Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Sounds pretty aggy my dude

Show me the data that shows either have had massive affects. Nothing

points to that being effective. There was always going to be one thing that would effectively get us out of this and that’s a vaccine. And now we have it, it’s a miracle, and we are so fucking stupid we can’t even get it in peoples arms. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

E0Bke-PXEAYqzi0?format=jpg&name=small

Just think how many people take his word for gospel.

“Hey hunny did you see savannah Guthrie said she can walk her kid home from the bus stop but her kid had to stay masked and Fauci said nothing about the kid can take the mask off too”?

So fucking stupid. That kid took their mask off the second he got off the bus. Just like every kid in America, as they should.

🤣🤣

This douchebag is part of Biden's team.  And yes, conservative media was all over the Cuomo nursing home scandal last summer but the mainstream media couldn't be bothered because...well, you know.

In fact, if it wasn't for the courageous New York AG, Cuomo's administration would have gotten away with it.

When the police spend their time doing kick ass choreography instead of murdering civilians, I'd call that a "developed country", not developing.  

Show me the data that shows either have had massive affects. Nothing points to that being effective. There was always going to be one thing that would effectively get us out of this and that’s a vaccine. And now we have it, it’s a miracle, and we are so fucking stupid we can’t even get it in peoples arms. 

There have been multiple meta analyses published in the medical literature that show a benefit to face masks, social distancing, or both. I’m not sure what more you could want.

Unless your keyword is “massive effects” and you are unimpressed by interventions with modest effects. The pandemic has killed 574,000 people in the U.S., so even if masks and distancing combined for a mere 10% reduction in mortality (which I think most would agree is low), that’s around 57,400 lives saved.

I agree that vaccines were always going to be the home run, but that doesn’t detract from the role that masks and distancing have played over the first year of COVID.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I shot you the bird for being a whiny bitch. You've been denying the seriousness of this from the beginning. 500k deaths later and you're still arguing the same bullshit. No shoes, no shirt, no mask, no fucking service. Deal with it asshole. 

Eh I’m about a month from not wearing a mask anywhere except an airport/airplane. Stupid fucks have had time to get vaxed. If they haven’t by then fuck em 

• Hook 'Em 2

^

I agree.  I'll be generous, and give 'em an extra 30 days (given that you really shouldn't be considered fully vaxed until 14 days after your final dose).  If you aren't all shot up and clear, what happens to you after 30 June is on you (obviously if you can't have the shots for medical or religious reasons, we will do our best to help you).  And we'll all abide the requests of private businesses on private property.  If I can't show up drunk and grab yoga pant ass at Trader Joe's, I guess wearing a mask as well isn't that hard to do.  

People who have zero fucking scientific understanding of the virus are suddenly medical experts when it comes to the vaccination makeup.  

I heard this earlier this week, "I'm not gonna get the vaccine until I see how this whole thing shakes out." 

Other person, "Until what shakes out?  The vaccination process?" 

"No, until I see how Covid shakes out."

WTF?  The virus that's killed 600k Americans?  The one that's eradicating India as we speak?  You wanna take a "wait and see" approach to this big mystery?  The last 15 months of 24/7 coverage wasn't enough for you?  You wanna wait and see what Doctors Drake Ramoray and Hawkeye Pierce have to say about the matter before you make any rash decisions?

I'm guessing this woman is also torn on other unsettled topics like gravity, clean water, and oxygen.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

There have been multiple meta analyses published in the medical literature that show a benefit to face masks, social distancing, or both. I’m not sure what more you could want.

Unless your keyword is “massive effects” and you are unimpressed by interventions with modest effects. The pandemic has killed 574,000 people in the U.S., so even if masks and distancing combined for a mere 10% reduction in mortality (which I think most would agree is low), that’s around 57,400 lives saved.

I agree that vaccines were always going to be the home run, but that doesn’t detract from the role that masks and distancing have played over the first year of COVID.

I’m speaking to the idea that the states who opened up/ got rid of mask mandates and in general didn’t hunker don and prepare for the end of times ended up with outcomes pretty similar to everyone else. Remember all the blood The governors of Ga, FL and TX were going to have on their hands?  Yeah- didn’t happen. 
Cuomo, who was seriously entertaining 7 figure book deals did worse than anyone else out there. That’s what I was and remain skeptical about. 
Now that the vaccines are here masks should have basically no role going forward. As someone else said upthread the messaging game should be get your shots and burn your mask- you don’t need it anymore. It’s the only way back to normalcy. 

