Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

58 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Tillman is apparently promising recruits unlimited free meals at Rainforest Cafe. I don’t see how we can compete with that. 

We have a guy who has a place with a fishing boat in Costa Rica. Surely he can put an NIL together. Just monkeys, though, no great apes.

1 minute ago, Vermin said:

Is the mom going to be dropping by for daily visits? 2.5 hours for 7 home games is easily managed.

That would depend:

1. Do you own a car?

2. Do you have a low paying job that requires you to work on Saturdays?

3. Do you ever really leave the greater Houston Metro area?

I used to work with kids from middle class families in the Galveston County area that basically never left the metro area.  Took a group to Tech once for a contest...talk about culture shock for those kids.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

From 247: 

One name we hear that's expected to be on campus is Anthony Hill. The five-star linebacker will make his decision next week, and the Longhorns have a pivotal in-home visit upcoming on Thursday. They saved Steve Sarkisian's trip for the last week in an attempt to push for a close to this recruitment.

If they can get Hill down to Austin for a follow-up trip after that, it obviously bodes very well for the Longhorns. Hill's camp has closed ranks and almost no information is getting out right now.

We have heard that one member of the Texas class that's been in communication with him is Liona Lefau.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

That's big. Tyler Scott has been a relatively quiet recruitment from the 9.95ers since he blew up his senior season. Has the height the coaches prefer in their safeties as well

It doesn't seem like we have had much success with late risers. I don't know if that's true but all the guys who I can think of have made marginal contributions. That isn't any indictment of Scott, just an observation.

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

That's big. Tyler Scott has been a relatively quiet recruitment from the 9.95ers since he blew up his senior season. Has the height the coaches prefer in their safeties as well

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It doesn't seem like we have had much success with late risers. I don't know if that's true but all the guys who I can think of have made marginal contributions. That isn't any indictment of Scott, just an observation.

Pretty sure UT is recruiting Tyler Scott at CB. But we all know the UT coaching staff like to recruit versatile DBs who can play multiple DB positions, so Tyler Scott might fit that description.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Nahlin just mentioned he'd have Tyler Scott to Texas at 70%. Looks like he just visited Bama and is slated to visit Texas on the 17th.

https://247sports.com/player/tyler-scott-46133942/

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Offer list better than his composite, that’s for sure

That's typical for a late bloomer senior season eval.

• Fuck You 1

I wonder if A&M has to pay guys like this just to come visit. That was the thought with that USC QB recruit who is a bigger deal than this guy, but now that place is a raging shit fire.
I suppose if I were an Aggie, I could say that a buddy of mine close to the program says they're paying guys $10K just to come interview. But I'm not a lying piece of shit.
They're desperate, he'll be driving back to Mansfield in whatever equates to a gold Trans-Am these days.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Damn you ain’t getting away with this bs nonsense. Does jaylan ford or pj Locke ring a bell. Both late offers and became very productive starters. You have your fucking head in the sand and you’re just talking out of your ass. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

We all know coaches aren’t allowed to publicly talk about or mention recruits until they sign their LOI. So is Marion doing this a loophole OR a potential NCAA violation?

I'm guessing pics are fine, because he's not saying anything? Seems like it'd be a dumb loophole but it is the NCAA. Or it'll be one of the "minor infractions" schools report to the NCAA to keep them from being a pain in the ass 

Mostly I know they can't mention their name and I think they can't retweet them? Idk, but this is the first time I've seen one of our coaches post a pic of a recruit that I can recall 

Consensus top-60 DB Javien Toviano breaks down contenders ahead of decision

Sam Spiegelman•30 minutes

Article written by:Sam Spiegelman

samspiegs

Photo: On3 - Sam Spiegelman

It’s becoming crunch time on the recruiting calendar as some of the nation’s best begin to reveal their college decisions. That includes four-star Texas defensive back Javien Toviano.

Toviano, a top-60 player on the On3 Consensus, will reveal his college decision Thursday, Dec. 15 at noon CT at Arlington (Texas) Martin. He’ll choose from Texas, LSU, Georgia, Michigan and Texas A&M.

Toviano has been sitting on this decision for several months and told On3 elected not to make visits the past two weekends to reaffirm the choice with his family.

