CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm not paying near as enough attention to Omicron data (not only not as relevant but Ukraine news monopolizing any free time).  But if Topol is optimistic that's a great sign. As he's pretty damn conservative.

I think that we are still a bit too early to tell, but hope this shit holds. 

Also worth a read:

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Skipper said:

Why in the fuck would anyone give 2 shits about who initially instituted a policy in 2020 when we are talking about current mandates in 2022.  You were literally responding to a comment about a flight last week.   You seem odd.

First I would like to congratulate you for accepting the truth.   That is a big step.    Second, I should like to educate you on something.  My first post was in fact not a nuanced statement containing much information, and most people would recognize it as something atypicals call a quip.   In the future, you should consider using context clues to determine the meaning of a statement or the intended purpose by its author.   If one types uphauling on this website, this blatant misspelling and mispronunciation could be determined to be a legitimate error, but if one notices that the other spellings and pronunciations are in line with established norms, than one could surmise that it was either a typo, or possibly an inside joke.   For more about this discussion point, I would suggest you PM Derka.

I also think it is quite a leap to have gone from a psycho to merely odd in just one post.   You should strive for consistency more.  Otherwise you might actually say something positive by the time you read this post.  

10 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

you know posting things like this makes you, and her, sound really whiney, right?

of course everyone wants to go back to normal. but ~1M dead Americans says to the adults in the room that, hey, maybe we ought to tread lightly here. maybe wait and see if another shitty variant is about to come fuck us up again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, justhookit said:

A bunch of us are back to normal. Get the vaccine/boosters and go back to living your life. You should try it there’s a whole great world out there.

We were in New Orleans this time last year right after getting the vaccine.  It kind of blows my mind people are still living like it's still pre-vaccine.  It has to be either some mental block or just part of their "identity" at this point.  We have a a company meeting soon (making up for cancelled 2020) with 1000+ attendees.  But only like 1/3 from west coast offices attending due to fear of being around that many people.  Just absolutely bizarre to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Over 1,000 deaths from Covid on March 22, 2022. For reference, that’s seven times the daily average number of deaths from the flu, looking at pre-pandemic data. Sorry that reality doesn’t support your wishes.

The reason mask wearing is a hassle isn’t the wearing of a mask. It’s the meatheads who refuse to do so. Ankle-grabbing for dumbfucks isn’t a good posture, 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

We were in New Orleans this time last year right after getting the vaccine.  It kind of blows my mind people are still living like it's still pre-vaccine.  It has to be either some mental block or just part of their "identity" at this point.  We have a a company meeting soon (making up for cancelled 2020) with 1000+ attendees.  But only like 1/3 from west coast offices attending due to fear of being around that many people.  Just absolutely bizarre to me. 

Back in San Francisco right now and just saw some dude running in a K95. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

We had a big company meeting in late February  (last month).  Attendance was optional but company has a vaccination policy, so we were all vaxxed.  We probably had about 80% of the company there.  Out of about 450 folks, I'd say 10-20 wore masks.  I was not one of them.  We had zero infections, as far as I know.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Jesus Christ you are dense.  Look at the death rate.  You clearly just don't give a flying fuck about anyone but yourself.

Put on a fucking mask. 

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

We had a big company meeting in late February  (last month).  Attendance was optional but company has a vaccination policy, so we were all vaxxed.  We probably had about 80% of the company there.  Out of about 450 folks, I'd say 10-20 wore masks.  I was not one of them.  We had zero infections, as far as I know.

Vaxed to attend + test day before is our policy.   Mask optional fortunately.  Because there is nothing more idiotic than the covid theatre of masks in meetings then everyone unmasked yelling over each other at the crowded bars.  

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ you are dense.  Look at the death rate.  You clearly just don't give a flying fuck about anyone but yourself.

Put on a fucking mask. 

Protect yourself all you want with an N95.  Absolutely nobody is stopping you and most certainly aren't judging you.   In the meantime, be aware you have an EXTREME minority position otherwise in March of 2022 as far as dictating what others should be doing.   It's necessary to point that out in the Covidian circle jerk of this thread.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Protect yourself all you want with an N95.  Absolutely nobody is stopping you and most certainly aren't judging you.   In the meantime, be aware you have an EXTREME minority position otherwise in March of 2022 as far as dictating what others should be doing.   It's necessary to point that out in the Covidian circle jerk of this thread.

It's not a vote.  Be a good human or don't, your choice.  You have obviously chosen.

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

are the you the old SkipperJ from the beforetimes/previous sites? I seem to remember you being more reasonable. maybe I'm thinking of someone else

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not a vote.  Be a good human or don't, your choice.  You have obviously chosen.

So I'm a bad human if I'm walking around without a mask when I triple boosted, case counts are extremely low and everyone that is concerned has the ability to protect themselves with an N95?  That's your take?    Do you realize the percentage of people that would agree with this take is probably in the single digits?

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Skipper said:

So I'm a bad human if I'm walking around without a mask when I triple boosted, case counts are extremely low and everyone that is concerned has the ability to protect themselves with an N95?  That's your take?    Do you realize the percentage of people that would agree with this take is probably in the single digits?