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Eh I’m about a month from not wearing a mask anywhere except an airport/airplane. Stupid fucks have had time to get vaxed. If they haven’t by then fuck em 

I don't care if someone elects not to wear a mask at this point when given that option. I do care when someone bitches incessantly about ever having to have worn a mask and about businesses and even governmental entities electing to still require masks for certain activities during this transition period. It is about the most minor inconvenience in the fucking world. If having to wear pants isn't an unreasonable restriction on your freedom, than neither are masks. Frankly, until a business is satisfied that every customer that comes in is either vaccinated or chosen not to get vaccinated, I think it is borderline negligence not to have that minor restriction. 

Edited by Dahobbs

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Frankly, until a business is satisfied that every customer that comes in is either vaccinated or chosen not to get vaccinated

I think it would be reasonable to assume this is the case by June 1. If you want to really be conservative July 1. For the past 2 weeks you can literally walk in for your first dose at scores of locations in DFW. I know of no areas in Texas or nationwide reporting a lack of vaccines.

If you get JnJ tomorrow in 3 weeks you are good. If you get one of the other 2, in 3 weeks you have significant immunity and are getting your second dose which means you are a couple of weeks from full immunity

If you haven’t done that by now and aren’t going in the next couple of days fuck you

eta pants are a societal norm. I guess no more or less arbitrary than face coverings. But mask wearing is not a new societal norm, it served a purpose. The need for that purpose has passed. I don’t care how minor an inconvenience it might be. I wear them in the OR for a reason. There’s no longer a science based reason to wear them in most other places

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't care if someone elects not to wear a mask at this point when given that option. I do care when someone bitches incessantly about ever having to have worn a mask and about businesses and even governmental entities electing to still require masks for certain activities during this transition period. It is about the most minor inconvenience in the fucking world. If having to wear pants isn't an unreasonable restriction on your freedom, than neither are masks. Frankly, until a business is satisfied that every customer that comes in is either vaccinated or chosen not to get vaccinated, I think it is borderline negligence not to have that minor restriction. 

well you in particular breathe out your asshole so we need you wearing pants if you don't mind.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I think it would be reasonable to assume this is the case by June 1. If you want to really be conservative July 1. For the past 2 weeks you can literally walk in for your first dose at scores of locations in DFW. I know of no areas in Texas or nationwide reporting a lack of vaccines.

If you get JnJ tomorrow in 3 weeks you are good. If you get one of the other 2, in 3 weeks you have significant immunity and are getting your second dose which means you are a couple of weeks from full immunity

If you haven’t done that by now and aren’t going in the next couple of days fuck you

eta pants are a societal norm. I guess no more or less arbitrary than face coverings. But mask wearing is not a new societal norm, it served a purpose. The need for that purpose has passed. I don’t care how minor an inconvenience it might be. I wear them in the OR for a reason. There’s no longer a science based reason to wear them in most other places

If you're vaccinated, I totally get that. But both private businesses and the government have to deal with a large portion of the population that refuses to get vaccinated and, importantly, the small percentage that can't. So, I think it is entirely reasonable for them to treat everyone as if they haven't been vaccinated for the time being. Ideally, you could just check vaccination cards, but we are early in the process so I'm not surprised those workflows haven't been figured out yet. Really though all I'm saying is that a business gets to dictate those terms, including mask requirements. If that is what they choose to do right now, either don't visit the business or wear a mask. But you don't need to bitch about it all the time. 

@dcar00 you are still mostly an idiot, but I appreciate that you contribute to baseball threads. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

So, I think it is entirely reasonable for them to treat everyone as if they haven't been vaccinated for the time being

I completely disagree. You need to give a reasonable amount of time for everyone to get vaccinated. Then you need to assume everyone is and act accordingly. A reasonable time for that is mid summer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I completely disagree. You need to give a reasonable amount of time for everyone to get vaccinated. Then you need to assume everyone is and act accordingly. A reasonable time for that is mid summer

It actually sounds like you agree. I said for the time being, i.e., now. You sound mid summer, i.e., not now. So, what are you disagreeing with? 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

It actually sounds like you agree. I said for the time being, i.e., now. You sound mid summer, i.e., not now. So, what are you disagreeing with? 

Maybe I am misunderstanding your stance. Or you are being pedantic. You seem to be arguing for a nebulous “for the time being”. I have consistently stated my timeline and why it is my timeline. When does your “for the time being” end?

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

No one cares about those people.

No, but care about the people that for whatever reason have legitimate barriers to getting the vaccines, and remain exposed to community transmission because some healthy chuckle fuck is bought into anti-science. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding your stance. Or you are being pedantic. You seem to be arguing for a nebulous “for the time being”. I have consistently stated my timeline and why it is my timeline. When does your “for the time being” end?

