Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Clicking on that link, it’s hilarious how every CFB message board reads virtually the same except around the margins. Player X isn’t coming here because School Y paid him more than we thought he was worth. Doesn’t make sense why he would go there when we have [open depth chart/winning tradition]. We’ll get him in the portal next year. We don’t need him because the coaches are so high on [significantly less talented recruit]. On and on

Except us. We basically pick nits, look for flaws and then doom and gloom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I know she's been on our side in this UH kerfuffle, but someone needs to get Mom a Texas shirt stat.

Texas degree is much closer to Stanford than Cougar High and mom knows that. If their current situation is as described, she wasn't going to let cold feet keep her son from getting a degree that will set him up for life.  Hook 'em

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Texas degree is much closer to Stanford than Cougar High and mom knows that. If their current situation is as described, she wasn't going to let cold feet keep her son from getting a degree that will set him up for life.  Hook 'em

As long as he doesn't get one of those useless McCombs business degrees right? ducks 

• Haha 6

Bobby Burton: The close to a recruiting cycle is vitally important

It’s always important to pay attention to the closing days of a recruiting cycle or signing period. Seemingly small moves can have a big impact, as when a little known three-star linebacker from Frisco (Texas) Lone Star that many Longhorn recruiting fans had never heard of switched his pledge from Utah to the Longhorns. Thanks Jaylan Ford.

Or like when lightly regarded Zach Shackleford switched his commitment from Kansas State to Texas and then started for four years at center for the Longhorns. Or when an Irving (Texas) Nimitz three-star defensive back named Michael Huff bailed on Purdue. Last-minute changes happen all the time. And that’s why it’s important that coaches stay diligent throughout the process.

This week we’re tracking Ka’Morreun Pimpton, the Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley tight end currently committed to Vanderbilt. But he’s not alone. Wake Forest transfer Gavin Holmes will also be on campus this weekend. He’s far from a big-name player but he could eventually have a big impact for the Horns next year.

Of course, it’s not only the innocuous recruitments we’re paying attention to. Five-star Denton (Texas) Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill is taking his pledge down to the wire. He’ll pick either Texas or Texas A&M. The Horns started the recruiting campaign strong. Now they need to finish it likewise, because every little move can matter more than you might think.

Texas early enrollees

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

Johntay Cook II, WR, DeSoto (Texas)

Connor Stroh, IOL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Andre Cojoe, IOL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview

Payton Kirkland, OT/IOL, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips

Jaydon Chatman, IOL, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Derion Gullette, EDGE/LB, Teague (Texas)

Liona Lefau, LB, Kahuku (Hawaii)

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

“Don’t need him if he wants NIL, would rather have Boutte who’s here for the love of gol darn LSU and ain’t just sticking around a top 10 NIL deal in the country”

”They’re usin that Ivy dwarfing endowment to steal our talent”

LOL, and I saw on a list earlier last week that Boutte made something like 1.5 Mil in NIL? He was tied with Quinn and Bijan. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT says they expect Dylan Spencer to flip to Houston before NSD1.   His visit to Houston was not well-received by the Texas staff.  A coach stopped by Spencer's high school this week and they will not be trying to 'fight the flip'.

If you're as talented as Niblett, you can get away with shit like that. Shows you what they think of Spencer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I watched Toviano’s commitment ceremony with Rivals about 5-10 minutes after the livestream was done. For a minute there, I thought Toviano was gonna do the unexpected & pick UT. But he ended up choosing LSU as expected. It was obvious watching Toviano talking about his finalists, that UT was his 2nd choice & Aggy was just a hat on the table.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I watched Toviano’s commitment ceremony with Rivals about 5-10 minutes after the livestream was done. For a minute there, I thought Toviano was gonna do the unexpected & pick UT. But he ended up choosing LSU as expected. It was obvious watching Toviano talking about his finalists, that UT was his 2nd choice & Aggy was just a hat on the table.

He came off pretty well as far as those things go. Seems like a smart kid. 

Had some nice things to say about the Texas staff. When he got to A&M it was more about, “well, I wanted to stay close to home and they are close to home.”

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If you're as talented as Niblett, you can get away with shit like that. Shows you what they think of Spencer.

Especially when you consider Texas is a bit light on the interior. Mitchel would be the only DT in the class. Texas took Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson, and Bryant last year, but Bledsoe and Ross have had issues adding weight. Ross has actually shed weight. It isnt looking like either will end up at DT, though things could change. Taking 3 DTs in 2 years will leave a mark, if they dont hit on all of them. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Especially when you consider Texas is a bit light on the interior. Mitchel would be the only DT in the class. Texas took Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson, and Bryant last year, but Bledsoe and Ross have had issues adding weight. Ross has actually shed weight. It isnt looking like either will end up at DT, though things could change. Taking 3 DTs in 2 years will leave a mark, if they dont hit on all of them. 

You guys put too much weight on that kind of shit from IT. They are size whores who overreact to singular throwaway data points from staff. They're also position switch whores and you guys fall for that too often as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT says they expect Dylan Spencer to flip to Houston before NSD1.   His visit to Houston was not well-received by the Texas staff.  A coach stopped by Spencer's high school this week and they will not be trying to 'fight the flip'.

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

While I’d rather keep all 3 commits that visited UH last weekend. If UT has to lose 1 of them, Spencer is the 1 that gotta go.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Given that LSU has pretty firmly grabbed the "DBU" title in the popular imagination, might be time to rebrand UT as RBU

It goes in cycles I remember at one point it was Colorado as DBU, then Texas came, then Florida now LSU.  Who knows who it’ll be next 

Edited by D3zii

I’m fine with punting on a 3-tech DT and riding with someone who can play over the ball in Mitchell, but they need to hope that at least two of Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson and Bryant (who might be more of NT) pan out inside.

I would definitely be looking towards the portal to add a body. Not so much for this upcoming year but looking ahead to the year after. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys put too much weight on that kind of shit from IT. They are size whores who overreact to singular throwaway data points from staff. They're also position switch whores and you guys fall for that too often as well. 

I hope that is true. Both listed around 260 on the roster. I am hoping that is outdated. Though I think Bledsoe has the athleticism to play outside, based on my brief viewing in the first game. 

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m fine with punting on a 3-tech DT and riding with someone who can play over the ball in Mitchell, but they need to hope that at least two of Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson and Bryant (who might be more of NT) pan out inside.

I would definitely be looking towards the portal to add a body. Not so much for this upcoming year but looking ahead to the year after. 

Yeah it's not a problem next year, but after thay when Sweat and Collins are gone it could be.