CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

31 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I love this post so fucking much. 

You are talking about the age group least at risk from Covid but possibly most bothered with having to wear a mask? Whether that is communicating or just being able to wear one for any extended period of time? That age group? 

You are correct, the age required to wear a mask should have been 5 or 8 but it wasn’t because a bunch of fucking idiots made this a political statement on both sides.

I am very glad glad the mandate is gone. And hopefully @PenelopeWitherspoon and I will be sitting up front on the same flight soon, by chance. I think even with our different view points on things we could still be polite to each other on a hop across the pond. 

I am generally polite to people I meet.  I also tend to not talk politics or religion in polite society.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am generally polite to people I meet.  I also tend to not talk politics or religion in polite society.

I don't even really know what politics and religion are. I usually talk about the 1985 vintage of sangiovese I had 4 years ago that changed my life. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Hook 'Em 1

Does this mean booze on flights is back in play?

Was it ever out of play? I had a couple of Woodfords on my 4PM Delta flight today where masks were still required. By the time my coworker took off at 8 masks were no longer required. I’m looking forward to my maskless flight home on Wednesday.

A federal judge rated as “not qualified” by the American Bar Association (ABA) has ruled today that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) overstepped its authority by requiring passengers on public transportation, including airplanes, to wear masks. In her ruling, Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle discussed the definition of “sanitation” and wrote that “wearing a mask cleans nothing” and “at most, it traps virus droplets.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniesarkis/2022/04/18/judge-in-cdc-mask-ruling-was-rated-not-qualified-by-aba/?sh=757e231d19e6

12 minutes ago, Satchel said:

A federal judge rated as “not qualified” by the American Bar Association (ABA) has ruled today that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) overstepped its authority by requiring passengers on public transportation, including airplanes, to wear masks. In her ruling, Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle discussed the definition of “sanitation” and wrote that “wearing a mask cleans nothing” and “at most, it traps virus droplets.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniesarkis/2022/04/18/judge-in-cdc-mask-ruling-was-rated-not-qualified-by-aba/?sh=757e231d19e6

Covidians in disbelief. 

5-BE8-A7-BB-AFD2-4-B85-9-E8-C-A8-BD15-F5

cry harder for me 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Was it ever out of play? I had a couple of Woodfords on my 4PM Delta flight today where masks were still required. By the time my coworker took off at 8 masks were no longer required. I’m looking forward to my maskless flight home on Wednesday.

I’m looking forward to my maskless flight to Europe next month 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:
It really seems that you are the one that has been crying, but you do you.

Aren't you feeling owned? Just tell him you feel owned... it'll mean so much to him.

What's sad is that the next move is for them to start saying that masks never did anything, which has always been the plan.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord.  You people are arguing about wearing a thin multi-layer filter on your face.  

Oh, the horror.

Pussies.

After about two hours the string that keeps the thin multi-layer filter on my face starts to irritate the skin behind my ear and it hurts. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. There’s plenty of room for debate about whether it is good policy in certain contexts at certain times, what kinds of masks have what effect, etc.
But ultimately, the downside was…..wear a mask that doesn’t hurt you in any way for a period of time. I did it, including on a 20+ hour international travel day. I was glad to take my mask off when the trip was done, but ultimately, it was no big deal. I also really enjoyed getting home and taking my shoes off, but it’s also no big deal to keep them on for the trip.
I generally don’t wear a mask where it’s not required. But where it is, or in a meeting when someone has asked me to, I wear one. I also wore one working out in the yard the other day to filter out the pollen. It’s not a big deal. I don’t yell at people who aren’t wearing one where they should, but I think they’re being petulant children.
That this became such a big social and political issue speaks so fucking poorly of us as a society.

Well apparently it’s no longer required on planes in the US, so what’s your point?

27 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Covidians in disbelief. 

cry harder for me 

As discussed, I'm glad that masks are on their way out on airplanes, but are you seriously trying to spike the football on a judge making the "masks trap virus droplets" argument? In 2022? What in the actual fuck is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Covidians in disbelief. 

cry harder for me 

As discussed, I'm glad that masks are on their way out on airplanes, but are you seriously trying to spike the football on a judge making the "masks trap virus droplets" argument? In 2022? What in the actual fuck is wrong with you?

Well apparently it’s no longer required on planes in the US, so what’s your point?
I took it as the only thing worse than a titty-baby is a titty-baby that acts vindicated for their titty-baby behavior. The pandemic has been made worse because some Americans reveled in refusing to do the bare minimum.

