Next Texas Coach

Girdwood

Man, I watched that KSU/ou game and how that defense played and was coached was stunning compared to what I saw in Dallas.
I mean, they knew what they were doing.

And the Purple Wizard had to have signed off on him, knowing he was a great coach. It’s so frustrating that there is no one associated with Texas that knows who is and isn’t really good. When Stoops called Leach about who to hire, Leach immediately told him to get Riley. Riley has such strong memory he can remember almost every play he’s ever called. That type of freaky intellect should have already been known by Texas. I wonder what else they don’t know.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And the Purple Wizard had to have signed off on him, knowing he was a great coach. It’s so frustrating that there is no one associated with Texas that knows who is and isn’t really good. When Stoops called Leach about who to hire, Leach immediately told him to get Riley. Riley has such strong memory he can remember almost every play he’s ever called. That type of freaky intellect should have already been known by Texas. I wonder what else they don’t know.

There are known knowns, known unknowns, but the worst are the unknown unknowns. We're dealing with the unknown unknowns, and that just scares you to death.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

And still gave up 41

Yeah, cause we all know KSU and ou recruit the same talent levels.

Not to mention that 18 of those points came late in what had looked like a blowout win.  I can forgive a bunch of 3 star players who were 24 pt underdogs to get overexcited when up by 25 in the 4th.

This is the problem with just looking at the final score.

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, cause we all know KSU and ou recruit the same talent levels.

Not to mention that 18 of those points came late in what had looked like a blowout win.  I can forgive a bunch of 3 star players who were 24 pt underdogs to get overexcited when up by 25 in the 4th.

This is the problem with just looking at the final score.

We were up on ou big last year too.  And if we’re playing the point spread game we covered Vs ou.  We get it. You’re upset and demanding change right now.  I think Tom needs to fix a ton of shit but I’m not ready to throw him overboard.  

We brag about Sam being the savior but would you have taken him over Murray or mayfield?   

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

We were up on ou big last year too.  And if we’re playing the point spread game we covered Vs ou.  We get it. You’re upset and demanding change right now.  I think Tom needs to fix a ton of shit but I’m not ready to throw him overboard.  

We brag about Sam being the savior but would you have taken him over Murray or mayfield?   

So you're saying our talent level is more akin to KSU than to ou?

That's a scary thought.

7 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

If freaky intellect was essential for a HC then LSU would be in deep shit. They are not in deep shit.

The difference is that caveman had the stones and humility to go and hire a guy smarter than him to design and run his offense.  He's simple, but he saw something not working and he wiped the fucker clean.

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

The difference is that caveman had the stones and humility to go and hire a guy smarter than him to design and run his offense.  He's simple, but he saw something not working and he wiped the fucker clean.

Its a simple game made complex by simple minds.  

I stole that.  Thanks whoever it was.  

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

And we almost beat them.  Could have beat them.  That's what chaps my ass.  It's there.  It's so close.  The talent.  The players.  The most important element by far, is what we keep kicking ourselves repeatedly in the dick over.  Coaching.  So fucking close, yet we keep fucking that chicken again and again....

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Cajun said:

It takes solid horse sense to know when you're not the smartest guy in the room, and humility to go hire someone who is better at a specific task than you. I give the man the credit he is due. He is smart enough to know when he isn't smart enough, and wise enough to know it doesn't matter as long as the job gets done.

I'm not giving Orlando a pass for continuing to run head long into the same wall, nor am I giving Herman a pass for not doing something about that, and the frequent regression to "shut it down" play calling. However, depth is an issue. Our 1 deep is as good as anybody. Beyond that, it's still hit and miss, and in some positions we are way past the two deep due to injuries. I don't think that excuses failure as much as it exposes weakness in scheme and preparation. So says the guy in his chair in an office avoiding his own work.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cajun said:

"caveman" all you want, but this wasn't the result of something not working...this was the plan all along.  it started with hiring Matt Canada his first full season, but Canada was an arrogant horse's ass and clashed with everyone, including Aranda.  gone.  he brought back Slinger last year as a stop-gap to hunt for the right guy who fit.  the plan was a promise to Burrow to have him in this system, which is why he transferred to LSU despite our history.  

he's not a dumbass by any means.  he had a plan...a good plan...and implemented it.  he's damn smart enough to listen to the right people and get out of his own way, and that's fucking smart.  he plays his persona for a reason, and that's to get the actual dumbasses who think he's a...well, caveman...to sell him and his team short.  don't believe it?  go back and look at the threads prior to the LSU-UT game and how many posters on this site ragged him for being out of his element, and how "Mensa" was going to run circles around him.

who's laughing now?

btw, he's also 8-0 vs. top 10 teams not named Alabama. 

fucker's a leader and can coach 'em up.

24 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

It takes solid horse sense to know when you're not the smartest guy in the room, and humility to go hire someone who is better at a specific task than you. I give the man the credit he is due. He is smart enough to know when he isn't smart enough, and wise enough to know it doesn't matter as long as the job gets done.

Nobody is smart enough to run and manage every facet of a top team.  Or company.  Any competent leader will agree with this.  Find and retain top people and let them do their job and stay out of their way.

Man, I watched that KSU/ou game and how that defense played and was coached was stunning compared to what I saw in Dallas.
I mean, they knew what they were doing.

