Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I know a couple of us have felt the news on the coronavirus from the major outlets has been subpar at best. I rarely see CNN, FOX News or MSNBC  even talking about it in passing.   When an article pops up on CNN it's usually about why the Flu is more deadly.  I have seen some good stuff out of NYT and WP. but most of the time they are still using official Chinese numbers to draw their conclusions. I'm sure tomorrow there will be articles about COVID19 slowing down,  though all evidence, other than Chinese released numbers, points to the contrary. I have felt that no tough questions were asked initially on why China was going to extreme lengths to stop it and I haven't seen much evidence of investigative journalism since.  Anyway, I thought this article on zerohedge was interesting. 

10 Very Important Questions That The Mainstream Media Should Be Asking About This Coronavirus Outbreak

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/10-very-important-questions-mainstream-media-should-be-asking-about-coronavirus

Edited by Colonel Sanders

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

According to CNN, the Chinese CDC calculates the fatality rate at 2.3%.  That’s lower than SARS and MERS, but two orders of magnitude higher than the 2020 flu strains (at around 0.1%).  

That fatality rate, coupled with the apparently high transmissibility of coronavirus, could explain China’s extreme response.  Flu is a significant killer on an annual basis.  Now multiply the number of typical annual flu deaths by 200, and you’ll understand our concern, Dude.

A good point.  Also, I think a lot of people's thinking is polluted by past outbreaks that were successfully contained.  Oh, some people got sick and some died, then it went away.  It's easy to shrug off that scenario.

But there is a danger that this becomes part of the human condition like the flu with yearly returns.  If that happens, then it isn't just how many die from this initial outbreak.  It is how many die each year in perpetuity tacked on top of the number that die each year from the flu.  I don't think anyone in a position of authority should be shrugging this off.

43 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

I know a couple of us have felt the news on the coronavirus from the major outlets has been subpar at best. I rarely see CNN, FOX News or MSNBC  even talking about it in passing.   When an article pops up on CNN it's usually about why the Flu is more deadly.  I have seen some good stuff out of NYT and WP. but most of the time they are still using official Chinese numbers to draw their conclusions. I'm sure tomorrow there will be articles about COVID19 slowing down,  though all evidence, other than Chinese released numbers, points to the contrary. I have felt that no tough questions were asked initially on why China was going to extreme lengths to stop it and I haven't seen much evidence of investigative journalism since.  Anyway, I thought this article on zerohedge was interesting. 

10 Very Important Questions That The Mainstream Media Should Be Asking About This Coronavirus Outbreak

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/10-very-important-questions-mainstream-media-should-be-asking-about-coronavirus

Zero Hedge has long been known to be a fringe, conspiracy-mongering website that was literally just banned from Twitter for spreading misinformation on the Coronavirus and doxxing a Chinese scientist.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/twitter-bans-zero-hedge-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Zero Hedge has long been known to be a fringe, conspiracy-mongering website that was literally just banned from Twitter for spreading misinformation on the Coronavirus and doxxing a Chinese scientist.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/twitter-bans-zero-hedge-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory/

As opposed to major news outlets that blindly repost Chinese numbers without even asking if they are correct?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

As opposed to major news outlets that blindly repost Chinese numbers without even asking if they are correct?

NPR story I listened to last night had an interview that absolutely did question the actual figure. They did not, however, start making shit up about some individual scientist. I have seen other articles from other credible sources who also question that and delve into how the virus came about also citing concerns about the spread of misinformation.

Here's a nice one from Reuters discussing the problem of people wanting immediate answers and how they can lead us down all kinds of crazy paths.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-research-analysis/speed-science-the-risks-of-swiftly-spreading-coronavirus-research-idUSKBN20D21S

Again, Zero Hedge is conspiracy site.

"A factual search reveals a terrible track record with IFCN fact checkers. Below is just a small sample of the numerous failed fact checks by Zero Hedge.

Says China “stole Coronavirus from Canada and weaponized it into a Bioweapon.” – False"

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/zero-hedge/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colonel Sanders said:

tl/dr  I hate it when the facts / credible reporting doesn't fit my world view so I found a crackpot site that does, please read!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, bolverk said:

They were banned for reporting the same information as the Chinese university researchers I posted upthread. And doxxing. Nothing wrong about a ban for doxxing.

By the way, that really solid subreddit, /r/china_flu?

Dumbshit moderators can't leave well enough alone, and there's some really shady shit going on.  Apparently it's a single group of mods that are somehow taking over and running multiple subreddits dealing with this little virus.  /r/china_flu was humming along nicely, a lot of solid posts, and they were keeping out the batshit qanon idiots and their ilk.

But they just can't let a good thing continue being a good thing.  So this little cabal, or whatever of moderators, decided that /r/china_flu was too popular and too informative versus the more aptly-named /r/coronavirus, so they switched the moderation/rules between the two subs, relaxing the moderation to let the batshit Alex Jones types have their say.  At one point, were deleting posts and threatening bans for those who were calling it simply "coronavirus" instead of ncovwhateverthefuck19.  

