Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

14 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

The CDC fucks it up again...shocking

The entire vaccinated side of the graphic should not have a mask

There is no data, and ZERO plausibility, to justify a vaccinated person wearing a mask in an indoor gathering.

The chance vaccinated people have symptomatic covid or even asymptomatic PCR carriage at a level high enough to infect is ABSURDLY LOW

The further delta that comes from wearing a cloth mask with imperfect compliance is LOW

Combining an ABSURDLY low with a low number and you get an ABSURDLY low possible upper bound theoretical (but absolutely unproven) benefit

At some point, the precautional principle is gone.  You gotta have actual reasons to justify restrictions.

Probably the motivation for this is the idea that 'no one will know who got vax'. but they should say that explicitly and not sanction the idea that it does anything

C475F8D5-7828-41D8-9FC7-AF4C4A4C9BA3.jpeg

This literally makes me homicidally angry. It’s full on jack booted respect my authority you must obey the long dick of the law nazism. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, need to set up a station at Lamar and Rundberg -- offer $10 cash to anyone getting a jab.  Hell, set it up at one of the outdoor taquerias on a Friday night -- you'll get dozens of jabs in.

Go to where the people are.  Get it done.

Jabbed, stabbed...whatever it takes.

michael keaton GIF by Maudit

26 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Doesn't matter... no one's paying attention any more.  It's laughable that these guys think they are actually being heeded.

I mean- I flew yesterday and am flying back today on business and was subjugated to wearing masks. So there’s places you must heed what they are saying and have no choice. I’m afraid we will be stuck wearing masks while traveling for way longer than is necessary. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- I flew yesterday and am flying back today on business and was subjugated to wearing masks. So there’s places you must heed what they are saying and have no choice. I’m afraid we will be stuck wearing masks while traveling for way longer than is necessary. 

And that's fair. Their planes, their rules. 'Merica.

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And that's fair. Their planes, their rules. 'Merica.

Government decrees on airports and airplanes right?  So not “their planes their rules at all is it?”  And it applies also to the airport itself which is government property/infrastructure  isn’t it?  

I have a flight scheduled for July and I’m still ok with wearing a mask for it. I’m fully vaccinated, but I can’t count how many times I’ve caught a cold during a flight. I may just make that my own personal rule going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I have a flight scheduled for July and I’m still ok with wearing a mask for it. I’m fully vaccinated, but I can’t count how many times I’ve caught a cold during a flight. I may just make that my own personal rule going forward.

Yeah, definitely some of this.  I've caught multiple colds after being stuck in a metal tube with 150 strangers for hours.  Wearing a mask while flying may just be a smart move for me going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh we definitely won't get away from it for awhile.  But I guess I was thinking more of individuals actually looking at this chart and following it.  People will simply put on the mask when asked and take it off when not.  But the idea that this chart represents some type of "options" or that anything has really changed with it is laughable.  I think we're starting to see more and more people say screw that. Okay if you tell me to put it on I will.  But generally I'm not, especially if I have shots, because wearing a mask after that is, well, idiotic.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Okay if you tell me to put it on I will.

My immediate response will be "I'm vaccinated" and wait for their response. If they say "we don't care", I will start videoing it, scream at them for not believing the science and post it here for that sweet sweet Karma.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think people handwringing about the mask stuff if hilarious. Most of the country has been full open for a while. Only private businesses are still keeping mask indoors. And federal buildings and planes. The anti-vax people aren’t getting a vaccine even with the carrot of eliminating masks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I think people handwringing about the mask stuff if hilarious. Most of the country has been full open for a while. Only private businesses are still keeping mask indoors. And federal buildings and planes. The anti-vax people aren’t getting a vaccine even with the carrot of eliminating masks. 

I've been fully vaxxed for weeks.  I coached an 8 year old baseball game (obviously outdoors) last night in a mask because I live in a blue city in a red state.  Politics and stupid CDC recommendations.  There's zero doubt its a control thing with some.

No, my life didn't end.  But yes, it is stupid and has sucked ass.  I definitely wrung my hands over it.  

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I've been fully vaxxed for weeks.  I coached an 8 year old baseball game (obviously outdoors) last night in a mask because I live in a blue city in a red state.  Politics and stupid CDC recommendations.  There's zero doubt its a control thing with some.

No, my life didn't end.  But yes, it is stupid and has sucked ass.  I definitely wrung my hands over it.  

Of course it's a control thing with some.  

Sometimes I wear one more than I have to with my 6YO as a show of solidarity.  Her school mandates they still wear a mask indoors-classroom, library, art, etc. (not for recess or P.E. anymore because of the open spaces).  We can complain all we want but it's not going to change until next year.  She doesn't see that I don't wear one at work.  But sometimes from the walk from the car to the store, I'll still wear one.  From the car to the trailhead for family hike, I'll wear one.  At her dance recital the other day, I still wear one.  It's recommended, but not mandated.  But I do it to show her that it's not so bad.  It's one of the least annoying things that we can do in society.  If my 6YO can take it, so can grown men.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Of course it's a control thing with some.  

