CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

. . . and for you babies who can't be bothered to put a filter on your face, justifying your position with the "clean air" aspect of flight:  the mandate also covered buses, trains, and subways.  You know, the cleanest most hygienic air known to man.

You bitches will bitch just to bitch.  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I fly first without kids.  But I kind of want to move my 3 and 5 year old to first as well going forward on the off chance we get to sit next to you  :)

If you want to pay for them to fly first, that is your perogative.  As long as they are well behaved, I do not care.  If they act like hellions, I will make sure to get your entire family booted from the plane.

It amazes me how many parents let their kids go fucking wild in public.  I shouldn't be so shocked though, considering the behavior we see from our fellow adults.  

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and for you babies who can't be bothered to put a filter on your face, justifying your position with the "clean air" aspect of flight:  the mandate also covered buses, trains, and subways.  You know, the cleanest most hygienic air known to man.

You bitches will bitch just to bitch.  

I will probably ALWAYS wear a mask on the NYC subway.  What a shithole.

38 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I booked one across the pond when the masks were required.  It was honestly no big deal.  Yeah, it was uncomfortable while I slept, but it was a small convenience.  Granted, we had ours off for most of the time we were awake due to drinking (again, Business Class and First Class are your friends).

It was no big deal.  Granted I didn't feel the need to follow the rules, but it was no big deal.  For me.  Because I had mine off most of the time.

Y'all are a bunch of babies...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you want to pay for them to fly first, that is your perogative.  As long as they are well behaved, I do not care.  If they act like hellions, I will make sure to get your entire family booted from the plane.
It amazes me how many parents let their kids go fucking wild in public.  I shouldn't be so shocked though, considering the behavior we see from our fellow adults.  

Lol Karen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Except we were in the biggest wave of this yet in January.  
I do not care one way or another if they keep the mandate on planes.  I do laugh at people like you that are such fucking crybabies about it all though.  Seriously, you people need fucking help.

You need to chill out about something you don’t care about, potty mouth.
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

It was no big deal.  Granted I didn't feel the need to follow the rules, but it was no big deal.  For me.  Because I had mine off most of the time.

Y'all are a bunch of babies...

Exactly.  I was able to have mine off thanks to drinking copious amounts of champagne.  Also, the FAs tend to give a lot of leeway to business and first class, which makes sense because we are more spreadout and not packed like sardines in a can.  

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Exactly.  I was able to have mine off thanks to drinking copious amounts of champagne.  Also, the FAs tend to give a lot of leeway to business and first class, which makes sense because we are more spreadout and not packed like sardines in a can.  

Go ahead and change the hookem to the middle finger on my post.  I was saying of course it was no big deal for you because you didn't follow the rules or wear your mask the way one is supposed to on a plane.  It's easy when you use your status to be above the rules that everyone else abides to and don't wear a mask "most of the time." 

Meanwhile everyone else gets 1.5 seconds per sip, as federal law requires you to briefly remove and put back on between sips and bites. 

This is like Gavin Newsom telling everyone else to sacrifice while he dines maskless at The French Laundry.

Do I give a fuck that you did that, or that he did that?  Absolutely not.  But maybe hold off on calling everyone else babies when you are bragging about not following the rules yourself.

• Hook 'Em 8

Go ahead and change the hookem to the middle finger on my post.  I was saying of course it was no big deal for you because you didn't follow the rules or wear your mask the way one is supposed to on a plane.  It's easy when you use your status to be above the rules that everyone else abides to and don't wear a mask "most of the time." 
Meanwhile everyone else gets 1.5 seconds per sip, as federal law requires you to briefly remove and put back on between sips and bites. 
This is like Gavin Newsom telling everyone else to sacrifice while he dines maskless at The French Laundry.
Do I give a fuck that you did that, or that he did that?  Absolutely not.  But maybe hold off on calling everyone else babies when you are bragging about not following the rules yourself.

