Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

I'm in NJ, but if the feds are going to say fu because we, gasp, pay teachers a liveable wage and participated in Medicaid expansion, then what are we doing here. It's not enough that Florida is an idiocracy, they are determined to drag the rest of us down into it.

Whatchu know about the crab mentality - AKA being a boomer

• Like 1

His ever foul trait was on display from the beginning. There was no need to discover anything about him. He has been embraced largely because of his foul, narcissistic, arrogant traits.
It's the electorate.

ea3d2ce18739fb1af07b6c933972b99d.jpg

It’s the dismal tide.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

source.gif

Perfect.

This  is so much of what we're dealing with.  Sure, Trump and those folks have made themselves useful idiots for the McConnells and oligarchs of the world, so they support Trump and Trumpism.  But without this cultural base, there is no Trumpism.

Shit, I was on 281 yesterday, between 71 and central Marble Falls -- maybe a 5 mile stretch.  Sweet Jesus, the Trump signs and flags -- in many cases, accompanied by a Confederate flag, and even combo flags (Trump flag and confederate flag, etc.) -- they were all over.  Shit, head up the road a bit further -- there's an actual Trump gear STORE in Llano.

Do you remember seeing properties decked out in Bush flags, or Reagan flags, or Clinton flags, etc.?  Sure, you might have seen campaign signs, but you didn't see cultural merchandise EVERYWHERE.  For the bulk of the Trump voters, t's not about policies, or ideas -- it's cultural identity, pure and simple.  It's also fucking nuts.

I was noticing this coming back from POC last week. There are some absolutely gorgeous big ranches on that drive. Big gates, big houses up the hill, manicured front pastures, etc. Easily multi-million dollar properties. There was usually a flag pole at the gate with a US and/or Texas flag, but nothing overtly political. Drive a mile down the road, and every trailer in the trailer park had a Trump flag, Gadsten Flag, usually a confederate battle flag and other flair. Same goes for the drive up 29 to Llano. You get much past Liberty Hill and the Trump flags are everywhere. 

54 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there are a lot of idiots itching for some sort of "new civil war" because they think their states have "more ammo" or whatever the fuck.  if i were a betting man, i would say we're gonna break up into 6-7 independent nations way before any type of shooting war.  get your crystal balls out.  look 250 years into the future.  it would be absolutely shocking if we were still chugging along with 50 states and the exact same constitution and system of government.

I would bet that any push to separate will come from the states that are monetarily carrying places like Kentucky. What Cuomo said just puts out in the open the disparity amongst the individual states when it comes to money. People will eventually get tired of propping up Mississippi, Kentucky and Alabama financially and move to dissolve the country and that will be ugly. I honestly would have never thought such a thing would happen in any of our lifetimes or even as far out as our grandchildren or great-grandchildren, but after seeing this idiot completely divide the country I am not taking anything off the table in regards to this. 

39 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Yeah, but it won't be "armies" or state militias shooting at each other, it'll be nut jobs shooting up walmarts or whatever. Like what we are already having, just lots more, bigger, and more organized.

That's what I foresee as well. That's how it'll start, at least. 

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I would bet that any push to separate will come from the states that are monetarily carrying places like Kentucky. What Cuomo said just puts out in the open the disparity amongst the individual states when it comes to money. People will eventually get tired of propping up Mississippi, Kentucky and Alabama financially and move to dissolve the country and that will be ugly. I honestly would have never thought such a thing would happen in any of our lifetimes or even as far out as our grandchildren or great-grandchildren, but after seeing this idiot completely divide the country I am not taking anything off the table in regards to this. 

The exact same thing has been happening in Spain where the Catalonia region has been pushing for Independence because their taxes prop up the rest of the country. It can easily happen here. 

