CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

People: There are no libertarians during a pandemic! They bring absolutely zero to the political dialogue. 

Government: After watching the FDA and CDC shit the bed, we are going to slash all these regulations that unnecessarily slow innovation and development of testing in the private sector.  Also, these regulations that prevent inter-state recognition of licensing for healthcare professionals are hurting our healthcare response. Also, home delivery and take out of alcohol, totally common sense of course.

Libertarians:

c6bf9b08586c241b021dd04c204b7a85.png

7N6D.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't see anything by Stephens in the tweet you posted. 

But if you want my opinion I am happy to share it.  I don't think it's an either or.  Earlier up thread I posted links to a few different articles, in response to CaptainAnt I think, that discuss the various breakdowns at CDC and FDA.  Based on what I have seen it appears that the errors were committed by agency leadership (as well as non-political staff and administration leadership) and a regulatory framework that hampered agility and also resulted in some unintended consequences.

Ok, that tells me that you didn't bother to read the thread. There is a link to Stephens in the very first tweet. 

12 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

For those who are fans of Dr. Fauci

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dr+fauci&crid=1907M91UNKNI&sprefix=dr+fa%2Caps%2C206&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

It's a damn shame he doesn't get a cut of the profits because he deserves ever penny.

I could just as easily put this in the media bias thread because the fact check is a bunch of bull shit.  No, he doesn't say "there is nothing to worry about" but he does say "Right now, at this moment, there’s no need to change anything that you’re doing on a day by day basis."  which is pretty damn close to saying there is nothing to worry about and the fact check gives it a mostly false rating.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/13/deanna-lorraine/tweet-amplified-trump-misleads-faucis-late-februar/

February 29th on The Today Show.  And since everyone is so fond of checking my math double check to make sure that is after the third week in February for me would you?

Alexander: "So, Dr. Fauci, it’s Saturday morning in America. People are waking up right now with real concerns about this. They want to go to malls and movies, maybe the gym as well. Should we be changing our habits and, if so, how?"

Fauci: "No. Right now, at this moment, there’s no need to change anything that you’re doing on a day by day basis. Right now the risk is still low, but this could change. I’ve said that many times even on this program. You’ve got to watch out because although the risk is low now, you don’t need to change anything you’re doing. When you start to see community spread, this could change and force you to become much more attentive to doing things that would protect you from spread."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/politics/anthony-fauci-pushback-coronavirus-measures-cnntv/index.html

April 12 on Jake Tapper's State of the Union show. This is why I want to make sure the above is a quote taken after the third week of February.

"I mean, obviously, you could logically say that if you had a process that was ongoing and you started mitigation earlier, you could have saved lives," Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" when asked if social distancing and stay-at-home measures could have prevented deaths had they been put in place in February, instead of mid-March.
"Obviously, no one is going to deny that. But what goes into those decisions is complicated," added Fauci, who is a key member of the Trump administration's coronavirus task force. "But you're right, I mean, obviously, if we had right from the very beginning shut everything down, it may have been a little bit different. But there was a lot of pushback about shutting things down back then."

Asked why the President didn't recommend social distancing guidelines until mid-March -- about three weeks after the nation's top health experts recommended they be put in place -- Fauci said, "You know, Jake, as I have said many times, we look at it from a pure health standpoint. We make a recommendation. Often, the recommendation is taken. Sometimes it's not. But we -- it is what it is. We are where we are right now."

The comments from Fauci come a day after a report from The New York Times detailed the Trump administration's missteps in the early days of the pandemic and how President Donald Trump ignored his advisers' warnings of the potentially deadly disease.
An administration official separately confirmed to CNN that the government's top public health experts agreed in the third week of February on the need to begin moving away from a containment strategy and toward a mitigation strategy that would involve strong social distancing measures. The agreement among the health officials came after they held a tabletop exercise to game out the potential for a full-blown pandemic.

So was Fauci lying on February 29th when he said there is no reason to change what you are doing on a day by day basis or is this "administration official" lying to CNN?  I would assume that being head of CDC would qualify one to be one of "the government's top public health experts" so he would have been in on this meeting if it actually happened.  Either way someone is not coming clean here

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I think that those are state regulations, not federal ones.  Not sure what difference that makes.  

Well if they're state regulations and you want the federal government to cut through that red tape, so to speak, you're asking for a more powerful federal government.  Or are you simply opposed to licensing requirements for doctors?