CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Well, I’d this a new spike - Deltacron or BA2 or whatever - hospitalizations and deaths are lagging indicators.

I’ve seen data that shows a new spike in COVID in wastewater analysis in Connecticut and Maryland over the past week.

We’re waiting on the ADPH wastewater data now. Supposed to get to us beginning of next week.

If this follows the past spikes, the pattern usually goes -

-Spike somewhere overseas
-Spike in COVID in wastewater
-Cases start rising
-Cases climb and then hospitalizations start rising
-Hospitalizations climb and deaths start rising

Our Incident Command met today and this new variant was around 8% of cases statewide two weeks ago. It accounts for 31% as of yesterday.

I’m hopeful that maybe this one won’t be as bad or will peter out.

But this is the fifth time I’ve been through this dance so…..

We’ll see.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, I’d this a new spike - Deltacron or BA2 or whatever - hospitalizations and deaths are lagging indicators.

I’ve seen data that shows a new spike in COVID in wastewater analysis in Connecticut and Maryland over the past week.

We’re waiting on the ADPH wastewater data now. Supposed to get to us beginning of next week.

If this follows the past spikes, the pattern usually goes -

-Spike somewhere overseas
-Spike in COVID in wastewater
-Cases start rising
-Cases climb and then hospitalizations start rising
-Hospitalizations climb and deaths start rising

Our Incident Command met today and this new variant was around 8% of cases statewide two weeks ago. It accounts for 31% as of yesterday.

I’m hopeful that maybe this one won’t be as bad or will peter out.

But this is the fifth time I’ve been through this dance so…..

We’ll see.

Yep. Ex-us sentinel indicators and domestic shit signals. Maybe we break the cycle this time. Or maybe not. 

From a flight earlier this week. Not sure what his Surly handle is. Stewardess had to ask him multiple times to put his mask on, his young kid in the window seat was embarrassed by his conduct, though was imitating his dad when it came to mask wearing on our 3 hr flight.

Worst part, started dipping about 2 hrs in. a60a75eab5d0d54c5644cf975d92ea96.jpg

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

From a flight earlier this week. Not sure what his Surly handle is. Stewardess had to ask him multiple times to put his mask on, his young kid in the window seat was embarrassed by his conduct, though was imitating his dad when it came to mask wearing on our 3 hr flight.

Worst part, started dipping about 2 hrs in. a60a75eab5d0d54c5644cf975d92ea96.jpg

Everybody, look at me! LOOK AT ME!

• Like 1

Over 90 million people are in lockdown in China due to outbreak of the new variant. This is going to cause serious supply chain issues. Why are we in the US easing masking policy at this time?  Our vaccination/booster numbers are still not ideal either, not like Europe. The CDC is a joke.  Seems as if we are asking for it. 

• Like 1

Over 90 million people are in lockdown in China due to outbreak of the new variant. This is going to cause serious supply chain issues. Why are we in the US easing masking policy at this time?  Our vaccination/booster numbers are still not ideal either, not like Europe. The CDC is a joke.  Seems as if we are asking for it. 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:12 PM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

@Rex Kramer?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nope, we are begging for it.

22 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

People have moved on. Look at this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think everyone has moved on. Masks are here to stay for some people. There are new recipients of the Herman Cain Award every day. People that trusted science with their chemo but not this vaccine. MTG is still blathering about it and just as wrongly as ever.

But, there's a range of response. If they make a booster available like a flu shot I'll go get it. Before the pandemic I didn't regularly get a flu shot. If I happened to be at the doc for something else and it was offered, sure hit me, but walk allll the way over to the pharmacy and wait in line? Maybe later. Ain't got time for that right now. 

That's over for me now. Gimme what you got. Got a new one? Can I haz a boost?

There are a lot of lessons to learn. Maybe start with not calling it a hoax and lying your ass off.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

let’s do it.

