Texas opens as a 7 point favorite v Oklahoma State

TexasMan

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's not redshirting.

13 minutes ago, Eggo said:

That shirt is as good as gone for this year. 

Optimistically, he could redshirt next year since Sam and Casey will still be QB1 and QB2, but I wouldn't count on it. 

Too soon to give up on him at QB.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Too soon to give up on him at QB.

I don't think anyone is giving up on him, but even with Ingram, Whittington, and Young all healthy, I still think RJ is probably 2nd or 3rd best RB. We will need him to help us win games this year. 

7 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I don't think anyone is giving up on him, but even with Ingram, Whittington, and Young all healthy, I still think RJ is probably 2nd or 3rd best RB. We will need him to help us win games this year. 

True. I'm not confident on Whittington being able to contribute much this season and would prefer him to heal up completely rather than hurrying him back into action. I think next season should be good with Ingram, Robinson, and Jordan toting the rock.

44 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

True. I'm not confident on Whittington being able to contribute much this season and would prefer him to heal up completely rather than hurrying him back into action. I think next season should be good with Ingram, Robinson, and Jordan toting the rock.

You forgot Whittington and Young for next year. I think the staff will give RoJo the spring at QB and see how he develops.

the three you listed plus Young and Whittington is thankfully a solid enough RB room to not need RoJo there in the offseason.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You forgot Whittington and Young for next year. I think the staff will give RoJo the spring at QB and see how he develops.

the three you listed plus Young and Whittington is thankfully a solid enough RB room to not need RoJo there in the offseason.

Whittington will likely go back to wr with burt, duvernay, Johnson, all being seniors.  coin flip at this point as to whether moore plays again for us or not.

5 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

Whittington will likely go back to wr with burt, duvernay, Johnson, all being seniors.  coin flip at this point as to whether moore plays again for us or not.

Doubtful. He’s a better RB than WR and we’re still deep at WR even with all those guys leaving.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Doubtful. He’s a better RB than WR and we’re still deep at WR even with all those guys leaving.

Debatable. He’s really good at both which is a good problem to have. We’ll see what happens with D. Brown next year but we could potentially be really deep at RB without Whittington at the position. Not to mention Roschon who for all we know might be a way better college RB than QB.

Edited by thepop
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh I'm not sure how you can really say that. His high school QB has gone on to play baseball at Cisco community college. What makes you certain he wouldn't be a better WR catching balls from one of the best in the nation? 

49 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

While I was on the treadmill today, I unfortunately was forced to watch the last 5 minutes of last year's OSU game on ESPNU. He was definitely embarrassing and hard to root for at times.

Running into oncoming traffic would have been preferable. 

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Agreed, If RoJo continues this pace he's on and his contribution is as good as its been, I think the prudent thing is rest and rehab Whitt for as long as we can.  There's no rush and if he RS this year as a result, then we're all the more set for years to come.  I love Whitt, but rushing him back from surgery, given that he is a true FR doesnt seem the wisest thing to do.

Now that RoJo is getting acclimated to game speed at this level, it cant but help him develop at QB.  I know Casey saw limited time, but I was not impressed with him.

8 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Now that RoJo is getting acclimated to game speed at this level, it cant but help him develop at QB.  I know Casey saw limited time, but I was not impressed with him.

The really noticeable for me when Casey's getting run is that difference between the starting and second- and third-string OL. None of our plays develop as smoothly and it always feels like something basic goes wrong.

6 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

While I was on the treadmill today, I unfortunately was forced to watch the last 5 minutes of last year's OSU game on ESPNU. He was definitely embarrassing and hard to root for at times.

No opinion on Hagar....but, I disagree with you being on the treadmill.  Do some 5X5 deadlifts instead.   No growth in the comfort zone.