Britannica's definition of a failed state includes this 

A failed state is composed of feeble and flawed institutions. Often, the executive barely functions, while the legislature, judiciary, bureaucracy, and armed forces have lost their capacity and professional independence. A failed state suffers from crumbling infrastructures, faltering utility supplies and educational and health facilities, and deteriorating basic human-development indicators, such as infant mortality and literacy rates. Failed states create an environment of flourishing corruption and negative growth rates, where honest economic activity cannot flourish

We are not there 100 percent yet but damned if we aren't speeding towards that as fast as we can. Every disaster be it a hurricane in Puerto Rico or the coronavirus is just showing the cracks and stressing the structure even further. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe I lack vision, but I see no workable way to separate the 50 states into two or more functional countries.  It would be like Pakistan and Bangladesh on steroids.

Not following the analogy...to my knowledge Pakistan and Bangladesh were never physically one country. 

However, you bring up a great point...is there a part of the globe the English didn't fuck up?

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

The amazing thing is he's been this regarded all along. 

Yep.  It took the objective fact(s) of a disease pandemic to completely expose him. 

This.  Just. Can't.  Be.  Spun.  Nor can his complete inadequacy to deal with it.

It kind of underscores how easy his administration has had it.  No crises other than those of his own making.  No facts to confront and deal with.  It's just been a giant Boys State.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hope?  Why, Politico has an article up about her today:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/27/trump-hope-hicks-coronavirus-crisis-210808

Good luck, Hope.

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

It's almost like she's never met the man.

Yes! Thank you, she is the one.  She's ineptly qualified so perfectly suited for the position.

@DixonHur that is a great idea! I'm Team Flipper all the way.

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not following the analogy...to my knowledge Pakistan and Bangladesh were never physically one country. 

I'm no historian -- I was just referring to the split that eventually created modern day Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh.  It doesn't seem to have been particularly equitable.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

If you were to ask a group of run-of-the-mill midwesterners to list the most important American values, they’d include things like Golden Corral, water slides, cargo shorts, a specific arrangement of words spoken or sung in the direction of a specific arrangement of stripes and stars, Jesus, and four wheelers. They literally assume the superficial details of their daily lives are the important differentiators that make the US great

I agree totally, but this Trump allure has been totally created by false perceptions and lies.  Trump himself shares none of these midwestern American values. This New York, suit and tie, faithless, indoor loudmouth; personifies the cultural opposite of this fanatical base.  This shows the hunger of many Americans for real American leaders who identifies and understands their existence.  The tragedy is that millions of voters support this Trump dream without realizing they have been duped.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.  It took the objective fact(s) of a disease pandemic to completely expose him. 

This.  Just. Can't.  Be.  Spun.  Nor can his complete inadequacy to deal with it.

It kind of underscores how easy his administration has had it.  No crises other than those of his own making.  No facts to confront and deal with.  It's just been a giant Boys State.

This pandemic offered a teed up opportunity to run away with the election and significantly improve his legacy. All he had to do was to treat covid like the huge threat it is, invoke the DPA early to get the PPE and vents flowing, and generally not be a dumbass. He'd have gotten a huge bump like GWB post 9/11.

But he'll always view this calamity as something that unfairly happened to him. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

Boogaloo advocates reportedly include Matt Marshall, a leader of the militia group Three Percenters, named for the disputed belief that only three percent of Americans fought in the Revolutionary War. According to the Anti-Defamation League, Marshall suggested that followers wear the Hawaiian shirt, the mark of the Boojahideen, to anti-quarantine protests.

Now I know what to do with the hundred Tommy Bahama shirts my old man left.  Time to make some coin off the morons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

We are not there 100 percent yet but damned if we aren't speeding towards that as fast as we can. Every disaster be it a hurricane in Puerto Rico or the coronavirus is just showing the cracks and stressing the structure even further. 

every time it so much as drizzles in pawnee, the town is in danger of collapsing into thunderdome-style post-apocalyptic mayhem. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Boogaloo advocates reportedly include Matt Marshall, a leader of the militia group Three Percenters, named for the disputed belief that only three percent of Americans fought in the Revolutionary War. According to the Anti-Defamation League, Marshall suggested that followers wear the Hawaiian shirt, the mark of the Boojahideen, to anti-quarantine protests.

I've heard reports that there has been some movement from the Parrot Head brigade out of Margaritaville as well. Shit, they'll probably drag in the Conch Republic too. Shits getting real.