If you want to wear a mask great, but let’s get rid of flight attendants reminding you to pull your mask back up between sips and bites like I had on one flight last week. This shit is stupid. 

does it ever bother you that you have the wrong take on exactly everything?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

let’s do it.

If you want to wear a mask great, but let’s get rid of flight attendants reminding you to pull your mask back up between sips and bites like I had on one flight last week. This shit is stupid. 

Or you could just be an adult and remember to put it back.  Don't be a fucking dummy.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

does it ever bother you that you have the wrong take on exactly everything?

Being against mask mandates on planes is wrong? 

1 minute ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Or you could just be an adult and remember to put it back.  Don't be a fucking dummy.

Nobody told me, it was what they said overhead.

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

don't eat/drink on the plane then dickhead.   Their plane, their rules.  

LOL, it aint their rules.  It's federal govt rules.   The airlines can't fucking wait for the mandate to be lifted.   Not only level 1 statement to me from an upper level executive at a major airline but their CEO's have made public statements to that effect. When N95's are readily available to anyone that wants them, mandates make no sense at this stage of the pandemic.   And that is very much a majority position no matter what the collection of holdouts on this thread think.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I swear history will look back on this period and we will be considered one of the softest and weakest generations to ever live. Our grandparents were asked to die to save their country and maintain democratic ideals around the world. We were asked to put on a mask to board a plane so we could sit our fat asses on a beach and order around underpaid staff. I seriously think the "muh freedoms" douchebags are way worse the even the most vehement hippie leftist. worst of the worst because they have no idea what they are railing on about. just the worst fucking people

This is some grade a bullshit.  I am happy for what our ancestors did, but they didn't exactly rush into WW1 or WW2, and many were drafted/conscripted.  I am sure they all would tell us they did their duty and they enlisted like little Captain Americas when asked, but we re-elected the President based on his promise to stay out of it.    The concept of chickenhawks is nothing new.  They have always been apart of any society.   The author of All Quiet on the Western Front had them too, telling lies to kids, and their 'one good push' that was echoed on both sides of the war and far from the trenches.  

Keep in mind those same heroes of the past, rejected boat loads of Jewish refugees in 1939, and later in 1942.   Rounding up Japanese-Americans and the racist programs which helped further stratify the economic status of black Americans.   We also invited the Mexicans in to help and then kicked their asses out which set us up for the system we have today.

/Rant Off

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

This is some grade a bullshit.  I am happy for what our ancestors did, but they didn't exactly rush into WW1 or WW2, and many were drafted/conscripted.  I am sure they all would tell us they did their duty and they enlisted like little Captain Americas when asked, but we re-elected the President based on his promise to stay out of it.    The concept of chickenhawks is nothing new.  They have always been apart of any society.   The author of All Quiet on the Western Front had them too, telling lies to kids, and their 'one good push' that was echoed on both sides of the war and far from the trenches.  

Keep in mind those same heroes of the past, rejected boat loads of Jewish refugees in 1939, and later in 1942.   Rounding up Japanese-Americans and the racist programs which helped further stratify the economic status of black Americans.   We also invited the Mexicans in to help and then kicked their asses out which set us up for the system we have today.

/Rant Off

These are all good points, but the boomers still suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

/Rant Off

thanks for the history lesson but that wasn't really my point. they may have been assholes, but they weren't wet blankets, like much of the current population of these here parts

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

LOL, it aint their rules.  It's federal govt rules.   The airlines can't fucking wait for the mandate to be lifted.   Not only level 1 statement to me from an upper level executive at a major airline but their CEO's have made public statements to that effect. When N95's are readily available to anyone that wants them, mandates make no sense at this stage of the pandemic.   And that is very much a majority position no matter what the collection of holdouts on this thread think.

Gee, I wonder who helped implement those rules.  "Oh I am so sorry you have to (insert Rule) sir, but it's not really my fault, blame (insert someone else not present)."  