I don't think anybody should feel like a winner after the past two years, but there's a whole lot of "told you so" coming from the titty-baby crowd.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I took it as the only thing worse than a titty-baby is a titty-baby that acts vindicated for their titty-baby behavior. The pandemic has been made worse because some Americans reveled in refusing to do the bare minimum.

I don't think anybody should feel like a winner after the past two years, but there's a whole lot of "told you so" coming from the titty-baby crowd.

A whole lot of this. We all knew that it was coming, but "I'm currently 'right' at this moment in time" turning into "I was right all along" is so damn predictable and disappointing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

After about two hours the string that keeps the thin multi-layer filter on my face starts to irritate the skin behind my ear and it hurts. 

No doubt.

Those forearm tattoos followed by a trip to the showers (gas) were irritating, too.

#sarcasm

A whole lot of this. We all knew that it was coming, but "I'm currently 'right' at this moment in time" turning into "I was right all along" is so damn predictable and disappointing.

Conservatives: yes finally don’t have to wear masks

Liberals just 5 hours ago: children. Fuck all of you. Fuckin pussies, the fuck is the matter with you? Kids! Facey hurty? Pussy.

Middle men: I just don’t like how the right is spiking the ball.

The fuck planet are you on?

But ultimately, the downside was…..wear a mask that doesn’t hurt you in any way for a period of time. I did it, including on a 20+ hour international travel day. I was glad to take my mask off when the trip was done, but ultimately, it was no big deal.

“It’s no big deal” is not a valid reason to continue requiring masks on planes in April 2022.

I’ve had no problem wearing a mask on a plane for most of the pandemic, but I don’t want to continue to be required to do so simply because “it’s no big deal.”

Could I continue wearing a mask if Covid cases were still out of control, or a new variant was evading the vaccines? Absolutely, but that isn’t the case at this point in time.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Does this mean booze on flights is back in play?

I have never not had access to booze on United and I’ve been back flying for over a year now. 

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

1. Valid point, but you could also get noise cancelling headphones if listening to people talk bothers you. 

2. You can still wear your mask if you want to avoid smelling other people's farts.

3. Does a mask requirement have any effect on how close people stand to you at the airport? People still cram in line even in peak Covid with mask usage.

4. That's up to your husband. If the lack of a mask requirement keeps him from traveling in the future, he was probably just looking for an excuse to get out of it anyways.

5. Complete agreement, but we can't expect people to wear masks forever simply for the sake of visibly separating assholes from non-assholes.

1.  Umm I do have noise canceling headphones. That hasn’t stopped random blue hairs who wind up next to me from deciding to interrupt my quiet time by trying to get me to take them off and have a conversation. 

2, 4, and 5 - you must’ve missed the part at the beginning where I said I’m not sure they matter on a plane. I was mostly poorly attempting to be funny. 

however, #3 needs to be discussed. Yes the whole point of wearing a mask is to protect yourself from others and to protect others from yourself when you are in giant crowds. Inside the airport giant crowds are still a thing that happens pretty frequently. On the airplane I think the filtration is likely good enough that they aren’t needed but the airports didn’t suddenly spend billions on improving their air filtration systems.  Where there is no social distancing I’m ok with masks being required until we are out of worldwide pandemic stage. We aren’t there yet. 

I say this as someone who will likely not wear a mask except when traveling with hubby. Or when I’m getting close to vacation and I’m working my ass off not to get sick beforehand. 

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

“It’s no big deal” is not a valid reason to continue requiring masks on planes in April 2022.

I’ve had no problem wearing a mask on a plane for most of the pandemic, but I don’t want to continue to be required to do so simply because “it’s no big deal.”

Could I continue wearing a mask if Covid cases were still out of control, or a new variant was evading the vaccines? Absolutely, but that isn’t the case at this point in time.

Hmm. Well I’ve probably thrown $100 worth of bottled water in the trash in the security line because I forgot I had it on me. Why aren’t we fighting to be able to bring our own fucking water on the plane with us?  We’ve all seen it as no big deal for 20 god damned years now and there it is. So clearly, masks were not no big deal. If it were actually no big deal we wouldn’t have 10 pages on it today and 0 pages on the bottled water ban today. One of them has been orders of magnitude more burdensome and expensive over the years and fucking crickets. 

That this became such a big social and political issue speaks so fucking poorly of us as a society.

Absolutely agree but it goes both ways. There are a lot of people who sit in the middle of the political spectrum and try to make decisions about things like masks based on what makes the most sense at the time and not what political party we identify with.