Edited by Doze

On 9/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, Machinator said:

(Scipio Tex) Oklahoma State Cowboys Football Preview

Hide contents

I don't need to sell y'all on the importance of winning this Big 12 home opener against a dangerous Cowboy football team with a first rate offense and some really good offensive coaches. Though Texas leads the overall series 24-9, Texas hasn't won since 2014 and the Cowboys have won a remarkable 7 out of their last 9. By the way, that 2014 Texas win was when Mike Gundy was saddled with Dax Garman as his starting QB. I won't get into the 2015 loss in Austin as I'm not Blame It On The Refs Guy, but I'm getting pissed off just thinking about it and I'm white knuckling and about to punch an object really, really hard.

But I did notice this...did you see that the NFL officials blew another Saints-Rams call last Sunday? A ref whistled a play dead that would have been a 89 yard Saints fumble recovery TD by Cam Jordan despite specific preseason instructions from the league to stop whistling plays dead and just let replay sort it out. Who was that ref that decided to take charge and impose his will on the game? Walt Anderson. Former Big 12 head of officials. Yes, that Walt Anderson. Who reviewed that famous 2015 Texas-OSU Vegas parlay game and pronounced that it was pretty well officiated overall. In the postgame press conference, Saint DL Cam Jordan called Walt Anderson a FootLocker employee.

If the shoe fits, Walt.

Cowboy Offense

Okie State has a loaded offense and while a schedule of Oregon State, McNeese and Tulsa isn't so daunting, 49 points per game is real and Oklahoma State hasn't unloaded all of their schematic barrels yet. They're waiting on bigger game - like Longhorns. New OC Sean Gleeson is the latest Gundy wunderkind (Yurcich got money-whipped to Ohio State) and the former Princeton OC is a creative coach with a real knack for scheming up the running game and finding favorable one-shot looks in the passing game. There are some broad Harsin parallels in how he uses formation to suggest one thing, mess up D assignments, and do something entirely unexpected, but Gleeson gets there differently. Gundy has a terrific nose for young coaching talent and a lot of that has to do with his trust in himself over perception (most Texas fans would tantrum if Herman hired Div III coordinators or Ivy Leaguers) and the fact that he knows exactly what good looks like on the offensive side of the ball.

The fact that Gleeson looks 14 years old only adds to his mystique as Sean McVay/Joe Brady young offensive guru hiring practices only increase the appeal of 19 year old offensive coordinators who have repped out millions of scenarios on their Madden Football set-up.

Hey, the same technologies revolutionized poker.

RB Chuba Hubbard is the best RB in the Big 12 and among the best in the country. He's the #1 leading rusher in FBS and has notched a pair of 200+ yard games already. He has finishing speed, will run inside with abandon despite a medium frame, has terrific cutback ability and great hands. That last trait is something I expect OSU to feature on some screens, wheel routes and check downs. Specifically, some stuff they've yet to show. Really good player, continuing a long line of Cowboy excellence at the position. Tackling is crucial, as Hubbard's acceleration is something to behold once he gets going.

Tylan Wallace is probably the best WR in the league unless your tastes run more to Lamb. He's good at everything: hands, route running, speed, quickness, ball skills. If you can see a weakness in his game, I'm all ears. He already has six touchdowns on the season (OSU has 7 total passing touchdowns, hmm, who shall we double?) and he's averaging over 26 yards per catch. He dropped Kris Boyd's draft stock about two rounds in Stillwater last year on the way to a 10-222-2 td stat line and a 38-35 shootout win. IF ONLY WE COULD HAVE PREDICTED THAT OSU WOULD THROW TO THEIR #1 RECEIVER. The rest of the Cowboy receiving corps isn't particularly notable outside of Dillon Stoner, an experienced receiver with much better speed than his possession receiver-ish characteristics suggest.

Spencer Sanders will embrace his first real big game environment in Austin. The redshirt freshman has regained his dual threat ability (he blew out both knees, but has already notched a >100 yard rushing effort this year) but unlike most young dual threats, he's been calm in the pocket and showed good command. His constraint threat to our defense in complement to Chuba Hubbard as both runner and passer is a problem, particularly if Orlando gets all call-matchy and OSU shrugs at our "looks" and just attacks open space and positional discipline. I'd prefer to see if Texas can find honest pressure up front, take away easy reads with coverage and make Sanders stand strong in the pocket and go through some progressions. Speed him up, slow him down. Speed him up, slow him down. Sanders is averaging over 10 yards per attempt and completing 67% of his passes, but he hasn't yet had a 30+ attempt game. How will he hold up if the burden of the game is placed on his shoulders?