“I’ve spent the past two months getting out to places I thought I was really interested in,” Toviano told On3. “I couldn’t get some visits in and that weeded out the process a bit. I was still able to have several over-the-phone conversations and constant communication with some universities I’m interested in, and that really reaffirmed Texas, Texas A&M, LSU and Michigan.”

“It’s been fun,” the Consensus‘ No. 55 player added. “I’ve definitely drained the process and gotten everything I wanted out of it.”

Longhorns and Aggies aim to keep Toviano in-state

Toviano has been a top priority in the secondary for both of the in-state heavyweights since he was an underclassman.

The four-star DB has two former Martin teammates on the Forty Acres in Trevelle Johnson and Maurice Blackwell. The Longhorns were early favorites in Toviano’s recruitment after putting an early offer on the table.

“I think Texas has done everything they could have in my process,” he said. “The way they approached everything was awesome and perfect.”

TJ Rushing has kept a steady approach with Toviano for the Aggies, including several stops at the high school to check on the elite hybrid defensive back once he announced a December 21 decision date.

“They have intrigue,” Toviano said. “He (Rushing) visited me two or three times this past week and as soon as he found out I was committing, he did everything he could to get that last official visit before signing day. He’s an awesome coach and Texas A&M has done everything they can for sure.”

LSU, Michigan are also battling for Toviano

LSU jumped in the pool late with Toviano, but offered soon after Brian Kelly arrived in Baton Rouge. He’s since visited in the spring, summer and twice for games this fall, including an official visit in September for the Southern contest and was also in town for the Alabama game last month.

“It’s been fun going out there and you know, originally, LSU came out of the blue. They became a darkhorse all of a sudden, but to see what they’re doing with Harold Perkins and other freshmen playing has been great,” Toviano said.

Toviano officially visited LSU as well as Ann Arbor and Athens in the summer. The Wolverines’ success on defense has caught his eye throughout the fall as a spectator.

“They check all the boxes for sure,” he said of Michigan. “Playing for a winning program, of course, it’s an opportunity that’s attractive.”

The Tigers lead on On3’s Recruiting Prediction Machine, but Toviano has kept his recruitment close to the vest. Texas, Texas A&M and Michigan all remain optimistic.

“They think they have the best shot of anyone recruiting me, so that’s kind of cool,” Toviano said of the Wolverines’ staff. “Some schools might be intimidated by me committing in a few days, but they seemed unwavering about it.”

“Michigan and Texas A&M seem deadset on recruiting me down the last minute,” he added.

Toviano is the No. 6 safety in the country, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Justin Wells) Five-star Texas target Anthony Hill Jr. sets decision date

Decision day is approaching for 2023 Denton (Texas) Ryan linebacker and On3 Consensus five-star Anthony Hill Jr. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder will likely make his announcement on Wednesday, December 21st at Ryan High School, sources tell Inside Texas. After his de-commitment from Texas A&M two months ago, Hill has had a flurry of phone calls and messages hit his phone. Alabama, Ohio State, USC, and Oklahoma all pushed to get Hill Jr. back on campus. But he only visited one program since opening back up his recruitment; Texas.

This looks just like his summer decision, which was a showdown between Texas and Texas A&M. The Horns never let up on Hill Jr. and his family, and will now see the elite defender this week. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Choate are expected to do an in-home visit with Hill and his family on Thursday. After that, Hill is looking at two potential final trips to Austin and College Station. He’d like to see both before making his decision, but the exact dates are to be determined.

• Hook 'Em 3

Inside Scoop: Anthony Hill sets date, DeAndre Moore, Ryan Niblett, Justin Benton, Tyler Scott and more

Justin Wells•8 minutes

Article written by:Justin Wells

(Chad Simmons/On3)

Inside Texas digs into the latest recruitments on Anthony Hill Jr, Ryan Niblett, DeAndre Moore, Justin Benton, Tyler Scott, and more in Monday’s Inside Scoop.

Ryan Niblett, , WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower – Texas verbal

Inside Texas spoke with a source Monday morning that spoke with Niblett late Sunday night. The flip is still very much in play. The source told IT that if the On3 Consensus 4-star doesn’t flip before the Wednesday in-home visit, that it’s likely Niblett and family make the December 17 visit to Texas. The source literally said the next 24-48 hours will very likely tell the story of if Niblett ends up at Houston or Texas. 

