Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 hours ago, blacklab said:

If you want to discuss how trump has fucked all this up there is a thread for it in the CR.

This place is only for positive hip hop hooray talk, right? Not allowed to talk about our nation's lack of response to the greatest pandemic of our times?

Great current events board, bob. Definitely not a safe space for people who want to hide from reality. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This place is only for positive hip hop hooray talk, right? Not allowed to talk about our nation's lack of response to the greatest pandemic of our times?

Great current events board, bob. Definitely not a safe space for people who want to hide from reality. 

Two things...there hasn’t been much positive hoorays in here the last few pages, because it’s trending back up again.  Certain posters who used to put daily tweets here on dropping cases have suspiciously stopped...no surprise there.  

Second, give it a break.  I read daily and occasionally post in the CR board, and this isn’t the hill to die on.  Yes there’s barely-obfuscated posts/posters in DT that should be in the CR, but if it bothers you so much then just do something else.  Don’t give ammo to the regarded snowflake narrative.  

is this the proper place to discuss the need for this to just kill a massive portion of our population so that we can reach herd immunity? 

Yeah! It’s also the place where we point and laugh at smart European countries since their cases are going up by the tens of thousands. What a bunch of losers. How on earth did like 20 European countries let their guard down simultaneously and just spike all together as one great big happy continent. Could you answer that [mention]DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt [/mention] ?

Well that’s every country, except for one.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yeah! It’s also the place where we point and laugh at smart European countries since their cases are going up by the tens of thousands. What a bunch of losers. How on earth did like 20 European countries let their guard down simultaneously and just spike all together as one great big happy continent. Could you answer that [mention]DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt [/mention] ?

Well that’s every country, except for one.

Remember when the experts (meaning the scientists roundly mocked by the Q crowd here) said there would be a big spike in the fall going into winter?

it’s almost as if the entire world is dealing with a highly infectious airborne virus. In other words, Wuhan Flu hahahahaha!

• Hook 'Em 2

Remember when the experts (meaning the scientists roundly mocked by the Q crowd here) said there would be a big spike in the fall going into winter?
it’s almost as if the entire world is dealing with a highly infectious airborne virus. In other words, Wuhan Flu hahahahaha!

Uh-huh. I do remember.

Winter of death!

Cold dark red winter!

400k dead by Jan 1!

I’m not going to fault the population for resuming their lives if they’re feeling healthy after they see the CDCs survival rates. However those who get tested and don’t stay home while their test results are pending should probably be fed to the firing squad. That is not being smart.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Not a fan of this tack.  The Bobs are pretty awesome and honestly, you're pissing on your hosts' leg.  Not a good look.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Not a fan of this tack.  The Bobs are pretty awesome and honestly, you're pissing on your hosts' leg.  Not a good look.

They are awesome, and they do keep this place running which is great. And I'm sorry to @blacklab for focusing my negativity at him unfairly, especially when he's donating his time to the site. 

Just hard to ignore the arbitrary limits on salient and topical issues around COVID to forbid (or at the very least, ostracize) any sort of reflection and discussion on what we could have done and should be doing. Everything is politicized right now, fucking facemasks are still an issue, to give a specific example. It shouldn't be political to call out dumb actions that will lead to more unnecessary infections and deaths, and say why they're bad. 

I have no issue with a post like

”we should mandate masks, limit groups to 10 and limit large gatherings”

I do have issue with

“. Instead since trump is the president we shit our pants and the rest of the world gets to smell our shit stained pants.

Congrats trumpkins. “

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sweden method - ok to talk about and praise

Rest of Europe’s method - ok to make fun of and mock

America’s method - OMG CANT DISCUSS POLITICS BLAHHHFHFJSHDJ

You are free to discuss the different approaches different countries have taken. What we don’t need is a discussion of the right or left wing politics of those countries. 

The posts I deleted from this page were some variation of “right wingers have taken over country x” and “no they are run by liberals”

Sweden method - ok to talk about and praise
Rest of Europe’s method - ok to make fun of and mock
America’s method - OMG CANT DISCUSS POLITICS BLAHHHFHFJSHDJ

Who’s mocking Europe? We’re mocking the Americans who told told other Americans how much smarter Europeans are compared to the average American.

Sweden’s method-smart because it’s a virus.

Americas method- smart mixed with dumb people,

BUT we have 220k deaths!

Yea but half of those were from like April-May when when we didn’t have the therapeutics and treatments we have had from June-mid October.

But NY and NJ were slammed so hard early on!

So was Sweden, and now they can basically coast through this.

Unless of course, you wanted to stay locked in the last 8 months?

One of these 2 graphs were praised by Fauci for doing things right
c00ca568f1f981777263d9772b9f905d.jpg

ae715a7d436e8e74d1bad9a8be20fa4d.jpg

And the other is mocked for being irresponsible and killing their own people.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Who’s mocking Europe? We’re mocking the Americans who told told other Americans how much smarter Europeans are compared to the average American.

