Corching

Fondren & Main

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

By corching, do you mean player decisions regarding whether to even field punts in situations where field position is essentially meaningless?  If so, I agree

Exactly.  Warehime is the ST Coordinator.  He's failed at coaching the OLine and he was awful tonight.  I mean what does the guy do besides drop legendary dumps?

And Herman's offensive coaching at times was just a real head scratcher.  Take the points dickhead.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Exactly.  Warehime is the ST Coordinator.  He's failed at coaching the OLine and he was awful tonight.  I mean what does the guy do besides drop legendary dumps?

And Herman's offensive coaching at times was just a real head scratcher.  Take the points dickhead.

I actually really like his aggression, even if it opens him up to criticism when we don't convert.

We just beat an undefeated team that has been our bogey team for a decade. Our defense was down to the third string in the secondary. It's going to be ok.

Warehime sucks, though.

8 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

No way. Most coaches are idiots who bow to conventional wisdom out of fear of losing and/or criticism, even though the numbers support going for it WAY more often. I’d much rather have a coach err on the side of aggression, because it’s actually the right decision more often than not.

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I actually really like his aggression, even if it opens him up to criticism when we don't convert.

Analytics (erneh) suggest that football coaches don't go for it on 4th down nearly as often as they should. The human tendency is to be risk-averse. So I suppose I get the general idea behind staying aggressive on 4th and short. Just need to find a better go-to than #8 because defenses have cottoned on to it.

• Like 2

The offense and defense played pretty good games (well ok pretty good games by their respective standards...) but then the special teams clowned it up. I don't know what it means exactly, but I would appreciate getting it all together at least once.

I do worry about our pass coverage as we go on in the Big 12, especially with the Sooners in three weeks.

11 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I think Herman is actually right on this one. These days this kind of aggressive calling is what you need to win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m no fan of Warehime. But I’ve had friends calling for his job tonite. Really?  Jake Smith muffs a punt, and Captain Brandon Jones pulls a bonehead move, and Warehime is to blame?  Lulz. 

Its actually on Herman.  he can make the call to say "do not field this punt".  the only way we don't go into half up 8 is to fumble the punt, the only way we can lose the game is to fumble the punt.  we did it twice.  Its on Herman.

Edited by dcar00
meant up 8

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m no fan of Warehime. But I’ve had friends calling for his job tonite. Really?  Jake Smith muffs a punt, and Captain Brandon Jones pulls a bonehead move, and Warehime is to blame?  Lulz. 

Jones should not be fielding punts after last year.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s accountable but guess that kinda of thinking upsets you.

Just now, formermav43 said:

I disagree completely. It’s the difference between the 15 yardline and being down maybe inside the 5. And I guarantee our plan was to try to go score again.

we had all the momentum and we were getting the ball after half.  there was less than one minute left.  we let them back into the game by doing the one thing we didn't need to do.

27 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I love being proven right that Coach Herman is a fucking great coach and that those who wanted him gone early last year like 6th Street and bschoolprof continue to look like fools with every big win. 

Great coach is a bit of a stretch...

He’s a lot better than Strong, and we rarely come out flat against good teams. I’ll give him that. But you’re throwing “great” around like 30 coaches in college football are great 

• Like 2

Just now, dcar00 said:

we had all the momentum and we were getting the ball after half.  there was less than one minute left.  we let them back into the game by doing the one thing we didn't need to do.

The thing we didn’t need to do was fumble, not field the punt. If we have the opportunity to score points, we should try to take advantage of it. Period.

36 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Most people go through life and become legends of nothing.  He’s still young, yet he already has one legend under his belt.

8 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

The first one absolutely should have been fielded. He didn’t coach him to muff it.

Thank you. This. Ask any coach: if the punt isn't inside the 10 and the returner doesn't have to make some crazy catch on the full run, they want it fielded. Having someone they trust to catch the ball is a better alternative than the ball bouncing around and potentially grazing a player's leg.

Or, the punt gets downed at the 1, and you have to worry about a safety.

• Like 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

The thing we didn’t need to do was fumble, not field the punt. If we have the opportunity to score points, we should try to take advantage of it. Period.

disagree.  there was no upside.  the D was playing fairly well.  our way to win is to grind the opponent down with long sustained drives.  sure we had the eagles TD but that is the exception to the rule with this team.  the game wasn't going to be a shootout.  bigger issue is we didn't capitalize on getting the ball after half.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

disagree.  there was no upside.  the D was playing fairly well.  our way to win is to grind the opponent down with long sustained drives.  sure we had the eagles TD but that is the exception to the rule with this team.  the game wasn't going to be a shootout.  bigger issue is we didn't capitalize on getting the ball after half.

As the Aggie noted, literally no coach in the world would have you avoid fielding a punt at the 15. This argument is fruitless.

Edited by formermav43

I wasn't aware that he teaches the sliding punt catch technique.  

But I haven't been to any practices.

Are you aware that a decent coach (assistant or whatever) OFTEN grabs the returner by the jersey before he goes out and tells him “do not return or fair catch this punt. Run away from the ball and don’t go near it?

Edit to add: aim only salty about the one near the end of the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Great coach is a bit of a stretch...

He’s a lot better than Strong, and we rarely come out flat against good teams. I’ll give him that. But you’re throwing “great” around like 30 coaches in college football are great 

Where Herman has this program in his 3rd year after almost an entire decade of rot under Mack and Potato is proof of his great coaching and program building. We are going to beat OU and win the XII this year and hopefully punch a ticket to the playoffs. His guys have bought in and he is recruiting lights out. The improvement on his side of the ball from his first year until now is night and day. The OL and Sam’s development in reading defenses, ball security and accuracy from where he was is proof of the great coaching we have. I knew Herman was the next big thing in college ball when he was with tOSU and UH. Glad to see the doubters being proven wrong every week. The muffs pissed me off too. Poor special teams are not a hallmark of a Coach Herman coached team. It was a fluke. Compare where we are as a program to Michigan under Harbaugh. We were in worse shape than them and are in a better position for future success than they are while they’re getting embarrassed and losing to their rival every fucking year.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

8 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I love being proven right that Coach Herman is a fucking great coach and that those who wanted him gone early last year like 6th Street and bschoolprof continue to look like fools with every big win. 

Hi!  I never wanted Herman gone.  I wanted Beck gone and thought Herm was all talk and no show.

Frankly, I'm elated Herman proved me wrong. Our football program is in the best shape it's been in a decade.  Yes, there are concerns, but even I'm having a hard time getting too worked up about corching after beating OSU at home for the first time since 2008 I think.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Where Herman has this program in his 3rd year after almost an entire decade of rot under Mack and Potato is proof of his great coaching and program building. We are going to beat OU and win the XII this year and hopefully punch a ticket to the playoffs. His guys have bought in and he is recruiting lights out. The improvement on his side of the ball from his first year until now is night and day. The OL and Sam’s development in reading defenses, ball security and accuracy from where he was is proof of the great coaching we have. I knew Herman was the next big thing in college ball when he was with tOSU and UH. Glad to see the doubters being proven wrong every week. The muffs pissed me off too. Poor special teams are not a hallmark of a Coach Herman coached team. It was a fluke. Compare where we are as a program to Michigan under Harbaugh. We were in worse shape than them and are in a better position for future success than they are while they’re getting embarrassed and losing to their rival every fucking year.

I cringe when I think about what Jalen Hurts might do to this defense, but I want you to be right as much as anything sports related that I’ve wanted in a while.