Dylan Spencer, DL, Houston (Texas) C.E. King – Texas verbal

From what IT was told Sunday night, the ball is in the court of Steve Sarkisian on this one. Spencer did not tell Texas he was making a visit to Houston. And Texas had been by C.E. King High earlier in the week. We expect to hear more from a source on Spencer this afternoon. 

DeAndre Moore, WR, Los Alamitos (Calif.) St John Bosco – Louisville commit

Texas continues to look good with the four-star wideout from the west coast. It appears to be a Texas-Georgia battle at this point, with the Bulldogs still in the mix. 

It’s looking less likely he sticks with the Louisville commitment, especially after the coaching change. Texas had been working on Moore long before that, including hosting him on a pair of visits in 2022. 

Texas wide receivers coach Brennan Marion flew to Southern California Sunday to conduct an in-home with Moore and family with a final decision potentially on the table this week. 

Texas wants to finish the wide receiver portion of the 2023 cycle on a high note. Moore would certainly qualify. 

Ja’Kobi Lane, WR, Mesa (Az.) Red Mountain

The Longhorns continue to have some confidence in this recruitment. IT is not predicting Texas, to be clear. Just that Texas has confidence in the ability to flip the On3 Consensus 4-star. Texas wide receivers coach Brennan Marion is expected in the Phoenix area to see Lane today or Tuesday. 

Anthony Hill Jr, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Texas is starting to make coffee in this recruitment. The UT coaches are finalizing an in-home visit on Thursday, and hoping to get the 6-foot-2, 220-pound On3 Consensus five-star on campus this weekend. 

Despite overtures from Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and USC, this’ll come down to Texas and Texas A&M for the elite defender’s services. 

There’s also a possibility he sees College Station once more, but those plans have yet to be finalized. 

Hill is a culture fit all the way; on Saturday, in the pouring rain, Hill and his trainer were working out, fine-tuning techniques and drills. He wants to be the best and will work to get there, which is why he’s the No. 1 high school prospect remaining on the board for the Horns. 

Jelani McDonald, LB/ATH, Waco (Texas) Connally

McDonald made an official visit to TCU over the weekend, and is scheduled to be at Texas this weekend. From what IT has gathered in the past 72 hours, there wasn’t a lot of confidence on the side of Texas. Obviously, McDonald’s father played at TCU. He was a standout linebacker. 

Justin Benton, DL, Covington (Ga.) Newport – West Virginia commit

Benton finished his official visit to Texas over the weekend, and told IT he really enjoyed the trip. He hung out with Byron Murphy, Zac Swanson, and others, and was able to get a genuine feel for the football program. 

Now it remains to be seen how hard the Horns push here for the 6-foot-0, 280-pound three-star’s services. As of Monday morning, IT doesn’t think Steve Sarkisian has made the strongest of pushes. Arkansas is also strongly in the mix. 

Tyler Scott, DB, Mabelton (Ga.) Pebblebrook

There has been some growing confidence on the Texas side with the recruitment of the 6-foot-2 senior riser cornerback. He’s seeing Texas this weekend instead of Michigan. That’s further illustrates that Texas is ascending with Scott. 

Area recruiter Tashard Choice and defensive backs coach Terry Joseph made an an in-home last week. Choice’s relationship building abilities have Texas in the hunt. 

The Texas staff does have some confidence here, but many in the Southeast Region of the country have been expecting a decision out of Tennessee, Alabama and Auburn. Texas heading to the SEC has helped the chances.

Gerry Hamilton contributed to this article.

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas Longhorns December 17 visit weekend: Early look

Gerry Hamilton•4 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

2023 DB Tyler Scott. (Photo by Jeremy Johnson/On3)

The Texas Longhorns will host a big visit weekend beginning Friday, which will be the last weekend prior to the early signing period.

During the December 17 weekend, Steve Sarkisian and staff will welcome at least four official visitors, and unofficial visitors are expected. That includes commitments, and very likely a top target still on the board.

Inside Texas takes an early look at the big visit weekend with names to be added.

Targets making official visits

The Longhorns have at least three targets remaining on the board scheduled for official visits the last weekend prior to the early signing period.

Cornerback Tyler Scott will make official visit to Texas December 17. The 6-foot-2 Scott is on an official visit to USC this weekend. Tennessee, Alabama and Auburn are tough competition. Tennessee and Auburn both have a high confidence level headed down the stretch. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is scheduled to be in-home Tuesday. Auburnb’s Hugh Freeze later this week as well.