The Oklahoma State OL is veteran and, to my viewing, underrated. Every single one of them redshirted. Four of them are 4th or 5th year players. Really solid bunch and they get after it in the running game. Have they faced personnel like Texas yet? Nope. Not on their schedule and certainly not in practice. The Texas brain trust needs to scheme ways to make them feel the DL upgrade in opposition.

It's worth noting that Todd Orlando's terrific performance against the 2017 Cowboy offense came with 3 and 4 man rushes where Texas played heavy coverage and was willing to allow some Justice Hill chain moving in exchange for shaking up Mason Rudolph, forcing turnovers, and playing some terrific red zone defense. Different personnel, different QB for OSU, but it is worth noting.

If you don't think OSU comes out running tempo on a script, you're not paying attention. Anticipate the script and what those single read confidence-instilling plays might be and make some calculated adjustments.

Cowboy Defense

The DL isn't very good. They try to fill space and play the run while OSU gets pressure from LB Amen Ogbongbemiga, whose name I was able to successfully pronounce on the Everyone Gets a Trophy podcast by some miracle of God. Amen, y'all! Amen is smallish and fast, but he can bring it on interior stunts and already has 3.5 sacks on the season. He's the star of their front 6 or 7. Everyone else is...FBS adequate. They're also a bit small once you get past the DL.

The premier players on the OSU defense are the corners - AJ Green and Rodarius Williams. They man them up more than any cornerback duo in the league and they live with the feast/famine that produces when DC Jim Knowles brings his (often excessive) pressure packages. He has toned it down a bit this year, so we'll see what happens in Austin. I think Knowles learned some hard lessons in Big 12 play last year and they're doing less better.

That CB duo gave LJH and CJ problems in Stillwater and cost the Texas offense several wasted possessions (OSU led 31-14 as six Texas possessions yielded less than 10 yards) before the staff adjusted to secondary and tertiary passing options and started rolling late with touchdowns on 3 of our last 4 possessions. Too little, too late.

Herman and Beck understand what happened and will scheme accordingly. This Texas receiving corps has much better distributed talent than last year and more players that can hurt the Cowboy defense. So even if we concede that AJ and Ro win more battles than they lose with Collin Johnson and, say, Devin Duvernay (which I'm not willing to concede for Dev), what are they going to do with Eagles and Smith? Or Ingram and Johnson as pass catchers? How will they deal with Sam Ehlinger's refined command of the offense and his ability to throw into pressure with plucky aplomb?

Oklahoma State's entire goal will be to unload their defensive guns early, pray for a sluggish Texas offensive effort, get a lead, and create a reprise of last year's shootout win. Once they shoot those bullets, only the Texas offense can stop itself.

Final thoughts

I don't fully trust our defensive staff right now, but I do trust the Longhorn offense. Actually, don't trust is harsh. I just don't know what to expect from them.

Nonetheless, I like Texas to win in a shootout this Saturday, but I'd stay away from those Vegas lines.

surprised no mention of not having foster. i feel like with him in this is a game we can dominate. w/o foster i don't know. maybe put C brown closer to the link as the joker and leaving the other two safties in coverage is a good substitute. brown is a baller and turning out better than i expected. 

3 minutes ago, TXs said:

If there's one team I want Herman to run up the score on and not let off the gas is Gundy's mullet-headed ass.

See and here I’ve always gotten along well with longhorns because I thought we all agreed that OU was the team we both wanted to put on the pain train...

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

See and here I’ve always gotten along well with longhorns because I thought we all agreed that OU was the team we both wanted to put on the pain train...

spacer.png

hey nothing personal, he's just punked our asses the last 4 years I need it for therapeutic purposes 

3 hours ago, staboner said:

surprised no mention of not having foster. i feel like with him in this is a game we can dominate. w/o foster i don't know. maybe put C brown closer to the link as the joker and leaving the other two safties in coverage is a good substitute. brown is a baller and turning out better than i expected. 

