not to mention how slowly we've been playing the portal right now.

Fuck this noise.  We dropped a lot of catchable balls last year and that's kind of a problem when your QB doesn't throw a lot of catchable balls.  If the coaching staff doesn't bring in a lot of new faces, it's a failure of roster management at the WR position.

There’s no need to fuck around with anything but bluest of the blue HS WR when you can go snag a guy who you know who he is from the portal. I don’t see any reason why we should ever worry about signing any more than 2 high school WR per year when you can go add one or two more ready to play immediately at any time. 

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There’s no need to fuck around with anything but bluest of the blue HS WR when you can go snag a guy who you know who he is from the portal. I don’t see any reason why we should ever worry about signing any more than 2 high school WR per year when you can go add one or two more ready to play immediately at any time. 

People keep saying this regarding the portal, but our WR portal takes thus far has yet to fully be realized in anyway. We have already lost one WR recruit and are in danger of losing another. There is no guarantee we get the necessary talent from the transfer portal either. We will never be the only school shopping for WR talent in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So why did we ever offer guys like Cozart and Wilson in the first place?  Why offer anyone other than 5 stars?

This is pure spin.  The staff is having problems recruiting WRs because our passing game sucked this year and we're being effectively recruited against.

When we take 4 WRs in the next class, the spin will be "only loser programs that need mercenaries rely on the portal.  Everyone knows you build teams through recruiting."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Losing a guy we really want in Niblett to UH is crazy. Not much of a way to spin something like that.

It's my understanding that not every recruit will end up UT. Other schools have something to offer. You only need to spin things if the overall class that signs is poor.

Black students often attend UH because it's more comfortable there because you're not such a clear minority. Recruits may just prefer the coaches.

Release your pearls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Lol if you think that

I'm sorry, what would you call losing recruits to shitty schools?  Bad luck?

I'm not shouting that the sky is falling, I think we'll get ours.  But I'd like to see something tangible to indicate the coaching staff has a plan at WR.  Excuse me if losing recruits and doing nothing in the portal fails to inspire confidence.

Edited by Fumbles

5 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

I'm not shouting that the sky is falling, I think we'll get ours.  But I'd like to see something tangible to indicate the coaching staff has a plan at WR.  Excuse me if losing recruits and doing nothing in the portal fails to inspire confidence.

Doing nothing in the portal? Is the complaint here lack of effort or lack of results that gratify you six days in and before fall semesters are even complete?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Anyone flipping from Texas to UH is doing it for irrational, non-football related reasons. Lots of 18 year olds are fucking stupid, not everything is an indictment of our program.

The story on Jonah Wilson's Texas to UH flip was because he has a small child at home in Houston and his father made him take responsibility. Non-football related reason, yes, but definitely not irrational.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, UDontKnow said:

The story on Jonah Wilson's Texas to UH flip was because he has a small child at home in Houston and his father made him take responsibility. Non-football related reason, yes, but definitely not irrational.

The “has a kid” excuse has always been bullshit in recruiting. The Central Michigan safety was going to go home somewhere to be near his kid until he signed and transferred to Ole Miss, over 1500 miles from home. Wilson flipped to UH because they wanted him a hell of a lot more than Texas did.

Whatever folks want to think, Texas canceled its in-home with Hale. Bama drove the price up and Texas didn’t feel like he was worth it. I guess we’re going to find out here shortly if that was foolish.

Anyone that really believes Texas will land Lane over USC hasn’t been paying attention. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

You said our passing game “sucking” is turning kids away and other schools are recruiting against it. 

So the University of Houston, who is losing their starting QB and had to bring in the 3rd stringer from Texas Tech in the portal, convinced Jonah Wilson and Ryan Niblett that they need to decommit from Texas because Houston’s passing game is better off in the future? It had nothing to do with Jonah Wilson needing to stay close to home for personal reasons or Niblett having a single mom and 3 siblings and Houston’s campus being 20 minutes away from his home? Niblett just all of sudden realized 10 days before signing day “oh shit, Houston had a better passing game than Texas last year I probably need to go there”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

So why did we ever offer guys like Cozart and Wilson in the first place?  Why offer anyone other than 5 stars?

This is pure spin.  The staff is having problems recruiting WRs because our passing game sucked this year and we're being effectively recruited against.

When we take 4 WRs in the next class, the spin will be "only loser programs that need mercenaries rely on the portal.  Everyone knows you build teams through recruiting."

