Rachel Maddow slays Sean Hannity in the Ratings

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

I can't watch 2 minutes of Hannity.  He projects loudly like he is telling the truth that only he knows and he is nothing more than a shrill for Trump. It pisses me off that my demographic. the Baby Boomers, apparently love him. 

They love him because he reinforces and stokes their fear. They are scared and he tells them they should be.

And they should be. They are dying and watching their world disappear.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Anybody that watches Hannity on the regular (to do anything but goof on him) is a fucking moron.  He's an idiot, and his show is for idiots.  Complete mouth-breathers.  There's not a single thing to be learned from that show. 

Anybody that watches a political pundit show on the regular is a fucking masochistic moron. I don't know how the hell people can tolerate watching a pundit after they have been ingesting the news all day.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Anybody that watches Hannity on the regular (to do anything but goof on him) is a fucking moron.  He's an idiot, and his show is for idiots.  Complete mouth-breathers.  There's not a single thing to be learned from that show. 

If I wanna enjoy TV it ain't watching that partisan hack, it's more the hot air magic oven info-mercials that get me going for quality TV.

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Yes. If you believe “X” watching either will affirm that belief. 

Rarely are people watching one of these shows to gain knowledge of the other side. 

While both shows/sides have their own partisan slant, one show provides information based in reality founded in things like science, academic studies, and actual journalism.

The other side is based largely in conjecture and unfounded conspiracy theories like Seth Rich, Deep State, Hillary has Parkinson’s, and Obama is a Kenyan Muslim.

If you can’t see the difference between the two while standing in the middle of the partisan divide, I don’t know what to tell you.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

While both shows/sides have their own partisan slant, one show provides information based in reality founded in things like science, academic studies, and actual journalism.

The other side is based largely in conjecture and unfounded conspiracy theories like Seth Rich, Deep State, Hillary has Parkinson’s, and Obama is a Kenyan Muslim.

If you can’t see the difference between the two while standing in the middle of the partisan divide, I don’t know what to tell you.

I am not debating the quality of each. Do I think Maddow is "better" than Hannity? Yes I do.

However does she slant her show to her viewpoint as much as Hannity does just in a more thoughtful, less shrill approach? Yes she does.

If you think she is not biased, then I don't know what to tell you. And it's ok that she is, it is a punditry show not a journalism show. I am just saying that the avg person that watches her show already agrees with her and is just getting affirmation of their beliefs as is Hannity's audience.

12 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

f you think she is not biased, then I don't know what to tell you. And it's ok that she is, it is a punditry show not a journalism show. I am just saying that the avg person that watches her show already agrees with her and is just getting affirmation of their beliefs as is Hannity's audience.

I just said she had a partisan slant but her slant is largely based in facts reported via credible journalist and it’s not maliciously deceptive.

That is bias 

9F1CBFD0-2005-4904-A00F-0870796EF972_zps

Hannity has bias too but his based in an intentionally deceptive mix of fact and fiction.

That is propaganda 

970F8D72-ABBD-4850-B4D4-D2653D75C913_zps

When was the last time you watched either show?

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Maddow is a quality opinion journalist and in no way comparable to that hack Hannity.    That said, her entire show is basically explaining the latest Washington Post, etc., story in painstaking, suspenseful fashion within the broader context of other reports, and I've usually already read the story she's talking about, so I can't stand watching her show.   I wish she would cut to the chase on the facts of the reports and then expand on their import, but I guess what she's doing is working for her ratings. 

37 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I just said she had a partisan slant but her slant is largely based in facts reported via credible journalist and it’s not maliciously deceptive.

That is bias 

9F1CBFD0-2005-4904-A00F-0870796EF972_zps

Hannity has bias too but his based in an intentionally deceptive mix of fact and fiction.

That is propaganda 

970F8D72-ABBD-4850-B4D4-D2653D75C913_zps

When was the last time you watched either show?

I don’t watch Hannity ever. Maddow monthly as I see inlaws as they watch MSNBC exclusively. 

She’s more talented and better. But she starts from a biased perspective. It’s an opinion show. That’s ok. My point still stands. The audience for both shows are looking for opinion confirmation, not to be challenged in their beliefs. 

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Maddow is a quality opinion journalist and in no way comparable to that hack Hannity.    That said, her entire show is basically explaining the latest Washington Post, etc., story in painstaking, suspenseful fashion within the broader context of other reports, and I've usually already read the story she's talking about, so I can't stand watching her show.   I wish she would cut to the chase on the facts of the reports and then expand on their import, but I guess what she's doing is working for her ratings. 

She scissors with Samantha Bee while making the dirty talk about republicans... visualize THAT ......

• 2 years later...

Rachel Maddow is a talent, but she turns her viewers into stress monkeys if they weren't attracted to her show from the git go because they are stress monkeys.

Unless one wants to get riled up, she's just unnecessary noise.

She'd be terrific if she had a once a week, two hour focused show. 

stanford_maddow.jpg?resize=600,370

Edited by tantric superman

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That’s a shame. And surly lawyers, when the court says pay up, is it customary for the offending party to whine to the judge like this afterward?

Customary.... not sure.

I was personally involved in a judgement for attorneys fees where the judge reduced the amount I got after awarding the amount of attorney fees I paid.

Usually, a judge will decide that an award of attorneys fees is appropriate before deciding the amount.

The winner then tenders billing records and affidavits to the court.  The opponent will counter with evidence and argument that the work done was excessive and duplicative and the hourly rates excessive.

It is probably more common for the requested amount to be reduced than to be awarded in full.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It would seem that way. Except for official briefings, I prefer to read the news. 

This. I watch local weather and sports, and I’ll watch live coverage of huge events....otherwise, I read my news. Shit, same with any analysis/commentary. I hate hour long shows that tease the whole time to get to the final point. Or YouTube videos. Fuck watching a 19 minute video when I can read the key points in 1 (I’m a fast reader).

Cable news makes everyone who watches it worse off.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 11 months later...
28 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Saw that she's spending a few weeks on the movie based on her 'Bag Man' book and podcast, with Ben Stiller running it.  No, it's not about the SEC unfortunately.

I know they built this stuff (her book/podcast/film deals) into her 30 million-a-year contract last year so she obviously had something cooking outside of her MSNBC show, but I'm still surprised that it got a big movie deal with some major people backing it.

I may even watch it.

Edit: I know the podcast is a part of MSNBC, but I mean the book/film are outside of MSNBC, but still done by a studio owned by Universal/NBC.

Edit #2: I guess that since the movie studio is owned by Universal/NBC, maybe she built the movie into her contract, but didn't think it was.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 2/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah.  They were billing $460/hour for paralegals.  Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LA office.

Back in 2010, when all I was doing was real estate loan workouts, all those big NY bankruptcy firms would bill their paralegals at $500+/hour.