ISU at Baylor

Al_4_ISU

also no fucking idea what the color guy was talking about saying with only 8 seconds and a timeout that Baylor had to go for the hail mary.

they literally just got 20 yards the play before that took 5 seconds.  They were at their 45.     another 6 second  20 yard play in the middle puts the ball at the 35,  with a 52 yard FG being a complete option with 2 seconds left. 

No idea what to think of Baylor. They outplayed ISU pretty dramatically for 50 minutes of that game, and still needed a last second FG to win by 2. Is Baylor a top 20 team? Or are they a "receiving votes" type team and ISU is gonna struggle to make a bowl game?  

I'm leaning towards the latter. ISU was only in that game due to throwing jump balls to another 6'7'' guy.

2 minutes ago, Farkimedes said:

No idea what to think of Baylor. They outplayed ISU pretty dramatically for 50 minutes of that game, and still needed a last second FG to win by 2. Is Baylor a top 20 team? Or are they a "receiving votes" type team and ISU is gonna struggle to make a bowl game?  

I'm leaning towards the latter. ISU was only in that game due to throwing jump balls to another 6'7'' guy.

7-5 (4-5)team that is scrappy? My guess before the season and same now.

3 minutes ago, Farkimedes said:

It's the latter until the results come in next week against K-State on the road and they should be very much in that game.  It will be legit if they get past Okie Lite three weeks later.

We’re still in the exact same boat as every Campbell team at ISU this far, but no one realizes that. I suspect this team legit sucks and won’t win 8 games, but we were 1-3 at this point last year, 2-2 in ‘17, and our losses were less competitive.

Buuuuuut we had Montgomery and Butler.

53 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Those were two solid defenses the first half.  The 3-man front is a legit defense in this league) until it’s not in the next season or two).  

Brewer is a really solid college QB.  Lacks a lot of skill but fun as shit to watch.   

Just bad football the entire first half....

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I dunno about Baylor struggling to make a bowl. They still have WVU and Tech at home and KU on the road. Only need two more with that nonconference 

Baylor will get to eight wins. They're pretty clearly better than the three you mention and can probably beat one of KSU or TCU.

• Like 1

Great way to let the old stadium go before the renovation:

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2019/9/26/20885348/chip-joanna-gaines-to-renovate-mclane-stadium-replace-iconic-tarps-with-shiplap

“I’m also thinking of converting the seats to white upholstered chairs to add nice clean feel and contrast with the rustic barn doors. We also have plans to install clawfoot urinals in the men’s rooms, suspended shelving roughly 8 feet off the ground in the concession areas, and a large marble-top island in the middle of the field where players and coaches will be able to gather and entertain during the game.”

It's wild to watch the narrative on this guy just flip almost instantly.

I wondered about his temper after the 2017 game against you guys.  He absolutely flipped out on Jacob Park on the sideline, and it gave me pause.  That game, however, proved to be a catalyst to the best 24 months of ISU football in my lifetime.  Water under the bridge.

What we've done so far this year is no different than the previous couple years.  We actually have a better record than we did a year ago.  But that's all pretty much out the window.  I think he's fine, but I also remember being completely thrilled with Paul Rhoads 1/3rd of the way through his 4th season.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 9/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, HornsOverIthaca said:

Matt Rhule looks like they sampled both DNA and wardrobe from every trash talking little league father in the US and created some kind of composite creature.

Or Mike Piazza and Billy Joel’s unholy love child. 

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's wild to watch the narrative on this guy just flip almost instantly.

I wondered about his temper after the 2017 game against you guys.  He absolutely flipped out on Jacob Park on the sideline, and it gave me pause.  That game, however, proved to be a catalyst to the best 24 months of ISU football in my lifetime.  Water under the bridge.

What we've done so far this year is no different than the previous couple years.  We actually have a better record than we did a year ago.  But that's all pretty much out the window.  I think he's fine, but I also remember being completely thrilled with Paul Rhoads 1/3rd of the way through his 4th season.

Campbell needs to beat tcu in a bad way.  Really is disappointing to see his offense struggling so much.  With the experience of their OL they should be able to run the ball much better.

This Saturday vs tcu is a huge game for Campbell and the Cyclones trajectory for the remainder of their 2019 season.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Campbell needs to beat tcu in a bad way.  Really is disappointing to see his offense struggling so much.  With the experience of their OL they should be able to run the ball much better.

This Saturday vs tcu is a huge game for Campbell and the Cyclones trajectory for the remainder of their 2019 season.

I don't disagree.  It's the first of 3 very winnable games, and it's at home.  Get this one, and we probably roll over WVU and Tech to sit at 5-2 with the Pokes coming to Ames for a big one.

If we lose, well, we are Iowa State.

I watched this game from McLane stadium. Tell Brock Purdy to look someplace other than the 5 yards in the middle of the field.

Baylor's defense is credible for once, but they let the RB leak out to the side uncovered EVERY PLAY. However, the QB stubbornly refused to do anything besides attack his TE or slot in the middle over and over again. As a result, he either got 15 yard completions or, usually, found his team in 3rd and long.

These two teams were, unsurprisingly, evenly matched. Neither can generate a pass rush without committing extra defenders. Neither can defend a pass if the pressure doesn't disrupt the QB in under 3 seconds. ISU was surprisingly less physical than I was expecting. They seemed to be thinking rather than playing.

7 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I watched this game from McLane stadium. Tell Brock Purdy to look someplace other than the 5 yards in the middle of the field.

Baylor's defense is credible for once, but they let the RB leak out to the side uncovered EVERY PLAY. However, the QB stubbornly refused to do anything besides attack his TE or slot in the middle over and over again. As a result, he either got 15 yard completions or, usually, found his team in 3rd and long.

These two teams were, unsurprisingly, evenly matched. Neither can generate a pass rush without committing extra defenders. Neither can defend a pass if the pressure doesn't disrupt the QB in under 3 seconds. ISU was surprisingly less physical than I was expecting. They seemed to be thinking rather than playing.

jwj-UT-TCU-00551.jpg

920x920.jpg