The ones calling others babies also use the most swear words in their child tantrums while they yell at the clouds

It’s fucking awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Oh yes, the one time I flew in 2.5 years, and I was able to sit in Business Class and First Class, I was really flouting the rules.  I still slept with my mask on, which was the most uncomfortable.  And if I did not have a drink that I was actively working on, I would put it on.  I also was sitting well over 10 feet away from the closest passenger, so let's think about how that is different from coach.  

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

I do not have an issue if they repeal the mask mandate.  However, even if they do not, everyone is still being a bunch of bitches about this.  The bitching and moaning about having to mask your kids while you take them on vacation is just par for the course.  I do not feel for you in the slightest.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

The cool thing here is the people coughing and sneezing without a mask on let us know who the assholes are.  It makes it way easier to figure out these days who the selfish dicks are around you.

I’m not wearing a mask day to day at all but on planes I’m cool with it because people are nasty.  But I will drive a long way to avoid getting on a plane anyway because I am surly and don’t like people.

• Hook 'Em 2

Since there seems to be a handful of people still in favor of requiring masks on planes, could you please explain your reasoning for this stance? Is there a valid reason for wanting everyone to wear masks on planes?

The reason I’ve seen tossed around here appears to be some version of “People should continue being required to wear masks on planes because people who complain about wearing masks on planes are babies.”

That’s not a reason at all. It’s a worn out attempt at virtue signaling or belittling people who you view as different (inferior to) yourself.

I would be interested to know what the actual reasons are.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh yes, the one time I flew in 2.5 years, and I was able to sit in Business Class and First Class, I was really flouting the rules.  I still slept with my mask on, which was the most uncomfortable.  And if I did not have a drink that I was actively working on, I would put it on.  I also was sitting well over 10 feet away from the closest passenger, so let's think about how that is different from coach.  

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

I do not have an issue if they repeal the mask mandate.  However, even if they do not, everyone is still being a bunch of bitches about this.  The bitching and moaning about having to mask your kids while you take them on vacation is just par for the course.  I do not feel for you in the slightest.

Federal laws are for thee, not for me. 

7 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Since there seems to be a handful of people still in favor of requiring masks on planes, could you please explain your reasoning for this stance? Is there a valid reason for wanting everyone to wear masks on planes?

The reason I’ve seen tossed around here appears to be some version of “People should continue being required to wear masks on planes because people who complain about wearing masks on planes are babies.”

That’s not a reason at all. It’s a worn out attempt at virtue signaling or belittling people who you view as different (inferior to) yourself.

I didn’t say required, probably should be the company’s call at this point.  But I like it because I don’t like people, much less their kids or their breath.  

I will fix it by not flying. Easy enough for me.

3 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

are you same jive turkey from the old sites? i seem to remember you being smarter. maybe not, though.

I have seen no one (lately) arguing for continuation of the mandate. what I have seen is people (like myself) laughing at other posters for spiking the football when the mandate gets overturned or when other mandates get shot down. I mean, what are you really celebrating? no more mask hurt facey? lol. I just don't get it. When I was told wear a mask in order to participate in public life, I did it. when it was no longer required, I didn't use it - all the time. I still wear it if I shop somewhere or hang some place where employees are wearing them out of deference to them. It's just not a big deal. I don't understand how it ever was.

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

how is that she keeps posting the same thing over and over again you keep taking the wrong thing away?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

The cool thing here is the people coughing and sneezing without a mask on let us know who the assholes are.  It makes it way easier to figure out these days who the selfish dicks are around you.

11 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

QED

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

are you same jive turkey from the old sites? i seem to remember you being smarter. maybe not, though.

I have seen no one (lately) arguing for continuation of the mandate. what I have seen is people (like myself) laughing at other posters for spiking the football when the mandate gets overturned or when other mandates get shot down. I mean, what are you really celebrating? no more mask hurt facey? lol. I just don't get it. When I was told wear a mask in order to participate in public life, I did it. when it was no longer required, I didn't use it - all the time. I still wear it if I shop somewhere or hang some place where employees are wearing them out of deference to them. It's just not a big deal. I don't understand how it ever was.

how is that she keeps posting the same thing over and over again you keep taking the wrong thing away?