Senior riser EDGE prospect Rylan Kennedy is scheduled to make an official visit this weekend after tripping to texas A&M last weekend. This one could well come down to how hard Texas pushes for the upside edge prospect.

Waco Connally 4-star prospect Jelani McDonald is also scheduled to be in Austin this weekend. The ultra athletic prospect that projects to linebacker long term made an official visit to TCU over the weekend, where his father LaMarcus McDonald was a star linebacker for Gary Patterson. TCU has had the most confidence of late, but the Horned Frogs are also prioritizing the safety position late in the cycle.

Possibly taking official visit

Ka’Morreun Pimpton, TE, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

The 6-foot-6 pass catching tight end prospect made an official visit to LSU over the weekend. Inside Texas waits for confirmation on Pimpton’s December 17 official visit plans, but the Longhorns have some confidence they will get him on campus. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and tight ends coach Jeff Banks made an in-home visit last Thursday.

Anthony Hill and December 17

Inside Texas continues to believe there is a good chance On3 Consensus 5-star linebacker Anthony Hill will be back on campus for a day the final weekend before signing day. IT also believes he could do the same at Texas A&M.

Hill will announce his decision December 21 at Ryan High in Denton.

Texas commitments confirmed for December 17

The majority of Texas commitments are expected to be in Austin the last visit weekend prior to signing day. This is the #AllGasNoBrakes list so far.

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower –*maybe

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Payton Kirkland, IOL/OT, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips – official visit

Connor Stroh, IOL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Jaydon Chatman, OT, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

Dylan Spencer, DL, Houston (Texas) C.E. King – *maybe

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Teague (Texas)

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

Texas commitments still in the playoffs

There will be up to five Texas commitments playing in the 5A and 6A state championship games December 17 that will not be able to take in the big visit weekend.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

Johntay Cook II, WR, DeSoto (Texas)

Tre Wisner, RB, DeSoto (Texas)

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton•4 minutes

GHamilton_On3

The Texas Longhorns will host a big visit weekend beginning Friday, which will be the last weekend prior to the early signing period.

During the December 17 weekend, Steve Sarkisian and staff will welcome at least four official visitors, and unofficial visitors are expected. That includes commitments, and very likely a top target still on the board.

Inside Texas takes an early look at the big visit weekend with names to be added.

The Longhorns have at least three targets remaining on the board scheduled for official visits the last weekend prior to the early signing period.

Cornerback Tyler Scott will make official visit to Texas December 17. The 6-foot-2 Scott is on an official visit to USC this weekend. Tennessee, Alabama and Auburn are tough competition. Tennessee and Auburn both have a high confidence level headed down the stretch. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is scheduled to be in-home Tuesday. Auburnb’s Hugh Freeze later this week as well.

Senior riser EDGE prospect Rylan Kennedy is scheduled to make an official visit this weekend after tripping to texas A&M last weekend. This one could well come down to how hard Texas pushes for the upside edge prospect.

Waco Connally 4-star prospect Jelani McDonald is also scheduled to be in Austin this weekend. The ultra athletic prospect that projects to linebacker long term made an official visit to TCU over the weekend, where his father LaMarcus McDonald was a star linebacker for Gary Patterson. TCU has had the most confidence of late, but the Horned Frogs are also prioritizing the safety position late in the cycle.

The 6-foot-6 pass catching tight end prospect made an official visit to LSU over the weekend. Inside Texas waits for confirmation on Pimpton’s December 17 official visit plans, but the Longhorns have some confidence they will get him on campus. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and tight ends coach Jeff Banks made an in-home visit last Thursday.

Inside Texas continues to believe there is a good chance On3 Consensus 5-star linebacker Anthony Hill will be back on campus for a day the final weekend before signing day. IT also believes he could do the same at Texas A&M.

The majority of Texas commitments are expected to be in Austin the last visit weekend prior to signing day. This is the #AllGasNoBrakes list so far.

There will be up to five Texas commitments playing in the 5A and 6A state championship games December 17 that will not be able to take in the big visit weekend.

No Arch? 

49 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Roach says the Niblett issue is settled

Reveal hidden contents

We reported over the weekend that four-star Aldine Eisenhower wide receiver Ryan Niblett was on an official visit to Houston.

