Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

What's the logic though? Just clouds of Covid hovering around everywhere? Being outdoors is the best place anyone can be.
No clue. It took a while to get everyone masked up and it'll take a while to unwind that same thought process I guess.

I'm vaccinated, but I still wear my mask when I walk my kids up to school. I do it mostly because everyone else is doing it and they asked us to back in Nov when we went back.

But we're far enough along that most Texans are thisclose to their second shot if they want it. 2-3 weeks from now, we should stop thinking that it's impolite to not wear a mask.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We wear 'em to the trailhead where people tend to congregate.  Then take them off once we're on the trail.  

I just re-upped my swim membership at Gregory, and campus still has some pretty strict mask guidelines, even some outdoor spaces.  But I was pleased that at least I can take my mask off while swimming laps.  

Just use one of these. 

image.png.21a9e2246164ed25207ad8c48dfcfa5b.png

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Triple mask and goggles.

27 minutes ago, Okie State said:

What are the rules like in Colorado? Going there in June.

And butt plugs so you don’t fart out the ronas...just to be safe.

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We wear 'em to the trailhead where people tend to congregate.  Then take them off once we're on the trail.  

I just re-upped my swim membership at Gregory, and campus still has some pretty strict mask guidelines, even some outdoor spaces.  But I was pleased that at least I can take my mask off while swimming laps.  

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:
11 minutes ago, smoky said:
A lot. They're just not as prevalent in this state.

What's the logic though? Just clouds of Covid hovering around everywhere? Being outdoors is the best place anyone can be.

They are universal outdoors in the Bay Area and people will be openly hostile to you if they catch you without one. We’ve known there is no science behind it for months now, but the prevailing logic has been that the cost-benefit was worth it. Maybe during the winter surge, but certainly not for some time. 

Derek Thompson from the Atlantic wrote an article about ending the mask mandate outdoors that basically read my mind. Across urban areas like DC, SF and NYC, people dutifully mask up as they walk alone in the sidewalk and then promptly do away with masks and they eat or drink together (increasingly indoors). This is the exact opposite of what we should be doing - it’s like wearing your seatbelt while you are parked but taking it off when you drive. 

I really do think people will have a hard time with this development in SF. It’s more of a social norm at this point than anything based on a public health objective. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I get that CDC guidelines are ultra conservative, but how many people are wearing a mask outdoors while biking, hiking, walking, or running? I see someone occasionally and assume they're a crazy person.

You talking about here in Portland? There are people who wear them in cars.

CDC still messing this up, imo...they should be drawing consistent distinction between unvaccinated and fully vaccinated at all levels. The fully vaccinated need an elite color code, unshared with the filthy unvaccinated lower class*. 

Ez_nPfrWEAEKPm-?format=jpg&name=large

*exceptions for people with contraindications or poor access to vaccines. you cool. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

They are universal outdoors in the Bay Area and people will be openly hostile to you if they catch you without one. We’ve known there is no science behind it for months now, but the prevailing logic has been that the cost-benefit was worth it. Maybe during the winter surge, but certainly not for some time. 

I was in the Bay Area last week for work and its true. Walking outside on the sidewalk with no one near me, I was not wearing a mask and there were comments from people across the street walking. 

19 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Derek Thompson from the Atlantic wrote an article about ending the mask mandate outdoors that basically read my mind. Across urban areas like DC, SF and NYC, people dutifully mask up as they walk alone in the sidewalk and then promptly do away with masks and they eat or drink together (increasingly indoors). This is the exact opposite of what we should be doing - it’s like wearing your seatbelt while you are parked but taking it off when you drive. 

I really do think people will have a hard time with this development in SF. It’s more of a social norm at this point than anything based on a public health objective. 

I wear a mask whenever I'm in San Francisco.  Has nothing to do with Covid-19, I just can't stand the smell of human shit on a humid sidewalk.  

4 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I was in the Bay Area last week for work and its true. Walking outside on the sidewalk with no one near me, I was not wearing a mask and there were comments from people across the street walking. 

Telling people "Fuck off, mind your own business" is as American as Apple Pie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

There is some virtue signaling to it for sure. It’s the yin to the yang of the folks that view masks anywhere as an assault on freedom and all that. It’s sad how politicized it’s gotten on #bothsides. We are a dumb country.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, smoky said:
A lot. They're just not as prevalent in this state.

image.gif.77c45d6d9948678a6bb8a3cff8e5baea.gif

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

CDC still messing this up, imo...they should be drawing consistent distinction between unvaccinated and fully vaccinated at all levels. The fully vaccinated need an elite color code, unshared with the filthy unvaccinated lower class*. 

Ez_nPfrWEAEKPm-?format=jpg&name=large

*exceptions for people with contraindications or poor access to vaccines. you cool. 

Who has poor access at this point? It’s walk-in at almost every pharmacy and grocery store in DFW and drive through with no wait at fair park. Hell Dallas Fire and EMS are setting up to do in home vax for home-bound folks. If you haven’t had at least one vax by now it’s on you. If you have end stage AIDS or just had a BM transplant well I feel for you but I didn’t wear a mask for your safety prior to Covid and I’m not going to keep wearing one for you now

• Hook 'Em 4

57 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

CDC still messing this up, imo...they should be drawing consistent distinction between unvaccinated and fully vaccinated at all levels. The fully vaccinated need an elite color code, unshared with the filthy unvaccinated

If only there was document certifying one is fully vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Who has poor access at this point? It’s walk-in at almost every pharmacy and grocery store in DFW and drive through with no wait at fair park. Hell Dallas Fire and EMS are setting up to do in home vax for home-bound folks. If you haven’t had at least one vax by now it’s on you. If you have end stage AIDS or just had a BM transplant well I feel for you but I didn’t wear a mask for your safety prior to Covid and I’m not going to keep wearing one for you now

It was mostly just an asterisk to a joke, and while I generally agree, I don't think that it's a stretch at all to suggest that there are certainly inequities in healthcare access, and those inequities are manifest in vax access to a certain extent.  See below analysis from CDC through Mar 1. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7012e1.htm?