I think you are misunderstanding my stance. I mean literally for the near term, like what businesses have done since vaccinations began until nowish. Your timeframe sounds reasonable to me. I have no issue with that. 

Also, don't mistake me, I'm not saying that businesses should require masks, even now. I'm saying I understand if they do given the high number of unvaccinated at the moment. And, personally, I'm more worried about the people that can't get vaccinated as opposed to the people that refuse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm more worried about the people that can't get vaccinated

I can see this, but the reality is there are way more vaccines than people who want to be vaccinated at this point. While I respect their rights to not be vaccinated, ai just don’t have any sympathy for them at this point and I’m certainly not going to base my behavior on their comfort/convenience 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No, but care about the people that for whatever reason have legitimate barriers to getting the vaccines, and remain exposed to community transmission because some healthy chuckle fuck is bought into anti-science. 

Tell me who these people are. If they are so isolated they can’t be vaccinated at this point, they should be isolated enough not to be at risk for covid. Also we are getting to the point where diminishing marginal returns come into play. We can mask and socially distance forever if you are that concerned. It’s nonsense 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Tell me who these people are. If they are so isolated they can’t be vaccinated at this point, they should be isolated enough not to be at risk for covid. Also we are getting to the point where diminishing marginal returns come into play. We can mask and socially distance forever if you are that concerned. It’s nonsense 

So, my understanding is that for other vaccines a small percentage of the population cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons. I've assumed, but I guess don't know, that the covid vaccines are no different. Are you saying that isn't the case? 

At any rate, I don't think your conclusion is wrong. We can't and shouldn't do things like social distancing indefinitely. But we've really just gotten to point that vaccines are readily available to pretty much everyone. I myself just got my second shot this week, and I would have loved it earlier but it wasn't possible. Mid summer sounds like a reasonable target given our vaccination rates. Until then, things like masks provide protection to those that can't or have not yet had the opportunity to vaccinate. 

59 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If you're vaccinated, I totally get that. But both private businesses and the government have to deal with a large portion of the population that refuses to get vaccinated and, importantly, the small percentage that can't. So, I think it is entirely reasonable for them to treat everyone as if they haven't been vaccinated for the time being. Ideally, you could just check vaccination cards, but we are early in the process so I'm not surprised those workflows haven't been figured out yet. Really though all I'm saying is that a business gets to dictate those terms, including mask requirements. If that is what they choose to do right now, either don't visit the business or wear a mask. But you don't need to bitch about it all the time. 

@dcar00 you are still mostly an idiot, but I appreciate that you contribute to baseball threads. 

thanks.  I appreciate that you are mostly an idiot and that you contribute to the covid threads.

a private business can do what it wants.  they can make you wear a sombrero(no racist).   Is someone on this thread bitching about a business requiring a mask?

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So, my understanding is that for other vaccines a small percentage of the population cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons.

There will always be a small percentage who cannot take a given vaccine. I’m not sure which people would be unable to take the mRNA vaccines or why but surely they exist. We don’t modify our lives to protect this subset from other diseases so I don’t know why we should for covid. 

The number of people for whom the vaccine does not confer immunity is probably higher than the number that have true medical contraindications and we don’t modify behavior to protect them. 

Somewhere in the clusterfuck that was the management of the pandemic a substantial portion of the population got the idea that the goal should be to try to get the risk to zero for everyone.  I’m not saying that’s you but it’s out there. I blame Twitter 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I am not suggesting that you or I should mask or distance forever, I am suggesting that we need dumbasses who refuse to get shots for half assed reasons to step up and help those that may have a different set of circumstances. Thing is that we, as a society, don't have to tell those people with immune disorders, or the variety of other conditions that may reduce vax efficacy, to isolate and lock themselves away from their friends and family and the rest of society. If only we can get some level of optimized coverage, by getting the the people that have shit excuses for not getting the shot on board, we can all get there together. But I do agree that we are about to throw all the shit to the wayside and free ball it, as we should.  Just sucks that some people can't be bothered to step up and help us all get across the finish line together.   

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thanks.  I appreciate that you are mostly an idiot and that you contribute to the covid threads.

a private business can do what it wants.  they can make you wear a sombrero(no racist).   Is someone on this thread bitching about a business requiring a mask?

Hey now...Captaintaint is a lot of things, but he posted in the Grateful Dead thread so he has some redeeming qualities. 

tumblr_o1osraNe7K1r0320so2_500.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away