Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We could definitely use another big body on the dline and probably another corner, but there really isn’t much to complain about.

Also, the Choater is fucking killing it after half the board wanted him gone after year 1. 

Hard not to love what we've done this year at QB, RB, and LB.

Also really like what we've got at DE, especially if there's something to the Akana smoke.

Agree with you on DB and DL. Mitchell is a badass but we need another body there. Same for the DBs - got two great ones but a 2 man DB class in this day and age is very small.

I feel the same way about WR personally. Maybe we get Moore, I haven't followed what's going on there.

TE is whatever.

The big question mark for me is OL. Maybe I'm riding the high of last year's class, and clearly it was a bit of a down year in state, but it's not an overly exciting class IMO. On the other hand, seems like Flood went out and got his first choice guys and his track record is fairly decent I guess.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The more notice Fawcett has to make an edit, the worse it is. Truly abysmal stuff. I half expect it to sparkle like the gifs your mom posts on facebook 

Sheeeeeit, I thought that was one of our boy's better efforts. Giant Lambos don't do it for you? My only issue are the big ass blurry stars that exist for no reason whatsoever.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The big question mark for me is OL. Maybe I'm riding the high of last year's class, and clearly it was a bit of a down year in state, but it's not an overly exciting class IMO.

I think this has been discussed, but I love what we did from a roster management standpoint on OL. Keeping the numbers up and using them on high ceiling guys with longer developmental timelines is perfect after what we did there in the 2022 class. 

Obviously you take a class full of Banks’ every year if you can, but that’s not always going to be an option. So to see us go about filling the OL class in a thoughtful and logical way is really encouraging. 

Edited by UncleSonny
CTJ beat me to it, but basically what he said
  • Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I assume you’re just basing this off of recruit rankings, but they’re generally pretty terrible at rating OL. It’s easy to rate physical freaks. like Banks and Campbell, as 5 stars, but after that they’re terrible at projecting guys.

Flood hasn’t done anything to make me question his OL evaluating and development skills. I like all of our takes as long term developmental guys and none of them will need to play year 1. Most of them probably won’t even play year 2. 

Great point about OL rankings. I haven’t seen a study on it, but it’s my view that the group the $9.95ers most consistently misrank by a wide margin is OL. Sure, you get the freaks right, but there are 3 star guys starting for blue bloods and getting drafted in larger numbers than any other spot. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For OL, they wanted the raw materials that needed development. They got that. The OL guys know they’re several years from starting and need the work in the program. They have enough guys ahead of them that think they should be starting or are starting. 

There is some serious action coming from the portal at WR and DB in terms of starting power, if you want to believe that kind of thing. 

Amitabh bachchan bollywood GIF - Find on GIFER

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Great point about OL rankings. I haven’t seen a study on it, but it’s my view that the group the $9.95ers most consistently misrank by a wide margin is OL. Sure, you get the freaks right, but there are 3 star guys starting for blue bloods and getting drafted in larger numbers than any other spot. 

Your thoughts on the Akana note this morning? You had been pretty down on him even when Texas seemed to be pushing more per the 9.95 crews.

27 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Agree with you on DB and DL. Mitchell is a badass but we need another body there. Same for the DBs - got two great ones but a 2 man DB class in this day and age is very small.

Whomever takes Ojomos' spot will likely be better. We have plenty of Depth at interior DL. IMHO they should be very picky about who they add at interior DL. DB I agree with, need more quality depth and or starter from the portal. Williams is huge at safety though.

Edited by Longhornlove

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Would this be a reasonable expectation for a finish?

WR DeAndre Moore

TE Ka'Morreun Pimpton

EDGE Tausili Akana

TBD Portal DB

Signing day surprise +1 (Scott?)

Signing day surprise -1 (Spencer?)

If you’re including portal guys in that, then you need to add more spots for portals. 

The Akana stuff is interesting and timely. His sister and Texas Volleyball are playing for a National Championship on Saturday. She was in the top 3 in kills for the tourney before the Pitt/UL game last night. Would be pretty easy to get caught up in the school spirit...

Likely been discussed here, but I was not aware that Duce Robinson was an FSU legacy, son of 5 star Dominic Robinson. I read a "where are they now" piece where Dominic talks about living in Dallas for awhile and his kids playing basketball/baseball with Shadeur Sanders. He also tried to get into the trainer game there, so at least the family has a lot more Texas connections than I thought. 

Other fun note, he helped Daryl Dickey coach WRs at UWG and they both loved Bowden. No wonder Duce never visited or showed interest in Jimbo

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, salonghorn said:

What happened to Harrison-Pilot? Had a great year with Temple. He just had a TCU home visit. Gid we cool on him or did he cool on us?

I think the former, if I remember correctly we were only willing to take one of him and Hale and we struck out on Hale. Not 100% on that so someone please correct me if that's wrong 

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. Literally everything about this post is wrong. We don’t have good IDL depth with a lot of last year’s takes being questionable if they can play inside, and we don’t have anyone on the roster right now who is better than Ojomo at his spot. Collins could be next year if he takes a big step forward over the offseason, but that’s a big if based on his history here. 