Or

Airlines began requiring customers to wear masks in mid-2020 as part of the effort to contain the spread of the virus. The Trump administration declined to put a mask mandate in place, but shortly after taking office, Biden issued an order that required mask-wearing in all transportation settings

Washington Post Article

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

thanks for the history lesson but that wasn't really my point. they may have been assholes, but they weren't wet blankets, like much of the current population of these here parts

The point was not to whitewash the past and also that chicken hawks have been ever present in society. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

LOL.  As much as you Covidians wish it were the case, it aint 2020 anymore.  

So you stated it was the FEDs who enacted the ban, but in actuality it was the corporations who started it, the Feds made it official.  When presented with this information, you move to a different discussion because you do not have the balls or integrity to admit YOU WERE FUCKING WRONG 

So Skipper, are you just a liar afraid of the truth, or can you admit the article contradicts what you stated earlier?  I think I know what the answer is.  But I would welcome you to have some integrity.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Um, what about this part of the article?

Some in the transportation industry also had argued it was time for the rule to be set aside. The American Public Transportation Association wrote to the White House last week to say ending the mandate would help keep the country on a path “back to normality.”

Industry and labor groups largely praised Biden for imposing the mandate shortly after he took office, but Thursday’s announcement that it would be extended drew a tepid response, with some groups saying it was time to rethink the requirement.

Airlines for America, the trade group that represents major U.S. airlines, said its members would continue to comply with the mask mandate, but also urged the administration to “identify a path forward from covid-era policies,” such as mask-wearing and pre-departure testing for international travelers.

40 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So you stated it was the FEDs who enacted the ban, but in actuality it was the corporations who started it, the Feds made it official.  When presented with this information, you move to a different discussion because you do not have the balls or integrity to admit YOU WERE FUCKING WRONG 

So Skipper, are you just a liar afraid of the truth, or can you admit the article contradicts what you stated earlier?  I think I know what the answer is.  But I would welcome you to have some integrity.  

"Balls or integrity"?  It's a fucking message board psycho.   

Second of all, reading comprehension is clearly not your friend.   You are the idiot that claimed "their plane, their rules".   I pointed out that the airlines have zero fucking control over the continued mask requirement.   And that I know with 100% certainty management of at least 1 major airline wants it to go away.  Because it's been a major pain in their ass this entire time due to the MAGA nutjobs (as we've all seen via viral videos). 

And of course it's only worse now that the vast majority of sane passengers (not to mention their own employees required to enforce it) think it's fucking idiotic in March of 2022.  It's a massive pain in the ass enforcing a rule hardly anyone believes in.   

As soon as it's lifted I'm guessing > 80%  are maskless and the rest will be in N95 if they are still concerned.  Exactly how it should be.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

"Balls or integrity"?  It's a fucking message board psycho.   

Second of all, reading comprehension is clearly not your friend.   You are the idiot that claimed "their plane, their rules".   I pointed out that the airlines have zero fucking control over the continued mask requirement.   And that I know with 100% certainty management of at least 1 major airline wants it to go away.  Because it's been a major pain in their ass this entire time due to the MAGA nutjobs (as we've all seen via viral videos). 

So zero integrity then.   You said it wasn't their rule.  I said, and provided evidence that they did enact those rules prior to the federal government.   Now you are trying to introduce 'continued' as part of your goal post shifting.     

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

U Mad Reaction GIF

Nobody told me, it was what they said overhead.
Yeah, I was on a flight the other day. Flight attendant came over thre mic and said something to the effect of "You need to wear your mask. Having a drink on your tray doesn't count as actively drinking or eating."

We all laughed because everyone knew the shithead they were taking about.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

So zero integrity then.   You said it wasn't their rule.  I said, and provided evidence that they did enact those rules prior to the federal government.   Now you are trying to introduce 'continued' as part of your goal post shifting.     

Why in the fuck would anyone give 2 shits about who initially instituted a policy in 2020 when we are talking about current mandates in 2022.  You were literally responding to a comment about a flight last week.   You seem odd.

• Hook 'Em 3