Uhm, I can haz an opinion different than the coaching staff? 
Here is another hint- I wasn’t ever impressed with the old staff having 14 guys in the room either. 
WR is populated by the biggest divas in sports. You want 3 studs that you play almost all the time and 2 or so guys on standby and then a couple program guys. You can absolutely get a stud and a program guy anytime you want from the portal if you are Texas. We were just unlucky last year to have our stud get injured. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

He could see Marion applying for HC jobs and that could turn him off. You never really know. They have a plan, the question is can they execute

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He could see Marion applying for HC jobs and that could turn him off. You never really know. They have a plan, the question is can they execute

Would be stupid if so. The odds of any position coach being there for all 4 years you play football nowadays at any school is probably pretty low considering how active the carousel is every offseason, especially if you are going to do a school that is having success. Of course there are exceptions but it’s not the norm.

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The “has a kid” excuse has always been bullshit in recruiting. The Central Michigan safety was going to go home somewhere to be near his kid until he signed and transferred to Ole Miss, over 1500 miles from home. Wilson flipped to UH because they wanted him a hell of a lot more than Texas did.

Whatever folks want to think, Texas canceled its in-home with Hale. Bama drove the price up and Texas didn’t feel like he was worth it. I guess we’re going to find out here shortly if that was foolish.

Anyone that really believes Texas will land Lane over USC hasn’t been paying attention. 

What's going on with Dylan Spencer?

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's my understanding that not every recruit will end up UT. Other schools have something to offer. You only need to spin things if the overall class that signs is poor.

Black students often attend UH because it's more comfortable there because you're not such a clear minority. Recruits may just prefer the coaches.

Release your pearls.

I’m going to go ahead and make the assumption you’re not much in a position to preach to me about what black students are comfortable with.

We’ll see how it goes, but I’m not going to pretend having 1 WR committed this late is a good thing. I hope we can keep him.

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I’m going to go ahead and make the assumption you’re not much in a position to preach to me about what black students are comfortable with.

We’ll see how it goes, but I’m not going to pretend having 1 WR committed this late is a good thing. I hope we can keep him.

Am I wrong? I'm not preaching, I'm repeating what I've often heard thus the word "often."

Does your allusion to our race really have anything to do with what I posted?

Pretend whatever you like. You seem to enjoy doing so.

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would be stupid if so. The odds of any position coach being there for all 4 years you play football nowadays at any school is probably pretty low considering how active the carousel is every offseason, especially if you are going to do a school that is having success. Of course there are exceptions but it’s not the norm.

Kids make a lot of stupid decisions for reasons unknown to me. If they thought like me Stanford would dominate the PAC, Ohio State would be Northwestern’s bitch, and Vandy would be a perennial power in the SEC. So I don’t have any idea what goes on in their heads. The only thing I know is Marion’s BS has not been as good as some other coaches’ BS

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

What's going on with Dylan Spencer?

No clue. 

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Anyone saying they’re okay losing Niblett is either ignorant, skilled in the art of self-deception, or wishcasting spin for Sarkisian and Marion. They need to hold on to that recruit. That’s it. If they don’t, they fucked it up. I don’t care how much he’s being offered by the idiots at UH. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Am I wrong? I'm not preaching, I'm repeating what I've often heard thus the word "often."

Does your allusion to our race really have anything to do with what I posted?

Pretend whatever you like. You seem to enjoy doing so.

This is very off topic, so I’ll let this be my last word. UH is about 10% black, UT is about 5%. UT also has like 5 to 6k more students overall, so there isn’t a huge difference in the amount of black people there.

Unless a black kid goes to an HBCU, he’s probably going to have to deal with a lot of the same things anywhere else. UH is not some safe space for black folks.

Edited by Lonestar88

Sark is in real danger of losing both of his top two receivers from a roster lacking a third receiver already and Nahlin chose this moment to press home the “trust the corches you idiot subscribers”. The man never fails to impress me with his ability to shit all over the people that pays his bills. And yes if Nibblet goes to Houston, Worthy to USC and Whittington to the NFL our WR room will be, interesting next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Sark is in real danger of losing both of his top two receivers from a roster lacking a third receiver already and Nahlin chose this moment to press home the “trust the corches you idiot subscribers”. The man never fails to impress me with his ability to shit all over the people that pays his bills. And yes if Nibblet goes to Houston, Worthy to USC and Whittington to the NFL our WR room will be, interesting next year. 