Sometimes I wear one more than I have to with my 6YO as a show of solidarity.  Her school mandates they still wear a mask indoors-classroom, library, art, etc. (not for recess or P.E. anymore because of the open spaces).  We can complain all we want but it's not going to change until next year.  She doesn't see that I don't wear one at work.  But sometimes from the walk from the car to the store, I'll still wear one.  From the car to the trailhead for family hike, I'll wear one.  At her dance recital the other day, I still wear one.  It's recommended, but not mandated.  But I do it to show her that it's not so bad.  It's one of the least annoying things that we can do in society.  If my 6YO can take it, so can grown men.  

Exactly. Is it that fuckng hard? Shit, we could not fly in the Middle East during MERS and SARS without wearing one. I need to wear one for my next flight to Kenya, the entire flight. 

But Corches.

• Hook 'Em 4

Surgeons, pilots, and commercial painters ain't nothing but sheep following the orders of their government to their detriment.  I'm going SCUBA diving next week and I ain't wearing no queer-ass mask down there.  If a man can't be free at 50m, where can he be free?

Wearing one unnecessarily in your car or biking is just as much virtual signaling as not wearing one in HEB or Twin Liquors that clearly has a fucking sign "Wear a fucking mask in here asshole, you'll be shopping for whiskey for all of 7 minutes...be a fucking human being."  This virus has always been about common sense and both sides rushed to shed theirs as quick as possible.  When I'm around fat people who breathe out of their mouth and talk real loud, I'm gonna mask up.  When I'm distanced from people and in open spaces, I'm gonna take the mask off.  It was never about people per square mile, it was always about people per square foot.  And for some reason, people in small towns love to shove their asses into tight spaces and talk non-fucking-stop.  

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yup. People complaining about wearing masks has been fucking hilarious this whole pandemic. God, this country is so fucking pathetic sometimes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Also, first flight in a year...I have the ultimate workaround for you pussies who can't wear a mask for a 90 minute flight.  

From the Glengarry school of scotch and pandemic mitigation.

A.B.D.  

A.  Always 

B.  Be

D.  Drinking

You're allowed to have your mask off as long as you're eating/drinking on domestic flight.  So as soon as they begin beverage service, I'm ordering non-stop until we begin final descent.  There is nothing more 'Murica than no mask, half in the bag, and touchin down in Texas to my Kid Rock medley on my Made in America Denon headphones.

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yup. People complaining about wearing masks has been fucking hilarious this whole pandemic. God, this country is so fucking pathetic sometimes

People complaining about people not wearing masks has been equally hilarious. But Karens gonna Karen

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

If my 6YO can take it, so can grown men.  

Of course we can all "take it."  I've had no problem wearing one for a while.  I probably throw one on 3-4 times a day.  Wore it into the bank at lunch.  About to wear one walking into the gym later this afternoon.  I will wear one to my haircut tomorrow.  Will wear one to coach again tonight.  I'm not an anti masker.  I choose to do things for safety and for the comfort of others.  I have not fought wearing a mask or tried to find any workaround.

But you reach the stage where you know its ridiculous, and you feel like people are telling you what to do so they can make a statement.  And I wonder how long that will go on. I don't think the standard for allowing people to unreasonably tell you what to do should be "how hard is it for you to just do what I'm telling you to do?"  

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Also, first flight in a year...I have the ultimate workaround for you pussies who can't wear a mask for a 90 minute flight.  

A.B.D.  

A.  Always 

B.  Be

D.  Drinking

You're allowed to have your mask off as long as you're eating/drinking on domestic flight.  So as soon as they begin beverage service, I'm ordering non-stop until we begin final descent.  There is nothing more 'Murica than no mask, half in the bag, and touchin down in Texas to my Kid Rock medley on my Made in America Denon headphones.

This is exactly what I've been doing. I've noticed United flights attendants by default give you two mini bottles now. Good way to limit exposure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree.  I think the non-mask policing is ridiculous.  It seems to have died down here in Austin, where it was at peak levels around Feb/Mar.  But now we're seeing the other side of that swaying lever...now it's the over-policing of people wearing the masks

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I agree.  I think the non-mask policing is ridiculous.  It seems to have died down here in Austin, where it was at peak levels around Feb/Mar.  But now we're seeing the other side of that swaying lever...now it's the over-policing of people wearing the masks

What I'm talking about is not shaming, its actual government ordinances.  I've said many times I don't GAF what someone does.  If I saw someone 5 years ago, or 5 years from now, wearing a mask, I wouldn't GAF.  You do you.  But don't force your shit on me.  I've played by the rules.  I've been courteous.  I got fully vaxxed at the very first opportunity I had.  

Don't expect me to keep doing unreasonable practices just because "how hard is it, really?"  I think a year ago, everyone would've said "of course none of this is going to be permanent.  This is just a serious pandemic."  But now you start to get "so what if its permanent or longer lasting than necessary?  How hard is it really?"

