CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

wears a type of mask that we know isn't particularly good; complains others are engaging in mask theater

The mask we all know isn't particularly good literally meets the requirements for the mandate/policies we are making fun of.  Hence, mask theater.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord.  Five people in my house are double vaxxed & boosted.  Two caught omicron.  Another was suspicious, but didn't test.  Another caught it, but wasn't vaxxed (7 YO, not my call).

Seriously, you're being thick.  Like I said, it's not up to a vote.  It's up to people not being shitheads, and your perspective puts you on the shithead list in my view.

Clear?

I see no reason to mask at this point if you are vaxed and/ or recovered from infection. A very busy PCP I know has had 2 positives in the past 4 weeks. Neither was very symptomatic

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I see no reason to mask at this point if you are vaxed and/ or recovered from infection. A very busy PCP I know has had 2 positives in the past 4 weeks. Neither was very symptomatic

Unvaxxed less than 5 year olds? Really, do let know.

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You should stick to humorless cartoons.  Seems to be your sweet spot as a poster. 

Your bravado, is worthless here.  At first, you were helpful, but now you are just a dickhead.

Piss up a rope.

Edited by brakeman
fucking troll.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not until you tell me more about variant percentages without the context of a denominator!

That is all you, push it.

Your public is waiting.

Blow.

Edited by brakeman
deep breath in, annie are you ok?

Have not posted in a long time in this thread. South Korea is getting it's ass kicked by Omicron right now. In December, there was a Delta surge, but it never really got out of control. They still traced everyone.  Omicron arrived here just in time for the lunar new year which is a 3 day holiday where everyone goes home to see their families and it fell so that it was a five day weekend. After the holiday, Omicron has just been spreading like crazy.  There had been 3000 deaths or so through the end of November, 2021. The Delta surge in December doubled that to around 6k. Omicron has doubled it again at over 13K at this moment.  The number of total cases was 1 million at the beginning of February before the holiday. It broke 10 million total cases recently. Daily cases recently topped 400k and 400 deaths.

They stopped contract tracing last month as there were just too many sick people now to trace them all. No more checking in on your phone/sign in sheets and temperature checks to enter businesses. Schools and businesses used to shut down if there was a case. Right now nothing shuts down. Just go home until you are better. 

Good news is Korea has nearly a 90% vaccination rate and like 2/3 have been boosted. Throw in universal health care and it helps a lot. Most of the dead are unvaccinated and/or at risk people who are being exposed for the first time, since the near universal mask wearing here and tracing previously helped get previous surges under control quickly.

The worldometers web site has some crazy graphs showing how Omicron has really gone crazy in South Korea compared to how well COVID was handled the first couple years.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I knew specifying cloth would trigger some of y’all. 

11 hours ago, DaysOff said:

You're just being an asshole if intentionally wearing a cloth mask.

Please explain. I’m talking about going into a store or restaurant or whatever. I’m an asshole for wearing a cloth mask? You’re the one with the problem not me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Or interesting to walk around there. I've only vacationed there once, but for a seemingly laid-back people, they are so aggressive behind the wheel. Pedestrian right-of-way? LOL!!! You better move your ass across the road, because they are hitting the accelerator when they see you.

12 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Or interesting to walk around there. I've only vacationed there once, but for a seemingly laid-back people, they are so aggressive behind the wheel. Pedestrian right-of-way? LOL!!! You better move your ass across the road, because they are hitting the accelerator when they see you.

They are extremely laid back. Their driving behavior is just bizarre. Our driver kept saying “Chupador de culo” and it always made me laugh but now that I drive my own car here some I know what he meant. 
Like Austin, Quepos has a bad grackle problem. These little birds have learned how to mimic a car horn because they hear it so often. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/23/2022 at 10:07 AM, Willfully Horn said:

Over 1,000 deaths from Covid on March 22, 2022. For reference, that’s seven times the daily average number of deaths from the flu, looking at pre-pandemic data. Sorry that reality doesn’t support your wishes.

The reason mask wearing is a hassle isn’t the wearing of a mask. It’s the meatheads who refuse to do so. Ankle-grabbing for dumbfucks isn’t a good posture, 

Are you throwing in the cloth only mask wearers in with the meatheads? Hasn't tht CDC ruled you need a properly fitted N95? 

14 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Are you throwing in the cloth only mask wearers in with the meatheads?

Are you a meathead? 

I am willing to abide by the decisions made by experts. I am not an expert, and I slept in my own bed last night. Not a fucking motel. So, I wear a mask when required, and don’t when it’s not required.

But, yeah, my wife has us stocked up on 95s.

Edited by Willfully Horn
95 talk
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Bookman said:

Restrictions during a pandemic are far worse than jail.

I hear some people didn't even get to eat at Applebee's!  Oh, the humanity! 

Thought this was an interesting intersection between politics, business, covid-19 and well-written. Submitted without judgment:

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/yesterday-i-was-levis-brand-president?s

--

Last month, Jennifer Sey quit a top job at Levi’s, giving up a potential shot at C.E.O., via an essay that was widely circulated online. In the post, Sey said the clothing company where she had worked for more than 20 years warned her against expressing her personal views on social media, broadcast media and elsewhere, that closing schools during the pandemic made kids worse off. She quit instead of negotiating an exit package, which attracted even more attention to her situation.