Offense is likely to roll. It comes down to To__ Olran_o's defense. That'll be $9.95 please.

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

I'm pessimistic about this game. Can't shake the feeling. I'm pretty certain our D gets humiliated again. 

I hate feeling like this.

We need to run the ball a little better than we have.  

It hasn't been bad,  but we need the ability to control the ball with the run w/o Sam if we need to.  

Hopefully Ingram healthier and Young back will help.  

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

I'm pessimistic about this game. Can't shake the feeling. I'm pretty certain our D gets humiliated again.     I hate feeling like this.

Probably gonna be a high scoring shootout.  Texas really needs to generate some turnovers from Okie Lite.

Foster and Overshown are out and Ossai possibly limited by hurt shoulder -- Gundy gonna go after Texas LBs again.  Ossai has been in a green jersey at practice all week...

Shark and Dele gonna need to play well, and hopefully Juwan can step up!! 🤘

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Any chance Okie Lite rotates their QBs since the Hawaii transfer throws better??

I'd say highly unlikely.

Brown might be a marginally better passer than Sanders, but not to the point where you would rotate them because Sanders "can't" throw or something... he has completely 67% of his passes through his first 3 college games with 7 TDs and 1 INT.  That's not bad at all.   Brown is at 70% playing basically a quarter against an FCS team.

One thing to watch, however, will be any new wrinkles that the OC Gleeson brings in... apparently while he was at Princeton, he had several instances of plays where he would have two QBs on the field at the same time.  We haven't seen that yet, and I have no idea if something like that would work in the Big 12, but with two capable QBs, it's certainly something that *might* happen.

Edited by oSuJeff97

17 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

One thing to watch, however, will be any new wrinkles that the OC Gleeson brings in... apparently while he was at Princeton, he had several instances of plays where he would have two QBs on the field at the same time.  We haven't seen that yet, and I have no idea if something like that would work in the Big 12, but with two capable QBs, it's certainly something that *might* happen.

We'll probably have 2 QB's on the field for about 1/3 of all offensive snaps.

IT

TEAM

Injuries and Roster Moves

The Man in the Plastic Boot, Zach Shackelford, lived up to his name this week and didn't practice. Last week we didn't think he'd play but he did. He re-aggravated it in the Rice game, but given the chance to rest it over the bye we think he's going to play Saturday.

Joseph Ossai will be good to go but they made sure to rep guys in case he hurts his shoulder again. Shoulders can be tricky when it comes to football. Oh wait, you're a Texas fan, you know that.

Daniel Young returned last week and had one of the single most impressive plays of the game. He looked like Joe Bergeron folding that Rice defender up. It was good to see. Also returning to the field was Kirk Johnson. It's unknown if he'll play this week; I tend to think he won't. These returns have allowed freshman linebacker David Gbenda to resume his linebacker duties. That's just in time to add depth with Caleb Johnson sitting in the portal.

DeMarvion Overshown and BJ Foster could be available for the West Virginia game. That would give them a week to knock the rust off before that little game in Dallas.

On Jordan Whittington, the timetable was 6-8 weeks from the surgery and that seems to be holding. Don't expect to see him against Oklahoma, at least not in October.

I failed to mention last week that Josh Thompson was working at corner. That continued this week. There's some speculation he may start but look for it to remain Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce.

Kenyatta Watson repped boundary safety this week. That's due to injuries but we believe they view him differently from the other guys they intend to red-shirt. He's ready to play this year, but the need isn't there (yet) and corners are valuable. However, they want to hold off on using his remaining three games in case they need it down the stretch. Keep repping him technically and mentally and see if he adds real value later on as opposed to special teams and garbage time now. There's a lot of season left.

General Info

- Despite the injuries, look for a heavy dose of dime this week provided Oklahoma State is in 11 personnel. When they go bigger, Texas will go bigger. Ossai won't leave the field.