Good lord.  Five people in my house are double vaxxed & boosted.  Two caught omicron.  Another was suspicious, but didn't test.  Another caught it, but wasn't vaxxed (7 YO, not my call).

Seriously, you're being thick.  Like I said, it's not up to a vote.  It's up to people not being shitheads, and your perspective puts you on the shithead list in my view.

Clear?

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Back in San Francisco right now and just saw some dude running in a K95. 

I’ve been in Costa Rica for a few months and we see that here a lot. A large majority of the locals wear masks everywhere no matter what they are doing. Walking down the street, riding a bike, in the car, in every store, etc. It’s weird and funny because Ticos in general basically ignore laws. Traffic laws aren’t even a suggestion here because nobody obeys them. Makes it really interesting to drive around here.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Look both ways before you cross the street.

Most Americans say the coronavirus is not yet under control and support restrictions to try to manage it, Post-ABC poll finds

March 1, 2022 at 7:00 a.m. EST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/01/coronavirus-not-under-control-post-abc-poll/

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord.  Five people in my house are double vaxxed & boosted.  Two caught omicron.  Another was suspicious, but didn't test.  Another caught it, but wasn't vaxxed (7 YO, not my call).

Seriously, you're being thick.  Like I said, it's not up to a vote.  It's up to people not being shitheads, and your perspective puts you on the shithead list in my view.

Clear?

So 2 people in your house are vaxed/boosted and caught Omicron.  Not surprising given its prevalence.  Was it a big deal?  Or for those of us that have responsibly chosen to be vaccinated is it the same risk as the cold/flu we deal with every fall/winter?  If the latter did you wear a mask everywhere pre-pandemic? 

If not, has your risk evaluation forever changed or have you not recognized you have lost the ability to accurately evaluate risk?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Clear?

Cool. I wear my cloth mask anywhere it’s required even though it does nothing for me or you. It’s not a big deal to me. But the mask theatre is ridiculous. Walk into a restaurant wearing a mask but take it off when seated. Wear a mask on the plane but take it off to eat or drink. Sorry, that’s just regarded. Most of us have accepted that we are going to live with this shit forever and realize that other than getting vaxxed there is nothing we can do about it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So 2 people in your house are vaxed/boosted and caught Omicron.  Not surprising given its prevalence.  Was it a big deal?  Or for those of us that have responsibly chosen to be vaccinated is it the same risk as the cold/flu we deal with every fall/winter?  If the latter did you wear a mask everywhere pre-pandemic? 

If not, has your risk evaluation forever changed or have you not recognized you have lost the ability to accurately evaluate risk?  

Their disease, one of which was pretty serious given his age and terrific health, is not the issue.  It's the idea of not spreading the disease to other who are not vaxxed, for whatever reason.

I can't explain this to you any more clearly.  You're selfish.  That's it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Look both ways before you cross the street.

Most Americans say the coronavirus is not yet under control and support restrictions to try to manage it, Post-ABC poll finds

March 1, 2022 at 7:00 a.m. EST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/01/coronavirus-not-under-control-post-abc-poll/

First of all your poll was conducted February 20-24th.  You don't think views have changed in a month?   Someone on this thread wouldn't even concede deaths would be lower in April compared to February when we were arguing about this in February.  People had a distorted view of Omicron residual risk despite clear evidence to the contrary.   Second of all, the poll absolutely was not responsive to what I posted.  

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Cool. I wear my cloth mask anywhere it’s required even though it does nothing for me or you. It’s not a big deal to me. But the mask theatre is ridiculous. Walk into a restaurant wearing a mask but take it off when seated. Wear a mask on the plane but take it off to eat or drink. Sorry, that’s just regarded. Most of us have accepted that we are going to live with this shit forever and realize that other than getting vaxxed there is nothing we can do about it.

This.  To be clear, I've never once "complained" to an employee or not complied with any mask policy.   That doesn't mean that I can't think it's largely theatre and idiotic in March of 2022.  And I'm happy to share what I'm confident is a majority view point regarding that on a message board.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Their disease, one of which was pretty serious given his age and terrific health, is not the issue.  It's the idea of not spreading the disease to other who are not vaxxed, for whatever reason.

I can't explain this to you any more clearly.  You're selfish.  That's it.

Serious question. Under what circumstances would you deem it acceptable to lift all mask mandates if you were in charge?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You don't think views have changed in a month? 

No, I don’t think that. Most folks remember the shock of Delta coming on the heels of vaccinations.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Second of all, the poll absolutely was not responsive to what I posted.  

We will need to disagree, again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Skipper said:

Serious question. Under what circumstances would you deem it acceptable to lift all mask mandates if you were in charge?

When we're losing way less than 1,000 Americans each day to this disease.  That's the gold standard of benchmarks.

If it gets down to 100 per day or so?  Yes, then we're in the realm of a bad flu season.  We are WAY the hell above that, even now.

I will not disregard human lives, even those of humans I see as stupid or ignorant or selfish.  Call it a character flaw.

