Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

49 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Shorter DT’s with long arms are problem for OL. If he’s got hands quick enough to win inside position consistently he’s going to be a bitch to move.

Inside position doesn't matter as much now that holding the outside of the shoulder pads is tacitly approved in college football. 

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Payton Kirkland dropped to a composite 3*.  Rivals dropped him a little, but On3 has him basically a mid 3*.

I know Gerry’s been pretty consistent in saying that his physicality level needs to increase and I think he also mentioned his feet. Looks like a million bucks but doesn’t dominate.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Benton on his OV

https://247sports.com/player/justin-benton-46097408/

Wells (IT) describes him as having a 'Byron Murphy like build'.  Not as much of an athlete as Byron is but longer arms (+5 wingspan)

Honestly be worth taking him and Pierce if we can get both 

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Same.  Gerry said that Khris Ross and Bledsoe are only 260 now. They've struggled to add weight.

Rarely does anyone gain weight during season. Let’s see how they look next fall camp. 

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Trap door him. Game’s changed.

Payton seems like someone good for the locker room.  And he's always recruiting for us.

And he seems intelligent enough that he can probably learn what he's taught as a freshman and hopefully have a good sophomore season.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Payton Kirkland dropped to a composite 3*.  Rivals dropped him a little, but On3 has him basically a mid 3*.

Shit we got a top o line coach who likes big guys… and this big guy might be connected to Baxter….lets give Flood a shot!

On 12/7/2022 at 9:40 AM, LTtxfan said:

Whoa Nellie.

This reminds me of a FB video I saw of a co-worker 10 or 11 months back. The guy's 42 years old and did some insane tumbling flipping crazy bullshit that blew my mind. He doesn't appear to be in that great of shape at 5'10" and 260lbs, so I called BS on him...so he did the routine in front of me..on the jobsite..Holy fuck...some people are just Blessed by God. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Whoa Nellie.

This reminds me of a FB video I saw of a co-worker 10 or 11 months back. The guy's 42 years old and did some insane tumbling flipping crazy bullshit that blew my mind. He doesn't appear to be in that great of shape at 5'10" and 260lbs, so I called BS on him...so he did the routine in front of me..on the jobsite..Holy fuck...some people are just Blessed by God. 

You in construction hydraulics?

• Hook 'Em 1

On Ryan Niblett taking a surprised visit to UH per Gerry

Spoiler

Spoke with a source close to the recruitment.

Here are the knowns …

1. Niblett is visiting hometown Houston this weekend.

2. Texas hasn’t backed off Niblett. Or the Texas staff’s actions aren’t that of a staff that is backing off a player

“It’s not Texas backing off because they called asking what’s happening.” the source told IT Sunday morning.

The next steps will be to see how the Texas staff responds in terms of going to Eisenhower early this week. Niblett is scheduled to be in Austin with the majority of commitments December 17.

Edited by PapiShark

7 minutes ago, PapiShark said:

On Ryan Niblett taking a surprised visit to UH per Gerry

Hide contents

Spoke with a source close to the recruitment.

Here are the knowns …

1. Niblett is visiting hometown Houston this weekend.

2. Texas hasn’t backed off Niblett. Or the Texas staff’s actions aren’t that of a staff that is backing off a player

“It’s not Texas backing off because they called asking what’s happening.” the source told IT Sunday morning.

The next steps will be to see how the Texas staff responds in terms of going to Eisenhower early this week. Niblett is scheduled to be in Austin with the majority of commitments December 17.

I think I would take my 5 visits for $10K plus per visit. Why not?

It is like someone offering you $10K to interview for job while your current job is secure. If your job is in sales, you're at least going to tell the other company that it will cost a lot more than $10K for an interview and see what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Per Gerry (IT), WR Ryan Niblett is now on 'Flip Watch'.  Gerry says that Niblett did not inform the Texas staff about the visit and that he told a person close to him that he is indeed considering a 'flip'.

Gerry has DL Dylan Spencer on 'flip watch' as well.  Spencer also failed to inform the Texas staff of his UH visit.  Gerry doesn't know if the Texas staff will work very hard to keep Spencer if he does decide to decommit.   

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per Gerry (IT), WR Ryan Niblett is now on 'Flip Watch'.  Gerry says that Niblett did not inform the Texas staff about the visit and that he told a person close to him that he is indeed considering a 'flip'.

Gerry has DL Dylan Spencer on 'flip watch' as well.  Spencer also failed to inform the Texas staff of his UH visit.  Gerry doesn't know if the Texas staff will work very hard to keep Spencer if he does decide to decommit.   

WR - Kyle Parker, come on down! Good thing staff are still recruiting DeAndre Moore and Jaden Greathouse (even though Greathouse unlikely), too. Maybe Texas goes for more than 1 WR in the portal?

DL - Guess things didn't get smoothed over with Dylan Spencer after his last visit to campus. Oh well, more vacancy for Justin Benton and Roderick Pierce.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

WR - Kyle Parker, come on down! Good thing staff are still recruiting DeAndre Moore and Jaden Greathouse (even though Greathouse unlikely), too. Maybe Texas goes for more than 1 WR in the portal?

DL - Guess things didn't get smoothed over with Dylan Spencer after his last visit to campus. Oh well, more vacancy for Justin Benton and Roderick Pierce.

Things don't sound promising with Parker

Moore Jr and Jakobi Lane seem most likely.

