Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

So, I've read most of this thread and a lot of the articles and other stuff.  I appreciate the variety of views and information, but I still feel extremely uninformed.  At least this group of idiots knows how to survive a pandemic while still making jokes about our trip through the twilight zone.

Based on my completely uninformed opinion, I have come to the conclusion that:

1 - We stay in our houses and away from each other for about 12 -16 months

or

2 - A large segment of the population is gonna get this thing

Am I wrong?  What portion of time do the Greenspoints of the world think we need to SIP for this thing to leave us alone?  Does anyone want to be the guinea pig for the vaccine?  

I get flattening the curve, but that just stretches the volume of infected over a longer period of time to keep from locking up the health care system.  Count me in the group wondering when our illustrious leadership will come up with a plan.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you want anyone to heed those warnings you better put em on the titties or ass.  

But the time I’ve gotten to bare titties and ass informing me the situation at someone’s house or apartment, good chance I’m rolling the dice regardless unless that message is blinking AIDS.

I think the word that you're looking for is 'redundant'...unless you meant to compliment my brethren.
Fuck. I'm a certified English teacher. I know what that word means. And yet, thanks to my poor attempt at clever wordplay, my brain fart reveals that I am, in fact, one of those millions of morons.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The highway project pretty much built suburbia, and made it relevant 

Well, that along with the feds making low-interest mortgages available as part of the GI Bill. It was both of those policies together along with Euclidean Zoning.

As an architect, I would think Onboard would be very familiar with this history. Maybe he's just playing dumb for effect.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

But the time I’ve gotten to bare titties and ass informing me the situation at someone’s house or apartment, good chance I’m rolling the dice regardless unless that message is blinking AIDS.

I mean if it's not blinking AIDS and she's hot enough, you're going to risk it anyway.  That's how I've heard some guys think. 

• Like 2

Just now, gmr548 said:
7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It was a piece, it facilitated development. But it was far from the only factor.

It was a driving factor.  Suburbia wouldn’t be what it is without an interstate highway system direct into the cities. 

Just now, gmr548 said:
7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It was a piece, it facilitated development. But it was far from the only factor.

THREAD DRIFT FOR SURE HERE:

A major piece, but true not the only factor.

23 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So does that mean as an A+ blood type I should have worried more about malaria all this time and never knew it?

I was wondering if there is a blood type tie in too, but it is not my area of expertise.  Maybe one of the docs has an opinion on that.

Well, that along with the feds making low-interest mortgages available as part of the GI Bill. It was both of those policies together along with Euclidean Zoning.
As an architect, I would think Onboard would be very familiar with this history. Maybe he's just playing dumb for effect.

My man
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, jinx said:

So, I've read most of this thread and a lot of the articles and other stuff.  I appreciate the variety of views and information, but I still feel extremely uninformed.  At least this group of idiots knows how to survive a pandemic while still making jokes about our trip through the twilight zone.

Based on my completely uninformed opinion, I have come to the conclusion that:

1 - We stay in our houses and away from each other for about 12 -16 months

or

2 - A large segment of the population is gonna get this thing

Am I wrong?  What portion of time do the Greenspoints of the world think we need to SIP for this thing to leave us alone?  Does anyone want to be the guinea pig for the vaccine?  

I get flattening the curve, but that just stretches the volume of infected over a longer period of time to keep from locking up the health care system.  Count me in the group wondering when our illustrious leadership will come up with a plan.

Distance as much as you reasonably can. Be smart. Wear a mask. Wash your hands regularly. Get yourself healthy. Eat healthy. Exercise. A large segment will get this. A large segment won't die. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Well, it was more a planning/zoning/social issue than a strictly architectural issue, but yeah I'm familiar with it, see my original interstate highway system comment. 

We could also discuss the effects of redlining and desegregation in public education, but I don't think we want to go there.

For sure.

Maybe, in the interest of compromise and not thread jacking, we acknowledge federal highway investment was instrumental to development in the suburbs and made it possible at scale, but the built environment took the form it did due to a host of factors already named. Many of which have a root cause called racism.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well, it was more a planning/zoning/social issue than a strictly architectural issue, but yeah I'm familiar with it, see my original interstate highway system comment. 

I figure if you went to architecture school you'd be familiar, so that's why I suspected you were being a little coy in your response.

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Hard to believe but I had never watched it until 5 or 6 years ago, by now I've probably watched it 20 times or more.

Damned great movie.

I've seen it dozens of times over the years. I didn't know till a few years ago Dean was dead before it was released.

28 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you want anyone to heed those warnings you better put em on the titties or ass.  

Normally I’d say listen to this man, he was pre-med, but in this case a lot of effort could be spent just to get a peek at the warning, plus you won’t exactly be in the most analytical state of mind when you get there. 

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've seen it dozens of times over the years. I didn't know till a few years ago Dean was dead before it was released.

Yes, that blew my mind when I found that out.  It's a shame he didn't even get  to bask in the glory of it's success.

Edited by SHOOTER12

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Normally I’d say listen to this man, he was pre-med, but in this case a lot of effort could be spent just to get a peek at the warning, plus you won’t exactly be in the most analytical state of mind when you get there. 

Haha, definitely do NOT listen to me on these things.  I have played a lot of russian roulette in a past life, and lived to tell about it.  

Thailand is reporting the first fatal case of the novel coronavirus being transmitted from a dead patient to a medical examiner, a finding that experts say adds to safety concerns for morgue and funeral home workers amid the global pandemic.

“This is the first report on COVID-19 infection and death among medical personnel in a Forensic Medicine unit,” said a Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine study released on Sunday.

“The disinfection procedure used in operation rooms might be applied in pathology/forensic units too,” wrote the authors, Won Sriwijitalai of the RVT Medical Center in Bangkok and Viroj Wiwanitkit of China’s Hainan Medical University. “At present, there is no data on the exact number of COVID-19 contaminated corpses since it is not a routine practice to examine for COVID-19 in dead bodies in Thailand.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/coronavirus-spread-dead-body-coroner

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Thailand is reporting the first fatal case of the novel coronavirus being transmitted from a dead patient to a medical examiner, a finding that experts say adds to safety concerns for morgue and funeral home workers amid the global pandemic.

“This is the first report on COVID-19 infection and death among medical personnel in a Forensic Medicine unit,” said a Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine study released on Sunday.

“The disinfection procedure used in operation rooms might be applied in pathology/forensic units too,” wrote the authors, Won Sriwijitalai of the RVT Medical Center in Bangkok and Viroj Wiwanitkit of China’s Hainan Medical University. “At present, there is no data on the exact number of COVID-19 contaminated corpses since it is not a routine practice to examine for COVID-19 in dead bodies in Thailand.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/coronavirus-spread-dead-body-coroner

How do they know it came from a dead body and not just picked up from someone or somewhere else?

Things definitely calming in NY. We had several docs in our group volunteer with Mt Sinai health system  after they initially asked for volunteers. They got back to us now and said we aren’t needed anymore. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 7

An acquaintance who is known as Banana Man runs an organization that feeds over 200 kids a day who live in a nearby slum. Today the mayor shut them down because the kids don't have masks and can't maintain social distancing. The mayor did offer to distribute the food if it was given to him. But the mayor had the slum bulldozed in October and he is too busy doing photo ops handing out food packages to families that can afford to own or rent homes or apartments. 

58 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

That’s unfortunate. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he shakes hands 

I find that the only people that really take this to heart are the douchebags who clasp way too early and grab your fingers. Fuck them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away