Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

If there are real concerns about Spencer’s motor, I’m less concerned about the loss. Motor is my hot button criteria for a player, because if you don’t have high motor, it’s extremely hard to get it. And without a high motor, a player really isn’t impactful enough. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I think it’s pretty obvious the Texas staff told Spencer to scram after he smuggled himself into the Top Secret Coug High Big Recruiting Weekend. 

He’s a case study on how to screw up a committable Texas offer. 

Yeah, I think if he stayed an enthusiastic commit, the staff probably would’ve kept him, but they weren’t going to chase him and seems like he wanted to be chased.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I don't think Spencer's getting processed. This is Spencer's own doing. Just looking at Spencer's size/frame/length + his production on the field as a senior, he's still a take.

I think this is like dating a 7. You are happy to go over and continue to bang her, but as soon as she becomes a pain in the ass it is time to walk away

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

If there are real concerns about Spencer’s motor, I’m less concerned about the loss. Motor is my hot button criteria for a player, because if you don’t have high motor, it’s extremely hard to get it. And without a high motor, a player really isn’t impactful enough. 

generally I agree but I also remember that was the concern with Shaun Rogers in high school and he did fine in college and the pros. Anyway, I agree with you but just commenting that there are exceptions especially when the only evidence we have is hearsay. 

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

generally I agree but I also remember that was the concern with Shaun Rogers in high school and he did fine in college and the pros. Anyway, I agree with you but just commenting that there are exceptions especially when the only evidence we have is hearsay. 

Rogers was a great talent that was being tripled teamed and had smaller kids going for his knees on every play. A little different exception. Motor is usually a keyword that is used by bad $9.95 scouts nowadays. A kid is either talented or not. And either has an attitude or doesn’t. I think Gerry is usually the exception in the $9.95 group because he gets to the attitude issue. 

As someone noted above, it really is for the coaches to decide if the talent is worth the attitude and it seems like that it isn’t the case with Spencer. 

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Saw this posted on another board

According to TFB, apparently Trey Wisner recently took a trip to Lubbock. They say Wisner might not be so happy with his standing in the class and has a different view of his role at UT. They say Texas may be looking elsewhere.

No surprise there. Wisner is actually playing pretty well in this state title game right now though.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

According to TFB, apparently Trey Wisner recently took a trip to Lubbock. They say Wisner might not be so happy with his standing in the class and has a different view of his role at UT. They say Texas may be looking elsewhere.

Need to be. Dude got beat out by a sophomore 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So this game is showing this to be bull shit right?  He’s being used exactly as we probably told him we’d use him.