They have done an outstanding job of driving a lot of people away and fucking up a perfectly good forum.

There are people hanging in on /r/china_flu, and trying to keep it the same as it was, just as informative, etc., but it's like the fucking mods are working against them.

And they switched all of these moderation styles, the rules, etc. without input from the subreddits themselves.  Think Surly out-of-the-blue switching moderation with TexAgs, complete with threads being deleted, moved, people being banned for not toeing the party line, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, just saw that. Need to relearn my Soul Korea geography 

41 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Stop flights to any goddamn country that has an actual known outbreak, asap. That includes china, SK, and any others with over 8-10 cases

jfc

Um, we got more than that. Most on the West Coast. Stop US Travel? 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

By the way, that really solid subreddit, /r/china_flu?

Dumbshit moderators can't leave well enough alone, and there's some really shady shit going on.  Apparently it's a single group of mods that are somehow taking over and running multiple subreddits dealing with this little virus.  /r/china_flu was humming along nicely, a lot of solid posts, and they were keeping out the batshit qanon idiots and their ilk.

But they just can't let a good thing continue being a good thing.  So this little cabal, or whatever of moderators, decided that /r/china_flu was too popular and too informative versus the more aptly-named /r/coronavirus, so they switched the moderation/rules between the two subs, relaxing the moderation to let the batshit Alex Jones types have their say.  At one point, were deleting posts and threatening bans for those who were calling it simply "coronavirus" instead of ncovwhateverthefuck19.  

They have done an outstanding job of driving a lot of people away and fucking up a perfectly good forum.

There are people hanging in on /r/china_flu, and trying to keep it the same as it was, just as informative, etc., but it's like the fucking mods are working against them.

And they switched all of these moderation styles, the rules, etc. without input from the subreddits themselves.  Think Surly out-of-the-blue switching moderation with TexAgs, complete with threads being deleted, moved, people being banned for not toeing the party line, etc.

I wait for the BNO desk and stick with it. They seem to be doing a good job reporting and staying out of politics/conspiracies/reallystupidshit. I appreciate that. Oh, and just cuz her... 

youre-pretty-g0od-at-vrestlin-there-katy

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

So they want to fuck up elthe rest of East Asia’s economy so theirs doesn’t look so bad?

No, notice the massive drop in new cases - this feels like they are trying to project to the rest of the world, that’s it’s not so bad.  Also, the timing - right as they are trying to get factories back on track.  

• Like 1

Shit, forget the refugee camps and slums of Africa. Imagine this virus rampant among the homeless population in the US. 

A joint statement from Spokane Regional Health District, Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, and the Washington State Department of Health

Spokane, Wash. - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has asked Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center to monitor and care for five individuals who have tested positive for the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Providence will work closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) and Spokane Regional Health District (SRHD) to care for these patients while they are under isolation. The exact timeline for the patient transfer is not yet known, but it is expected to occur within the next 1-2 days.  

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

..or "ambulance" translated to Korean then translated back into English.

spacer.png

I had a small house of brokerage on Wall Street.  Many days no business come to my hut.  But Jimmy has fear?  A thousand times no.  I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo … dung. … The glorious sunset of my heart was fading. Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space.  But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match.  Monkey clown horrible karate browned and yummy like a cute small baby chick will now eat the donkey.

• Like 1

Client just sent me this asking if they should be worried. I told them no.... but start building your bunker.

Spoiler

The Department of State requires the following items, Brand Name or Equal, to the following:  
LI 001: Mfr Part No.: 8612F_2KJJ6. Disposable Respirator N-95 Green protective masks. 20 masks per package., 1500, Packages;

Client just sent me this asking if they should be worried. I told them no.... but start building your bunker.
Spoiler

The Department of State requires the following items, Brand Name or Equal, to the following:  
LI 001: Mfr Part No.: 8612F_2KJJ6. Disposable Respirator N-95 Green protective masks. 20 masks per package., 1500, Packages;

As a reference point, this is a 30k order at $2.50 a pop so a $75k order. I imagine it’s for the people quarantined in SA, SD, and AK.
Should we start freaking out if the government puts in a $1MM order? $500K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, BLKNSTY said:

As a reference point, this is a 30k order at $2.50 a pop so a $75k order. I imagine it’s for the people quarantined in SA, SD, and AK.
Should we start freaking out if the government puts in a $1MM order? $500K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understand. This type of procurement is easily modified and extended. 

Since it is State this would be for overseas missions. People in lockdown are under HHS or CDC. 

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

South Korea starting to do things like delay school year starts, restrictions on travel, etc.   and US military personnel are starting to be banned from going off post.   

BNO has a ton of South Korean stuff this morning, but this is the scariest one. 

stop pissing in the offering people

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

South Korea starting to do things like delay school year starts, restrictions on travel, etc.   and US military personnel are starting to be banned from going off post.   

BNO has a ton of South Korean stuff this morning, but this is the scariest one. 

Image result for Where's your God now gif Burger King

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away