This may come as a shock to some people here, but it’s possible to recognize that masks have been an important part of our fight against Covid-19 and they did help prevent spread, but also that they are not necessary indefinitely and we have collectively reached a point where things like air travel can occur safely without requiring all passengers to be masked at all times.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Absolutely agree but it goes both ways. There are a lot of people who sit in the middle of the political spectrum and try to make decisions about things like masks based on what makes the most sense at the time and not what political party we identify with.

This may come as a shock to some people here, but it’s possible to recognize that masks have been an important part of our fight against Covid-19 and they did help prevent spread, but also that they are not necessary indefinitely and we have collectively reached a point where things like air travel can occur safely without requiring all passengers to be masked at all times.

I don’t disagree with this take.
I’ve just never understood the strident anti-mask this is just like Auschwitz vibe. I’m glad not to have to wear a mask when I fly, but it’s not like I feel that my shackles of slavery have just been broken. It’s just a fucking mask.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Can you translate this post for people who don't speak dipshit?
In the last couple of pages, you've called people still wearing masks "miserable idiots" and the masks themselves "chin diapers." So please do us a favor and don't pretend like you've had a rational, even-tempered response about ANY of this.

It needs translation?

Did you read what i was responding to? Just don’t fly with kids? Duhhh ok.

And I didn’t call him one, I said he’d look like one if he’s sitting in a mask and the only one wearing a mask.

Sorry chin diapers offended you.

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

And I didn’t call him one, I said he’d look like one if he’s sitting in a mask and the only one wearing a mask.

Wear your mask. Nobody will care. Youll look like a miserable idiot until you ditch the damn thing but you do you.

You clearly care.  A lot.  It's not a good look, but when did you ever look good?

Hmm. Well I’ve probably thrown $100 worth of bottled water in the trash in the security line because I forgot I had it on me. Why aren’t we fighting to be able to bring our own fucking water on the plane with us?  We’ve all seen it as no big deal for 20 god damned years now and there it is. So clearly, masks were not no big deal. If it were actually no big deal we wouldn’t have 10 pages on it today and 0 pages on the bottled water ban today. One of them has been orders of magnitude more burdensome and expensive over the years and fucking crickets. 

Most people would probably agree with you on bottled water, as well as toiletries limitations. I would personally love to see those things change back.

Individually none of these things are a big deal. Whether it’s banning liquids or requiring a mask, neither are going to prevent people from actually traveling if they want to travel. Collectively though, they gradually add up to make the travel experience less convenient or less comfortable.

My point is that an ongoing travel discomfort like wearing a mask should be required only if there are significant public health benefits, so that it doesn’t become like the bottled water inconvenience that’s just an inherent part of plane travel being a pain in the ass.

Some people are using “It’s no big deal” as if that should be reason enough to keep doing it. If that’s the case, should we continue masking on planes forever? Why would we ever drop the requirement if it’s not really a big deal? Why not mask up at the grocery store too? Central Market is way more crowded than the airport and they have worse air filtration, and it’s not a big deal to grocery shop with a mask on.

You clearly care.  A lot.  It's not a good look, but when did you ever look good?

Yes if longhorn fan 68 is in an airport and he’s one in 50 who are still wearing a mask, im gonna let that haunt me to my grave. Just as much as pussies don’t want to wear a thin little layer of fabric on their face is going to haunt you to yours.

19 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Some people are using “It’s no big deal” as if that should be reason enough to keep doing it. If that’s the case, should we continue masking on planes forever? Why would we ever drop the requirement if it’s not really a big deal? Why not mask up at the grocery store too? Central Market is way more crowded than the airport and they have worse air filtration, and it’s not a big deal to grocery shop with a mask on.

Well, we're only 2 months out from the 2nd worst fatality rate of the entire pandemic.  Is that "no big deal"?

People, a demographic which apparently includes you, have reached the fatigue point.  That's no reason to ignore the data.  In early February 2022, 3500 Americans were dying every day from covid-19, but it gets hand-waved away because "the risk of severe disease was low".

Guess what, high contagiousness x lower risk = serious fatality rate.  I mean, WE JUST FUCKING WENT THROUGH IT.

I am sick and tired of people diminishing the deaths of Americans at a higher daily rate than happened on 9/11, and I'm not going to accept the idea that I'm being hysterical for feeling that way.

Wear. The.  Fucking.  Mask.  

This is not over.  Case rates are rising again, and the science says actual case rates are 14.5X reported case rates.  You don't know where it's going from here.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, we're only 2 months out from the 2nd worst fatality rate of the entire pandemic.  Is that "no big deal"?

