2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

On 1/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, taybo20 said:

I get where you’re coming from with koolaid talk. I do the same every off season, but not this time; Texas has to prove it to me. The new coordinators have a lot of work in front of them.   

Yep.  I ingested way to much this season and the hangover from my indulgence still lingers.  I will believe in this coaching staff and team the second the clock hits zero on win number 10 next season.  Not a second before.  

Same for the 2021 team.  Fool me 10 times, shame on me.  Won't be fooled again.  

From 9.95 board:

24/7 Stampede - coaching search related

Texas will have several staff openings to fill over the next few weeks. As Tom Herman looks to add talented coaches with strong recruiting ability, I decided to put a list together of some possibilities. After speaking with sources from across the nation last week, I was able to put together a list of a few coaches to keep an eye on during the hiring process.

Emmett Jones, Kansas
We’ve talked about Jones many times, and he would be a grand slam hire for Texas. A former south Dallas high school coach with ties to Duncanville and South Oak Cliff, Jones was a star recruiter at Texas Tech and Kansas. If Jones could go out on the trail sporting a Longhorn logo, he could totally change the balance of power in Dallas.

Tim Brewster, North Carolina
It sounds like Brewster could be heading back to Texas A&M, but if Texas is looking for an ace national recruiter, Brewster could fill that role as a tight ends coach at Texas. Brewster is one of the most polarizing characters in the college football world, but his recruiting skins are legit.

Sherrone Moore, Michigan
Moore is one of the top recruiters in the country and he carries a strong reputation at Michigan. After previous stops at Louisville and Central Michigan, Moore is emerging as a young star on the recruiting front. If Texas is looking to make a big move at the tight end position, Moore could provide a boost to recruiting and coaching.

Jason Mohns, Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro
Mohns is currently the head coach at the powerhouse Arizona high school, and he’s likely the next high school coach to make the jump to the big time. The Longhorns have been active recruiting in Arizona, and Mohns would provide an advantage in Arizona and beyond.

Randall Joyner, SMU
SMU’s defensive line coach is one of the rising stars in the business and could be a candidate to coach defensive line or linebackers. Joyner is known as a strong tactical coach with legitimate recruiting chops. Texas could buy relatively low on Joyner and reap the rewards when he blossoms into a star assistant.

Donte Williams, Oregon
Oregon’s current cornerback coach is in the mix to be the Pac 12 recruiter of the year, and he would be a huge weapon if Texas wanted to continue to expand their brand to the west coast. Williams previously coached at San Jose State, Arizona, and Nebraska, and he’s another young star generating a ton of buzz nationally.

Kerry Cooks, Texas Tech
An Irving, TX native, Cooks has experience recruiting Texas during his time at Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. Cooks has a strong reputation recruiting in the D-FW area, and he owns a wealth of experience teaching the position.

Aaron Fletcher, Tulsa
An Austin native who played at Texas A&M Commerce, Fletcher went on to make multiple stops at the high school level (Carter, Lancaster, Austin LBJ) before coaching at Houston Baptist. Fletcher’s Tulsa secondaries have been strong performers over the last few years, and national sources speak highly of him as both a coach and recruiter.

Herb Hand quote about Jason Mohns (Arizona High School coach mentioned in Stampede)

Anyway, my goal here is to not to do the same with Jason Mohns. The head coach at Saguaro High School in Scottsdale, Ariz., is not Zion Williamson for a bunch of different reasons, starting with the fact that Zion has a much higher vertical. But it’s hard to listen to him speak, as I did at the Tony Franklin OC Magic clinic on Saturday, and not come away thinking he’s the next high school coach to make the jump to major college football.

Don’t take my word for it, though. Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand, speaking after Mohns on Saturday, paused his own talk to heap praise on Mohns, sitting in the front row. “I’m so fired up for you, dude,” he said. “One day I hope I work for you. You’ve got it figured out, dude. If you’re going to overhaul your whole system, go do what he does. No wonder he scores 50 points a game.” Franklin praised Mohns with words I can’t print, because this is a family website.

https://footballscoop.com/news/next-coach-jump-high-school-big-time-jason-mohns-saguaro-arizona/

Sherrone Moore would be a phenomenal hire. Why is he available, though? Jones would be a great hire as well. I wouldn't mind keeping our interim WR coach, but Jones would be a step up. I was the one pushing for Randall Joyner last year. This year, I don't see that it would be a great help to our defensive staff unless he switches to LB coach. He played the position, but he would be inexperienced coaching it.