It became a big deal when people realized that if they didn't push back it was never going to go away.

You really believe the "15 day" travel mask extension was based on some kind of actual science?

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Stay terrible, P. 

Also lol at acting like you have the stroke to have a family that is flying first class kicked off the plane. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm sure there are some people "spiking the football" because a reduction in mask requirements validates their political viewpoints. Perhaps those are the types of people you prefer to engage in conversation with because it gives you something to argue about. If that's the case, then I will step aside and let you continue doing that. My initial comments and questions were pretty benign and you've already made an assertion about my intelligence level, so maybe that's just who you are.

The vast majority of us are happy about this for the simple reason that it allows us to be more comfortable while traveling and it represents a return to normalcy.

I personally supported widespread mask use for the first ~16 months of the pandemic and again during the Delta and Omicron spikes, including on airplanes and in airports. I travel a fair amount for personal reasons and I attempt to be compliant with my own mask use in the airport and on planes. I don't whine about it and I don't attempt to skirt the rules, but that doesn't mean I enjoy wearing a mask, nor do I think it provides any public health benefit at this stage of the pandemic. It made a lot of sense until recent months, but Covid cases are low, deaths are low, and vaccines/boosters are readily available. It's time to move on from this.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It became a big deal when people realized that if they didn't push back it was never going to go away.

You really believe the "15 day" travel mask extension was based on some kind of actual science?

Maybe, maybe not. But who gives a shit? 15 whole days? The horror!

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, so it might be a stretch to say I support requiring masks on planes.  But, I think the reason for it is that for the people who want masks there's little alternative.  It's not like a restaurant or a store that you just can't go to or choose another store to shop at.  You're stuck on the plane.  A mask mandate will also encourage people who are uneasy of flying to get on planes.  I don't really care for myself, but my stepmother who is immunosuppressed and elderly is flying to my niece's graduation next month.  Not feeling great about her breathing canned air with a bunch of others.  And I know of more than one person who's gotten on a plane with Covid.

Honestly, I just don't understand the opposition to it.  It's not a big deal.  Hell, i wore a mask on a 12 hour overseas flight with a connection---so with all the airport time well over 15 hours, and it was mildly inconvenient at most.  And after years of catching colds every time I flew, that hasn't happened at all post-pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Waiting to takeoff from Atlanta on Southwest. Pilot came on the PA to say “Effective immediately, masks are now optional. America”.  🙄 

Seems like most around me have taken them off, myself included, but there were no cheers or anything. I certainly don’t really mind wearing it but am fine with it being optional at this point.  Don’t really blame the airlines for wanting it off their plates of things to deal with.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

How much longer should I wait as a vaccinated adult with kids who have also already had it, and n95's are readily available for those who are still concerned?

I'm not crying about having to wear a mask. I'll do it, and I'll do my best to have my kids wear it. But it's not two years ago anymore.

At least for me, the concern isn't so much getting really sick/dying from Covid.  I've been vaccinated and boosted.  But I have a big trip planned next month, and really don't want to get stuck thousands of miles from home with the latest variant, and have my vacation ruined after catching BA-2 or whatever the next thing is on the flight over.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

At least for me, the concern isn't so much getting really sick/dying from Covid.  I've been vaccinated and boosted.  But I have a big trip planned next month, and really don't want to get stuck thousands of miles from home with the latest variant, and have my vacation ruined after catching BA-2 or whatever the next thing is on the flight over.

You have the option to wear an n95. As soon as studies showed that n95's greatly reduced transmission for the user--making wearers not as dependent on communal masking--it's been hard for me to muster up much "greater good" energy these days.