Her departure raises issues like whether corporations can control the personal speech of their employees and the politics tied to speaking on certain platforms, like Fox News opinion shows, The Times’s Sapna Maheshwari reports.

Sey’s tweets went beyond just questioning school closings. She criticized guidance from the C.D.C. and accused Dr. Anthony Fauci of fearmongering. This came as Levi’s was trying to set Covid safety protocols in its stores and manage potential pushback from customers and employees. Outside of the company, Sey’s comments drew threats of boycotts. Levi’s said that its social media guidelines allow employees to speak out online, as long as they are mindful of the company’s reputation.

Sey said her speech should have been protected, since she was speaking as a concerned mother, not a corporate executive. She argued she was subject to “viewpoint discrimination” by Levi’s, and said there hadn’t been a problem in the past when she spoke in support of liberal causes.

Complicating matters is that executives are expected to speak out more often on social issues these days. “A private employer can impose restrictions on employees’ speech or conduct,” said Sarah Sobieraj, a professor of sociology at Tufts University. “The key issue here is where that boundary lies and what about when you’re not working.”

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

Her departure raises issues like whether corporations can control the personal speech of their employees and the politics tied to speaking on certain platforms, like Fox News opinion shows, The Times’s Sapna Maheshwari reports.

Yes.

We're done here.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Sey’s comments drew threats of boycotts. Levi’s said that its social media guidelines allow employees to speak out online, as long as they are mindful of the company’s reputation.

That’s about as reasonable as it gets.  You start hurting the bottom line, you get hurt.  Not sure what issue capitalists would have with that.   I could though, as my wife often says, be missing the point.  Some people just aren’t happy without whiny victimhood.  You know, the shit they accuse others who actually experience it of.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That’s about as reasonable as it gets.  You start hurting the bottom line, you get hurt.  Not sure what issue capitalists would have with that.   I could though, as my wife often says, be missing the point.  Some people just aren’t happy without whiny victimhood.  

I generally agree with the bottom-line which is as you say, you hurt the bottom line, you get hurt. She chose to die on this hill, I would not have, but she is not without some reasonable points (if you read the missive).

Edited by TurkeyChew

7 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I generally agree with the bottom-line which is as you say, you hurt the bottom line, you get hurt. She chose to die on this hill, but she is not without some reasonable points (if you read the missive).

This is where you get sideways with reality.  We can agree or disagree on her missive. A company pushing her shit in because it’s hurting their bottom line isn’t cancel culture.  It’s the culture the whiners created.  If she is right, why doesn’t the current environment support it monetarily?  Answer that.  .  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This is where you get sideways with reality.  We can agree or disagree on her missive. A company pushing her shit in because it’s hurting their bottom line isn’t cancel culture.  It’s the culture the whiners created.  If she is right, why doesn’t the current environment support it monetarily?  Answer that.  .  

Are you arguing that to be "right", you would have the current environment's majority support?

There are lots of egregious things in the past that were once considered moral and right but we now look at has horrible, as I'm sure you know. Using the "if she is right, why doesn't the current environment agree" doesn't seem like the question to ask to prove your point, and you might even be right.

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This is where you get sideways with reality.  We can agree or disagree on her missive. A company pushing her shit in because it’s hurting their bottom line isn’t cancel culture.  It’s the culture the whiners created.  Privilege takes money.  Fuck with the money, away goes your privilege.  Being on the wrong side of history doesn’t make you special.  Money makes history.  She’s on the wrong side.  

This.

Someone who works for Tyson foods publishing open letters on the benefits of veganism, and open letters on how meat is murder.......you bout to lose ya job.

If you are hurting your company's bottom line, you will lose your job.  Ordinary political activity will not do that - your vote is your business.  Basic political contributions to a candidate actually running for office generally won't do it (I say generally because there are a few recent cases of actual fucking nazis winning party nominations for local offices....so, yeah, if you're writing checks to nazis, which is a matter of public record, that reflects poorly on your business).  Hell, you can feel and think lots of things.  But when you take a public position or public action, that can and does reflect on you and your business.  And if it hurts the bottom line, adios.  

Employees are just an asset that translates to dollars.  And if keeping you on is worth $X, but letting you go to buy public goodwill is worth $X+1, then a good capitalist shows your ass the door, because that $+1 is where it's at.

It's funny.  The people who whine the loudest about this are almost always the biggest champions of capitalism and the free market.  The cognitive dissonance is real.

• Hook 'Em 3

lol Bari Weiss

Jennifer Sey is full of shit.

She was fired for a lot more than what she’s now claiming and Levi’s is calling bullshittery on her claim that she was offered $1 million to keep quiet. Her and her husband tweeting a lot of COVID denial conspiracy crap and she was a guest on Laura Ingraham spewing nonsense too.

And she was a guest in a Naomi Wolfe YouTube video - Wolfe is an absolute anti-vaxxer QAnon adjacent nut job.

She’s a kook and she made herself a public kook. Levi’s gave her multiple opportunities to knock it off and she didn’t. So, she has to deal with the consequences.

In the future don’t use absolute hacks like Bari Weiss - who has been proven to twist facts and outright lie to promote her agenda.

A more balanced telling of the story -

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/25/business/levis-jen-sey.html

• Hook 'Em 3