FCB Coaching update

It sounds like Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson is staying at A&M.

Tom Herman is not considering Tim Brewster as tight ends coach.

Herman hasn't yet spoken with Kansas receivers coach Emmett Jones as receivers coach.

Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are starting work full-time today at Texas and will interview current assistant coaches about possibly being retained.

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

FCB Coaching update

It sounds like Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson is staying at A&M.

Tom Herman is not considering Tim Brewster as tight ends coach.

Herman hasn't yet spoken with Kansas receivers coach Emmett Jones as receivers coach.

Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are starting work full-time today at Texas and will interview current assistant coaches about possibly being retained.

Good - get Frank Okam on the phone.

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

LOL at this statement, since Warehime was fired over the weekend while Drayton and Hand were announced as retained.

From the Recruiting board -

IT 'update' on the coaching search:

By: Eric Nahlin, Joe Cook, and Justin Wells

This week's Scoop dives into recruiting following the two premier high school All American games with notes and quotes from Texas signees and commits, Bijan Robinson on Mike Yurcich, assistant coaching updates and more for your Monday Scoop.

COACHING

New offensive and defensive coordinators, Mike Yurcich and Chris Ash, will formally begin working today.

Craig Naivar and Jason Washington still don't know their fate, though we've heard they don't expect to be back. The performance in the Alamo Bowl at least makes these two worth watching, however.

For a brief time, moving Naivar to defensive line was discussed. He has experience at the position. We feel that is very unlikely.

Washington's corners, finally allowed to be aggressive, played great versus Utah. It helped that the D-line played well out of its new looks but that should have always been the case, which in turn would have helped the rest of the defense, including the corners.

I feel both are unlikely to return. Naivar could land with Todd Orlando.

Ash should only make a move if he has real upgrades on the hook, but in Naivar's case Ash himself will be viewed as the upgrade as he also coaches safeties. Naivar does have versatility. He'd probably make a solid special teams option as well. Those guys are always yelling and cussing.

We haven't heard Elijah Robinson's name but others have mentioned him so we checked on it. We've heard two things, he wants to move back "home" and to watch the New York Giants if Matt Rhule gets that job. That would fit as 'back home'. The current A&M defensive tackles coach was at Baylor with Rhule and Temple before that. He'd be a great hire for Texas but is unlikely.

After asking around about Frank Okam, I don't think he's being mentioned as a viable defensive tackles coach.

If the Giants do hire Rhule, I've heard Joey McGuire will get an interview and may be the front-runner at Baylor.

I've heard Tim Brewster has interest in the Texas tight ends job but we've been through that song and dance so many times, I barely even tap my toe to it. I think Herman feels the same.

For wide receivers coach we still think Emmett Jones and Tyron Carrier are the top choices, but we don't think either has formally interviewed.

Herman is clearly taking time to collaborate with his new coordinators.

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Naivar was told over the weekend he wouldn’t be back

Guess that blows up the 9.95'ers story that those guys would be interviewed this week.

*UTSA still doesn't have a Defensive Coordinator.  Might be a landing spot for Naivar.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

The premise that Washington would be brought back at this point also seems preposterous. 

Replacing 7 assistants is ... not a good look. Still, this was a terrible fucking staff that fuckface assembled to start with, and maybe this works out. Sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass every decade, but maybe things will go our way for the next 10 years. I'm quite sure it won't, but I'll trade cynicism in for hope until these other assistant hires get fucked.

• Like 5

The premise that Washington would be brought back at this point also seems preposterous. 
Replacing 7 assistants is ... not a good look. Still, this was a terrible fucking staff that fuckface assembled to start with, and maybe this works out. Sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass every decade, but maybe things will go our way for the next 10 years. I'm quite sure it won't, but I'll trade cynicism in for hope until these other assistant hires get fucked.

I’m going to choose to believe that some of these dismissed assistants were pretty good but weren’t retained because the new hires wanted their own guys.
  • Like 1