CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The Commerce Clause doesn't give the president any authority. It applies to Congress.

Congress ceded that authority to the President. That is our do-nothing Congress in action.

See - Chevron Doctrine.

Edited by washparkhorn

6 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

He also doesn't really know shit about wildebeests.  The herd provides societal protection for the weak.  They will fiercely protect their young in particular.  Some of the weakest and stragglers will be taken by predators, but the herd society is a net positive and allows the greatest number of wildebeests to survive.  They aren't intentionally kicking grandma into a lion's mouth.  They do as much as they can to keep the lion away from grandma. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

I don't have to outrun the lion. I just have to outrun grandma.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is he still going?  What'd I miss?

anything the states want to do, they can only do it if the president allows them to do it.  if they do things on their own, it's only because trump decided to allow it to happen, but not because they have any authority on their own.  paraphrasing, but only kinda.

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i was watching cnn, then they cut away straight to wolf talking to daniel dale (their resident fact-checker) but i wanted more, so i turned it to msnbc, which lasted about 30-40 more seconds, then they cut away to whatever anchor is on (i don't watch msnbc) but he was like, "well, good to see that's how the president has been spending his time and energy, while the country deals with the horrible pandemic."  whatever it was, it was well timed and well delivered.

i refuse to turn to fox news, but i assume they kept the whole thing running.

trump spends most of his time doing what it seems like every other retired old white man does, playing golf and watching outrage news. 

11 minutes ago, Kilgorehorn said:

He really believes this and it scares me to death every time he says it.

so does barr.  there's a whole cadre of right-wing assholes who want to restore the monarchy.  they think the vesting of executive power in the constitution means the power of the king, rather than the power to faithfully execute the laws duly enacted by congress. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Do you mean the question that is designed to scare viewers that Michigan Governor Whitmer is banning the sale of non essential goods and how draconian it is?  I wonder if that has anything to do with her possibly being Biden's running mate.

Yup.  I should have been more specific.

1 minute ago, Upgrayedd said:

Yup.  I should have been more specific.

I guess now OAN and Fox News can bring up if she becomes Biden's VP that she could be President and then what.  She won't let you buy your dildos on line during a crisis.  Is that really who you want running things?  Vote for Trump because he is the bestest President ever.  Also, I can't decide if listening to Pence or Trump makes me sicker.  Trump is an evil moron but then Pence walks up to the mic, takes the dicks out of his mouth, and starts to praise Trump which I think disgusts me even more.

Sometimes I think Rand's supporters haven't read much more of her work than her detractors. I've read some of her philosophical writing and that's garbage. What she did and said in real life I have no regard for. But I enjoyed Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged. I've read Atlas Shrugged three times. Once in my teens, once in my 20's, and once in my 30's. I started to read it again in my 40's but my copy is one of those small paperbacks with small print and yellowing pages and my eyes weren't as good as they used to be and I know the story thoroughly anyway. 
I think it's a great book. It's important to understand it's a work of fiction and isn't an accurate portrayal of reality. But it's a fun story. It's weird, it's cheesy, it's funny, it incorporates some science fiction. I'm probably one of the few people that others would describe as a liberal who likes that book and knows it well. I'd argue that I know it better than Rand Paul or Paul Ryan do. 
Late in the book, our hero John Galt addresses the nation on the radio and gives a speech laying out his philosophy. In my paperback copy, that monologue is 57 pages long. I think it's coherent and well written and I read it in its entirety in one sitting each of the three times I read the book. I'd be willing to bet that most so-called libertarians who claim to be Ayn Rand fans never did anything more than skim it. (I was really hoping they'd complete that movie trilogy just to see how they'd handle that part, but the first movie sucked and I never bothered to watch the second so it's no surprise that project got shitcanned.)
In the summation of his speech, Galt makes this declaration: "I swear -- by my life and my love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." You see, it's that second part that really matters but which is lost on the libertarian crowd. 
For example, when you cut back on environmental regulations and allow industry to pollute my air and my water, you're cutting their costs at the expense of my increased costs of health care. You're shifting their costs to me. You're forcing me to live for the sake of another man. I help bear his costs but don't share in the profit. Is that a libertarian ideal? John Galt would not support that arrangement. We could come up with many more examples. Like if our industrial titans were all men like John Galt and Hank Rearden then there would be no need for labor unions because they would value and respect the contributions of labor and compensate them fairly, not exploit them as much as possible for the sake of their own personal enrichment. 
It's interesting to note that the recent GOP administration's much more closely resemble the dysfunctional government in Atlas Shrugged than the Democratic administrations have. 

Now imagine soldiers with this philosophy. “Sorry sir mission is too dangerous for me given my skillset and equipment. I prefer to shoot people that have clubs for weapons. Maybe you can transfer me to some place that will better suite my needs and we can both benefit.”

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so does barr.  there's a whole cadre of right-wing assholes who want to restore the monarchy.  they think the vesting of executive power in the constitution means the power of the king, rather than the power to faithfully execute the laws duly enacted by congress. 

Yep. So I guess we will see some type of reverse martial law. Soldiers going door to door and forcing people at gunpoint to go to work and out to dinner.  Citizen, consume now or be shot.

Even if we were a monarchy, how does anyone have total authority to reopen a capitalist economy?  Crisis recovery is about management and establishing trust. Without that, nothing is opening because nobody is going back to work. 

• Like 1

They really do need to start running these Trump bullshit conferences in a MST3K style. Just be talking over them with every smartass correction and call out possible. 

Serious question here I've been thinking about as well even though it's very grim. We're seeing thousands lining up for food handouts and millions are being unemployed by this horrifically bad response to a emergency. As long as the masses are fed and entertained control is maintained, but how bad does this have to get before enough people are hungry and pissed for assassinations to start happening including Trump?

• Like 1