Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That seems like an appropriately cautious statement. If things continue like that are, we are good to go. If a new and aggressive variant arises, we may have to reevaluate. I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with that. 

Every post of yours is a variation of “I can’t understand how anybody could possibly think differently than me”.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/vaccines-faq

Do I still need to wear a mask and practice physical distancing after I am vaccinated?

Yes. Until we substantially reduce community transmission of SARS-CoV-2, and see hospitalizations and deaths dramatically decrease, we still need to wear masks and practice physical distancing even after vaccination. The vaccine is not 100% effective and we still do not know if someone who was vaccinated can develop asymptomatic infection and transmit the virus. Although the phase 3 clinical trials were designed to determine whether vaccinated individuals are protected against disease, it will also be important to understand whether vaccinated individuals are less likely to transmit the virus. This is likely but not ensured. If a vaccine not only protects against disease but reduces transmission, and continues to do so for many years, we are likely to reach a state of herd protection when masks and physical distancing will no longer be required. Herd protection is achieved when a sufficient proportion of the population is made non-infectious through vaccination or natural infection so that the likelihood of an infectious individual transmitting to a susceptible individual is very low.

Well. Vaccine not 100% effective. Lock it down fellas. FAQ out front should have told ya. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I think one contributing factor to this mask show he’s putting on, is that he and his team are being extremely cautious due to the his age and physical frailty. They want his risk of contracting it to be as close to zero as possible.

Lmao you always find ways to bring this board just a little bit closer to texags. Bravo sir!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Every post of yours is a variation of “I can’t understand how anybody could possibly think differently than me”.

? Do you think schools should open even if the virus mutates and becomes deadly to children? Or would it be prudent to change our actions in that unlikely event? I simply don't get the concern about acknowledging what we don't know. And I absolutely believe that schools should open unless something drastic changes. 

I'll add, I absolutely understand how people may think differently than me on many subjects. They may have different priorities. And I recognize that there is often room for reasonable disagreement. But, I also believe that some thinking is objectively unreasonable. 

Edited by Dahobbs

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Sweet baby Christ. Because he is vaccinated he doesn’t need to wear a mask outdoors or indoors with other vaccinated people according to the CDC guidelines. That is true. HOWEVER. (This is where new information comes in that makes the previous simple idea a bit more complicated). He is the leader of the free world in a ongoing pandemic. Through studies, masks have proven to slow the spread of droplets and thus the virus. He is wearing a mask to set a good example for the simple rubes at home and abroad.  

You think he’s wearing a mask to convince those who aren’t wearing a mask(the simple rubes) to wear one?

I’m sorry, but that isn’t going to work on a single simple rube who hasn’t worn a mask for the past 14 months. But what might work is for them to see a 78 year old man who is fully vaccinated return to normal life. Or at least return to the part of life the CDC says is ok. “Hey, it’s just a shot, and the POTUS took it and now he doesn’t worry about Covid.”

Or it can be “Hey, look the POTUS got the shot and he’s still scared of Covid.  Wonder what the CDC is telling him that they aren’t telling us? Why would I go get a shot that my my rube friends tell me is dangerous if isn’t even going to allow me to get back to normal?”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

You think he’s wearing a mask to convince those who aren’t wearing a mask(the simple rubes) to wear one?

I’m sorry, but that isn’t going to work on a single simple rube who hasn’t worn a mask for the past 14 months. But what might work is for them to see a 78 year old man who is fully vaccinated return to normal life. Or at least return to the part of life the CDC says is ok. “Hey, it’s just a shot, and the POTUS took it and now he doesn’t worry about Covid.”

Or it can be “Hey, look the POTUS got the shot and he’s still scared of Covid.  Wonder what the CDC is telling him that they aren’t telling us? Why would I go get a shot that my my rube friends tell me is dangerous if isn’t even going to allow me to get back to normal?”

It's easier to hide his stroke with a mask. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

This is the state that was making high school track athletes wear masks during races. Until an athlete collapsed from a lack of oxygen. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/highschoolsports/2021/04/mask-rules-revised-for-oregon-high-school-runners-other-noncontact-outdoor-sports.html%3foutputType=amp

Oregon had been one of the only states in the U.S. to require masks for high school distance runners competing in track and cross country.

“I think it’s a step in the right direction, for sure,”

Well yeah! One of the only states that did this. I knew there was a reason that I didn't vote for her, well the reason was schools suck here so bad, that we might as well just tear down the school system here, but I can add that to the lists.

27 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I figured the message was that wearing a mask isn't a big deal and doesn't have to disrupt normal life. But, I agree that offering the carrot of a normal life with the vaccine would normally be an effective message. But the "rubes" you are describing aren't going to listen to Biden no matter what as he isn't the President, so it doesn't really matter. 

Edited by Dahobbs

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I looked her up expecting to see what you'd expect with the academic types.