At that time, sources near Niblett felt that the tide was turning quickly and a flip to the Cougars could be coming. In the time since the visit ended, it seems the Longhorns have calmed the waters. A source I spoke with familiar with Niblett's recruitment told Horns247 that the Houston staff was able to gain entry into the recruitment by casting doubt on the amount of playing time Niblett would be able to get at Texas. The Coogs went all in this weekend, but the Longhorns have a stellar relationship with Niblett's family, including his mother and grandmother.

Last night, we began to hear more positive buzz that things were calming down and I was told Niblett spoke with Brennan Marion yesterday evening. The staff followed up today, and two sources I spoke with both made it known that they had eased any concerns and he would be locked in. This is certainly good news for Texas as Niblett is one of the best pure speed threats in the country.

Texas seemed to be out of his recruitment at the beginning of the year, but Marion won him over during the spring and the Longhorns landed him after he visited for the spring game. An All-American Bowl selection, Niblett will come to Austin with legitimate 10.4 speed in the 100 meters. His 247Sports scouting report reads as follows:

"Unverified size but owns the build of a slot receiver or cornerback. Could play either side of the ball, but indications are receiver at this point. Lean and athletic with adequate height based on eye test.

Versatile playmaker for big-school program in Houston metro. Got snaps at a variety of positions as a junior, including QB, receiver, DB, and return man. Scored touchdowns in all three phases.

Shows very good play speed backed by outstanding track and field profile. Sub-11.00 100-meter speed, including a 10.58 as a sophomore. Also owns a 21.5 200 and very good long jump and triple jump numbers.

Dangerous run-after-catch playmaker. Runs with a violent gait but still separates from defenders. Accelerates suddenly and top gear is too fast for almost any opponent he faces.

Raw as a pass catcher and route runner. Throws get into his body sometimes. Significant lack of ideal touches on offense with only 18 combined (nine rush, nine receiving) in 2021.

COMMENTS
Will need to hone craft as a receiver, but an electric athlete with big-play punch on the gridiron and dominant 7-on-7 context. Among the top track and field athletes in the 2023 football class. Projects as a high-major impact player with long-term NFL Draft potential."

At 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, Niblett is ranked as the No. 10 wide receiver in the nation and No. 9 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Lulz of all the positions to negative recruit with playing time

Edited by Bevo14

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton•4 minutes

GHamilton_On3

I think it would be against Anthony Hill's best interests to ever play for Jimbo. He would be constantly injured..

7Gkg.gif

5 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

They said Kirby Smart went in home with Mitchell last week, in case anyone still has any doubts about what kind of player Mitchell is expected to be. 

So you're saying that he's expecting to be an EDGE?? 

/ALL CAPS

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

You'd have a totally different opinion if we were talking about Misty.

Misty opens up is the best start to a story.

image.thumb.png.4812c38a3e31a6bd0220ce4af4a004f7.png

I could totally relate to this scene...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2419cc3139d5bdba8e31d9a1df665214.png

Hand job in the theater in my full battlefield regalia.

• Haha 1

I don't give one fuck what Roach thinks about the Niblett situation, unfortunately. Wake me up when someone from IT provides the same level of assurance. One of them knows the Eisenhower guys well. The family is legitimate destitute, so Texas isn't clueless about solving for that. 

Doesn't sound like Pierce will even visit. 

We're in the phase right now where Sarkisian sees the board in ways folks around him do not, so you tell me what you think. He's been confident and wrong before. He's also had his justifications and been right at times. They really think they're landing the DB from Georgia and Moore, and that Lane can be flipped on signing day or thereabouts. Okay then. He's also being extremely patient with the transfer portal. That's great, if you're not too patient to address needs.

The DE coming in is an in-person sizing up, so who knows how interested they'll be. They did that Benton, who loved the trip, and aren't sure he can be an SEC body. Sarkisian's call, as others would take him. It's a chicken or the egg issue, really. Only Georgia and Bama are signing only NFL bodies. You want to do that? Go win 11+ games with some of those types and mix of others. 

TCU likes other guys more than McDonald, so we're at their mercy coming down the stretch. 

Seems like a lot of other worries with commitments are falling off and the aggie exuberance for regaining Ant Hill was unmerited if he has a good visit to Texas this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1