Nahlin was the same guy who wasn't impressed when we had Niblett and Wilson in the boat 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Nahlin was the same guy who wasn't impressed when we had Niblett and Wilson in the boat 

LOL his flip in opinion on Niblett is truly great.....

Also I'm not sure I like this staff's gamble with regards to recruiting this year. Last year a TON of coaching turnover happened at competitors schools that helped. We have a good to great class this year but some of the gambles and choosing who and who not to push while being conservative in the portal is a tad concerning. I guess I'll let it play out under the assumption once NSD1 they'll go sicko mode in the portal to fill a ton of needs this team has. Currently there is tons of excuses of why this portal player is or isn't being pursued and the whole "being selective for culture fit" shit is dumb as fuck considering the 2 guys they took from Bama, one of whom they already cut ties with. How did they not know they weren't a culture fit when they brought them over given this staffs history at Bama.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You said our passing game “sucking” is turning kids away and other schools are recruiting against it. 

So the University of Houston, who is losing their starting QB and had to bring in the 3rd stringer from Texas Tech in the portal, convinced Jonah Wilson and Ryan Niblett that they need to decommit from Texas because Houston’s passing game is better off in the future? It had nothing to do with Jonah Wilson needing to stay close to home for personal reasons or Niblett having a single mom and 3 siblings and Houston’s campus being 20 minutes away from his home? Niblett just all of sudden realized 10 days before signing day “oh shit, Houston had a better passing game than Texas last year I probably need to go there”

Did Niblett just all of a sudden realize 10 days before signing day that he has a single mom and 3 other siblings in Houston?

• Haha 6

Being more selective when the roster is in better shape I do agree with. Texas is not in rebuild the roster mode so no reason to take risks in general. But receiver and safety need starters even if the rest of the roster is healthier. Maybe they have Whittington and Worthy already lined up with NIL and those are variables we do not know about. Or they have a day one starter already lined up in the portal. But at the moment, WR looks concerning without knowing for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, anyone who would choose willingly to play at UH instead of Texas is so monumentally stupid I have a hard time giving a shit at all. You are too fucking stupid for words and I will continue to feel like we dodged a bullet keeping any such moron off the roster. 

They will catch passes from QB Caleb McMickle rather than Arch Manning.    Can't fix stupid.  

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So you're saying Gerry Hamilton's reports on UT's recruitment of Ja'Kobi Lane are off?

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Nahlin may be the most tone deaf of the 995ers

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the bowl season is a bigger issue than NSD1 for dealing with the portal. A lot of this could drag on into January. 

You reference “a ton of needs”. I don’t see anything that dire if things go their way with Hill, Moore, a DL, and then hanging on to Niblett and Williams. 

One other thing that is crazy to me about WRs looking elsewhere is that Arch Manning is in this fucking class. 

WR, DL(would like more experience here), LB(not much on the roster outside of freshmen and jags if Ford goes down), safety(for the love of god get Taeffe and Crawford off the field). experience at Edge.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the bowl season is a bigger issue than NSD1 for dealing with the portal. A lot of this could drag on into January. 

You reference “a ton of needs”. I don’t see anything that dire if things go their way with Hill, Moore, a DL, and then hanging on to Niblett and Williams. 

One other thing that is crazy to me about WRs looking elsewhere is that Arch Manning is in this fucking class. 

The reasoning makes sense but still seems like this slow approach is playing with fire a little bit at WR and LB.

X and Whit could both leave and Neyor's health is TBD. Stewart could change his mind 5 times this month (fool me once...).

At LB, we have one reliable option, Ford, who could still go pro. Hill may go to ATM and would be a True Fr which is tough. Even if both of those go our way, that's a real thin room. 

8 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

As I suspected & predicted in this thread last week, Gerry Hamilton is reporting he doesn't expect the UT staff to push for DT Justin Benton despite bringing him in for an OV.

If I had to guess, he is probably lighter than his 275 lb listed weight. We already have two of those sized guys from last year in Jaray Bledsoe and Kris Ross. We need more of the Sydir Mitchell types.

Edited by Vertigo

If we don’t push for Benton and Pierce heads elsewhere as expected, adding an interior DL definitely becomes a priority in the portal in my mind. Sweat, Murphy, Collins, Broughton is a decent floor with Bryant behind them and Mitchell enrolling early, but I think it would be smart to get another experienced body. Bledsoe is going to be a wildcard because who knows where his body is going to take him.