BUT we have 220k deaths!

Yea but half of those were from like April-May when when we didn’t have the therapeutics and treatments we have had from June-mid October.

Interesting you left out the Y axis on your charts. Perhaps it is the order of magnitude more dead people due to COVID that we are experiencing compared to other 1st world nation's?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

BUT we have 220k deaths!

Graphs without axis labels are not helpful. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Captainant said:

Number of people dead is generally a pretty relevant statistic for measuring the efficacy of pandemic response, IMO.

A country with 10M people and a country with 300M+ people either can't be compared or relativity needs to come into mind.  Since we constantly look to Scandinavia for health and crime related policies we are obviously ok with comparing the two populations, thus we must look to relativity.  Unless of course we're saying that the USA should never be compared to other countries of drastically smaller size again.  In that case, I agree.

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Could you name 5 countries that aren’t islands(Japan,SK, NZ and Australia) that have been given A grades for how to handle a pandemic?

Please don’t mistake my presence here as an honest attempt to engage you or try and convince you of the utter stupidity of your viewpoints.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

South Korea and Australia are “islands”. Amazing.

Yeah, his knowledge of pandemics is up there with his geography knowledge.  

What about Isthmuses?  How are they doing during the pandemic?  You know what they say about a good Isthmus?  They're like South Austin's mom...you can pound 'em from both sides but in the end.....they remain there...stronger than ever.  And a bit moist.  

Yeah, his knowledge of pandemics is up there with his geography knowledge.  
What about Isthmuses?  How are they doing during the pandemic?  You know what they say about a good Isthmus?  They're like South Austin's mom...you can pound 'em from both sides but in the end.....they remain there...stronger than ever.  And a bit moist.  

Ok Lobo. You got me. You can totally access SK via land. Just let me know how.

17 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

A country with 10M people and a country with 300M+ people either can't be compared or relativity needs to come into mind.  Since we constantly look to Scandinavia for health and crime related policies we are obviously ok with comparing the two populations, thus we must look to relativity.  Unless of course we're saying that the USA should never be compared to other countries of drastically smaller size again.  In that case, I agree.

You realize, maybe, that the scale of those graphs could be relativized using deaths per thousand or similar, and still have one be way larger than the other?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok Lobo. You got me. You can totally access SK via land. Just let me know how.

the definition of an island is not whether or not it's accessible by a political land holding.  You're confusing political geography with natural geography.  By your rationale, West Berlin spent decades as a geographical island because you could not access it by land (save for a handful of heavily-negotiated political crossings, much like NK-SK)...you had to arrive by plane.  There have been significant periods of recent history when Israel was not accessible via Egypt/Lebanon/Syria/Jordan.  We don't consider it an island though.  The temporary travel restrictions of a peninsula or prefect or holy land outlier do not constitute an Island.  

Death rate is the wrong metric to go by and it drives me crazy that it continues to be used at the litmus test by certain groups for how the pandemic should be handled. There are people on this site who have given personal anecdotes as to how their COVID experience went and a lot of these stories involve multiple visits to health care providers, testing by health care providers, multiple days or weeks of illness and lack of productivity, and lingering effects. We're talking medical bills, loss of PTO, loss of wages due to lack of PTO, stressing an already thin health care system, etc. Death may be the ultimate toll that COVID may have on someone, but just because people aren't dying in droves like they were in April doesn't mean that a major wave of COVID won't be extremely disruptive to our lives and prolong the amount of time that we, as a society, have to deal with this horrible situation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

the definition of an island is not whether or not it's accessible by a political land holding.  You're confusing political geography with natural geography.  By your rationale, West Berlin spent decades as a geographical island because you could not access it by land (save for a handful of heavily-negotiated political crossings, much like NK-SK)...you had to arrive by plane.  There have been significant periods of recent history when Israel was not accessible via Egypt/Lebanon/Syria/Jordan.  We don't consider it an island though.  The temporary travel restrictions of a peninsula or prefect or holy land outlier do not constitute an Island.  

So how do you get to South Korea by land. You’re basically sidestepping what I mean. Spread in South Korea isn’t going to be the same as those in European countries or The states. Especially if outside international travel is mostly shut down

Death rate is the wrong metric to go by and it drives me crazy that it continues to be used at the litmus test by certain groups for how the pandemic should be handled. There are people on this site who have given personal anecdotes as to how their COVID experience went and a lot of these stories involve multiple visits to health care providers, testing by health care providers, multiple days or weeks of illness and lack of productivity, and lingering effects. We're talking medical bills, loss of PTO, loss of wages due to lack of PTO, stressing an already thin health care system, etc. Death may be the ultimate toll that COVID may have on someone, but just because people aren't dying in droves like they were in April doesn't mean that a major wave of COVID won't be extremely disruptive to our lives and prolong the amount of time that we, as a society, have to deal with this horrible situation.