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, so it might be a stretch to say I support requiring masks on planes.  But, I think the reason for it is that for the people who want masks there's little alternative.  It's not like a restaurant or a store that you just can't go to or choose another store to shop at.  You're stuck on the plane.  A mask mandate will also encourage people who are uneasy of flying to get on planes.  I don't really care for myself, but my stepmother who is immunosuppressed and elderly is flying to my niece's graduation next month.  Not feeling great about her breathing canned air with a bunch of others.  And I know of more than one person who's gotten on a plane with Covid.

I understand what you are saying, but flying on a plane (or doing anything in crowded public spaces) was always a risk for an elderly immunosuppressed person, way before Covid started. Maybe people didn't think about it as much 3 years ago, but the risk was always there.

Assuming that person is fully vaccinated and boosted against Covid, is the risk of air travel significantly higher in April 2022 compared to April 2019?

And that person is still free to wear an N95 mask if they are concerned about it, which is probably way more than most immunosuppressed people would've done pre-Covid.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, what's in it for them?

Same thing that was in it for them kicking the can down the road over and over again... nothing.. didn't make sense yet they continued to to it because it's easier and based on this thread, their primary constituents are in favor of it, they find a reason to keep doing it. Government isn't always logical (shocker)  The most recent 15 day extension was due to a slight up tick in the 7 day moving average they needed to investigate further...

image.thumb.png.8abbabffea1e190013f20f737a8b59fc.png

image.thumb.png.ebc122df5f30f84aad60ae65becdee42.png

image.thumb.png.3ca76aeaf6847b6e42be4dbd0d09c089.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Same thing that was in it for them kicking the can down the road over and over again... nothing.. didn't make sense yet they continued to to it because it's easier and based on this thread, their primary constituents are in favor of it, they find a reason to keep doing it. Government isn't always logical (shocker)  The most recent 15 day extension was due to a slight up tick in the 7 day moving average they needed to investigate further...

image.thumb.png.8abbabffea1e190013f20f737a8b59fc.png

image.thumb.png.ebc122df5f30f84aad60ae65becdee42.png

image.thumb.png.3ca76aeaf6847b6e42be4dbd0d09c089.png

I think they did it specifically to inconvenience you personally.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You have the option to wear an n95. As soon as studies showed that n95's greatly reduced transmission for the user--making wearers not as dependent on communal masking--it's been hard for me to muster up much "greater good" energy these days.

Oh, I'm all out of shits to give about the greater good.  I'll probably wear a N95 on my flight over, and go maskless home.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/15/2022 at 12:29 PM, Anastasis said:

China has lost their god damned mind. 

watching China just buttfuck itself over and over is fascinating. i am not a smart man, yet I can assume that shutting down your biggest city for a failing policy is just some next level 5D chess that i just can't understand. 

does anyone think this is a good idea? 

i feel really bad for those people living in Shanghai. 

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I understand what you are saying, but flying on a plane (or doing anything in crowded public spaces) was always a risk for an elderly immunosuppressed person, way before Covid started. Maybe people didn't think about it as much 3 years ago, but the risk was always there.

Assuming that person is fully vaccinated and boosted against Covid, is the risk of air travel significantly higher in April 2022 compared to April 2019?

And that person is still free to wear an N95 mask if they are concerned about it, which is probably way more than most immunosuppressed people would've done pre-Covid.

Yeah, I don't disagree.   I think the point is more to make them feel comfortable traveling and help the tourism industry.

But we spend millions (billions?) on TSA, body scanners, air marshals, and other security theater to make people feel safe.  I'm flummoxed that wearing a mask, which is just a mild inconvenience, and actually does some amount of good, at least more good than the fucking body scanners, taking off our shoes, or not being able to take water through the TSA line, is the bridge too far that gets federal court intervention.  It's bizarro world.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yeah, I don't disagree.   I think the point is more to make them feel comfortable traveling and help the tourism industry.