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sark has previously said 9 is his preferred number of scholarship WR's.  We have 6 on campus with the possibility of Whittington returning.  Cook is still committed and Moore is likely to flip.  That would give us 10, plus a WR expected from the portal.  Alexis may medical/portal but I don't see anyone else leaving (maybe Cain takes off after Spring Ball?)

Given Sark's stated desire of a small-ish WR room and the availability of quality WR's in the portal, do 2 WR classes like last year become the standard?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Things don't sound promising with Parker

Moore Jr and Jakobi Lane seem most likely.

I thought the last update Gerry gave, he said that Parker was listening. Although if Moore and Lane materialized, can't really complain.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sark has previously said 9 is his preferred number of scholarship WR's.  We have 6 on campus with the possibility of Whittington returning.  Cook is still committed and Moore is likely to flip.  That would give us 10, plus a WR expected from the portal.  Alexis may medical/portal but I don't see anyone else leaving (maybe Cain takes off after Spring Ball?)

I threw out the more than 1 WR transfer possibility only because Worthy will be a wildcard all the way until the 2023 season commences (it's just the way things are with him) and taking into possible account WR attrition which you referenced in your post. I do believe that least one of Alexis and Cain leave and if Sarkisian decides to carry 10-11 WRs into spring ball, then it pretty much guarantees WR attrition before next season. 

IT on WR recruiting

Spoiler

The Ryan Niblett visit to the University of Houston this weekend was the dopamine the reactionaries needed on an already gloomy Sunday morning. But as is often the case, the pessimism stems from lack of perspective and patience. This time last year Kyle Flood was catching stray bullets from the fanbase before finalizing one of the best offensive line classes of all time.

Recruiting has changed and if you’re going to follow recruiting closely you should adapt your mindset to the new realities of roster management. Where as immediate help used to come from in-house development or a true freshman, now immediate help can come from those two but also proven transfers who are no longer required to sit a year. It changes the way staffs think about addressing needs. It shrinks the high school big board.

Currently Texas has talent on its roster and in its recruiting class but what was the one thing it lacked for much of the season? Consistency and reliability. What’s the best way to address that? Yes, the portal.

The portal is going to figure into next season and right now the best potential options have not decided whether they’re going to enter. With the portal somewhat on hold let’s focus on high school recruiting.

Texas has two commitments, Johntay Cook and the aforementioned Ryan Niblett. Cook is one of the best, college-ready receivers in the country and Niblett is one of the best athletes, though he’s entertaining a flip to hometown U of H. 

The staff would like to add two more while holding on to Niblett.

Here’s a list of the main 2023 targets this cycle. We’ll offer a brief description on how their recruitment played, or is playing out. 

Jalen Hale: Texas pulled back significantly at the very end of this recruitment. Maybe they wouldn’t have won it anyways but they decided not to compete through the finish line.

Jaquiaze Pettaway: There was no overcoming mom on this one. She had some interesting reasons, but that’s not to say they were justified. Pettaway had the freedom of a 5–year old at an alligator farm on his visit and we knew Texas was out of it at that point. It would be disingenuous to fault Steve Sarkisian or Brennan Marion here.

Jalen Brown: Talented Miami kid who fits the Sark profile but he had his eyes set on LSU relatively early. Texas probably could have made this a little more interesting but it’s doubtful they were going to land him. LSU overcame Miami….somehow.

Jonah Wilson: He flipped from Texas to U of H but the staff was indifferent. Why? Because they could go to the portal right now and find five players similar to him.

Ashton Cozart: He had OU on the brain but then flipped to Oregon. Texas offered early but more as a placeholder to get in line.

Jaden Greathouse: I don’t think they ever really knew what to think of him other than he’s a good player. He doesn’t fit the Sark mold necessarily, but he’s not really a tight end.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot: Yet another example of UT backing off. I’ll be interested to see how that decision plays out but it’s not like he was a priority they missed on.

Kyle Parker: He likely would have been a Horn if they pressed but Sark’s evaluation took him in a different direction.

DeAndre Moore: The fact Sark is pursuing him at this juncture illustrates how big of a fan he is of Moore. 

Ja’Kobi Lane: The Arizona product is a huge priority. Texas is all in. That alone makes this recruitment different from pretty much every other one at the position save Johntay Cook.

Texas has two commits, two openings, and two targets. In addition, due to the portal, they don’t feel the need to reach on someone down the board. They can stick to their guns which naturally leads to processes taking longer to unfold.

Reminder: You cannot separate portal recruiting from high school when it comes to roster building. With that in mind, wide receiver recruiting is going just fine and with a little more time it should be going great.

• Hook 'Em 7

I know a lot of people get lost in the 100m track times but I'm not a fan of the tiny guys we've been taking. Not saying we should go full Tom Herman/Bobby Kennedy at the position. But I prefer the 6' to 6'2 guys who can still run....may not be sub 10.5 but like 10.8 10.7 type with larger catch radius and aren't easily knocked off routes.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I know a lot of people get lost in the 100m track times but I'm not a fan of the tiny guys we've been taking. Not saying we should go full Tom Herman/Bobby Kennedy at the position.

Which I’m assuming is why they are trying to add someone like Lane to the room. 

They seemed to be on the right path earlier this year with Cook, Niblett and Wilson in the boat. Cook is a complete receiver who is pretty much ready to go, Niblett more raw with amazing speed and Wilson was more of a bigger body possession guy with good ball skills. Those 3 complemented each other fairly well. Maybe that bigger body guy ends up coming from the portal or Neyor coming back or both.

Edited by Hookem2147