- The DB's will be Chris Brown at Joker, Caden Sterns at boundary safety, Montrell Estell at field safety, and Brandon Jones at nickel. I think there's some belief that Jones is the steadiest in the back-end, and there's a ton of usefulness to that this week with Tylan Wallace waiting to strike deep, but he provides too much versus the run at nickel. There is a lot of trust in Estell's ability. He could eventually have the breakout we're seeing from Chris Brown. Do not sleep on the value of development.

- Were there takeaways from last year? "F*** yes there were. Give the corners help." Wallace is going to have to really earn his yards. Expect Ok. St. to move him around a lot and try to create a missed assignment. I think UT has a good plan for him. A good plan for the corners too.

- Of course you can't just focus on Wallace. The first guy you have to slow down is Chuba Hubbard. The easiest way would be nickel but that exposes them too much in the back-end so they have to play the trade-off game. "This game may require some in-game adjustments..." but it's a strong plan going in. They have strategies in place to account for Spencer Sanders on the move as well.

- How do you think the run game will hold up? "Should be fine. They're good, they'll move it some. If they want to grind it out that's fine."

- Rice doesn't count, could this be a real breakout for Juwan Mitchell? "Absolutely. Perfect game for it and he had a good week of practice. He's starting in the nickel look. He's earned his snaps." When I hear "he's earned his snaps" it's a sign of much more than on-field play, it's a sign of buy-in.

- Is anybody else seeing their role expand? "T'Vondre Sweat should see his snaps increase."

- What is Malcolm Epps' deal? You don't need to be 6-6 to run comebacks. He needs to get more physical. "Not sure. He's not like that in practice. He hasn't been a great blocker but he hasn't been that bad (in practice)." That's good to hear. It sounds more like a mental processing thing then. For now.

- Anything interesting on offense? "Just getting depth back. The o-line should be a big advantage. This Sam is better than the one they saw in the second half last year. Offense is more explosive. Offense should play well."

- Duvernay. "Told you."

- I didn't necessarily doubt it. That play in the spring game was what I always expected from him. "That guy is strong."

- And while he isn't the most fluid guy for a slot receiver, he has good feet. Jake Smith. "That dude is fast. He has to wait his turn but he'll be more than ready. They really have two starters there."

- How has Collin Johnson looked? "Good. He could have played last week. Big game for him. We'll see how long they go man on him. They'll want to make others beat them."

- Is there extra motivation in this game given how this decade has gone. "Players care most about their time in the program and nobody on this team has beaten Oklahoma State. The staff either. To answer your question, yes."

- Lee Fedora is a one-time successful Mike Gundy offensive coordinator. Is there any value to Herman there? "I'm sure they've had some talks on over-arching management type things but it was a long time ago."

- Fedora's last year was the year Gundy became a man, became 40! The conference is so lucky to have that guy. Predictions? "I think Texas wins a pretty close game. How close depends on the defense."

- I like UT too. Nobody's really talking about the home field advantage. They're not playing the game in the middle of the day. They're not playing against the officials. They aren't fielding Charlie Strong's special teams or Vance Bedford's secondary. It's amusing to me to see people worry about the streak as if they're bringing carry-over points with them. "The streak is a positive. We haven't mentioned physicality either. That's an advantage. They'll be ready."

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, Fud said:

Any clarity on whether or not Asi,  Evers, and Harper are expected to play?

Update - Evers and Asi are good to go; also Antwine's paperwork finally cleared and will paly.

Harper still "probable" but not for sure; I imagine even if he does play it will be limited until he gets back into game shape.

Bundage out.

- Lee Fedora is a one-time successful Mike Gundy offensive coordinator. Is there any value to Herman there? "I'm sure they've had some talks on over-arching management type things but it was a long time ago.

Just saw this... I had no idea Fedora was at Texas now! I always liked him.

That said - yeah I don't know any intel that Fedora could provide. As noted, it was quite a while ago, and our offense is totally different now. Fedora brought the zone-read/pistol spread that we were running back then with Zac Robinson, Kendall Hunter, etc. 

We scrapped that in 2010 when Holgorsen came on board and we switched to his Air Raid variant, which we've been running (with lots of tweaks) since.

Edited by oSuJeff97

13 hours ago, staboner said:

SURLY-CREDIT-CARD.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3