Ro Jo should starts

Zavala

• 1 month later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36091678/2023-nfl-draft-buzz-rumors-latest-news-no-1-pick-qbs-prospects-risers-pro-day-stars-sleeper-picks

Name a Day 3 prospect who is getting buzz from scouts and evaluators.

251.png&h=110&w=110

Reid: Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas. Even though he was No. 2 running back at Texas behind Bijan Robinson, Johnson caught the eye of scouts. He carried the ball only 93 times last season but averaged six yards per tote. And while he lacks an A-level trait, he's very well-rounded. Johnson is a natural tackle-breaker who runs with power and vision, and he has also contributed on special teams, which is repeatedly brought up by scouts on what separates him from the rest of a deep running back class. The most common projection for Johnson from people in the league is the third or fourth round.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What Gerry was saying this morning is potential second round selection.

Hope Gerry is right, but he's been on a terrible run of wrong information lately. 

Based on a lot of NFL Draft stuff that I have followed, RoJo's best case projections have been 3rd Rd.

BAD MUTHA FUCKR !!! 🤘

84e3402e39e06f5e1eb9573cd585bbb6.jpg

Sounds like RoJo is getting a lot of hype right now. Potentially could be a day 2 pick.
Fantastic if it happens, but I would be happy with 3rd round. That's still some serious scratch for a RB that was never the featured tailback in college...but could have been at several other P5 schools.

Really hope RoJo gets drafted on Day 2 🤘

-----------------------------------------------

When is the NFL draft 2023? 

Day 1:  The 1st Rd will begin at 8 p.m. EST on Thursday, April 27.

Day 2:  The 2nd and 3rd Rd will be held Friday, April 28, beginning at 7 p.m. EST.

Day 3:  Rd 4 through Rd 7 will be held Saturday, April 29, beginning at noon EST. 

• 2 weeks later...

The KC Chief's beat writer at the Athletic thinks the Chiefs will take RoJo in the 3rd round.

Round 3 (No. 95): Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas (6-0, 219)

We’re at the point in the draft where I wanted to find a blend of “best player available” and “proper depth” for this selection. I think Johnson is a pretty safe pick, a player who will be ready to contribute in a supporting role to starter Isiah Pacheco.

“A stout, good-sized runner, Johnson is a two-way creator with his lateral cuts to elude tacklers and the forward momentum to power through contact,” Brugler said of Johnson, who is the 91st-ranked prospect. “With his football character and ability on special teams and as a blocker, his impact without the football is almost as impressive as his ability with the ball. He should immediately upgrade an NFL team’s running back rotation and be a core special teamer.”

They have had pretty good success with UT RBs and defenders over the years. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Roschon is one of my all-time favorite players🤘

"The Bears drafted a Texas running back — but not Bijan Robinson."

Texas’ Roschon Johnson is a ‘god’ — but can he play RB for the Bears?

By  Patrick Finley  Updated Apr 29, 2023

The best running back in this draft — or any draft in the last five years — extolled the virtues of his college backup, Roschon Johnson, at the NFL Scouting Combine in March.  “Roschon is a god,” Texas’ Bijan Robinson said then.

Robinson, who was drafted eighth overall Thursday night, called Johnson the best teammate he ever had.

He brings out so much in a player and the team just with how he goes about being a leader,” Robinson said. “Not just his teammates but everybody in the community. . . . His toughness and heart make him stand out over everybody.”

The Bears didn’t go as far as Robinson did when explaining why they drafted Johnson in Round 4 on Saturday — but they came close. Bears Southwest area scout John Syty said he had never written such a positive evaluation of a player’s character.

“This human being is wired differently,” Syty said Saturday. “The more time you spend around him, the more you realize that you are probably the one who has things you need to work on, not him. . . .

“He’s someone we really feel compelled can become a pillar of this organization for a really long time.”

The Bears picked Johnson at No. 115 overall after trading the first pick of Round 4 to the Saints. They got No. 165 for their troubles, recouping a pick one day after dealing a fifth-rounder to move up and draft Miami cornerback Tyrique Stevenson.

“[Johnson] is a guy I was shocked was still on the board,” general manager Ryan Poles said.

He has one of the most bizarre résumés in the draft. Johnson was recruited to play quarterback but moved to running back a week before his freshman season opener. In the era of name, image and likeness payments, he could have gone elsewhere once Robinson arrived. He didn’t.

My motive wasn’t really for money,” he said.

He started only five games in college thanks to Robinson, the all-world running back who spent the last three years at Texas. Johnson was an honorable mention All-Big 12 player last season nonetheless, averaging six yards per carry and playing on every kick unit. The Bears considered him one of the draft’s best special-teams players.

I never really viewed myself as, like, a backup,” said Johnson, who was worked out by Bears running backs coach David Walker at his pro day in March. “Regardless of who was getting the carries, I tried to prepare myself as if I was the starter. I didn’t really let the perspective of me being a backup have an effect on me. . . .

I just kinda flipped my perspective, and I think it paid off.”

He’s no scrawny underdog, though. At 6 feet and 219 pounds, Johnson is a physical runner and a willing pass-blocker. He forced missed tackles on 45% of his runs the last two years, according to Pro Football Focus, which led all running backs with at least 190 carries.

“Fits this division to a T,” Syty said. “Powerful. Physical.”

As an added bonus, he comes to the Bears with little tread on his tires. He ran 269 times the last three years. David Montgomery, by contrast, ran 624 times in the three years before the Bears drafted him in Round 3 in 2019.

The Bears envision Johnson contributing to a backfield that already features bruising veteran D’Onta Foreman and home-run hitter Khalil Herbert. He could even function as a quarterback in the Wildcat formation, given his history.

“I think he increases the competition in the running back room,” Poles said. “But the cool thing about it is if you watch Texas tape, he does a lot. He pass-protects really well. That stands out. He’s done some quarterback stuff. He came out of high school as a quarterback. So this is going to allow our offensive staff to maybe do some really cool things with him and keep a defense on its toes.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023/4/29/23704338/bears-draft-2023-roschon-johnson-round-4-texas-longhorns-bijan-robinson-trade-ryan-poles-day-three

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I think the Cowboys will regret not taking RoJo in the 3rd Rd for his pass protection skills alone -- no other RB in this draft protects the QB as well as RoJo...   

Bears got a great player and great man !! 🤘

They did get Deuce Vaughn who is probably gonna be pretty good too 

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am hoping RoJo has a nice, fruitful career that doesn’t result in any brain trauma, then returns to UT in some capacity until he doesn’t want to anymore.

Gerry Hamilton has mentioned multiple times that RoJo seems like a guy who might end up in management in the NFL -- worked out well for Ozzie Newsome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gerry Hamilton has mentioned multiple times that RoJo seems like a guy who might end up in management in the NFL -- worked out well for Ozzie Newsome.

If that’s what he wants and does, I hope him the best. I’m being a bit selfish though, I think he can be a game changing role model at our university and hope he comes back to us. But bottom line, I want all the success and happiness he can get.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

But is he starting?

Bears’ ‘Under the Radar’ Rookie Poised for Breakout NFL Debut

“Johnson was the backup to [Bijan] Robinson at Texas, so he didn’t get a ton of carries, but he’s a three-down back with power at 6-foot-2, 223 pounds. He is also a fantastic pass-catcher and blocker in the backfield. In a crowded Chicago running back room, Johnson might not be the Week 1 starter, but he could easily be getting the most carries by midseason.” 

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/roschon-johnson-khalil-herbert-tyrique-stevenson/

• Hook 'Em 8

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...