But she's not half-bad, considering the depth of the pit her category entails.

7baEYxcZ_400x400.png

I mean, it could have turned out a lot more horrific.

Um, I've done much worse than that.

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I think one contributing factor to this mask show he’s putting on, is that he and his team are being extremely cautious due to the his age and physical frailty. They want his risk of contracting it to be as close to zero as possible.

I don't think so. He's in good shape. He's not a fat fucking piece of shit like Donald Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Lmao you always find ways to bring this board just a little bit closer to texags. Bravo sir!

In the video a couple pages back he told the interviewer, that he knew was vaccinated, that if he came closer to him he’d put his mask on. That is a straight up irrational fear of Covid. The fact that he is behaving this way gives interesting insight into how he and his administration view this currently. Essentially, zero risk is acceptable. 

The only way it makes any sense is that his doctors are concerned enough about him that they want his risk as close to zero as possible, for whatever reason.

18 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Reminds me of this guy...

73DB1070-4B40-448B-A3F3-6BEC8CCDFD20.jpeg

His march on the capitol is very similar to the march on rome - neither one was actually present for when it happened. They both stirred up crowds and sent them off to attack their nations capitol and watched from a distance until the dust settled. There's a concerning number of historical parallels to other fascist insurrection attempts - the biggest one being that the first one usually doesn't work, and it's the second one that gets your democracy. 

But I digress

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

His march on the capitol is very similar to the march on rome - neither one was actually present for when it happened. They both stirred up crowds and sent them off to attack their nations capitol and watched from a distance until the dust settled. There's a concerning number of historical parallels to other fascist insurrection attempts - the biggest one being that the first one usually doesn't work, and it's the second one that gets your democracy. 

But I digress

The Viking guy had a cooler hat. 

14 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I don't think so. He's in good shape. He's not a fat fucking piece of shit like Donald Trump.

Define “good”. Lol. He’s definitely not fat like Trump. 

17 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Yet he fell on his ass getting on the plane.

Of course that’s not an indicator of anything, but his mind isn’t all together all the time. I speak from self experience and know how that goes (or doesn’t). In fact both doofuses in question show those signs.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Not at all what I said - but don't let me stop your shit posting

Well you didn’t actually say anything. You just posted an out of date FAQ. Which is unsurprising. Nobody here actually expects you to come up with an original thought. 

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think this is true? Is it?

It’s true. Note outside chance. It’s really ducking remote. Like, remote enough that it shouldn’t factor into our decision making because we can’t ever turn this world into something that carries zero risk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s true. Note outside chance. It’s really ducking remote. Like, remote enough that it shouldn’t factor into our decision making because we can’t ever turn this world into something that carries zero risk. 

It's moreso that its such a miniscule effort to wear a facemask to bring 90% protection up to 99% protection. We're so fucking close to getting back to normal and containing COVID, why not use every tool in the toolbox to get there? Especially when there's a new aggy and new Indian variant that are more contagious

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, XYZ said:

What’s happening in India is the stuff of nightmares

Yeah, and the weird thing is, my friend's in-laws, the closer ones (sis-in-law, bro-in-law, wife's parents) are Christian, and they were being somewhat cautious in their services with masks, and they had small churches anyway given the situation, but the non-Christian religious gatherings, etc., according to him, were being run wide-open with no masks, no distancing, etc.  Another example of fuck around and find out. 

He was blaming Modi for it, and claimed that India's taskforce was saying that things needed to be shut down, masked up, etc. and Modi was ignoring them.  Not sure if that's accurate or not, but wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I also don't know of any school district whose school year opens in September.

Quick internet look says places like NYC, Boston, Minneapolis , Detroit, etc. open in early September., and they push into late June (to meet their 185 days), with a lot of bad weather days built in.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, up until just a few years ago...Illinois opened up just a few days before Labor Day weekend.  On a typical gregorian calendar, it was 8/29 or 8/30 or 8/31...something like that.  Barely in August.  And they'd go until the second week of June.  And no 'whole week of Thanksgiving' off either.  Something about some hills of snow as well.  

10 hours ago, Message Board User said:

JFC.  White House already hedging on all schools reopening.

I should note that to me, it's fucking weird when they talk about reopening, because I'm in Austin, and my kids have been back since last fall, but I digress.

If the authorities said "everything is going to be perfectly fine for all kids to come back to class this fall", and then between now (May) and September, we see new variants that maybe hit kids hard, people like you will lose your shit and bitch that the schools were going to be reopened.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

Great.  I don't know what's going to the more powerful, lingering threat---Coronavirus or Empowered Stupidity.  We could have been done with this thing in 18 months.  But nope?  Gotta play stupid games to win stupid diseases now.  Thanks America!  