I think that measures at this point are reasonably implemented on a sliding scale. At least in ATX, cases and more importantly hospitalizations are at all all-time pandemic lows. Community transmission is very low. We've been doing a lot of dining out, still preferring outdoors when the weather is good, but doing indoors a lot as well. I wear a mask when I go into environments that require it (like the doctors office) or other high-risk settings. I still prefer a mask when going into the grocery store or the big box store, but not when running into the convenience store or restaurants. We stopped requiring our kids to wear their masks at school just before Spring Break. If the community transmission rates spike back up, or if the trend reverses with hospitalizations, we'll adjust.  I think that it's just a matter of time until we see another wave.  Maybe weeks or months, maybe longer, but just a matter of time.  When the risk dynamic appears to be changing, it will be reasonable to revise NPI practices. 

• Like 2

While I can see the rationale in local data driving local standards, it can also lead to fatigue in the populace when they don't understand how and why guidance might shift back and forth.  Some conservative prudence makes sense to me, and that could reasonably come from national data that aggregates local variations.

If the message changes too often, people start to doubt the source of the message, even if it's scientifically sound.

I'll also add that I think that it is completely reasonable to slide the scale based on the specific environment or event that you are attending.  If you are in the doctors office waiting room, there is a much greater likelihood that you are going to be interacting with someone that may be immunocompromised, that has a different risk profile, and cannot manage their own exposure risk in that setting. So wear the mask.  IMO, same for grocery stores or other indoor spaces that are similar necessities of life.  If you are at the Austin FC game, in an outdoor setting attending a recreational event, there is less risk of exposing somebody that is trying to manage their own environmental exposure risk. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'll also add that I think that it is completely reasonable to slide the scale based on the specific environment or event that you are attending.  If you are in the doctors office waiting room, there is a much greater likelihood that you are going to be interacting with someone that may be immunocompromised, that has a different risk profile, and cannot manage their own exposure risk in that setting. So wear the mask.  IMO, same for grocery stores or other indoor spaces that are similar necessities of life.  If you are at the Austin FC game, in an outdoor setting attending a recreational event, there is less risk of exposing somebody that is trying to manage their own environmental exposure risk. 

I completely agree.  I rarely wear a mask outdoors, even at my son's soccer matches.  That said, I don't sit with anyone -- I don't sit, anyway, I pace -- and if I'm in close environs, like the bathroom, the mask goes on.  Same goes with all stores, etc.

It's really not a big deal.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'm not going to be surprised if mask policies are ever lifted in most medical settings.  Eye doctor told me he's never going back after hardly getting sick generally during the pandemic compared to pre-pandemic in dozens of faces each day. I have zero problem with that.  I think the aspect I struggle with as it relates to the altruistic viewpoint of mask wearing is that those that have a different risk profile or are just generally concerned can absolutely protect themselves with an N95.  We have evidence that 1 way masking works.   If cases go back up I still have a big stack of KN95's I'll throw on at the grocery store, etc. to protect myself.  

You're just being an asshole if intentionally wearing a cloth mask.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm not going to be surprised if mask policies are ever lifted in most medical settings.  Eye doctor told me he's never going back after hardly getting sick generally during the pandemic compared to pre-pandemic in dozens of faces each day. I have zero problem with that. 

Considering how other illnesses (flu, RSV) dropped with the implementation of masks, I don't know why ICUs wouldn't make the changes permanent. No mask, no entry (including staff). Temp checks. No underage siblings in a NICU.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I'm not going to be surprised if mask policies are ever lifted in most medical settings.  Eye doctor told me he's never going back after hardly getting sick generally during the pandemic compared to pre-pandemic in dozens of faces each day. I have zero problem with that.  I think the aspect I struggle with as it relates to the altruistic viewpoint of mask wearing is that those that have a different risk profile or are just generally concerned can absolutely protect themselves with an N95.  We have evidence that 1 way masking works.   If cases go back up I still have a big stack of KN95's I'll throw on at the grocery store, etc. to protect myself.  

I know of quite a few practices that have made masking optional in their clinics. Hospitals, not yet. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Considering how other illnesses (flu, RSV) dropped with the implementation of masks, I don't know why ICUs wouldn't make the changes permanent. No mask, no entry (including staff). Temp checks. No underage siblings in a NICU.

Make complete sense. Again, I have no problem with specific rational policies in clear high risk settings.  And like you mentioned, it's as much a mitigant to all airborne viruses rather than specific to COVID.  It's the blunt wide reaching mandates I take issue with.  Luckily they are largely lifted outside of federal transportation mandates that remain (and hopefully those are relaxed on 4/18).

2 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

I know of quite a few practices that have made masking optional in their clinics. Hospitals, not yet. 

I haven't been to one yet.   But a medical setting is one of the few places I won't metaphorically roll my eyes at.  Like I mentioned, had the discussion with my eye doctor randomly as he saw me grab one from their courtesy stash when I walked in.  He mentioned at this point it has little to do with COVID and everything to do with his longest run without a cold that he can remember.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

wears a type of mask that we know isn't particularly good; complains others are engaging in mask theater

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1