But we spend millions (billions?) on TSA, body scanners, air marshals, and other security theater to make people feel safe.  I'm flummoxed that wearing a mask, which is just a mild inconvenience, and actually does some amount of good, at least more good than the fucking body scanners, taking off our shoes, or not being able to take water through the TSA line, is the bridge too far that gets federal court intervention.  It's bizarro world.

If 9/11 had happened on a Dem’s watch, the TSA wouldn’t exist.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

well, maybe don't fly toddlers around during a deadly pandemic? I dunno.

and fine, say 5 (or pick a fucking number - I don't care) and under is exempt and move the fuck on. this isn't hard.

I love this post so fucking much. 

You are talking about the age group least at risk from Covid but possibly most bothered with having to wear a mask? Whether that is communicating or just being able to wear one for any extended period of time? That age group? 

You are correct, the age required to wear a mask should have been 5 or 8 but it wasn’t because a bunch of fucking idiots made this a political statement on both sides.

I am very glad glad the mandate is gone. And hopefully @PenelopeWitherspoon and I will be sitting up front on the same flight soon, by chance. I think even with our different view points on things we could still be polite to each other on a hop across the pond. 

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I can't say I'm in favor of it, in fact I'm not sure it matters so much once you are on the airplane.  However, I fly almost every week for work and I've noticed some giant benefits. 

From most to least important, here are my reasons:

1.  People talk less with the masks, which makes me very happy whenever I have to be on an airplane. Please do not talk to me unless you are asking what I want to eat/drink, thank you.  Yes, I'm ok with sitting in the exit row.  

2.  Fart smells don't seem to be as intense with masks on.  Ma'am please go to the restroom before you exercise your colon again, good lord.

3.  There is no such thing as social distancing at the airport.  People press together, standing dick to asshole in the security line and then again at the gate.  I actually liked not having my personal space invaded.  I liked it a whole fucking lot.  

4.  I love to travel, my husband is less enamored.  My husband is also a germaphobe.  My expectation is that vacations without a mask mandate are going to be harder to cajole than they have been with everyone masked up.

5.  Seeing the people that weren't willing to wear their masks made it really easy to pick out the unpatriotic assholes.  Their country asked them to do the least little thing for their countrymen and they couldn't be fucking bothered.  I like knowing who those people are so I don't accidentally get myself mixed up in their anti-American shenanigans.

1. Valid point, but you could also get noise cancelling headphones if listening to people talk bothers you. 

2. You can still wear your mask if you want to avoid smelling other people's farts.

3. Does a mask requirement have any effect on how close people stand to you at the airport? People still cram in line even in peak Covid with mask usage.

4. That's up to your husband. If the lack of a mask requirement keeps him from traveling in the future, he was probably just looking for an excuse to get out of it anyways.

5. Complete agreement, but we can't expect people to wear masks forever simply for the sake of visibly separating assholes from non-assholes.

12 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Mask requirements undoubtedly hurt the tourism industry. Dropping the mask requirement will be a net positive for the tourism industry, even if a small percentage of immunocompromised people feel less safe and decide to stay home from a trip they would've otherwise taken.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Waiting to takeoff from Atlanta on Southwest. Pilot came on the PA to say “Effective immediately, masks are now optional. America”.  🙄 

Seems like most around me have taken them off, myself included, but there were no cheers or anything. I certainly don’t really mind wearing it but am fine with it being optional at this point.  Don’t really blame the airlines for wanting it off their plates of things to deal with.

Damn. United pilot this AM asked that everyone just wear them and have a smooth flight since they were still “required”. This was about 0645. Something  change today? 

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

Well considering I'll be on a plane with 2 actual children in a few weeks, it certainly would be nice if not trying to police that on top of everything else with young kids on a flight.

No one is going to say anything to you or your kid no reason to get worked up about it at all. I have flown quite a bit this year for work and no one said anything to kids and lately I went to Sacramento and Chicago  and no one even said anything in the airport until TSA check in about a mask to adults. 

Edited by Zepol87