Only good news is when the vaccinated just say "fuck it" and return back to complete normal by back-half of summer...we'll manage to call off another few hundred thousand stupid people.  You can get rid of a couple hundred thousand unwanteds in this country by building a $50bn wall.  Or you can just cough in public for free.  

Guest Lobo

I get it.  NYTimes has basically exhausted everything they can do in terms of Covid-19 coverage save for an in-app feature that allows you to click on which midtown Duane Reade you're in so it can direct you to the one right across the street to receive your vaccine shot.    

But the math checks out, no matter the politics.  We're stalling out just a few percentage points shy of herd sometime in early summer.  

to answer your second question---I didn't mean "done" in total.  But we could have been at herd immunity plus a margin of error.  Obviously international travel would still bring the virus in and out of the country.  But the fully vaccinated could have effectively been "done" mitigating.  Now we're gonna dick around for another 6 months with half-measures.

Edited by Lobo

17 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

People have stopped clicking on our articles. WE MUST PROVIDE MORE DOOM!

Just image the glee if there's ever any actual evidence of one of these long anticipated vaccine resistant variants.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The article had good information from various sources on the obstacles to developing a vaccine quickly. It wasn't so much a prediction as a list of obstacles and how we can overcome them ("But if there was any time to fast-track a vaccine, it is now. So Times Opinion asked vaccine experts how we could condense the timeline and get a vaccine in the next few months instead of years. Here’s how we might achieve the impossible."). If you click all the options to accelerate the timeline, you get vaccine availability in February 2021, which isn't all that off from when there was actual availability. If anything, I would think we'd be celebrating the accomplishment of navigating all of those obstacles and the little bit of luck that helped us through. 

It would also be a mistake to assume that just because an event happened (developing a vaccine quickly) that it was always likely to happen. If you purchase a lottery ticket, it would be correct to say that you have a close to 0% chance to win the jackpot. And, even if you happen to end up winning, it doesn't change the fact that your statistical chances of winning were incredibly low.  

55 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

do you have an answer?

Yeah. The NY Times has had a shitty track record on Covid predictions. Why should I believe anyone who's gone from Reporting News to Creating News so people will click?

They were wrong on Florida. They were wrong on Georgia. They were wrong on Texas. They were wrong on NY/California/Michigan. 

Here's a quick sample:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/24/opinion/coronavirus-covid-19-georgia-reopen.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage&fbclid=IwAR3__5mQ42KEhswU52jGQuw3G2cfnqtv6zFWfskNmuN4-KymEwespXzHocQ

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah. The NY Times has had a shitty track record on Covid predictions. Why should I believe anyone who's gone from Reporting News to Creating News so people will click?

They were wrong on Florida. They were wrong on Georgia. They were wrong on Texas. They were wrong on NY/California/Michigan. 

Here's a quick sample:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/24/opinion/coronavirus-covid-19-georgia-reopen.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage&fbclid=IwAR3__5mQ42KEhswU52jGQuw3G2cfnqtv6zFWfskNmuN4-KymEwespXzHocQ

ah, i see. you're confused.

i'll ask the question again because you clearly didn't understand when i asked it the first time around.

from the article you posted above, what specifically did you take issue with? 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

from the article you posted above, what specifically did you take issue with? 

Ah, I see you are confused. The NY times, throughout Covid, has used its editorial department to make predictions that don't come true and then state "well, things changed, something something mask mandate, something something variants, something Biden". 

Please post 1 prediction that the NYT has gotten correctly regarding Covid and I'll consider what they've written. Frankly, it's like predicting that Texas will win a NC. Everyone listens, but then when it doesn't happen, you say "well, so and so got hurt so that's why we got it wrong".

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Shaming and pressuring is the wrong approach and only causes people to dig in.

IMHO the best thing to say to someone like that is to simply ask them if they've talked to their doctor about it. If they haven't then suggest they ask him/her and leave it at that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Ah, I see you are confused. The NY times, throughout Covid, has used its editorial department to make predictions that don't come true and then state "well, things changed, something something mask mandate, something something variants, something Biden". 

Please post 1 prediction that the NYT has gotten correctly regarding Covid and I'll consider what they've written. Frankly, it's like predicting that Texas will win a NC. Everyone listens, but then when it doesn't happen, you say "well, so and so got hurt so that's why we got it wrong".

i've maybe read 3 NYT articles in the past 12 months, can't remember a single one.

but no worries, man. i know what i was asking was really hard stuff.

good effort, though.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, Message Board User said:

I have no research to back this up, but anecdotally I think there are a lot of people out there who are reveling in Covid 19, almost as if it's given their life meaning.

I also think that Trump was so hated that they are committed to doing the polar opposite of him...no matter how ridiculous.  

Biden still masking double-masking despite having been vaxxed.

Why does it matter what someone chooses to do?

My favorite part of everything so far has been the white conservatives in Texas a few years ago making fun of California ant-vaxxers to only become anti vaxxers themselves now. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away