Summary

What is already known about this topic?

COVID-19 has disproportionally affected racial/ethnic minority groups and persons who are economically and socially disadvantaged. Ensuring equitable COVID-19 vaccine coverage is a national priority.

What is added by this report?

In the first 2.5 months of the U.S. vaccination program, high social vulnerability counties had lower COVID-19 vaccination coverage than did low social vulnerability counties. Although vaccination coverage estimates by county-level social vulnerability varied widely among states, disparities in vaccination coverage were observed in the majority of states.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Continued monitoring of vaccination coverage by social vulnerability metrics is critical for developing tailored, local vaccine administration and outreach efforts to reduce COVID-19 vaccination inequities.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It was mostly just an asterisk to a joke, and while I generally agree, I don't think that it's a stretch at all to suggest that there are certainly inequities in healthcare access, and those inequities are manifest in vax access to a certain extent.  See below analysis from CDC through Mar 1. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7012e1.htm?

Summary

What is already known about this topic?

COVID-19 has disproportionally affected racial/ethnic minority groups and persons who are economically and socially disadvantaged. Ensuring equitable COVID-19 vaccine coverage is a national priority.

What is added by this report?

In the first 2.5 months of the U.S. vaccination program, high social vulnerability counties had lower COVID-19 vaccination coverage than did low social vulnerability counties. Although vaccination coverage estimates by county-level social vulnerability varied widely among states, disparities in vaccination coverage were observed in the majority of states.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Continued monitoring of vaccination coverage by social vulnerability metrics is critical for developing tailored, local vaccine administration and outreach efforts to reduce COVID-19 vaccination inequities.

Again, need to set up a station at Lamar and Rundberg -- offer $10 cash to anyone getting a jab.  Hell, set it up at one of the outdoor taquerias on a Friday night -- you'll get dozens of jabs in.

Go to where the people are.  Get it done.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, need to set up a station at Lamar and Rundberg -- offer $10 cash to anyone getting a jab.  Hell, set it up at one of the outdoor taquerias on a Friday night -- you'll get dozens of jabs in.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This will be the next step.  Need to get that next ten percent jabbed.  Whatever it takes, and I will support it.  Be a good use of government funds for a change.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Incentivizing vaccinations is solid.

But there is a sticky wicket - what will prevent a person from getting the vaccine multiple times since we have no database of who has already received the vaccine? Do we care?

Create a database for the incentive.  Joe Blow, TDL 123456 got his $50 voucher on April 27th.  Then when he tries to get another voucher, he's turned down.

But honestly....IDGAF.  If you're dumb enough to keep getting shots (that may make you feel like shit, now that you have a robust immune response) to make a few bucks, then I'm not gonna stop you.  But there should still be clear warnings, and you sign a representation that you haven't gotten a vax before.  That way, if you have a reaction, it's on you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

But there is a sticky wicket - what will prevent a person from getting the vaccine multiple times since we have no database of who has already received the vaccine? Do we care?

actually we do - it's a reportable disease and therefore vaccinations are tracked by the state and local public health departments and then reported to the CDC. If you show up for another vaccine just to get paid they will see that you have already had the shot. even if you went through all the trouble to commit fraud to be someone else is it really worth it?

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

"I have a confession to make.  I don't very much about vaccines.  But I do know people.  And I like you people.  I really do.  And if you people come to me.  And you say to me, that you have something important to say about vaccines.  I'm gonna listen.  Thank you very much."  

Edited by Lobo

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/04/27/991173625/west-virginia-will-pay-young-people-100-to-get-vaccinated-against-covid-19

Young people who get the COVID-19 vaccine in West Virginia won't just gain protection against a deadly virus — they'll also make money.

The state will offer a $100 savings bond to everyone between the ages of 16 and 35 who gets vaccinated, Gov. Jim Justice, a Republican, announced at a Monday briefing

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

The CDC fucks it up again...shocking

The entire vaccinated side of the graphic should not have a mask

There is no data, and ZERO plausibility, to justify a vaccinated person wearing a mask in an indoor gathering.

The chance vaccinated people have symptomatic covid or even asymptomatic PCR carriage at a level high enough to infect is ABSURDLY LOW

The further delta that comes from wearing a cloth mask with imperfect compliance is LOW

Combining an ABSURDLY low with a low number and you get an ABSURDLY low possible upper bound theoretical (but absolutely unproven) benefit

At some point, the precautional principle is gone.  You gotta have actual reasons to justify restrictions.

Probably the motivation for this is the idea that 'no one will know who got vax'. but they should say that explicitly and not sanction the idea that it does anything

C475F8D5-7828-41D8-9FC7-AF4C4A4C9BA3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Who fucking cares?  Figure out the trade off between hellfire missiles and vaccine incentives, and implement the offset.  Win Win.  /NoCRthatshowit'sdone

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

The Marvel Universe taught me that this will create a Super Hero/ Super Villain. 

• Haha 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away