I can do daily cases between New York and Sweden and they’re mostly the same if you want

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

So the only deadly way infectious people can bring an airborne virus from one place to another is by land crossings?  

Protests apparently are the other way.  Mouth breathing doesn’t pass it nor does gathering for a beer if you’re god fearing because it will disappear like a miracle.

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I can do daily cases between New York and Sweden and they’re mostly the same if you want

3 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Cool. NYC is 38,242 people per sq. km and Sweden is 24.98 people per sq. km. Statistics mean nothing without context.

Also: https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-shifts-away-no-lockdown-strategy-amid-growing-case-numbers-2020-10

Sweden will shift away from its early coronavirus strategy of opting against lockdown measures and instead embrace restrictive measures adopted by most of its neighbors amid growing case numbers in the country.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, is set to meet with local health officials next week to discuss which measures to put into place in response to outbreaks in the capital Stockholm and nearby city Uppsala, The Telegraph newspaper reported.

Unlike its Nordic neighbors and most other countries, Sweden did not deploy wholesale lockdown measures in response to the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic earlier this year.

Instead, the government led by Prime Minister Stefan Löfven allowed shops, bars, and restaurants to remain mostly open and students to attend school, to avoid a sharp second spike in cases later in 2020.

Sweden has recorded a much higher death per population rate than any of its neighbors since adopting this strategy. It had recorded 5,918 deaths as of Sunday, compared to 278 in Norway and 346 in Finland.

Umea University's Dr Joacim Rocklov told The Telegraph newspaper that after being an outlier earlier in the year, Sweden was shifting to a strategy closer to those adopted by most other governments.

It will give local authorities the power to strongly recommend people to avoid busy public places like shopping centers, museums, gyms, concerts, and sports matches. Swedes may also be asked to avoid public transport and contact with the elderly and vulnerable.

"What's happened in the last couple of weeks is a movement towards a similar model to what has been used in Norway and many other countries," he said. "It's very obvious that it's a new strategy, but still, the newspapers report on 'the Swedish strategy' as if it were fixed in March."

Johan Nojd, who heads Uppsala's infectious diseases department, suggested that he would be prepared to introduce harsher restrictions for the city like new rules for hospitality if the number of cases in the city continued to grow.

"Perhaps tomorrow we will have several talking about concerts or restaurants and then perhaps one could say, 'in Uppsala now for two or three weeks it is the Public Health Agency's advice not to sit in restaurants late at night'," he told the newspaper.

However, unlike in other countries, there will be no fines or legal consequences for people who decide not to follow any new advice. Bitte Brastad, the chief legal officer at Sweden's public health agency, said the rules were "something in between regulations and recommendations."

Tegnell this week said that the level of immunity in Sweden's cities was not as high as the health officials had recently believed.

"I think the obvious conclusion is that the level of immunity in those cities is not at all as high as we have, as maybe some people have believed," he said.

"I think what we are seeing is very much a consequence of the very heterogeneous spread that this disease has, which means that even if you feel like there have been a lot of cases in some big cities, there are still huge pockets of people who have not been affected yet."

So, by your favorite metric, being death, Sweden is actually a failure compared to its neighbors who instituted a lockdown. Also, they are nowhere near as close to herd immunity as they thought.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

I’m sorry I’m not doing a good enough job for your standards. I work 60+ hours a week and have a family I like to spend time with, I simply do not have time to read this thread and every other thread on the board and moderate the way is like to. I’m sorry I don’t know all the secret code words of the right and left that are put here. 

I don’t read this thread every day, I simply don’t have time. When someone reports a post like the one above that has no content related to the thread I am going to give that person a day off and go back through the page it’s on and either delete posts that are over the line and ban any posters with posts that are all politics with no content. 

how fucking hard is it to say “we used to lead the world in this stuff” instead of “we used to lead the world in this stuff Cheeto man bad everyone that doesn’t think like me is a retard”?

This thread is for news around the virus. Rates, cures, and other news should be on this thread. If you want to discuss the right or the left and the policies around this you are free to do so in the CR.

We do the best we can moderating this board, sorry we do not meet your standards. 

We used to lead the world in this stuff, who knows why we don't now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

I have no issue with a post like

”we should mandate masks, limit groups to 10 and limit large gatherings”

I do have issue with

“. Instead since trump is the president we shit our pants and the rest of the world gets to smell our shit stained pants.

Congrats trumpkins. “

We should mandate masks, who knows why we haven't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

So the only deadly way infectious people can bring an airborne virus from one place to another is by land crossings?  

I didn’t say that. I’m saying how are covid zombies supposed to infect places like NZ, Japan , SK because it sure isn’t going to be by getting in your car and Driving there. Europeans are allowed to drive from country to country and do whatever, are they not?

Of course those places will look like they’re beating the virus if very few from the outside are able to access it

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away