Maybe we should aim higher than coaches who beat ousux? Herman beat ousux and he’s our current under-performing coach.

4 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Are there issues with Chris Ash?  Could he be worse?  He may not have been head corch material but neither was Kevin Steele.  

I think he'd be fine if we fired Orlando tomorrow, to get us through the end of the year.  But we need to go money whip an actual, successful DC. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think he'd be fine if we fired Orlando tomorrow, to get us through the end of the year.  But we need to go money whip an actual, successful DC. 

How is Chris Ash not a successful DC? He has a national championship on his resume as Co-DC at tOSU. What more are you looking for?

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How is Chris Ash not a successful DC? He has a national championship on his resume as Co-DC at tOSU. What more are you looking for?

He was co-DC with Luke Fickell.  How do we know Ash was the brains and not Fickell? 

• Like 1

CDC is the wild card in all this. Everything he's done so far has me feel like he is in full control and 100% invested.

He could find a way to convince Herman that the coordinators need upgrading or... he could hold a press conference letting us know Urban Meyer has been hired to be the next coach at the University of Texas.

I would not be surprised by either one. He's the one guy I trust in making things right.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

"caveman" all you want, but this wasn't the result of something not working...this was the plan all along.  it started with hiring Matt Canada his first full season, but Canada was an arrogant horse's ass and clashed with everyone, including Aranda.  gone.  he brought back Slinger last year as a stop-gap to hunt for the right guy who fit.  the plan was a promise to Burrow to have him in this system, which is why he transferred to LSU despite our history.  

he's not a dumbass by any means.  he had a plan...a good plan...and implemented it.  he's damn smart enough to listen to the right people and get out of his own way, and that's fucking smart.  he plays his persona for a reason, and that's to get the actual dumbasses who think he's a...well, caveman...to sell him and his team short.  don't believe it?  go back and look at the threads prior to the LSU-UT game and how many posters on this site ragged him for being out of his element, and how "Mensa" was going to run circles around him.

who's laughing now?

If he can’t beat Bama none of that matters. And he won’t. Saban owns LSU.

Edited by Girdwood

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

who's laughing now?

I'm just going with the sterotype/joke KE.  One developed as much on Tigerdroppings as much as any other site like this, I might add.  I don't truly think Ed O is a caveman.  I don't disagree with one thing here in your post.

Edited by Cajun

6 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

If he can’t beat Bama none of that matters. And he won’t. Saban owns LSU.

the fuck you say...we have an actual fighting chance this year and with the schematic and coaching changes, along with the way recruiting is going, we'll compete every year hereafter.

Saban owned Miles...and that carried over to O.  and O changed as a result.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He was co-DC with Luke Fickell.  How do we know Ash was the brains and not Fickell? 

Fickell is an elite coach. He appears to be set in his career as a head coach. He's not walking through that door. He and Ash worked really well together at tOSU. Fickell is a first class LB coach and his responsibilities dealt with the front seven and stopping the run (with help from Larry Johnson who is as good of a DL coach as anyone in the country). Ash was in charge of the back end and was an enormous step up from when Everett Withers held that job. His DBs played press man coverage and shut down opposing receivers. And actually turned and looked for the ball when covering their man. If there was an opening, I'd welcome him back to the staff in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

CDC is the wild card in all this. Everything he's done so far has me feel like he is in full control and 100% invested.

He could find a way to convince Herman that the coordinators need upgrading or... he could hold a press conference letting us know Urban Meyer has been hired to be the next coach at the University of Texas.

I would not be surprised by either one. He's the one guy I trust in making things right.

CDC firing Herman after 3 years, eating the millions he's owed, and hiring Meyer would be one of the most shocking things I've ever witnessed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

if only there were some way to try him out on a test basis . . .

nope - there isn't!  Never change!!

Hey woah, I definitely said go ahead and fire Todd tomorrow and try him out.  If he fails, go after a DC in the offseason. 

50 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Username checks out.

If you'd seen a lot of my posts on LSU over the years you'd know how off the mark you are.

I'm sure KE will back me up on that.

I'm not their cheeleader, not by a far sight, but I can call it how I see it irrespective of losing to their coonasses and enduring their fanbase.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

If you'd seen a lot of my posts on LSU over the years you'd know how off the mark you are.

I'm sure KE will back me up on that.

I'm not their cheeleader, not by a far sight, but I can call it how I see it irrespective of losing to their coonasses and enduring their fanbase.

Oh i know.  I just couldn't pass it up.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The one problem I see is that when it comes to football, CDC may not be in full control.

I cite as Exhibit A Herman's contract extension.  That was just not a smart move and I doubt that it originated with Chris Del Conte.  The 10-4 season was great and all, but there were enough question marks to hold your financial water for another year, at least.  And I'm sure from a business perspective, Del Conte was against it.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The one problem I see is that when it comes to football, CDC may not be in full control.

I cite as Exhibit A Herman's contract extension.  That was just not a smart move and I doubt that it originated with Chris Del Conte.  The 10-4 season was great and all, but there were enough question marks to hold your financial water for another year, at least.  And I'm sure from a business perspective, Del Conte was against it.

We were definitely in a high post Georgia.  Yea we had some frustrating losses as usual but we beat ou and uga and we’re pretty competitive in our loss vs ou.  I think toms buyout is relatively low