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

^

Mainly agreed.  I think we're just gonna have to limp to June/July (that's what she said) under the annoying status quo .  Over the summer, finish up vaccinations, ramp up back to normal.  I think by 1 September, no more state or local municipal mask mandates (especially for schools and large buildings).  But leave it to private enterprise---your accounting firm employer or your local grocer or local hospital or local shoe cobbler wants you to wear masks inside...they post it...and you either abide or go elsewhere.  

Those who refuse compliance can cause a kerfuffle and point fingers at the compliant sheep.  Those who feel the need to double mask in the parking lot of a hike-n-bike trail can also be mocked.  I can't walk in without shoes to some places.  I can't bring my handgun into some places.  I can't park in the space closest to my grocer because it's reserved for the disabled.  Some of those are state mandates, some are local ordinances, some are the wishes of the private business.  I can abide or I can go elsewhere.  It'll be that way with masks.  I sometimes avoid the Hancock Center HEB by campus because they don't give out disposable bags.  And they won't let me bring my own in during Covid (understandable, but I don't want to pay 25 cents to carry 8 things out when a 1 cent plastic bag would do just fine).  So I skip it even though it has great ass eye candy.  

What're we talking about again? 

19 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Surprising from a guy so famous for relentless intellectual consistency and rigor....

Most of 'em aren't likely to do it anyway.  My guess is that he doesn't change much.  Just like any public personality, or really anyone outside of a person's immediate circle of contacts, does, at all.

21 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

The CDC fucks it up again...shocking

The entire vaccinated side of the graphic should not have a mask

There is no data, and ZERO plausibility, to justify a vaccinated person wearing a mask in an indoor gathering.

The chance vaccinated people have symptomatic covid or even asymptomatic PCR carriage at a level high enough to infect is ABSURDLY LOW

The further delta that comes from wearing a cloth mask with imperfect compliance is LOW

Combining an ABSURDLY low with a low number and you get an ABSURDLY low possible upper bound theoretical (but absolutely unproven) benefit

At some point, the precautional principle is gone.  You gotta have actual reasons to justify restrictions.

Probably the motivation for this is the idea that 'no one will know who got vax'. but they should say that explicitly and not sanction the idea that it does anything

C475F8D5-7828-41D8-9FC7-AF4C4A4C9BA3.jpeg

Ben Shapiro?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You’ve shamed the style of masks people wore at times

“I don’t understand why people just don’t spend for this N95 knock off comes with 3 filters”
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

A.B.D.  

A.  Always 

B.  Be

D.  Drinking

One “bro” did this on my first flight after I was fully vaxxed. He ordered a drink and took his mask off. He pretended to sip every once in a while. The flight attendant had to warn him multiple times. He didn’t give a fuck. 

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

What I'm talking about is not shaming, its actual government ordinances.  I've said many times I don't GAF what someone does.  If I saw someone 5 years ago, or 5 years from now, wearing a mask, I wouldn't GAF.  You do you.  But don't force your shit on me.  I've played by the rules.  I've been courteous.  I got fully vaxxed at the very first opportunity I had.  

Don't expect me to keep doing unreasonable practices just because "how hard is it, really?"  I think a year ago, everyone would've said "of course none of this is going to be permanent.  This is just a serious pandemic."  But now you start to get "so what if its permanent or longer lasting than necessary?  How hard is it really?"

1 billion percent this. @Dahobbsshot me the bird twice for making this point. I’m sure he will be along to shoot you a bird soon too. Oh, wait, no he won’t. 
the idea that this thing gets extended into the fall when we are literally, in late April sending back vaccines is absurd. We are maybe a month away from full on FAFO. 
if you got vaxed it’s like 1 in 1,000,000 you die. If you didn’t and you die too fucking bad- you had your chance. 
and by the way- I never have conversations where I tell people what to do. 
move had a dozen conversations in the last 2 weeks about getting vaxed. I love you and will feel sad if bad shot happens to you Guy/gal but just get the shot or you are bringing it on yourself. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

1 billion percent this. @Dahobbsshot me the bird twice for making this point. I’m sure he will be along to shoot you a bird soon too. Oh, wait, no he won’t. 
the idea that this thing gets extended into the fall when we are literally, in late April sending back vaccines is absurd. We are maybe a month away from full on FAFO. 
if you got vaxed it’s like 1 in 1,000,000 you die. If you didn’t and you die too fucking bad- you had your chance. 
and by the way- I never have conversations where I tell people what to do. 
move had a dozen conversations in the last 2 weeks about getting vaxed. I love you and will feel sad if bad shot happens to you Guy/gal but just get the shot or you are bringing it on yourself. 

I shot you the bird for being a whiny bitch. You've been denying the seriousness of this from the beginning. 500k deaths later and you're still arguing the same bullshit. No shoes, no shirt, no mask, no fucking service. Deal with it asshole. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You’ve shamed the style of masks people wore at times

“I don’t understand why people just don’t spend for this N95 knock off comes with 3 filters”

The way Greenspoint lives his professional life in the medical field is the most extreme I’ve even heard of anywhere. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away