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

So happy that the idiots are using "Boogaloo" as the code for their civil uprising...it's been the license plate on my Porsche for 4 years. I'm a little embarrassed to be thought of as supporting the madness.

Four year old Porsche? Humblebrag falls flat.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Cleveland 117, San Antonio 109

This is made even better by the fact that Trump has the scientific and medical proclivity of Tor the Healer 

Trump:  "And what's tracing, testing, treatment gonna cost us?  

Tor:  "About $100 billion."

Trump:  "Uh huh, and what's giving everybody disinfectant and a light bulb gonna cost us?"
Tor:  "About $38 sir." 

2 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

So this apparently just now happened?

Anyone with a shred of executive leadership would have called reps from all the biomedical and biotech companies together eight weeks ago (ala Paulson and the banks) and said:  your country is in a crisis, what can you do for your country?  No need to whip out the DPA yet, get them in a room together and shame them or prod them into action.  Maybe also learn some things. Like how to unfuck the FDA.

cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpeg

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Watch the last little twitch back to center he does at the :06 

Trumpkins will tell us that's just he gets back to business mode.

That is what you do when you're drunk or fucked up on drugs and you catch yourself drifting away and bring yourself back to center.  The last 1.5 seconds of that are as disturbing to me than the slurred "I love errybody." 

Some of his inner circle are going to have to live for decades knowing they did nothing to stop him/help him and let him drag the nation down with him.  I don't know what he's going through physiologically, but it's getting worse.  And they're all complying with him because when he's lucid, he still wields a big hatchet and a bigger base.  And some of them know this is their last hoorah in politics so may as well go out scheming.  But some of his younger advisers and children are going to have to live with this for decades.  Most of the party will have no use for them because their own personal brands could only garner a small fraction of Trump's electorate which always (no matter what) fluctuates between 53-63mm voters.  Half of those folks will turn back to the traditional GOP, they voted straight ticket last time and they'll do it next time.  So you'll have 30mm real Trump cultists and nobody but him can deliver those 30mm, maybe 10mm at the absolute most.  No party, not even the infected GOP, is gonna sell out all over again for 10mm voters.  You can scare that up with the right voter surpression systems.  You don't need to carry Eric Trump or Mike Pompeo's water for 20 more years to get that pittance of voters.  So I go back to my point---the man is ill and the grift must go on, and I get why.  What I don't get though is some of these people are going to suffer from this not just from 2020-2024, but until the end of their days.  I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life looking over my shoulder.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Watch the last little twitch back to center he does at the :06 

Trumpkins will tell us that's just he gets back to business mode.

That is what you do when you're drunk or fucked up on drugs and you catch yourself drifting away and bring yourself back to center.  The last 1.5 seconds of that are as disturbing to me than the slurred "I love errybody." 

Some of his inner circle are going to have to live for decades knowing they did nothing to stop him/help him and let him drag the nation down with him.  I don't know what he's going through physiologically, but it's getting worse.  And they're all complying with him because when he's lucid, he still wields a big hatchet and a bigger base.  And some of them know this is their last hoorah in politics so may as well go out scheming.  But some of his younger advisers and children are going to have to live with this for decades.  Most of the party will have no use for them because their own personal brands could only garner a small fraction of Trump's electorate which always (no matter what) fluctuates between 53-63mm voters.  Half of those folks will turn back to the traditional GOP, they voted straight ticket last time and they'll do it next time.  So you'll have 30mm real Trump cultists and nobody but him can deliver those 30mm, maybe 10mm at the absolute most.  No party, not even the infected GOP, is gonna sell out all over again for 10mm voters.  You can scare that up with the right voter surpression systems.  You don't need to carry Eric Trump or Mike Pompeo's water for 20 more years to get that pittance of voters.  So I go back to my point---the man is ill and the grift must go on, and I get why.  What I don't get though is some of these people are going to suffer from this not just from 2020-2024, but until the end of their days.  I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life looking over my shoulder.  

I want to see what you're seeing, but I don't see any motion in the last couple seconds, except for a movement at the very end that the clip freezes a tick after it begins. Is that what you're talking about?