People, a demographic which apparently includes you, have reached the fatigue point.  That's no reason to ignore the data.  In early February 2022, 3500 Americans were dying every day from covid-19, but it gets hand-waved away because "the risk of severe disease was low".

Guess what, high contagiousness x lower risk = serious fatality rate.  I mean, WE JUST FUCKING WENT THROUGH IT.

I am sick and tired of people diminishing the deaths of Americans at a higher daily rate than happened on 9/11, and I'm not going to accept the idea that I'm being hysterical for feeling that way.

Wear. The.  Fucking.  Mask.  

This is not over.  Case rates are rising again, and the science says actual case rates are 14.5X reported case rates.  You don't know where it's going from here.

I'm not trying to be a dick but I do have a legitimate question on your stats.  Of those dying at this point are they vaxxed or unvaxxed?  What is their age bracket?  Over 65? Over age 80?  Do they have serious health conditions?  Yeah, I know we need to protect people with health conditions but I am not trying to get into that argument with you.  Just curious what the stats are in general of those dying at this point.  

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I'm not trying to be a dick but I do have a legitimate question on your stats.  Of those dying at this point are they vaxxed or unvaxxed?  What is their age bracket?  Over 65? Over age 80?  Do they have serious health conditions?  Yeah, I know we need to protect people with health conditions but I am not trying to get into that argument with you.  Just curious what the stats are in general of those dying at this point.  

No idea.  I don't care.  I care about people dying.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

No idea.  I don't care.  I care about people dying.

It's not like I want people dying either but at the same time if 99.9% of the deaths are people who chose not to get vaccinated then I really don't feel bad for them at this point.  If someone chooses to not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, I don't wish death on them but at the same time if they wreck and die and a helmet would have saved their life then that is on them.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Jimmy thinks Covid zero is the time we can remove masks. By then maybe he’ll eat a restaurant for 2nd time since March 2020.

high mask compliant countries like japan and South Korea just went through their worst peaks of Covid, despite practically everybody wearing masks Those 2 are also ranked in the bottom half of tests per 1M people, so even the spikes we see in the graphs are likely much higher than reported.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#main_table

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

When stories trump data - the staying power of a lie:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90741596/the-weird-story-behind-true-crime-podcast-tiffany-dover-is-dead

In late 2020, a rumor started circulating online that Tiffany Dover, a nurse in Tennessee, had died after receiving her COVID-19 vaccination shot. But none of that was true: Despite any claims otherwise, Dover is very much alive. And Brandy Zadrozny, a journalist known for her extensive reporting on misinformation, wants to prove it to the people spreading these lies

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, a new variant is now dominant, and latest projections show case rates probably undercount actual infections by 93%, but what the fuck ever.

It’s endemic. It’s never going away. Be vaxed and boosted. Wear an N95 if you want. CDC / TSA should’ve proactively done this six weeks ago based on the case curve. Would have shut up the morons and had little to no deleterious effects on case count/death

• Hook 'Em 3

If an establishment requires a mask, I'll wear one and not bitch.  Or if I don't have a mask/not in the mood to wear one, I'll go somewhere else. 

If there are no mask requirements, I'm not wearing one.  I'm healthy, vaxxed and boosted.  If you have comorbidities, sucks for you but you know the risk of this disease by now.  If you're eligible but haven't been vaxxed?  Go fuck yourself and good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I am ok with removing the masks, but I think people should have to be vaccinated and boosted to get on a plane, unless there is a medical reason they cannot be (with a Dr. note stating as such).  Course, I think people should be vaccinated and boosted to be out and about in polite society.  However, we have a lot of selfish assholes in this country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Most people would probably agree with you on bottled water, as well as toiletries limitations. I would personally love to see those things change back.

Individually none of these things are a big deal. Whether it’s banning liquids or requiring a mask, neither are going to prevent people from actually traveling if they want to travel. Collectively though, they gradually add up to make the travel experience less convenient or less comfortable.

My point is that an ongoing travel discomfort like wearing a mask should be required only if there are significant public health benefits, so that it doesn’t become like the bottled water inconvenience that’s just an inherent part of plane travel being a pain in the ass.

I would say getting patted down most times I fly are a much bigger deal/more invasive than a fucking mask.  And a hell of a lot more people have died from Covid than underwear bombs. Yet the antimaskers are apparently fine with being felt up by TSA agents on a regular basis.  We do a shit ton of stuff as a precautionary measure.

I don't have strong feelings on whether we should keep wearing masks on planes. But my patience for the morons doing a victory lap over not having to wear a few thin pieces of paper over their faces for a few hours is limited, to say the least.

• Hook 'Em 2