I know some thought we’d pass on him once we got Hill, but I really hope we go full out on him. He’ll be one of those guys who turns into an all-conference player at TCU in 2-3 years.   He’s got a ton of positional versatility and it wouldn’t shock me if he turned out to be better than Hill by the end of his college career. 

Same.  Put him in the weight room and see what you have in 18months.  Remember he is a state champ triple jumper. The kid is super explosive.  That's the type of clay you want a chance to mold. Maybe he won't amount to much or maybe he turns into the kind of back 7 athlete everyone needs.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

What happened to Harrison-Pilot? Had a great year with Temple. He just had a TCU home visit. Did we cool on him or did he cool on us?

10 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I think the former, if I remember correctly we were only willing to take one of him and Hale and we struck out on Hale. Not 100% on that so someone please correct me if that's wrong 

I think we somewhat liked him at WR but really liked him at safety, and he's set on wanting to start his college career at WR. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Would this be a reasonable expectation for a finish?

WR DeAndre Moore

TE Ka'Morreun Pimpton

EDGE Tausili Akana

TBD Portal DB

Signing day surprise +1 (Scott?)

Signing day surprise -1 (Spencer?)

Way way way too light on portal. For HS I’d say Moore, Pimpton, McDonald, Scott and someone a bit out of left field like Parker or an IDL

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I assume you’re just basing this off of recruit rankings, but they’re generally pretty terrible at rating OL. It’s easy to rate physical freaks. like Banks and Campbell, as 5 stars, but after that they’re terrible at projecting guys.

Flood hasn’t done anything to make me question his OL evaluating and development skills. I like all of our takes as long term developmental guys and none of them will need to play year 1. Most of them probably won’t even play year 2. 

I'll admit that rankings is some of it. Obviously there wasn't a Banks or Campbell in Texas this year (which makes signing them last that much sweeter). I wouldn't have minded if they had picked one OOS 5-star to really zero in on and press for. Maybe that's just not realistic.

The thing that's really had me thinking about it though is how we haven't been sweating any of the OL down the stretch. So many other guys in our class have been getting pitched hard by other schools. Just off the top of my head, we've had to worry to varying degrees about Baxter, Cook, Muhammad, Williams, Niblett, Mitchell, Burrell, and Spencer. The only OL stuff I remember is Cojoe's visit to TCU, and even at that time there was speculation that we were basically letting him go. I dunno, maybe the OL are all just 100% locked in.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We could definitely use another big body on the dline and probably another corner, but there really isn’t much to complain about.

Also, the Choater is fucking killing it after half the board wanted him gone after year 1. 

Yep. I apologize to Coach Choate. Outside of RB, LB play as incredible this year and the recruiting is off the charts.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

For OL, they wanted the raw materials that needed development. They got that. The OL guys know they’re several years from starting and need the work in the program. They have enough guys ahead of them that think they should be starting or are starting. 

There is some serious action coming from the portal at WR and DB in terms of starting power, if you want to believe that kind of thing. 

I'm ready for more juicy Steve Sarkclosedagain action!

Edited by SimkinsMan
  • Haha 3

We wandered the wilderness in OL recruiting for almost 2 decades.  For the first time in a long time, we have a proven OL coach that can develop.  Dude coached in the NFL, at elite college football programs and has shown results everywhere he has been.  Add in the fact that we have an exciting offensive scheme and these guys get to block for elite QBs and skill players.  We’re going to be the destination spot for OL moving forward and we’ll be cherry picking more than recruiting especially if Flood gets the 2022 OL class drafted.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

We wandered the wilderness in OL recruiting for almost 2 decades.  For the first time in a long time, we have a proven OL coach that can develop.  Dude coached in the NFL, at elite college football programs and has shown results everywhere he has been.  Add in the fact that we have an exciting offensive scheme and these guys get to block for elite QBs and skill players.  We’re going to be the destination spot for OL moving forward and we’ll be cherry picking more than recruiting especially if Flood gets the 2022 OL class drafted.

We wandered in the wilderness on QB recruiting for almost 15 years, as well.

Things are looking up!

51 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

She was in the top 3 in kills for the tourney before the Pitt/UL game last night. Would be pretty easy to get caught up in the school spirit...

She was top 3 in Service Aces, not Kills.  0 Kills, 9 Aces so far in the tournament.

He had to be at the game and in the UT section though, yeah?

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Mittens said:

She was top 3 in Service Aces, not Kills.  0 Kills, 9 Aces so far in the tournament.

He had to be at the game and in the UT section though, yeah?

There it is, thanks for the clarification. 

Would have to be in Omaha. His season finished in November, so it's possible he could have been at some of the regional games, too. Saw a big contingent of football players courtside in the final. I bet he's been here a lot more than has been reported. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif